HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread: Games thru Nov. 30th to be cancelled| Part III.

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 12:43 PM
The Messenger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ith-salary-cap

Looks like he's playing with fire a bit. Basically insinuating that if the lockout continues, they might have to go back on accepting a salary cap to begin with.

I for one wouldn't cry over a capless NHL. But that's very unlikely.
If the players are going with that threat the owners could retaliate with OK that's done BUT from here on in no more guaranteed contracts. We are going the way of the NFL. Players would back off quicker than any thread on this board stating Kessel is an all-star turning into a Burke bashing extravaganza.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:52 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
That's awesome. No NHL for a few years. Might as well just admit if it goes past a year, there will be no more NHL because I'm guessing a lot of fans will give up, a number of teams will not be able to carry on much past a year of no revenue and if it were able to start up again, the fanbases will be so depleted that whatever new agreement they've reached will be paying the players more than what is being taken in. That will only cause even bigger problems.

I sincerely hope they do not destroy this league as my days of watching hockey will be done. I am one of those fans that cheers for the TML logo. If that ceases to exists, there is no other team I'm going to jump to, I'm done watching hockey period.
There will always be a best hockey league.

Whether they call it the AHL, NHL, KHL, WHA I really don't care.

If some teams fail I really don't care.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-11-2012, 12:55 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
If the players are going with that threat the owners could retaliate with OK that's done BUT from here on in no more guaranteed contracts. We are going the way of the NFL. Players would back off quicker than any thread on this board stating Kessel is an all-star turning into a Burke bashing extravaganza.
I'm not sure fans really care about guaranteed contracts.

No cap, no guaranteed contract, open bidding for players.

Huge signing bonuses for bums.

Rich teams can easily take advantage of that situation.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'm not sure fans really care about guaranteed contracts.

No cap, no guaranteed contract, open bidding for players.

Huge signing bonuses for bums.

Rich teams can easily take advantage of that situation.
Ulf you haven't been paying attention, this not about the fans!!! The point was giving up their guaranteed contracts is the Holy Grail for players, they will cave if that threat is put in play.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:42 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ulf you haven't been paying attention, this not about the fans!!! The point was giving up their guaranteed contracts is the Holy Grail for players, they will cave if that threat is put in play.
You think it hasn't?

I'm sure they are threatened with it every meeting they have.

You don't actually have to utter threats in open language for them to be understood.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:49 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
You think it hasn't?

You don't actually have to utter threats in open language for them to be understood.
I have no idea what you are talking about, it has nothing to with my original post about the cap.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Season was supposed to start today.

10-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Rinzler

Players make a ****ing proposal already.

Whiners...the lot of you.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:06 PM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Players make a ****ing proposal already.

Whiners...the lot of you.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:54 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
You think it hasn't?

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about, it has nothing to with my original post about the cap.
So you talk about guaranteed contracts and then don't know what the topic is?

I have no idea how you can bring up the topic and not know about it.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:20 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Im pretty down tonight.

Should be watching an NHL regular season game

Old
10-11-2012, 07:22 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
So you talk about guaranteed contracts and then don't know what the topic is?

I have no idea how you can bring up the topic and not know about it.
I was talking about the owners probable response to the recent player's threat to take the cap completely off the table. I have no idea where you are coming from. Call me stupid but I don't follow what you are trying to say about fans, about it being mentioned at every meeting etc.

To repeat what started this, I responded to a post about Fehr threatening the owners with the players taking the cap off the table completely. I responded with fine, the owners would or could retaliate with taking guaranteed contracts off the table.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Platapie

Quote:
There will always be a best hockey league.

Whether they call it the AHL, NHL, KHL, WHA I really don't care.

If some teams fail I really don't care.
Really?

If the current NHL players held a big re-draft, started a new league, but with different team names, you wouldn't care?

The history of the league is a large part of the reason to watch. A storied battle between the Montreal Poutines and the Toronto Bankers just doesn't have the same ring to it.

