HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Forsberg - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2013 undrafted)

Old
10-11-2012, 08:40 PM
wings5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He's been very good in my viewings this season. So shifty, great hands, avoids being hit to make up for his lack of size and really has some GREAT chemistry with Colin Jacobs. I've always backed him up, expecting him to eventually prove me right and I think he's doing that so far this season.

Still not strong enough and isn't great defensively but he works hard and is so good offensively at creating open space for himself.
So he is playing wing?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 12:40 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
How's his team mate Zach Pochiro been? My little brother was linemates with him here in Vegas
I've seen Pochiro a couple times. Looks like a good player. Good size, strong, very fast too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
So he is playing wing?
I think they alternate to be honest. I've seen both Jacobs and Forsberg play W and C throughout a game. I think Forsberg has actually been on the wing more than Jacobs, though.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 02:14 PM
HabLover

Quote:
I've seen Pochiro a couple times. Looks like a good player. Good size, strong, very fast too.

I think they alternate to be honest. I've seen both Jacobs and Forsberg play W and C throughout a game. I think Forsberg has actually been on the wing more than Jacobs, though.
Pochiro has done quite well and had that one huge game with 4 or 5 pts......he's a real gritty kid, with some decent skills but at 18 has less of a window to show what he has. So far so good though I would say.

You are right on Forsberg, I think depending on the situation he plays Center and/or Wing, but probably a bit more wing. He didnt play the other night in Kootenay so hopefully its not another injury problem.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Pochiro has done quite well and had that one huge game with 4 or 5 pts......he's a real gritty kid, with some decent skills but at 18 has less of a window to show what he has. So far so good though I would say.

You are right on Forsberg, I think depending on the situation he plays Center and/or Wing, but probably a bit more wing. He didnt play the other night in Kootenay so hopefully its not another injury problem.
"Lower body, day-to-day" according to the weekly report.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:46 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Has been dissapointing statistically thus far. Can anyone shed some light on him? I can see him dropping to the later rounds if he cant prove to be healthy and light the lamp.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Has been dissapointing statistically thus far. Can anyone shed some light on him? I can see him dropping to the later rounds if he cant prove to be healthy and light the lamp.
Just saw him for the first time last night.

His lack of speed is quite obvious and personally, I didn't find him very strong. However, what I do like about him is that he has above-average offensive skills combined with a high hockey IQ.

Not only can he make smart passes, he has a decent shot that makes him quite a versatile offensive weapon near the half wall. He can make quick little plays down low or to the blueline, or sneak in and wait for a shot.

However, its hard to project him because there aren't many (if any) undersized NHL forwards that lack both strength AND speed. They either have both or just one.

Again, only one game, so maybe he had an average game, but he's a talented player, just not sure if it will translate into the NHL.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:58 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Can someone give me a idea of Forsberg's upside? He seems like an intriguing pick.

Thanks in advance.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

And on that note, remember, just one game, but in that game, he rarely played with Colin Jacobs because it was Jansen Harkins first game.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
And on that note, remember, just one game, but in that game, he rarely played with Colin Jacobs because it was Jansen Harkins first game.
How did Harkins look?

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
How did Harkins look?
Looked like a rookie. He was quick, agile, had some impressive control of the puck. But its hard to really judge because it was his first game in the WHL and the Cougars do have problems offensively. But to be honest, didn't pay great attention to him.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:45 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

10 pts in 20 games so far. any comments on his upside draft potential?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Parise9Crosby87

is he bad or just playing on a really bad team?

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:18 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
10 pts in 20 games so far. any comments on his upside draft potential?
Still think he's one of the most talented offensive players the WHL has to offer for 2013.

Put him with the proper linemates and he is an extremely dangerous player. The downside of his game is that he might be top 6 or bust.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:01 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
is he bad or just playing on a really bad team?
Cougars aren't very good, and I'm likely putting that lightly. They started out well and got everyone's hopes up about being a team that can challenge for higher playoff positioning, but we all know that didn't last long, and they're now back to being under .500.

