HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kreider (Now ranked #11 overall by HF)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2012, 07:43 PM
  #26
segmentation fault
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
I tried those 1 leg squats tonight. Couldnt even go halfway with no weight. Big bag of nope.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:21 AM
  #27
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,439
vCash: 500
Brind'amour was never the skater that Kreider is. Their games are different. The really unique thing about Chris is the combination of size, speed, strength with good goal scoring instincts.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:38 AM
  #28
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Are you kidding me?!?!?!

Brind'Amour was a star player for nearly his whole career, we would have his number in the rafters if he has the same career as Brind'Amour. If you are disappointed in that, well you're going to end up in disappointment since Kreider will not be Brind'Amour!
Toews is a bit hyped right now (/quite recently?), but I definitely don't think its far fetched to compare Rod B's position in the NHL in his prime with Jonathan Toews.

I definitely think it remains to be seen what "role" Kreider will be able to build up for himself in the NHL. Those goals where he roars down the wing and blasts one home that he scored in the PO's won't amount to like 30 per year over the course of a career if you get what I mean. You can't build a career on those type of plays alone. I don't think Kreider ever will become a super-effective fore checker either.

I think he can go one of two potential roads basically:

i) He can keep doing what he does right now, but just natrually become a little better at it overall with time. His potential would then probably be around a 20+20 output and he would be seen as a very valuble 2nd-3rd line winger who gives the other team a hard time every time he is on the ice.

ii) He could really expand his register and become more poised with the puck and more of a effective factor on the circle. Like say more of a Corey Perry type of player. If he can do this, his potential would be alot higher.

You see hints of that type of ability right now, but the overall quality is definitely not "there" yet. And normally, I do think most players in that cathegory is further along at his age. At the same time, Kreider has come along very well lately, and there is no reason to expect him not to keep developing. Its stuff like how he handled the puck, how fast he can execute a play after he takes controll of the puck, how good he is at getting in controll of a bad pass or whatever. How good he is at recognizing what areas of the ice he should put the puck in on the circle. How natrual it comes for him. Kreider has no flaws in these areas, but he do is pretty square compared to say a Corry Perry...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:24 AM
  #29
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Kreider scores the VAST MAJORITY of his goals the same way everyone else does, around the net. Crashing the net. Rebounds. Tip ins. Redirectons.

Won't be an effective forechecker? He already is.

Stop comparing him to hall of fame players. Its unfair to him and the hall of fame players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:23 AM
  #30
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Kreider scores the VAST MAJORITY of his goals the same way everyone else does, around the net. Crashing the net. Rebounds. Tip ins. Redirectons.

Won't be an effective forechecker? He already is.

Stop comparing him to hall of fame players. Its unfair to him and the hall of fame players.
I think it's legit for a fan to ask if Kreider can become a star in this league. My response was to that question. And I don't get the relevance at all of your post in that context. Kreider is an effective forechecker? Has that ever made someone a star? No. If he were extremely effective at it, on the other hand, it would have made a difference in this context. Kreider scores goals going to the net? Well that does everyone else, and he isn't unique there so that comment is irrelevant.

What he does better than most is streaking down that wing. But not to the extent either that it alone puts him in like a star category. Like say next to a Parise. I wouldn't rule out him having that potential though, but he needs to develop in accordance with ii) to get there IMHO...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:31 PM
  #31
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
You said "i dont think Kreider will ever become an effective forechecker".

What context. It was pretty straight forward.

He already IS an effective forechecker. He was in BC and he was arguably the Rangers best forechecker in the Conference Finals.

You said shooting off the rush wont equate to 30 in the NHL. Which would imply thats the only way he scores which is far from fact. He scores the vast majority around the net.

I didn't mention the word star anywhere in my post.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:36 PM
  #32
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
You said "i dont think Kreider will ever become an effective forechecker".

What context. It was pretty straight forward.

He already IS an effective forechecker. He was in BC and he was arguably the Rangers best forechecker in the Conference Finals.

You said shooting off the rush wont equate to 30 in the NHL. Which would imply thats the only way he scores which is far from fact. He scores the vast majority around the net.

I didn't mention the word star anywhere in my post.
LOL I can't believe Ola didn't realize that you were responding directly to what he said.... pretty funny.

I think Kreider will be fine. How much offense he produces on this team is up in the air right now but we all know the kid has a nose for the net.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:02 PM
  #33
cmdevisser
Registered User
 
cmdevisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
The thing with Krieder is that no one can legitimately say what his true potential is.

I think we can successfully rule out Krieder ever becoming a truly elite playmaking, do it all offensive threat (not to say that he can't be a good passer, but he doesn't seem to have the natural vision to rack up 50+ assists every season), but outside of that the sky is really the limit.

Based on his physical tools and work ethic Chris Kreider could end up being the best American to ever lace up his skates or he could end up being an impact player on the level of a player like Jordan Staal.

He could easily end up as one of the best snipers this league has ever seen though if he puts everything together.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:42 AM
  #34
BroadwayHustle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
The thing with Krieder is that no one can legitimately say what his true potential is.

I think we can successfully rule out Krieder ever becoming a truly elite playmaking, do it all offensive threat (not to say that he can't be a good passer, but he doesn't seem to have the natural vision to rack up 50+ assists every season), but outside of that the sky is really the limit.

Based on his physical tools and work ethic Chris Kreider could end up being the best American to ever lace up his skates or he could end up being an impact player on the level of a player like Jordan Staal.

He could easily end up as one of the best snipers this league has ever seen though if he puts everything together.
Kreider isn't going to get 50+ assists, but then again Stepan wasn't close to that. Kreider will be able to put up at least 25-30 Assists in my opinion, especially if he is playing with Nash or Gaborik. He is a balanced player with great passing, but it is overlooked because of his size, speed, and shot.

BroadwayHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:52 AM
  #35
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
He is an excellent passer. Doesn't quite have the vision of a guy like Stepan or Richards, which is why he won't be the playmaker on the PP, but his instincts and on-the-rush passing ability is really good.

His teammates in college didn't expect 90% of the touch passes he gave them, which is why they usually went unnoticed.

It's really sad that it takes a post-season run for him to get good attention. It's like nobody aside from Rangers fans watched him in college. Even when he'd show up empty on the score sheet I was blown away by some facet of his game. Never seen a player's stats be more misleading.


Last edited by ColonialsHockey10: 10-11-2012 at 11:59 AM.
ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:21 PM
  #36
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,348
vCash: 500
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...on-performance

Kreider @ #11 overall according to HF

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
  #37
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post

It's really sad that it takes a post-season run for him to get good attention. It's like nobody aside from Rangers fans watched him in college. Even when he'd show up empty on the score sheet I was blown away by some facet of his game. Never seen a player's stats be more misleading.
I think he honestly looked a lot better in the NHL than he did in college

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
  #38
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
I just had to change my username...

had to do it..

I love how it lists "Blob Underwear" as my previous username (had it for 1 day) and not hightide85, which I've had for 6 years. hahaha

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:01 PM
  #39
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think he honestly looked a lot better in the NHL than he did in college
Because he's playing with better players. He thinks the game at a very high level, and a lot of his qualities went to waste at BC.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:11 PM
  #40
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Because he's playing with better players. He thinks the game at a very high level, and a lot of his qualities went to waste at BC.
I think there's some truth to that, though it's kind of true for pretty much any talented player that's a legit NHL prospect in college hockey, but I get the feeling that it also was him kind of getting a different role with the Rangers than he had at BC.

At BC, it seemed like it was decided that he was not the designated puck carrier, and was used for his speed and other than that to float around looking for soft spots, or do some battling along the boards.

In the NHL, he spent a lot more time skating and pressuring the puck on offense and being aggressive once he got it.

Just kind of making stuff up, I dunno. He seemed a lot less tentative in the NHL than he did in college

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:23 PM
  #41
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Because he's playing with better players. He thinks the game at a very high level, and a lot of his qualities went to waste at BC.
I tend to agree, however, the knock on him (as recently as a year ago) was that his hockey sense wasn't great at all.

Now, all of a sudden, (and more accurately, imo) it's one of this strengths.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:28 PM
  #42
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
I tend to agree, however, the knock on him (as recently as a year ago) was that his hockey sense wasn't great at all.

Now, all of a sudden, (and more accurately, imo) it's one of this strengths.
I still dont think it is. He has very strong physical attributes and a strong shot.

