HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Are Fans of Big Market Teams Annoyed At the Money-Losing Teams?

Old
10-11-2012, 03:14 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Also, I think you would be surprised at the amount of Leafs and Habs fans across Canada (/North America/the World).
I can give a great example of that. In December 2007 I went to a Maple Leafs game in Tampa Bay and there had to be at least 500 - 1000 Leafs fans who were there.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Why do people keep trying to move Florida? Despite their low ticket prices, people show up to their games, and I'm pretty sure that I read an article where their arena makes plenty of money from the shows it hosts to cover the Panthers deficit and that owning the team is just an added benefit.
Well it's a question of whether it's more profitable to move the team. Business is about maximizing profits.

But I haven't heard anything from the panthers' owner that said they want to move, so it's not going to happen.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:31 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
Well it's a question of whether it's more profitable to move the team. Business is about maximizing profits.

But I haven't heard anything from the panthers' owner that said they want to move, so it's not going to happen.
It's more profitable to be the Toronto Hockey League, but here we are with 30 teams around the contintent.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I can give a great example of that. In December 2007 I went to a Maple Leafs game in Tampa Bay and there had to be at least 500 - 1000 Leafs fans who were there.
Yup. Last year I tallied up all the arenas in the league where 'Go Leafs Go' chants could be heard audibly on TV. I forget the exact number but it was over half the league and from a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years.

Heck even Rwanda and China are getting into the act. Ok, we may have cheated on those ones.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post

I agree, let's move 2 or 3 more teams to Toronto and see how the Leafs do.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Florida has averaged 85% attendance or higher in every single year since they've been in the league, and has only fallen below 90% twice. Now consider that the team missed the playoffs for 12 straight years.

I'll also point out that any measure that you use ("money-losing", "poor attendance") also condemns every Canadian city in the last 20 years with the exception of Toronto and Montreal. Would the NHL look better if teams losing money and having poor attendance were all shipped south en masse, leaving only 2 Canadian cities?

EDIT- Did you SERIOUSLY say Saskatoon?
An 85% attendance rate is actually very low.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:02 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
I bet you aren't a fan of Canucks, or any West coast team. It was also pretty annoying during 2010-2011 when people were claiming Canucks were Canada's team. They are not. They are BC's team. Most fans in other provinces hate Canucks with a passion, even though we haven't won a cup yet. Can't wait to get that cup... fire Bettman!
No, I'm a Caps fan but that's not surprising as I lived 40+ years in the Washington DC metro area before moving to the Pacific Northwest. With the exception of a couple of French-Canadians who moved there from Quebec all my friends in Vancouver are exclusively Canucks fans.

SaintPatrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I agree, let's move 2 or 3 more teams to Toronto and see how the Leafs do.
Could be the kick in the arse they need, to improve.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I would say that you argue that because you don't want the Cap Ceiling to be lower.

You can't reasonably argue that a significantly lower Cap Floor wouldn't make teams that need to reduce their spending to that level be less competitive. And whether those teams struggle economically now because they can't afford the Cap Floor, or whether they struggle economically latter because fans lose interest in a team that can't compete... It's all the same in the end.
I don't believe , lowering the floor by 10 million will cause fans to turn from their teams.

10 million would go a long way in fixing some teams problems, add in a lowered HRR split and better rev sharing and well.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I don't believe , lowering the floor by 10 million will cause fans to turn from their teams.

10 million would go a long way in fixing some teams problems, add in a lowered HRR split and better rev sharing and well.
anything else? how about a blank cheque..... just fill it out for whatever

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:52 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
anything else? how about a blank cheque..... just fill it out for whatever
Yeah, the NHL has 5 times less revenue sharing by percentage than the other major leagues. Totally unrealistic!

Old
10-11-2012, 11:02 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Yeah, the NHL has 5 times less revenue sharing by percentage than the other major leagues. Totally unrealistic!
And it costs a lot more to make ice in Dallas in March than it does in Edmonton.

I have no problem with revenue sharing, but to give Phoenix 40M just so they can break even and be viable is a joke.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 12:29 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
And it costs a lot more to make ice in Dallas in March than it does in Edmonton.
Seriously?

Vancouver 2007:
$80 revenue
-$1.1 operating income (profit)
-$47 player expenses
=$31.9 other expenses (travel, scouting, management payroll, making ice, etc)

Dallas 2007
$89 revenue
-$10 operating income (profit)
-$47 player expenses
=$32 other expenses (travel, scouting, management payroll, making ice, etc)

In the other seasons since the lockout, Dallas' "other expenses" have been lower than Vancouver's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I have no problem with revenue sharing, but to give Phoenix 40M just so they can break even and be viable is a joke.
#1 - Phoenix doesn't need $40 million to break even. Forbes had it $9.7 million before the bankruptcy, and $24 milllion now.

The growth of that number is for two reasons: Litigation costs and debt growth; The loss at the gate the bankruptcy inflicted. The debacle PHX has become has seen their attendance drop from an average of 15,200 fans (over the previous five years) to 12,300 the last three seasons. When you consider that the team is GOOD now and was horsecrap in the five years before the bankruptcy, it probably has cost them 5000 fans.

If the NHL had MLB's revenue sharing percentage, the Coyotes would be getting more than enough.

#2 - You're not increasing revenue sharing to save Phoenix. You're increasing revenue sharing to make the league better. Fix the system for the BLUES and the ISLANDERS and the markets who "Don't deserve it" will come around, too.