That's assuming best case scenario. As much of a circus as the NHL is, the NHL going away = dark ages for hockey.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
I was talking about the owners probable response to the recent player's threat to take the cap completely off the table. I have no idea where you are coming from. Call me stupid but I don't follow what you are trying to say about fans, about it being mentioned at every meeting etc.

To repeat what started this, I responded to a post about Fehr threatening the owners with the players taking the cap off the table completely. I responded with fine, the owners would or could retaliate with taking guaranteed contracts off the table.
Then the players counter with UFA status after year 1.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:34 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Then the players counter with UFA status after year 1.
Perfect, I think the big market teams would be all over that.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:50 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Yes, I agree that the owners could, and I would bet they have already threatened that. Of course they have. Same way the players have talked about the cap just because they haven't written into any offers (that we know of) doesn't mean it isn't in the room.

As a fan I could care less whether they have a cap or guaranteed contracts. We are just consumers of the product, and the fans are the money pit. Funny how all we hear is how some owners are losing money and yet the fans are providing the 3++ in revenue not the owners.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:54 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
NHLers finding temporary homes all over Europe
JAMES MIRTLE

Quote:
Los Angeles Kings backup netminder Jonathan Bernier has signed to play over in Germany, becoming (by my unofficial count anyway) the 133rd locked out NHLer to find a temporary home overseas.

Not surprisingly, the KHL is the top destination for players so far, with 27 per cent of NHLers signing in Russia’s top league.

Next in line is the Czech Republic, followed by Switzerland and Finland, all three of which have about 15 per cent of those playing overseas.
Quote:
If this lockout stretches on for three or four months, you have to think that the teams with more players playing at a high level right now will be better set up to play NHL games when the puck drops.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter

Old
10-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Suntouchable13

If the NHL scraps the whole season again, would you at least consider never watching another game ever again? I will. Not saying I won't watch a game ever again, but I think I have to at least consider it. What the NHL is doing is not right. Is there going to be another lockout 5-10 years from now? I have to consider dropping the NHL.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:01 PM
paulster2626
Don't Mess with me

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
If the NHL scraps the whole season again, would you at least consider never watching another game ever again? I will. Not saying I won't watch a game ever again, but I think I have to at least consider it. What the NHL is doing is not right. Is there going to be another lockout 5-10 years from now? I have to consider dropping the NHL.
It would be damn hard that's for sure. It's already emotionally draining being a leafs fan - with the NHL having labour disputes all the time it's becoming a bit too much. So much greed, it's hard to stay passionate and support these arseholes. I'd say its time for these "negotiations" to shape up, or ship out.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
It would be damn hard that's for sure. It's already emotionally draining being a leafs fan - with the NHL having labour disputes all the time it's becoming a bit too much. So much greed, it's hard to stay passionate and support these arseholes. I'd say its time for these "negotiations" to shape up, or ship out.
It would be hard to drop the NHL, especially living in the Toronto area. I think that at the end of the day I will return for the first game but if they scrap the season it will make me so mad that I will have to consider doing something that I never thought would be possible (erasing the NHL from my life).

Old
10-12-2012, 09:10 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm watching Calgary-Edmonton CHL game right now.

I'd watch the NHL if they return.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm watching Calgary-Edmonton CHL game right now.

I'd watch the NHL if they return.
Keep and eye on Curtis Lazar of Edmonton, potential top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.

Could be a future Leaf in making you're scouting there.

The lockout is a great opportunity to do some amateur scouting.

10-12-2012, 10:25 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Keep and eye on Curtis Lazar of Edmonton, potential top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.

I'm impressed with Chase. Pretty good size, hands, and moves out there.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:27 PM
leaffan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

More like future Toronto Banker or Montreal Poutine or CSKA Russian, NHL as we know it isn't even guaranteed its continued existence at this point.

Its sad, there is so much resentment from the fans this time around, not only for one group or the other, but for the entire mindstate and processes of the current state of affairs. I'm really wondering if the NHL will recover if there is another extended lockout.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
If they scrap this season, i'm seriously considering not watching anymore games till I get some payback for my time invested.

I just might wait till the leafs become real contenders again before i bother.

Closed Thread