Fantasy football war stories

Old
10-11-2012, 03:50 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Fantasy football war stories

Time for fantasy football war stories

Last week I had most of my team on a bye week. all but 1 starting WR and my starting RB. I had to start 2 WR and 1 RB who were 'Out'. So out of the 9 positions to start I was down to 6......

And freaking won.

Why you may ask? My Starting QB was Aaron Rodgers 26.10 Yahoo points
My starting WR was Percy Harvin 23.6 Yahoo points.
Baltimore's defense and kicker

Also helps that my opponent had only scored a total 89.54

What's your story?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:18 PM
DallasSports

IIRC, I almost lost one week because of Rex Grossman in the infamous "The Bears are who we thought they were" MNF game (148 yards passing, 4 INTs, 2 lost fumbles).

I had a moderate lead over my opponent. I had my QB left and my opponent was done, but it never occurred to me that a QB would put up such a pathetic performance that I would be in danger of losing.

For the next 2-3 years after that, I seriously considered benching MNF players on occasion because of what happened that week.

DallasSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

I lost because Ndamukong Suh missed an extra point.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I won a championship in 2005 with a QB platoon of Brad Johnson and David Garrard averaging about 9 points per week after Culpepper and Leftwich were injured early in the season.

I can't remember the rest of my team though and it bothers me every time I tell the story. But I think it was pretty good considering the production from my QBs.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Trap Jesus

I won my league one year (and finished high in the regular season) with the second least amount of points in the league. I was putting up 70-80ish points and squeaking out wins pretty much every week. Unbelievable luck. Every other year it seems to be the opposite.

I've lost on extra points a couple times. There was one last season (I forget the teams) where they were down by two possessions and got a TD late before trying for the onside kick. It was a question of whether they'd kick the extra point on the first TD or go for 2. They kicked the extra point and ended up throwing a pick after.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:35 PM
SomeDude

That whole touchception thing. I had Green Bay's defense. With the interception and points not added to Seatte's score, I would've won.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
tbcwpg

A couple of weeks ago, ESPN scoring league, went to bed having won 95-94. The next morning, woke up and the dreaded "stat adjustment" took away 2 points from my D, giving me a loss instead.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
This year I am in a league where I was 0-3-1. I am 3rd (maybe 2nd now) in points for....but I have had an overwhelming number of points scored against me, over 100 more than anyone else. I've checked back; every team I've faced has had their absolute best performance against me so far. Facing me = Incredible week. My tie came because Julio Jones was supposed to get 12 points; I needed 2 to win. He gave me 1.

I got my first win last week by one damned point. My opponent, who had only one victory, was supposed to get 110 points. He put up 148, of course....his season best.

How the hell is that possible!? Why does that keep happening to me?

Edit: Oh great. My upcoming opponent has great matchups for all his major players and a few minor guys. Only two or three bad ones. Here it comes again.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-11-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 01:18 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSports View Post
IIRC, I almost lost one week because of Rex Grossman in the infamous "The Bears are who we thought they were" MNF game (148 yards passing, 4 INTs, 2 lost fumbles).

I had a moderate lead over my opponent. I had my QB left and my opponent was done, but it never occurred to me that a QB would put up such a pathetic performance that I would be in danger of losing.

For the next 2-3 years after that, I seriously considered benching MNF players on occasion because of what happened that week.
Same thing happened to me that game. Had Grossman in...he played like **** ... THOUGH, as an Arizona fan(s), we refuse to speak about that game.

But, as far as the thread goes...I won my league a few years back where I forgot to check/set my line-up from about Week 5 all the way through the playoffs. I don't know how I did it, but I don't question it.

Last edited by TheMurdocktor: 10-12-2012 at 01:24 AM.
TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:56 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Had been something like 0 for 7 in the same league going into the season. Decided to say **** it and I named myself the ultra creative "This is my Year". Ended up winning the championship and even went back the following year but came up short.

Not that great but I did call my shot

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 09:49 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
Remember back when the Chiefs had Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. So my RBs were Shaun Alexander and Larry Johnson, and my team was strong at WR. I trade Larry Johnson and a WR for Priest Holmes, as Priest was the starter and was getting more points.

LITERALLY two days after the trade, Priest Holmes goes down with a season ending injury and Larry Johnson goes off to have about 1700 yards in the last 9 weeks of the season. Plus that was the year S. Alexander had a monster year. I would have had the Championship locked up if I didn't make that trade.

I've yet to return to the playoffs since that year in that league.

#cursed

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Time for fantasy football war stories

Last week I had most of my team on a bye week. all but 1 starting WR and my starting RB. I had to start 2 WR and 1 RB who were 'Out'. So out of the 9 positions to start I was down to 6......

And freaking won.

Why you may ask? My Starting QB was Aaron Rodgers 26.10 Yahoo pointsMy starting WR was Percy Harvin 23.6 Yahoo points.
Baltimore's defense and kicker

Also helps that my opponent had only scored a total 89.54

What's your story?
WTF?

If Rodgers isn't your regular starter, who is?

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:10 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
WTF?

If Rodgers isn't your regular starter, who is?
No one else but I have Philip Rivers.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
I lost my undefeated record to a 1-4 teams because of my many players on bye weeks and freaking Sanchez!

Was one point behind my opponent last week with the Jets driving in the 4th Quarter. I was in striking distance of taking the lead when Sanchez threw that game ending interception. I had Tebow as my 2nd QB and Green as my 2nd RB. All I needed was 11 yards to get 1.1 pts and win. It was still a long shot to pick up that 1.1 pt i needed to win but i was still hopeful.

My opponent had the Houston defense so that was the most crushing interception I have experienced in my fantasy football life.

I really wanted to keep my undefeated record

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
This year I am in a league where I was 0-3-1. I am 3rd (maybe 2nd now) in points for....but I have had an overwhelming number of points scored against me, over 100 more than anyone else. I've checked back; every team I've faced has had their absolute best performance against me so far. Facing me = Incredible week. My tie came because Julio Jones was supposed to get 12 points; I needed 2 to win. He gave me 1.

I got my first win last week by one damned point. My opponent, who had only one victory, was supposed to get 110 points. He put up 148, of course....his season best.

How the hell is that possible!? Why does that keep happening to me?

Edit: Oh great. My upcoming opponent has great matchups for all his major players and a few minor guys. Only two or three bad ones. Here it comes again.
Opposite in 1 league for me. Top 2 or 3 at the moment and 4th to last in points

Moses Doughty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

This week in my TD only league, where the average points scored per week per team is like 50 I scored 71 and the guy I played scored 151.

He had Rodgers, Greene, F.Jackson, V.Jackson, Fitzgerald, Wayne, Matt Bryant and Denver's D.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:07 AM
tv14

Absolutely dreadful this week. Lost 96-49, and dropped to 4-2. I had one player score over 7 points, and none over 10.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:13 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I have Rodgers and Harvin. I dread their bye weeks. Still. I'm back in the playoff picture and I could use a big night from all my guys

Old
10-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

five of my six defensive starters had BYE's this past week, I thought only two did the week before, big srewup//oversight on my part. So between last tuesday and wednesday, I had to go frantic on trades (without giving anything up) and waiver pick ups and threw out a hilariously bad patch work defence...

...that surprisingly played all right, and in some cases exceeded expectations and actually made up for some sub par performances on my offense and after being down the entire week, Rahim Moore went out last nite and had 6 solo tackles allowing me to somehow pull out a 109.5 to 108.9 win.

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Muh
Beadle

Not football, but **** it. Few years ago I was in the semi-finals of my fantasy baseball league. The matchup came down to the Sunday Night Baseball game. Needed Zambrano to throw a CG shutout to steal ERA and get the CG stat...the dude throws a no hitter. Went on to win the final matchup too.

As for football, I had a miserable draft when it came to RBs. Right now I have S.Jackson, B.Bolden and Alex Green. While I also owned C.Benson, Ronnie Brown and Rashad Jennings at some point. Add on that my TE Hernandez was out for 3+ weeks or so....I am 5-1.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Ziggy66

Well this story should be entertaining. I am bombing in a 12 team league that I am in with my friends.

Heading into this week I was 0-5. three of those weeks I had lost by under 10 points so my frustration is boiling over at this point lol.

I was losing 78-92 coming into Mondays game. I had Decker left playing and my opposition had no players. Bare with me but I may be a tad off on my pts but you will get the general idea...

Decker catches the ball and is wide open...it could be a 80yrd TD....running running......trips.....FML what the hell is happening!!! ok settle down still a full half to play and he got some decent yardage.

Finally decker gets a short gain and a TD which brings me within 1.8 for the win.......1.8!!!! I got this!!!!!

Drinking my beer watching the game.......Decker receives a nice 20+ yard pass from Manning along the sideline...I start jumping up and down with a few fist pumps and feeling of accomplishment and relief......my friend coughs and says ummmm look at the TV..............in a big yellow box.........FLAG...... and who is it against....Decker.....on the replay it was a bad call..........goes to a punt then another broncos interception for a TD and my night was done.

Totally discribes my season so far........0-6 and still searching for a big W and now four loses under 10pts but this one hit home the hardest lol. So glad I joined two random NFL leagues as well.

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:58 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Was up by 11 with the last two players going being Favre with the Vikings for me and whoever the Vikings were playing D's for my opponent. Final play of the game is a pick 6 after Favre forced it into double coverage. Minus 3 for Favre, Plus 9 for his D for the INT and the TD.

Woof. The worst part is my buddy was sitting next to me at the bar who had the opponents D.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Richards to Gaborik

A few weeks back I was playing somebody who had Romo and Austin active in MNF. At some point in the 3rd quarter I'm down 1 point to him, and keep in mind I have no more players, so i figure it's over. But then Romo goes and throws 2 interceptions, while not completing a single pass to austin. I go from losing by 1 point to winning by 1 point because of the interceptions...I was stunned.

Richards to Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
A few weeks back I was playing somebody who had Romo and Austin active in MNF. At some point in the 3rd quarter I'm down 1 point to him, and keep in mind I have no more players, so i figure it's over. But then Romo goes and throws 2 interceptions, while not completing a single pass to austin. I go from losing by 1 point to winning by 1 point because of the interceptions...I was stunned.
I won a game like this a few years ago. I think it was 2008.

I remember it was a Monday Night Game and my opponent had Eli Manning. I happened to be at the Flyers game with him that night too.

He was up by 1 with like 1 min left and Giants were getting smoked. Eli throws a meaningless INT and Browns kneel on the ball and I win by 1.

What makes it funnier is I had just traded him Eli a few weeks earlier for Dwayne Bowe after he lost Brady for the season. (I had Rivers as my other QB)

I ended up winning the championship that year too.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Aquin001 on Ice

Week 4 this year. Going into Sunday Night Football, I'm down by 14 with three players to go (McCoy, Bennett, Cowboys D/ST). After SNF:

McCoy: 13 points
Bennett: 0 points.

Thats it. All I need is ONE point from Cowboys D/ST to seal the win. Romo throws two Pick-6's that inexplicably count against the D/ST on ESPN, but regardless, they pull through with 2 points to give me the 92-91 win. Until...

STAT CORRECTION: Cowboys D/ST was credited with an extra fumble recovery, taking 2 points off the board for me. I lose 90-91, and the chirping ensues. Until...

STAT CORRECTION #2: ESPN accidentally gave Jamaal Charles (his RB) 92 rushing yards instead of the 88 he really got. This was fixed Wednesday or Thursday, and it brought us to a 90-90 draw.

Man, ESPN really needs to figure out its ****.

Aquin001 on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote