HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL to Expand 2 teams in Canada - THN

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 03:29 PM
madhi19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
expansion fees?! Are you really talking about expansion fees?!

The league can't find a buyer for a pretty good Phoenix playoff team - where are they gonna find not one, but TWO more suckers... er I mean owners... that want to join this club?

So now they'd need to find 3 new owners to join this group whose main source of income is currently locked out. Man, it doesn't get any better than this!
Who to say they won't just contract the Coyotes, divide the players between the 29 teams during the morning, sign the CBA at noon and sell and announce expansion teams to Quebec city (Now) and Seattle and Markham (2015) before primetime news. In the ruffle of news peoples will forget that the Coyotes saga ended in disaster.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:30 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs05 View Post
YES gives qc an expansion because it's a canadian team they loved hockey so they'll be happy...

Of course Seattle would get the best, a fully formed competitive team

Qc lost a good team, they deserve a good team back. I know an expansion is better than nothing and I would be happy for them but I'm a bit sick of seeing canadian markets being treated as second class markets just because they love the game.

I think Seattle would be a nice hockey market but Qc will be ready before them. At the moment if a curent team needs to move it's going to Quebec. I'm pretty sure PKP would pay more for a team in a proven hockey market than Seattle.
Guess it depends on the opinion of the league itself on where they view the list of markets to relocate to. Seattle and Quebec top 2 of that list and opinion will vary on who is #1 and who's #2.

Quebec city will always be there for the league based on that they are building the arena regardless if they get a team or not.

On the other hand Seattle doesn't have a viable temp facility and some questions if there is an owner that wants to play in the Key while the new arena is being built.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:30 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Who to say they won't just contract the Coyotes, divide the players between the 29 teams during the morning, sign the CBA at noon and sell and announce expansion teams to Quebec city (Now) and Seattle and Markham (2015) before primetime news. In the ruffle of news peoples will forget that the Coyotes saga ended in disaster.
Why redistribute the players, then have an expansion draft?

Old
10-11-2012, 03:31 PM
gstommylee

Now here's a thought since the NHL still owns phx couldn't they technically move the team themselves and then sell the team to the group in when a ownership group becomes available.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Chardo

Expansion could be a bargaining chip to be used by the owners. Accept our proposal, Mr. Fehr, and we'll give your union 46 more NHL players.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:33 PM
billybudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I disagree. Other people claim NBC would hate for Canadian teams to be added, however when NBC only shows the same teams I previously mentioned it seems they don't care about the other United States based teams. So why don't they prove it by showing different teams not the same ones.
I will repeat, blame Nielsen Media Research. Their numbers, unscientific as they are, are why NBC shows who they show. It's not a matter of caring, its a matter of gross totals that can be taken to clients to sell TV spots.

If Nielsen says 600 people watch hockey in, say, St Louis (Nielsen occasionally says goofy things like this...really unrepresentative, unscientific sample size they extrapolate from...sometimes as little as 600 households for an area of 5 million), NBC can't get toothpaste companies or whatever, to buy commercials. So you just get Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, Philly, Washington, the Rangers and occasionally Buffalo. Those are the cities that do good Nielsens.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:35 PM
gstommylee

Wouldn't moving a US team to another US city thats a better market like seattle would be better for ratings regardless of which teams NBC/NBCSN shows?

Seattle expands the league into other tv markets than just Seattle. Alaska Oregon Idaho and western part of Montana. Get a regional sports network in the Northwest going and you could get more people watching NBC and NBC Sports Network for hockey.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:37 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I will repeat, blame Nielsen Media Research. Their numbers, unscientific as they are, are why NBC shows who they show. It's not a matter of caring, its a matter of gross totals that can be taken to clients to sell TV spots.

If Nielsen says 600 people watch hockey in, say, St Louis (Nielsen occasionally says goofy things like this...really unrepresentative, unscientific sample size they extrapolate from...sometimes as little as 600 households for an area of 5 million), NBC can't get toothpaste companies or whatever, to buy commercials. So you just get Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, Philly, Washington, the Rangers and occasionally Buffalo. Those are the cities that do good Nielsens.
In the end the NHL can decide if they want to add more teams in Canada and NBC doesn't run the league, so who cares what they think. So if more Canadian teams more revenue and etc then it will be done and it's already proven that the 7 Canadian teams make a lot of the revenue.

With the exception of their Playoff series vs the Rangers in 2007 did NBC ever show any other Atlanta Thrasher games? I don't think they ever did and I doubt the NHL cared what they thought when they got moved to Winnipeg.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:39 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
In the end the NHL can decide if they want to add more teams in Canada and NBC doesn't run the league, so who cares what they think.

With the exception of their Playoff series vs the Rangers in 2007 did NBC ever show any other Atlanta Thrasher games? I don't think they ever did and I doubt the NHL cared what they thought when they got moved to Winnipeg.
NHL will care when the NBC contract is up for renegotiation and the league would be better position for more money with Seattle having a team.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:41 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Why redistribute the players, then have an expansion draft?
Why give good or great players to PKP when you can skim the cream off the top and leave him with crumbs?

Old
10-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Wolf357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I take it geography was not your major in school.

Nice....
Then again to be fair, if you are from the center of the universe its easy to not realize there is anything outside of the GTA.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:42 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Expansion could be a bargaining chip to be used by the owners. Accept our proposal, Mr. Fehr, and we'll give your union 46 more NHL players.
But what does that do for current PA members who already have jobs and are negotiating this contract? Contraction is really a more useful tactic.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:43 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
But what does that do for current PA members who already have jobs and are negotiating this contract? Contraction is really a more useful tactic.
Why would contraction do the league any good when it comes to negotiating?

Old
10-11-2012, 03:45 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
NHL will care when the NBC contract is up for renegotiation and the league would be better position for more money with Seattle having a team.
As someone mentioned the NBC contract is locked in and it's for what 10 years? Anyway the point is there is nothing they can do about it and I will say again if the NHL thought having more teams in Canada is best for them then they will do that, without wanting the opinion of NBC.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:47 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
I totally doubt this.

Why would a league crying out in financial pain want to spread the misery? The poor abused owners cannot make a go of it in many cities as it is. Vegas, Kansas City and Portland go begging for hockey while the dead franchises are artificially animated by the sick minds in the head office.

Leagues with roaring business models are able to expand. Does the NHL really think absense makes the heart grow fonder and fans will rush to embrace a league that uses them for leverage?

The NHL will be damn lucky to keep thier current numbers.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:47 PM
madhi19

Quote:
But that a decade from now they got plenty of time to move or expand to the west coast before the NHL start negotiating with NBC again.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:50 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
As someone mentioned the NBC contract is locked in and it's for what 10 years? Anyway the point is there is nothing they can do about it and I will say again if the NHL thought having more teams in Canada is best for them then they will do that, without wanting the opinion of NBC.
Isn't it the leagues best interest to expand its foot print (i don't mean necessary via expansion) and grow the sport.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:53 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Isn't it the leagues best interest to expand its foot print (i don't mean necessary via expansion) and grow the sport.
The NHL has tried that with their exapnsion in the United States with those non traditional markets. If some markets are failing and they could do a lot better in Canada then it's best the NHL move them to a Canadian city and at least they would be more sucessfull and make the NHL a lot more revenue.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:54 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
But that a decade from now they got plenty of time to move or expand to the west coast before the NHL start negotiating with NBC again.
True but would it be better for the league to get the fanbase for said Seattle NHL team going asap thus put them in even better position when the negotiations start with NBC?

Old
10-11-2012, 03:56 PM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
It's not nice making fun of the Sens like that.
It's a good thing you didn't say Sens fans, we all know those are a myth

Old
10-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Wolf357

Quote:
While I have The Hockey News Mobile App I will believe it when they actually come out with a story about this. Not from someone who posts on Twitter unless they were Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie or Pierre LeBrun who I trust a lot more. Plus nothing was mentioned on TSN and Rogers Sportsnet, so how come they aren't breaking this story?
You seriously trust Dreger as a reliable source?
In the months leading up to the anouncement of the Jets return to the NHL Dredger was the most outspoken media in terms of negativity for the NHL to come back to Winnipeg. He was adimit in that the Jets would never return...to the point of being a ******.
Ask anyone who followed the Return of The Jets and they will back this up...

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 10-11-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: filter circumvention
Old
10-11-2012, 04:01 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
The NHL has tried that with their exapnsion in the United States with those non traditional markets. If some markets are failing and they could do a lot better in Canada then it's best the NHL move them to a Canadian city and at least they would be more sucessfull and make the NHL a lot more revenue.
Seattle is a better market than those cities they recently expanded to. If it wasn't for lack of a proper arena Seattle would been expanded to during the league's last expansion. If NHL moves US teams to Canada then what for Seattle? Who is the next ready market besides Seattle that has potential groups that wants a team there.

Last edited by gstommylee: 10-11-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I like the idea of two more teams in Canada, just not through expansion.

Old
10-11-2012, 04:08 PM
aqib

Quote:
Wouldn't moving a US team to another US city thats a better market like seattle would be better for ratings regardless of which teams NBC/NBCSN shows?

Seattle expands the league into other tv markets than just Seattle. Alaska Oregon Idaho and western part of Montana. Get a regional sports network in the Northwest going and you could get more people watching NBC and NBC Sports Network for hockey.
Although Seattle has the Seahawks, Mariners, University of Washington, and Washington State. Not to mention a possible NBA team. How many markets in the US is the NHL #1 if there are other sports there?

Old
10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I like the idea of two more teams in Canada, just not through expansion.
Which brings up the question that i mention in my previous post. Which other market that the league is going to expand to that has a willing owner to go with Seattle?

Closed Thread