HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2012, 01:30 PM
S Bah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Galchenyuk is more flashy.

Monahan doesn't wow you with spectacular plays or unbelievable moves, but he's still damn good and has terrific smarts.

But this was only a THN suggestion, right? Was there any hint the NHL could actually possibly do that?

And I am not giving kudos to the NHL/Bettman for anything if another season is cancelled.
No hint other than The Hockey News stirring up more interest in only real big deal now that the NHL is in Lockout mode.WJC's at Christmas & the Outdoor Game during the winter.

Last edited by S Bah: 10-09-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 02:05 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Where is Jordan Subban supposed to go? How's he looking as an NHL prospect?
2nd round currently. He's a better player defensively than PK at the same age, but doesn't have the flair, nor the pucks skills that PK had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
I've asked this before. How does Monahan compare to Galchenyuk? Do they have similar playing styles?
Both are big, strong, two-way centers. I think they both have similar upside as well (70-80 points), but that's about where the similarities stop. Galchenyuk plays with much more intensity and has better hands, but Monahan reads the play better. Monahan also protects the puck better than Galchenyuk.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
What was the general impression on Mantha? I was totally impressed when I saw him late last season.
Mantha was great on Sunday when he was playing a team that played it's fourth game in 4.5 days at the end of a lengthy road trip. Even beat up as fella on the Eagles..mind you he was a half foot shorter. On Saturday, when Cape Breton brought their A game, he was less impressive.

Consistency and smarts are my major concerns with Mantha. He can skate, he's huge and he has skill, but he doesn't always put it together. He's a solid second round prospect, but I would be hesitant at this to pick him in the first -especially in such a deep draft - unless his consistency and physical play pick up. Would like to see him throwing more checks.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Mantha was great on Sunday when he was playing a team that played it's fourth game in 4.5 days at the end of a lengthy road trip. Even beat up as fella on the Eagles..mind you he was a half foot shorter. On Saturday, when Cape Breton brought their A game, he was less impressive.

Consistency and smarts are my major concerns with Mantha. He can skate, he's huge and he has skill, but he doesn't always put it together. He's a solid second round prospect, but I would be hesitant at this to pick him in the first -especially in such a deep draft - unless his consistency and physical play pick up. Would like to see him throwing more checks.
Thanks. I'm actually hoping Mantha drops to the 2nd round, with all the picks we have, I think he'd be a nice pick up.

Have you seen Fred Gauthier play or have you had discussions with scouts about him? I haven't seen him but I'm terribly intrigued by his size and stats so far this year.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:

Always nice to have something else than armchair GM's opinion.

He could be a good second round pick up, if he doesnt pan out has a scorer he could still be a grinder or something.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:57 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Some good names in there. Do you really think that Carrier is actually a top 15 talent? I haven't seen enough of him to make a proper assessment, but he's off to a great start.

Kujawinski is a stud, no way he goes 25-30 IMO.

If we pick Domi at 15-20 I will be pissed. The last thing this team needs is another undersized centre. Especially with one who will have to make major adjustments to his game to be an NHL player.
My biggest concern about Domi is the fact he shares a disease that a former Flyer center had,Sugar Diabetes.The thing is he seems to play with the same intensity that Bobby Clarke had as well,so yeah I'm concerned that Timmins might have had temporary blindness and not noticed his play.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Teamwork

Thanks for the information guys.

Old
10-10-2012, 10:30 AM
danyhabsfan

Jordan Subban has 6 points in 6 games.

Any interest from us at the draft?

Old
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post

With the amount of 2nd picks that we will have, I would clearly give it a shot in the second round

Old
10-10-2012, 01:54 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post

From me. Not really, I'd rather take a bigger, more defensively sound defenceman if we were to take one. But if he's the BPA, why not.

We also currently have 3 second round picks. I wouldn't mind taking a combination of a skilled forward, a boom/bust defenceman, and a powerforward/hard-nosed forward. Jordan Subban certainly fits the bill on the second one.

Right now, best case scenario I want: Nicholas Baptiste, Chris Bigras, and Gustav Possler. I highly doubt all three of them will still be available by the second though.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Sweeney

JS Dea has another 3 golas nights and 4 points. 14 goals and 19 points in 8 games... pretty impressive for an 18 years old. Andrighetto got 17.

For the guy who ask about Gauthier, i've seen him once this year and was great on a line with Oke and Trainor... could be a good late 1st round pick with his shape. (6'4, 220lbs, Center). But he could climb some spots if he continue to play like that

Old
10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
For the guy who ask about Gauthier, i've seen him once this year and was great on a line with Oke and Trainor... could be a good late 1st round pick with his shape. (6'4, 220lbs, Center). But he could climb some spots if he continue to play like that
As a Rimouski fan I had the opportunity to see him plenty of times already.

He's playing on the first line, on first PK and on first PP with a winning team, so that helps his stats, but he's no Drouin or McKinnon. While he lacks a bit of a offensive touch, he makes up by playing a great defensive game, and he is a really good skater for a 6'4 kid. At his height you could wish to see him developping more of a mean streak, but his size and combination of speed and work ethic, you'll see him for sure drafted in the 3 first rounds.

