HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|12-8-0-1|Matt Frattin Appreciation Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
The leafs with JVR and another top 6 power forward and then the bottom 6 with Ross, Broll, Biggs, Devane, D'Amigo, Komorov, and maybe Monahan ++

Then on D Neilson and Strasburg on the way

Will be a nightmare to play against and will finally end the curse of the weak slow Leafs
Dave Morrison, those are his guys. He likes character, heart, tough, rough, good kids. Likes the OHL and WHL, and when he has a high pick, he drafts skill like Rielly and Kadri so he's not one dimensional. He started in the 06 draft, but really I think when Burkie came aboard in 09 you could see how he and Burke were going to shape this team.

People sick of seeing the leafs play passive hockey where we were often outmuscled and easily intimidated, those days are coming to an end.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:25 PM
TheCLAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
The leafs with JVR and another top 6 power forward and then the bottom 6 with Ross, Broll, Biggs, Devane, D'Amigo, Komorov, and maybe Monahan ++

Then on D Neilson and Strasburg on the way

Will be a nightmare to play against and will finally end the curse of the weak slow Leafs
I think you mean Nilsson and Granberg lol

Old
10-11-2012, 07:22 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Looks like Kadri, Aucoin and Ashton will be on the same line.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Lol Ashton's production will skyrocket.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:31 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I listened to Aucoin's interview and he said he will be paired up with Kadri and Ashton. Ashton is going to be the powerforward who passes them the puck a lot.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:34 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
It was already pretty decent for a 20yr old AHL rook.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
This is GREAT news because this guy has a very good scoring sense, people I hope finally will see this.

However I wonder who is on Colborne's line.

10-11-2012, 07:39 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Wouldn't be surprised to see Colborne and Ziggy on a line together, swapping the C-spot much like I imagine Kadri and Aucoin will be.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:41 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Kadri - Aucoin - Ashton
Colborne - Ziggy - D'Amigo
Hamilton - McKegg - Deschamps
Scott - Acton - Komarov

wouldn't be surprised to see something like that.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Kadri - Aucoin - Ashton
Scott - Acton - Komarov

how do you feel about ross playing in the echl? I really wish we could loan a couple players out to another ahl team

Old
10-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCLAM View Post
While the news on the Devane is extremely encouraging, given original argument on his third round selection, he still has a big development curve. It is yet to be seen whether he will be a power-forward, grinder, or at safest bet a fighter in the NHL. Probably best to keep the guy in the AHL until he can do something note-worthy and then slowly bring him into a role of the big-squad (if capable). Devane has improved leaps in terms of overall skill-level and if he can keep up the hard-work it will pay dividends on both ends. I'm more interested in seeing if he can translate some offense and become a 20-40 point guy.
This is what I always questioned about the early Devane pick. I couldn't imagine many teams had Devane rated higher than Foligno, Eakin and Cizikas, so I question why Buke wouldn't wait until the 5th round to take him. I mean Devane was pretty much an OHL enforcer with little to no offensive upside in his draft year, and there were a bunch of kids still on the board that would have been much safer bets. This is why I don't believe management when they say its always best player available.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Bills09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Looks like Kadri, Aucoin and Ashton will be on the same line.
we will likely see then

Kadri - Aucoin - Ashton
Deschamps - Colborne - Abbott
Hamilton - Zigomanis - McKegg
Scott - Acton - D'Amigo

Old
10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

so pumped about this season. just moved to TO and i can literally see ricoh from my front door. it's a 15 minute walk to the box office for me. i can decide to go to games at the drop of a hat.

definitely hitting the opener on sat.

EDIT: what's the likelihood of a sell out on saturday? if I head down to the box office around 2, should i be alright?

Last edited by maplehawk: 10-11-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
This is GREAT news because this guy has a very good scoring sense, people I hope finally will see this.

However I wonder who is on Colborne's line.
Any combination of Frattin, D'Amigo, and Hamilton. Those are the guys he had chemistry with last year. Ashton aswell, but it appears he's got potential linemates already. Wouldn't surprise me to see McKegg on his wing.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:31 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
so pumped about this season. just moved to TO and i can literally see ricoh from my front door. it's a 15 minute walk to the box office for me. i can decide to go to games at the drop of a hat.

EDIT: what's the likelihood of a sell out on saturday? if I head down to the box office around 2, should i be alright?
just grab tickets online and youre set

Old
10-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
This is what I always questioned about the early Devane pick. I couldn't imagine many teams had Devane rated higher than Foligno, Eakin and Cizikas, so I question why Buke wouldn't wait until the 5th round to take him. I mean Devane was pretty much an OHL enforcer with little to no offensive upside in his draft year, and there were a bunch of kids still on the board that would have been much safer bets. This is why I don't believe management when they say its always best player available.
People are going to be surprised by Devane's hands, he's not a stereotypical tough guy. He has a good touch around the net, he can play, I was glad we snapped him up at #68 when we did. It tells us the Leafs wanted him bad enough, that they didn't want to risk losing him. This may be a peculiar comparison to some but Jamie reminds me a little bit of Bob Probert. In terms of being a heavyweight with soft hands.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:15 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
People are going to be surprised by Devane's hands, he's not a stereotypical tough guy. He has a good touch around the net, he can play, I was glad we snapped him up at #68 when we did. It tells us the Leafs wanted him bad enough, that they didn't want to risk losing him. This may be a peculiar comparison to some but Jamie reminds me a little bit of Bob Probert. In terms of being a heavyweight with soft hands.
Clark's got softer hands then Probert and beat the **** out of him twice in 1 game.
http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2008/11...obert.html?m=1

Clark is god

Old
10-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post

From where?

Old
10-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Kadri - Aucoin - Ashton
Scott - Acton - Komarov

That's pretty close Zeke here's the lineup per The Toronto Star.

Quote:
Will there be enough ice time for five lines?

That will be a difficult juggling act for the coaching staff early on. When you consider D’Amigo, Scott and Acton form the fourth line, it tells you a lot about the depth. Ice time should be dished out fairly, if not evenly, in a league where three-game weekends are common. Three of the forwards will be sent elsewhere for more playing time once the pecking order becomes more clear. Here are the lines at the moment:

Carter Ashton/Keith Aucoin/Nazem Kadri

Greg McKegg/Mike Zigomanis/Ryan Hamilton

Nicolas Deschamps/Joe Colborne/Leo Komarov

Jerry D’Amigo/Will Acton/Greg Scott

And how’s this for a fifth line: Brad Ross/Kenny Ryan/Spencer Abbott, easily a second or third unit on many clubs.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...-league-season

Old
10-12-2012, 08:20 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
That's pretty close Zeke here's the lineup per The Toronto Star.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...-league-season
Quote:
What kind of impact will Leo Komarov have?

It’s safe to say Komarov is the one player everyone is most anxious to see in action. Komarov, drafted by the Leafs in 2006, won the KHL championship with Dynamo and had a year left on his contract, but asked for permission to pursue his NHL dream in Toronto. He’s advertised as a pesky forward with no fear and lots of energy. His skating and puck skills already stand out on a deep Marlies roster. There are high expectations for this promising forward.
I was wondering about Komarov. Haven't read much about his camp, but if his skills are standing out on this team it is a good indicator.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-12-2012, 08:34 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Taking a look at the rosters within the division, I imagine Rochester will give the Marlies their biggest headaches this season. They have a good group of young talent: Markus Foligno, Luke Adam, Zemgus Girgensons, Phil Varone, Mark Pysk, Brendan McNabb, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc to name a few.

And have a real strong infusion of veterans including some with NHL experience. Mark Mancari is a top AHL forward in any other season, Nick Tarnasky is a goon who can chip in offensively, but is NHL experienced also (he was apart of those goon videos in the KHL last season). Corey Tropp was very strong for the Sabres last season, Cody Hodgson I expect will rip it up offensively. Kevin Porter spent the last few seasons in the NHL and I imagine he scores highly also.

Their goaltending is solid also, and have a good coach. Just by taking a look at the roster, I imagine they will be one of the top teams in the division (with the Marlies of course ). That's not to say the other teams are push overs, Marlies will battle with all of them, but Rochester should give them the biggest challenge.

10-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
The thing is, he put up respectable numbers in the KHL, which is a much better league.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:42 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Taking a look at the rosters within the division, I imagine Rochester will give the Marlies their biggest headaches this season. They have a good group of young talent: Markus Foligno, Luke Adam, Zemgus Girgensons, Phil Varone, Mark Pysk, Brendan McNabb, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc to name a few.

And have a real strong infusion of veterans including some with NHL experience. Mark Mancari is a top AHL forward in any other season, Nick Tarnasky is a goon who can chip in offensively, but is NHL experienced also (he was apart of those goon videos in the KHL last season). Corey Tropp was very strong for the Sabres last season, Cody Hodgson I expect will rip it up offensively. Kevin Porter spent the last few seasons in the NHL and I imagine he scores highly also.

Their goaltending is solid also, and have a good coach. Just by taking a look at the roster, I imagine they will be one of the top teams in the division (with the Marlies of course ). That's not to say the other teams are push overs, Marlies will battle with all of them, but Rochester should give them the biggest challenge.
It is going to be interesting to see how the NHLers do in the less organized AHL.

One thing the Marlies did was add AHL veterans to the line-up, in Aucoin and Yeo. We'll have to wonder whether any improvement is due to a better prospect base, or a better group of AHL veterans.

Leafs could use a couple seasoned veterans to provide leadership. Having a couple vets with a winners' attitudes could go a long way.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
From where?
from where did i move? im originally from hamilton, but i've lived in australia for the last 2 years and i just got home. decided to give TO a try.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Hawaiinleaf

The AHL is tough and a lot of teams have multiple guys who can fight and play. The lineups being proposed here have no orr or devane slightly concerning

Closed Thread