Forsberg is just another victim of being on a bad/average Cougars team, and just looking at his point totals isn't a good way to judge how he may be doing.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Cougars aren't very good, and I'm likely putting that lightly. They started out well and got everyone's hopes up about being a team that can challenge for higher playoff positioning, but we all know that didn't last long, and they're now back to being under .500.

Forsberg is just another victim of being on a bad/average Cougars team, and just looking at his point totals isn't a good way to judge how he may be doing.
To me, Forsberg isn't a player that is going to carry a line, but has the potential of being a very good complimentary player who needs the right linemates to succeed in the NHL.

Sadly, with Prince George being a weak offensive team this season, its hard to highlight Forsberg's well-rounded offensive skillset.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
To me, Forsberg isn't a player that is going to carry a line, but has the potential of being a very good complimentary player who needs the right linemates to succeed in the NHL.

Sadly, with Prince George being a weak offensive team this season, its hard to highlight Forsberg's well-rounded offensive skillset.
I agree. If he were able to carry a line, his statistics would reflect that. He would definitely have more points then he currently has if he were on a line that has a good supporting cast around him.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:00 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I agree. If he were able to carry a line, his statistics would reflect that. He would definitely have more points then he currently has if he were on a line that has a good supporting cast around him.
Forsbergs biggest problem is he plays for a coach who has no idea how to develop players. Dean Clark is a cavern of huge potential gone bust. Some highly touted players under his tenure as a WHL coach? Pavel Brendl, Kris Beech.

Players who have flourished under his tenure then went onto a good NHL career? Maybe Eric Fehr is as close as you can come.

That from a coach with 12 years in the WHL.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:09 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Forsberg was fantastic to start the year playing with Colin Jacobs. They had great chemistry. Don't think they've played together recently.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:38 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
I think he is going to drop to the 3rd or 4th round. The skill is there but he needs to mature physically big time.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:21 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Still think he's one of the most talented offensive players the WHL has to offer for 2013.

Put him with the proper linemates and he is an extremely dangerous player. The downside of his game is that he might be top 6 or bust.
I'd say he's pretty solidly in the category of top 6 or bust as of right now. St. Croix went fourth round after him and Wruck put pretty much put most of the team's offensive load on their shoulders as 17-year-olds while battling similar size/skating issues, that's something Forsberg isn't even close to doing right now and I don't see many more NHL attributes in him than St. Croix. Just don't see how Forsberg is going to translate really but the season is only 1/3 done so I guess he could show more. It seems like scouts, watchers almost want to find parts of his game to put on a pedestal just because he was first in the bantam draft and that somehow requires validation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Forsbergs biggest problem is he plays for a coach who has no idea how to develop players. Dean Clark is a cavern of huge potential gone bust. Some highly touted players under his tenure as a WHL coach? Pavel Brendl, Kris Beech.

Players who have flourished under his tenure then went onto a good NHL career? Maybe Eric Fehr is as close as you can come.

That from a coach with 12 years in the WHL.
And Dean Clark has to be one of the worst coaches in the WHL for my money. This guy is still riding his success from 10 years ago on highly stacked Hitmen teams and there's been many reports of him treating players like absolute garbage.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:37 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:

Haven't seen him play, but judging from some comments, he sounds a lot like Kyle Wellwood. Is that a fair comparison?

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
arsmaster

Anyone had a chance to see Brad Morrison, 15 year old has 2 points in 2 games.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Parise9Crosby87

maybe he gets traded to a good team

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

Alex Forsberg(2013 NHL Draft) demands trade

2013 nhl draft hopefull, and former 2010 1st overall selection in the Western Hockey League draft, Alex Forsberg has demanded a trade from the Prince George Cougars in WHL. He was considered a 1st round pick at the start of the season but has struggled a bit in his second year and his stock has dropped. He went home for Christmas break and hasn't come back and told PG he wants out. Pretty big news, extremely skilled 17 year old forward. Maybe end up in Seattle playing with his 19 year old brother Jesse??? Seattle desperately needs a 17 year old highly skilled forward.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:41 AM
Falconator

Disappointing for PG, but I hope it all works out for both parties.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote