HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Match made in heaven (Gillies/Vityaz)

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I have a different interpretation of "Always gets his ass handed to him by the best fighters in the league.", which to me means he is a punching bag like Stortini or Kostopolous who always get their ***** handed to them, not one in 04-05, one in 06-07 and here and there.

Even in that last fight vs Boogaard, I don't think he got his ass kicked. I think he was overmatched, the size difference between them in that fight looks ridiculous. And Carkner ended up a bloody mess when he fought Gillies. The Leblond fight in the NHL (only time I saw them fight) was pretty even to me..

And just to show my work:

I wouldn't classify that as getting your ass kicked.
I wasn't the one who said Gillies always gets his ass kicked by the best fighters in the league. Boogaard clearly beat him in 05/06. Beat him again in 2010, although not nearly as unanimous. That fight with Leblond was a draw at best for Gillies.

Gillies is a legit heavyweight, no doubt about it, but there are better fighters. What he's doing in the KHL is a joke. He's making a total coward out of himself.

Gillies isn't a punching bag like Stortini or Kostopoulos. He's not the heavyweight champ some make him out to be.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
I wasn't the one who said Gillies always gets his ass kicked by the best fighters in the league. Boogaard clearly beat him in 05/06. Beat him again in 2010, although not nearly as unanimous. That fight with Leblond was a draw at best for Gillies.

Gillies is a legit heavyweight, no doubt about it, but there are better fighters. What he's doing in the KHL is a joke. He's making a total coward out of himself.

Gillies isn't a punching bag like Stortini or Kostopoulos. He's not the heavyweight champ some make him out to be.
I know you didn't say that, I'm just still challenging that opinion. I also think what he's doing in the KHL is a joke, that's not the type of fighting I like. I wish he was back over here, doing work in the AHL and maybe seeing a call up or two. I don't blame him for going though, he gets to play with his buddy and probably gets more $$ there. But what he is doing there I don't like.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
I know you didn't say that, I'm just still challenging that opinion. I also think what he's doing in the KHL is a joke, that's not the type of fighting I like. I wish he was back over here, doing work in the AHL and maybe seeing a call up or two. I don't blame him for going though, he gets to play with his buddy and probably gets more $$ there. But what he is doing there I don't like.
Yeah I didn't mind him when he was over here. One-dimensional goon? Absolutely, but he served a purpose on an Islanders team that had young talent developing. Can't support what he's doing in the KHL.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Johnny Utah

Maybe Trevor went a little overboard after the fight was obviously over in this clip but you have to respect the dude who has been doing this job for over 10 years in the pro's....dude has bounced around the ECHL, AHL, NHL and now KHL and at 32-33 years old still does the job. It's a tough gig. He has always been a dude who goes toe to toe and highly respected in the AHL as one of the top heavies in the past decade.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Problem is, his work here and in the AHL wasn't substantially different from what he's doing in the KHL. Always starting fights with hits from behind/suckerpunches, throwing before the other guy even knows there's a problem, fighting unwilling combatants who weren't in his weight class for no discernable reason etc. His fight card has guys like Jakob Klepis on it. You don't see Colton Orr instigating fights with Marcus Johanssen (which is why he stuck in the NHL and Gillies didn't).

Evidence

Boarding an unsuspecting player who's on a line change then immediately firing a punch at Godard, who was at the end of his shift

Boogaard knocks him out here, but you'll notice Gillies does not announce to Boogey that they're about to go. He just skates in from a blind spot and suckers him.

This guy gets crushed by two different guys then Gillies just attacks him for no reason.

Gillies, again, boards somebody for no reason away from the play to start this fight (in which he ends up seriously injured)

Haley throws a vicious board on somebody (he could have killed the guy) and in Gillies neanderthal brain that's a reason to kick the legs out from under a guy who didn't want to fight, pin him with his knee and beat him after he's unconscious. He only got a 4 game suspension for this; should have been a year.

Then, of course, there's the time he threw a flying elbow to the back of Eric Tangradi's head, as if that was a way to start a fight, then screamed at the doctor after he was kicked out of the game.

What he's doing in Vityaz is no different than what he's been doing his entire career. Nobody noticed because he never caught on in the big show. Reason he never caught on is because garbage like what he does belongs in Vityaz, not the national hockey league.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
I agree.

I hate seeing those tough guys go to the KHL and just beat up guys who don't know how to fight. It's pointless and it kinda gives fighting a bad name.

This is coming from someone who loves hockey fights and wants to see more of them in the NHL. Hell, I like Gillies too and loved him when he was on the Islanders.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Remember when that guy posted his facebook conversation on here?
What a tool, brown nosing a hockey player like that and than actually posting it.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
torero

Vityaz found another brain to enhance their hockey according to their concept.

I can't understand why KHL doesn't throw this Vityaz out.

The have been, obviously are ... and are likely to be forever and until they are kicked out of the league a disgrace for the KHL.

They will never realize how disgraceful and ridiculous they are.

Last edited by torero: 10-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Vityaz found another brain to enhance their hockey according to their concept.

I can't understand why KHL doesn't throw this Vityaz out.

The have been, obviously are ... and are likely to be forever and until they are kicked out of the league a disgrace for the KHL.

They will never realize how disgraceful and ridiculous they are.
Not so much anymore. This year just 14 PIM per game. Last year 32 PIM per game.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Gillies can beat Thornton, Parros and Engelland easily. Him vs Orr and Scott would be entertaining.
Why do you think Gillies would beat Thornton easily?

Old
10-13-2012, 09:11 PM
cashman rules*

Kinda hoping Bosse go`s over there and knocks all 3 of those clowns out!

Old
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Why do you think Gillies would beat Thornton easily?
Just do, 7 out of 10 I would give to Gillies.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Just do, 7 out of 10 I would give to Gillies.
Well they did fight 3 times in their career (i may be wrong) and from the 3 fights i saw they are 1-1-1.

Thornton doesn't lose 7 of 10 to Gillies.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
bud12

Gillies is a better fighter than Thorton

Old
10-15-2012, 07:33 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Well they did fight 3 times in their career (i may be wrong) and from the 3 fights i saw they are 1-1-1.

Sure he does. Thornton might not get much damage cause all he does is wrestle and hug.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Sure he does. Thornton might not get much damage cause all he does is wrestle and hug.
So in 3 fights so far they are 1-1-1 how can you say Gillies wins the next 6 of 7?

Last edited by Central Scrutinizer: 10-18-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old
10-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:

Just watched, I say 2-0-1 Gillies.

I still stand by 7 out of 10 Gillies, he's just more lethal in terms of quickness and technicality.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:18 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Gillies can beat Thornton, Parros and Engelland easily. Him vs Orr and Scott would be entertaining.
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it bud.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it bud.
Probably won't happen. We'll see if Gillies comes back to N.A. and even then he probably won't get much NHL duty if any.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:15 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
I have a different interpretation of "Always gets his ass handed to him by the best fighters in the league.", which to me means he is a punching bag like Stortini or Kostopolous who always get their ***** handed to them, not one in 04-05, one in 06-07 and here and there.

Even in that last fight vs Boogaard, I don't think he got his ass kicked. I think he was overmatched, the size difference between them in that fight looks ridiculous. And Carkner ended up a bloody mess when he fought Gillies. The Leblond fight in the NHL (only time I saw them fight) was pretty even to me..

And just to show my work:

I wouldn't classify that as getting your ass kicked.
Carkner may have had a nick on his ear, but that fight was a draw at best for Gillies. Carkner landed way more solid blows. Gillies hugged Carkner for the whole damn fight.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

Quote:
Nice, the ole “delete a post because it contained a comment mocking another member when really I didn’t feel like addressing the question raised to me.” I get why the “mean” post was removed (although c’mon how could he not be called out for that?) but the point remains the same: you listed Orr as a guy who could handle Gillies. You then list Engelland as someone who could not. Then you were shown this:

How would you explain this?

Old
11-14-2012, 06:49 AM
ARCTICCAT24

If you're gonna respond to what Gillies did expect to get your ass beat. I'm not sure why you guys are being ******* about it. He went after Gillies. If you're gonna act tough you better be tough. Next.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket of Russia View Post
Nice, the ole “delete a post because it contained a comment mocking another member when really I didn’t feel like addressing the question raised to me.” I get why the “mean” post was removed (although c’mon how could he not be called out for that?) but the point remains the same: you listed Orr as a guy who could handle Gillies. You then list Engelland as someone who could not. Then you were shown this:

How would you explain this?
A lucky fight that you can't base a guy's career on..

Old
11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
A lucky fight that you can't base a guy's career on..
Apart from not getting knocked out, Orr took an even worse beating the next time these two fought,

Old
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
bud12

this 2 fight mean nothing. Orr is a better fighter than Engelland and its not even close.

Closed Thread