HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Match made in heaven (Gillies/Vityaz)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
  #26
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I have a different interpretation of "Always gets his ass handed to him by the best fighters in the league.", which to me means he is a punching bag like Stortini or Kostopolous who always get their ***** handed to them, not one in 04-05, one in 06-07 and here and there.

Even in that last fight vs Boogaard, I don't think he got his ass kicked. I think he was overmatched, the size difference between them in that fight looks ridiculous. And Carkner ended up a bloody mess when he fought Gillies. The Leblond fight in the NHL (only time I saw them fight) was pretty even to me..

And just to show my work:







I wouldn't classify that as getting your ass kicked.
I wasn't the one who said Gillies always gets his ass kicked by the best fighters in the league. Boogaard clearly beat him in 05/06. Beat him again in 2010, although not nearly as unanimous. That fight with Leblond was a draw at best for Gillies.

Gillies is a legit heavyweight, no doubt about it, but there are better fighters. What he's doing in the KHL is a joke. He's making a total coward out of himself.

Gillies isn't a punching bag like Stortini or Kostopoulos. He's not the heavyweight champ some make him out to be.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 04:33 PM
  #27
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,329
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
I wasn't the one who said Gillies always gets his ass kicked by the best fighters in the league. Boogaard clearly beat him in 05/06. Beat him again in 2010, although not nearly as unanimous. That fight with Leblond was a draw at best for Gillies.

Gillies is a legit heavyweight, no doubt about it, but there are better fighters. What he's doing in the KHL is a joke. He's making a total coward out of himself.

Gillies isn't a punching bag like Stortini or Kostopoulos. He's not the heavyweight champ some make him out to be.
I know you didn't say that, I'm just still challenging that opinion. I also think what he's doing in the KHL is a joke, that's not the type of fighting I like. I wish he was back over here, doing work in the AHL and maybe seeing a call up or two. I don't blame him for going though, he gets to play with his buddy and probably gets more $$ there. But what he is doing there I don't like.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 04:44 PM
  #28
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I know you didn't say that, I'm just still challenging that opinion. I also think what he's doing in the KHL is a joke, that's not the type of fighting I like. I wish he was back over here, doing work in the AHL and maybe seeing a call up or two. I don't blame him for going though, he gets to play with his buddy and probably gets more $$ there. But what he is doing there I don't like.
Yeah I didn't mind him when he was over here. One-dimensional goon? Absolutely, but he served a purpose on an Islanders team that had young talent developing. Can't support what he's doing in the KHL.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 05:22 PM
  #29
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 500
Maybe Trevor went a little overboard after the fight was obviously over in this clip but you have to respect the dude who has been doing this job for over 10 years in the pro's....dude has bounced around the ECHL, AHL, NHL and now KHL and at 32-33 years old still does the job. It's a tough gig. He has always been a dude who goes toe to toe and highly respected in the AHL as one of the top heavies in the past decade.

Johnny Utah is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
  #30
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I know you didn't say that, I'm just still challenging that opinion. I also think what he's doing in the KHL is a joke, that's not the type of fighting I like. I wish he was back over here, doing work in the AHL and maybe seeing a call up or two. I don't blame him for going though, he gets to play with his buddy and probably gets more $$ there. But what he is doing there I don't like.
Problem is, his work here and in the AHL wasn't substantially different from what he's doing in the KHL. Always starting fights with hits from behind/suckerpunches, throwing before the other guy even knows there's a problem, fighting unwilling combatants who weren't in his weight class for no discernable reason etc. His fight card has guys like Jakob Klepis on it. You don't see Colton Orr instigating fights with Marcus Johanssen (which is why he stuck in the NHL and Gillies didn't).

Evidence

Boarding an unsuspecting player who's on a line change then immediately firing a punch at Godard, who was at the end of his shift




Boogaard knocks him out here, but you'll notice Gillies does not announce to Boogey that they're about to go. He just skates in from a blind spot and suckers him.




This guy gets crushed by two different guys then Gillies just attacks him for no reason.




Gillies, again, boards somebody for no reason away from the play to start this fight (in which he ends up seriously injured)




Haley throws a vicious board on somebody (he could have killed the guy) and in Gillies neanderthal brain that's a reason to kick the legs out from under a guy who didn't want to fight, pin him with his knee and beat him after he's unconscious. He only got a 4 game suspension for this; should have been a year.




Then, of course, there's the time he threw a flying elbow to the back of Eric Tangradi's head, as if that was a way to start a fight, then screamed at the doctor after he was kicked out of the game.

What he's doing in Vityaz is no different than what he's been doing his entire career. Nobody noticed because he never caught on in the big show. Reason he never caught on is because garbage like what he does belongs in Vityaz, not the national hockey league.

billybudd is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 11:40 PM
  #31
Banana Sandwiches
Registered User
 
Banana Sandwiches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I know you didn't say that, I'm just still challenging that opinion. I also think what he's doing in the KHL is a joke, that's not the type of fighting I like. I wish he was back over here, doing work in the AHL and maybe seeing a call up or two. I don't blame him for going though, he gets to play with his buddy and probably gets more $$ there. But what he is doing there I don't like.
I agree.

I hate seeing those tough guys go to the KHL and just beat up guys who don't know how to fight. It's pointless and it kinda gives fighting a bad name.

This is coming from someone who loves hockey fights and wants to see more of them in the NHL. Hell, I like Gillies too and loved him when he was on the Islanders.

Banana Sandwiches is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
  #32
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Remember when that guy posted his facebook conversation on here?
What a tool, brown nosing a hockey player like that and than actually posting it.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline  
Old
10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
  #33
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
Vityaz found another brain to enhance their hockey according to their concept.

I can't understand why KHL doesn't throw this Vityaz out.

The have been, obviously are ... and are likely to be forever and until they are kicked out of the league a disgrace for the KHL.

They will never realize how disgraceful and ridiculous they are.


Last edited by torero: 10-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.
torero is offline  
Old
10-11-2012, 05:41 PM
  #34
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Vityaz found another brain to enhance their hockey according to their concept.

I can't understand why KHL doesn't throw this Vityaz out.

The have been, obviously are ... and are likely to be forever and until they are kicked out of the league a disgrace for the KHL.

They will never realize how disgraceful and ridiculous they are.
Not so much anymore. This year just 14 PIM per game. Last year 32 PIM per game.

Steelhead16 is offline  
Old
10-11-2012, 09:30 PM
  #35
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song
 
Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Gillies can beat Thornton, Parros and Engelland easily. Him vs Orr and Scott would be entertaining.
Why do you think Gillies would beat Thornton easily?

Central Scrutinizer is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 09:11 PM
  #36
cashman rules*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Timmins ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Kinda hoping Bosse go`s over there and knocks all 3 of those clowns out!

cashman rules* is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
  #37
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,329
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Why do you think Gillies would beat Thornton easily?
Just do, 7 out of 10 I would give to Gillies.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 10:11 PM
  #38
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song
 
Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Just do, 7 out of 10 I would give to Gillies.
Well they did fight 3 times in their career (i may be wrong) and from the 3 fights i saw they are 1-1-1.

Thornton doesn't lose 7 of 10 to Gillies.

Central Scrutinizer is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
  #39
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,722
vCash: 500
Gillies is a better fighter than Thorton

bud12 is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 07:33 PM
  #40
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Well they did fight 3 times in their career (i may be wrong) and from the 3 fights i saw they are 1-1-1.

Thornton doesn't lose 7 of 10 to Gillies.
Sure he does. Thornton might not get much damage cause all he does is wrestle and hug.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 11:22 PM
  #41
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song
 
Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Sure he does. Thornton might not get much damage cause all he does is wrestle and hug.
So in 3 fights so far they are 1-1-1 how can you say Gillies wins the next 6 of 7?


Last edited by Central Scrutinizer: 10-18-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Central Scrutinizer is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 01:16 PM
  #42
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,329
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Well they did fight 3 times in their career (i may be wrong) and from the 3 fights i saw they are 1-1-1.

Thornton doesn't lose 7 of 10 to Gillies.
Just watched, I say 2-0-1 Gillies.

I still stand by 7 out of 10 Gillies, he's just more lethal in terms of quickness and technicality.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 06:18 PM
  #43
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Gillies can beat Thornton, Parros and Engelland easily. Him vs Orr and Scott would be entertaining.
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it bud.

MichiganWolverines is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:07 PM
  #44
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,329
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it bud.
Probably won't happen. We'll see if Gillies comes back to N.A. and even then he probably won't get much NHL duty if any.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:15 PM
  #45
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I have a different interpretation of "Always gets his ass handed to him by the best fighters in the league.", which to me means he is a punching bag like Stortini or Kostopolous who always get their ***** handed to them, not one in 04-05, one in 06-07 and here and there.

Even in that last fight vs Boogaard, I don't think he got his ass kicked. I think he was overmatched, the size difference between them in that fight looks ridiculous. And Carkner ended up a bloody mess when he fought Gillies. The Leblond fight in the NHL (only time I saw them fight) was pretty even to me..

And just to show my work:







I wouldn't classify that as getting your ass kicked.
Carkner may have had a nick on his ear, but that fight was a draw at best for Gillies. Carkner landed way more solid blows. Gillies hugged Carkner for the whole damn fight.

SilverSeven is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 12:32 PM
  #46
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang
 
Rocket of Russia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Gillies can beat Thornton, Parros and Engelland easily. Him vs Orr and Scott would be entertaining.
Nice, the ole “delete a post because it contained a comment mocking another member when really I didn’t feel like addressing the question raised to me.” I get why the “mean” post was removed (although c’mon how could he not be called out for that?) but the point remains the same: you listed Orr as a guy who could handle Gillies. You then list Engelland as someone who could not. Then you were shown this:



How would you explain this?

Rocket of Russia is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 06:49 AM
  #47
ARCTICCAT24
Registered User
 
ARCTICCAT24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
If you're gonna respond to what Gillies did expect to get your ass beat. I'm not sure why you guys are being ******* about it. He went after Gillies. If you're gonna act tough you better be tough. Next.

ARCTICCAT24 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
  #48
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket of Russia View Post
Nice, the ole “delete a post because it contained a comment mocking another member when really I didn’t feel like addressing the question raised to me.” I get why the “mean” post was removed (although c’mon how could he not be called out for that?) but the point remains the same: you listed Orr as a guy who could handle Gillies. You then list Engelland as someone who could not. Then you were shown this:



How would you explain this?
A lucky fight that you can't base a guy's career on..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
  #49
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
A lucky fight that you can't base a guy's career on..
Apart from not getting knocked out, Orr took an even worse beating the next time these two fought,


billybudd is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
  #50
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,722
vCash: 500
this 2 fight mean nothing. Orr is a better fighter than Engelland and its not even close.

bud12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.