Didnt see anything in the playoffs that made me say "Wow, hes a heady player"

He needs to learn more about the game before anyone even thinks about attaching a star label to him.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:11 PM
  #43
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,439
vCash: 500
How successful he's going to be will be a part due to the Rangers coaching staff's ability to exploit his strongest assets. A case maybe in point would be how they used Hagelin last year--running plays where a player would dump the puck in an offensive corner with the idea of Carl getting there first. I think CK has stronger offensive instincts than Hagelin--I think his wide speed and strong shot off of a stride can be a real weapon. There are multiple ways in which CK's game can be exploited and enhanced against opposing teams over the next several seasons.

Going forward there are guys that the Rangers are going to have to lock up and Kreider is one of them--McDonagh another.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:05 PM
  #44
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I still dont think it is. He has very strong physical attributes and a strong shot.

Didnt see anything in the playoffs that made me say "Wow, hes a heady player"

He needs to learn more about the game before anyone even thinks about attaching a star label to him.
How about this? The presence of mind to wait for Girardi to skate into the zone off a line change?


KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:12 PM
  #45
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think there's some truth to that, though it's kind of true for pretty much any talented player that's a legit NHL prospect in college hockey, but I get the feeling that it also was him kind of getting a different role with the Rangers than he had at BC.

At BC, it seemed like it was decided that he was not the designated puck carrier, and was used for his speed and other than that to float around looking for soft spots, or do some battling along the boards.

In the NHL, he spent a lot more time skating and pressuring the puck on offense and being aggressive once he got it.

Just kind of making stuff up, I dunno. He seemed a lot less tentative in the NHL than he did in college
Kreider, IMO, doesn't have the ability to control the flow of the game like say, Kuznetzov, who can create at a high level even with bad linemates. He's not the type to skate around and dangle, he makes solid use of his linemates. In college he always went to the right spot, but didn't get fed the puck, or he would make a wonderful pass, but his linemates weren't expecting it.

You could certainly be right, but I saw it as less tentativeness and more being in the wrong playing atmosphere. Even in juniors I don't think he would have tore it up, he'd be playing with the same quality competition. That's why we saw his best work prior to the NHL in international play, with the best players his age.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:56 PM
  #46
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I still dont think it is. He has very strong physical attributes and a strong shot.

Didnt see anything in the playoffs that made me say "Wow, hes a heady player"

He needs to learn more about the game before anyone even thinks about attaching a star label to him.
Wow really? That's weird because "heady" is exactly how I would describe him as a player.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:29 AM
  #47
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Wow really? That's weird because "heady" is exactly how I would describe him as a player.
Criticizing Kreider is a lot like shoveling **** against the tide around here, because a lot of people are convinced hes going to be the next Ranger star. I think he'll wind up being a very good player, but Im not convinced he'll ever eclipse 30 goal/55 point territory and, in my mind, a player needs to get over that hump before the word "star" is ever even discussed.

What I saw from Kreider was a physical specimen. Great speed, big body, solid shot. I'd love to know what you saw from him that suggested the cerebral part of the game was one of his strengths. His offensive instincts seem to be solid, but I saw a player that was sometimes adequate, sometimes awfully confused away from the puck/in the defensive zone. Kudos to him for doing as good as a job as someone can do stepping into the NHL playoffs from college.

But if I have to look into my crystal ball (which I normally hate to do), I see a player getting by far more on his physical traits than his hockey smarts. As opposed to someone like Derek Stepan, who is completely the opposite. Doesnt mean both cant be effective. But at the same time, I think both have the same upside, which is a solid 2nd line/borderline 1st line player, not particularly a star.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:53 AM
  #48
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,348
vCash: 500
I have been saying this for a couple of years now, Chris Kreider will be Max Pacioretty. That is his comparison. 30-35g + 30-35a.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 09:27 AM
  #49
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
The thing that excites me the most about Kreider, is that last year in the playoffs, there where games where he was the best player on the ice, and shifts where he was completely dominate. Like the puck was following him around. I really do think he is gonna be something special

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
  #50
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
I'm amused by the amount of spite on the prospect board. So many people are up in arms about Kreider being ranked that high.

Kreider is a student of the game. You can teach positioning and strategy. You can't teach 6'3 225lbs with elite wheels and a quick release. Tortorella has turned dozens of players with holes in their game into 200ft players. If he needs help offensively, he has one of the premier power forwards in the NHL to learn from. Can't ask for a better situation.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.