HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL to Expand 2 teams in Canada - THN

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
NHL to Expand 2 teams in Canada - THN

Was just out and about listening to the Fan590, Tim and Sid.
They were talking about Jason Kay of the Hockey News saying that once the CBA is finalized, the NHL will be announcing 2 new teams in Canada. Namely in Quebec and Toronto.

https://twitter.com/JKTHN/statuses/256376786852667392

Old
10-11-2012, 01:27 PM
CerebralGenesis

que??

They don't even have a new CBA yet so how can they guess this? Also, this assumes Phoenix-->Seattle? BecausE I think Seattle gets a team before another in the Toronto area. Hell even Hamilton before another in the Toronto area.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Elever
Hth

Gary Bettman does not seem to me like a guy who's gonna do these type of moves at once. The NHL would at the moment rather than dealing with the Phx situation just keep pushing it back because they're concetrated on CBA negotiations. So if there is a full yr lockout which doesn't get resolved till the summer like last time then I really doubt that Bettman will have the prep or time to move two separate teams to Canada or to expand 2 to Canada.

Also I'm a huge fan of having expansion and a large league but the NHL is just stupid if it wants to do this considering the other franchises being in distress. Their best bet now would be to relocate when the opportunity is there and not expand.

And also this was just lunch radio speculation.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Tinalera

Did they say who their sources were-not names but did they indicate they had some sort of insider knowledge? I just hear enough of these media interviews with other media where their "opinion" is often stated as a fact, and I would think this is along those lines.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Did it come out of the mouth of one of the two guys entitled to talk on behalf of the League?

True or not, it's probably a deliberate leak. It'll win brownie points with Canadians. It's a great PR move for the owners.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Reality Check

The last thing this league needs is more teams

Old
10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Makes sense if you think about it. It could make realignment easier, pumps some short-term cash into the coffers, diversifies the long-term income of the league a bit more than it is already, and helps prop up "problem" franchises in the short term. It might even be a calculated to move to re-position the league relative to the new CBA in regard to revenue sharing, salary cap, etc.

I'd be down with it.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
I don't think two additional Canadian franchises would be a bad thing. The question is whether that's by expansion or relocation.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:41 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I don't believe this because don't the Maple Leafs have a say on if another team was to start up in the Toronto area?

Old
10-11-2012, 01:43 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Would make sense as it allows the realignement to take place. 4 conferences, 8 teams in each. Top 4 in each conference make it.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Won't be another team in Toronto. Quebec and Seattle will get teams.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
As exciting as it would be to have another team in Toronto I really think that Seattle should get their shot first. If the NHL wants to grow they shouldn't tap in to a saturated market.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:46 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I don't believe this because don't the Maple Leafs have a say on if another team was to start up in the Toronto area?
But they were just sold: The NHL could have made their vote on this matter part of the sale. (I.E. This sale will only be approved if you vote FOR an expansion team in Toronto).

Same thing just happened in baseball, in order to buy the Houston Astros, the owner had to accept being realigned into the AL West.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
I would rather see Pheonix relocated to a viable market, and possibly Coumbus (I would say NYI, but I don't think lil Garry will ever pull a team out of the NYC area) as well, before we add two more teams. Having these teams relocated in Quebec City and somewhere in Southern Ontario would help strengthen the league financially, and also help to aid other struggling teams in the long term. As long as we do this and don't place anymore teams in crap markets in the States, we should be fine.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Tinalera

I'll say this-if they DID have a "nudge nudge" agreement in the works for that-and the NHL expands to 32 teams-I would be shocked if they didn't then push for 20 teams in the playoffs that's been rumoured the past few years.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I'll say this-if they DID have a "nudge nudge" agreement in the works for that-and the NHL expands to 32 teams-I would be shocked if they didn't then push for 20 teams in the playoffs that's been rumoured the past few years.
20 teams in the play-offs would be terrible to organise. 16 is perfect.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:53 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
But they were just sold: The NHL could have made their vote on this matter part of the sale. (I.E. This sale will only be approved if you vote FOR an expansion team in Toronto).
While I have The Hockey News Mobile App I will believe it when they actually come out with a story about this. Not from someone who posts on Twitter unless they were Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie or Pierre LeBrun who I trust a lot more. Plus nothing was mentioned on TSN and Rogers Sportsnet, so how come they aren't breaking this story?

Old
10-11-2012, 01:54 PM
KevFu

Quote:
While I have The Hockey News Mobile App I will believe it when they actually come out with a story about this. Not from someone who posts on Twitter unless they were Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie or Pierre LeBrun who I trust a lot more. Plus nothing was mentioned on TSN and Rogers Sportsnet, so how come they aren't breaking this story?
Because it's hearsay and conjecture?

Old
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
As exciting as it would be to have another team in Toronto I really think that Seattle should get their shot first.
Seattle will probably "get their shot first"; their team just happens to be named the Phoenix Coyotes right now.

Old
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
20 teams in the play-offs would be terrible to organise. 16 is perfect.
The idea if I remember it was (under a conference format) teams 7-10 would have a "mini playoff" (not unlike Wild Card) to determine the 7th and 8th seeds.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I could see the sell job being that 9th and 10 place teams get at least some "playoff" monies in a 3 or 5 game series.

Last edited by Tinalera: 10-11-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: clarity
Old
10-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
It might be the last thing the League needs but those very juicy expansion fee's are exactly what the owners need or maybe want is a better word.

If true, it would shed some light on why the owners are being so hardcore at the table right now.
#1) They want to share as little possible of those expansion fee's with the players in the future and are setting(sneaking?) such provisions up in the new CBA.

#2) The current 7 Canadian NHL teams account for more than a 1/3 of total league revenues. Adding 2 more Canadian teams will further inflate that number and increase overall revenues increasing the Cap and more importantly, the Cap floor. Again, the owners are trying to make provisions to protect smaller market teams like PHX, NYI and CAR from being "priced" right out of even the Cap floor.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:56 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
phoenix to TO and another team to Quebec?

Old
10-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't think two additional Canadian franchises would be a bad thing. The question is whether that's by expansion or relocation.
If it's relocation, fine.

But watering down the product more via expansion is a terrible idea. Much less for a league that wants to continue believing it's bigger than it actually is.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
The Tweet is from the guy running the story in the Oct 29th edition of the Hockey News, Jason Kay.
He's the Editor-in-Chief of THN btw.

Agreed though, is it more fluff than fact to sell more copy...we'll see I guess.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
The idea if I remember it was (under a conference format) teams 7-10 would have a "mini playoff" (not unlike Wild Card) to determine the 7th and 8th seeds.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I could see the sell job being that 9th and 10 place teams get at least some "playoff" monies in a 3 or 5 game series.
Doing the Wild Card thing just confuses things. Have 16 as it's easy. 16/8/4/2/1

Closed Thread