Old
10-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post

He's playing on the first line, on first PK and on first PP with a winning team, so that helps his stats, but he's no Drouin or McKinnon. While he lacks a bit of a offensive touch, he makes up by playing a great defensive game, and he is a really good skater for a 6'4 kid. At his height you could wish to see him developping more of a mean streak, but his size and combination of speed and work ethic, you'll see him for sure drafted in the 3 first rounds.
He's ranked as a "A skaters" by the NHL central scouting whick means (i think) that he's got 1st round talent. I wish he fall to 2nd round and the habs pick him.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:29 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Read "The Hockey News" Oct.15th issue titled "Lottery 2013 Watch" in which they try to pick whether MacKinnon or Jones will be 1st overall choosing was based on the 10 teams that finished at the bottom last year.They say the Habs would take MacKinnon and if I chose,Nathan would certainly be the wise decision considering the Habs depth of defensive prospects.The voting comes out 6-4 in favor of MacKinnon,Winnipeg's choice I thought could have gone either way,my choice would have been Jones joining Bogosian as a great shutdown pairing.Any way the lottery goes if the odds are weighted to favor the bottom ten teams from last season,the hype surrounding the upcoming draft will increase at least tenfold.This way of selecting would certainly be greeted by hockey fans as being fair to the teams in need,unlike the "Crosby Sweepstakes".In this scenario the Habs could truly have a chance to draft Johnathan Drouin or even MacKinnon.Kudo's to the NHL and Bettman if indeed the poorer teams (least points last season)draft Top Ten and the other twenty have a separate lottery for the final 20 picks.
No, the NHL will do the stupid thing and reward the teams that have missed the playoffs 3 times in a row. Rewarding perennial losers is what the NHL does best.

They should go with last year's finish, while also instituting a new rule that no team can draft first overall more than 2 years running, thus ensuring the oil don't get a fourth first pick in a row.

Last edited by bsl: 10-10-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old
10-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Marc BargainBin
only on playstation

Send a message via Skype™ to Marc BargainBin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
No, the NHL will do the stupid thing and reward the teams that have missed the playoffs 3 times in a row. Rewarding perennial losers is what the NHL does best.

They should go with last year's finish, while also instituting a new rule that no team can draft first overall more than 2 years running, thus ensuring the oil don't get a fourth first pick in a row.
I believe the oilers in particular wouldn't be considered as likely for first, as in the last lockout, there was a condition on the balls given about 1st overall picks

Old
10-11-2012, 08:44 AM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
He's ranked as a "A skaters" by the NHL central scouting whick means (i think) that he's got 1st round talent. I wish he fall to 2nd round and the habs pick him.
He was ranked "A" prospect not having played a single game in the Q, so he'll probably be reevaluated.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Teamwork

He sounds like a Penner to me, I hope he develops a mean side.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Et le But

Gauthier

Old
10-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Beendair Donedat

I'm hoping the Habs get MacKinnon somehow in the draft. A one two punch up the middle of MacKinnon and Galchenyuk with a strong blueline and Price in net? Stanley would be coming home.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Watched Portland's game last night to focus on a couple of their 2013 guys, Seth Jones and Oliver Bjorkstrand. Jones is really composed...he was eating up minutes in all situations and looking good doing it. Defensively he was really sound, but I found the offense didn't seem to come natural to him, at least not in this game. In offensive situations (e.g. the PP) he looked fine, but he seemed a little hesitant to create his own offense. Not necessarily a bad thing, better than forcing plays which aren't there. Kind of reminded me of Victor Hedman in that regard.

Bjorkstrand is an interesting player. He's smart, shifty, and likes to buzz around the net. Defensively he was fine, but it's not his forte, and he doesn't bring much (if any) physicality. Loves to shoot the puck (maybe a bit too much) so I was reminded of Jason Blake.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Et le But

I'm a little skeptical about Jones' offensive potential myself, at least the ability to constantly put up points. Don't get me wrong he's a great, great prospect but I agree with the Hedman and also Erik Johnson parallel where his offensive game is conservative

Of course it's still too early to write him off in any way, he has all the potential in the world, but it wouldn't surprise me if people are "disappointed" because of his box scores.

Old
10-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Beendair Donedat

Way too early. Jones will have to adjust to the longer schedule and all around better league in the WHL, but he's looked good so far... I think he'll slow down and drop a bit towards the end of the season, maybe hurting his rankings slightly. The offense will be there, he's got a cannon. I wouldn't mind him in a Habs uniform at all, but I prefer MacKinnon.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Whoever takes Jones knows how much raw physical abilities he has. Erik Johnson could be a good comparison perhaps.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Et le But

For the record despite my massive hard on for Barkov I still don't think you could justify drafting anyone but Mackinnon over Jones, at least with what we know now.

But for now, here's more Barkov love:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip780851#clip780851

Last edited by Et le But: 10-11-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 12:36 PM
S Bah

Quote:
First off...for someone to say that on Oct. 7 the top 8 for the draft is pretty much set.....that's never going to be the case in any draft, let alone this one. Secondly...let's not get too crazy about the Monahan bashing - he's a stud.

Went to Val D'O this weekend to see Cape Beton play Saturday and Sunday. Carrier was exceptional on Saturday..Sunday he was gassed like the rest of the team after playing 4 games in 5 nights after a long roadie, but still had three helpers.

I was standing with two other NHL scouts on Saturday, and like me they were wholly impressed by Carrier, especially on his goal. He let go a slapshot that the goalie will be seeing in his nightmares..I don't think I've ever seen a better shot pro or junior. He played like a top 20 prospect for me - solid in all aspects of the game. There were concerns about his skating last year, but he lost 17 pounds, and he looks plenty quick now. Very skilled, very smart, very strong, will take the hit to make the play... I like him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post

Quote:
I think Carrier will be a 1st round pick probably 15-20 no later,he could be a very good second line center behind Galchenyuk.There is no way he will make the 2nd round IMHO.

Closed Thread