HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Big Rig Brew Pub

Old
10-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Ohhh Franco

vCash: 500
Heard the Big Rig commercial on the Team 1200 for the first time today. Oh my......brutal! Could Phillips be any less enthused or charismatic?

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 06:40 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
I dont care for the big box beers except for Corona on occasion. I usually end up with Innis & Gunn Original or recently Shock Top...I dont know why, but Im digging the orange/lemon hints.
Shock Top is a big box beer.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good pumpkin beer thats got more seasonal and less bitter?
Try the Pumpkin beer they have at Clocktower.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Pumpkin beers are really never bitter, so not much to worry about there. It's the last on my list of pumpkins to try this year, but people have been raving about it, Grand River Highballer Pumpkin. I would recommend Pumking, but it's pricy and the flavours are off the chain crazy (since it seems like you want something a bit easier to drink).

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Shock Top is a big box beer.
Its not Molson Or Labatt is what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Heard the Big Rig commercial on the Team 1200 for the first time today. Oh my......brutal! Could Phillips be any less enthused or charismatic?
Fits with the rest of team1200. ****ing horrible station.
Hes never been great with commercials...

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:07 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
Its not Molson Or Labatt is what I mean.
Yes it is Labatt. Or at least they're both owned by Anheuser-Busch.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:42 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Pumpkin beers are really never bitter, so not much to worry about there. It's the last on my list of pumpkins to try this year, but people have been raving about it, Grand River Highballer Pumpkin. I would recommend Pumking, but it's pricy and the flavours are off the chain crazy (since it seems like you want something a bit easier to drink).
I'm one of the ones raving about Highballer, but I think that's also partially a cost / quality thing. It's really good value, and you don't have to buy a mixed 6 pack to get it.

If you want pumpkin flavour try Nightmare on Mill St. It's definitely the most pumpkin-y one that I've had this year. I haven't had Pumking yet though.

Shock Top is gross. Tastes vary though. (It's watery and gross.)

The beer store on Bank St is the one to hit for selection.

I'm looking forward to the Big Rig Pumpkin Porter.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
http://www.beaus.ca/store/beer

For those in Ottawa that missed out on Oktoberfest.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Kekumba

Quote:
I'd take Crazy Canuck and Miami Weiss over anything that Beau's brews.
I just had Miami Weiss for the first time. I can see why you would put it alongside Crazy Canuck, they're way more similar than I expected. Miami Weiss is like a wheaty APA, it's quite the interesting concept. Like a lot of Beau's limited releases (don't want to say one offs as I believe Miami Weiss has been brewed three different times), I think it would be wildly popular if it was a regular release in the LCBO.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:33 PM
jordan7hm

Had a couple new ones today. Garrison Oktoberfest Brau. I think the bottle was infected, so I'm going to hold off on comments. I got two, I'll see if the next one is any better. Also had a bottle of Hop Nouveau 2012. Pretty fresh (bottled on the 15th of Sept), super hoppy. I enjoyed it. I find those hop bombs can be a slog to finish entire (650ml) bottles though. Prolly woulda been fine with a 500ml but beggars can't be choosers.

Going to grab a few extra bottles tomorrow for Thanksgiving. Probably just the Mill St Fall pack. I blew a bunch of money on random single bottles today. (Got more mead. sooooo good.)

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Kekumba

I had Garrison's Oktoberfest a few weeks ago. If you ask me it's just a poor beer. Watery, tasted like cardboard with a slight sour finish. Shame since Garrison is a top notch brewery.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:56 PM
v-man

Mill Street's Oktoberfest really surprised me. I haven't liked any of their products before, but it was very flavourful without jumping on the overly-bitter bandwagon.

v-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Kekumba

Coming to the LCBO soon (within the next month....?). Had it at Beau's Oktoberfest under a different name, which I can understand why now. And it's year round!

Old
10-10-2012, 10:17 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:

Coming to the LCBO soon (within the next month....?). Had it at Beau's Oktoberfest under a different name, which I can understand why now. And it's year round!
Count me as someone who isn't a fan of Mad Tom IPA. It's not a bad beer, I just think it gets way too much hype based solely on the fact that beers of it's ilk are trendy among beer circles at the moment.

It's like, it's too much IPA, though I attribute it mostly to the fact that I don't like overly hoppy beers, which this clearly is. I don't find it well balanced at all, the hops overtakes what the beer does well. The palate is just dominated by it.

Just personal preference, though. It clearly has a following among the "you can't have enough hops" / "beer isn't really beer unless it's drowning in hops" crowd. All the power to them, I guess. It's a well made beer if you like that kind of beer.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:17 AM
Kekumba

Well, that's how IPA's are I guess. There's not much middle ground in loving or hating them. But a readily available DIPA in the LCBO? And a Mad Tom-like one at that? Mind blown.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:13 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Well, that's how IPA's are I guess. There's not much middle ground in loving or hating them. But a readily available DIPA in the LCBO? And a Mad Tom-like one at that? Mind blown.
I disagree... IPA's are like most other foods: some recipes you like, others you don't. There are plenty of IPA's out there who don't go overboard on the hops. In fact, I enjoy some of the milder IPA's out there: the ones without an overwhelming palate of pine to them. I think if Mad Tom toned down the intense hoppyness, there's a lot of other flavors in that beer to like.

I just think Mad Tom is a little over the top re: hops. It's like someone made a Black Forest cake, and just went nuts with the cherries.

Again, it's not a poorly made beer or anything, just not my cup of tea.

I feel silly saying "hops" so much in a single post, haha

Old
10-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Kekumba

If Mad Tom toned down the hops there would be many tears shed among Ontario, lol. I see what you're saying, though. I guess I just associate IPA's with being a hop bomb a bit too much even though I'm not really a hop head myself. But it is what I want when I drink them.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:48 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I disagree... IPA's are like most other foods: some recipes you like, others you don't. There are plenty of IPA's out there who don't go overboard on the hops. In fact, I enjoy some of the milder IPA's out there: the ones without an overwhelming palate of pine to them. I think if Mad Tom toned down the intense hoppyness, there's a lot of other flavors in that beer to like.

I just think Mad Tom is a little over the top re: hops. It's like someone made a Black Forest cake, and just went nuts with the cherries.

Again, it's not a poorly made beer or anything, just not my cup of tea.

I feel silly saying "hops" so much in a single post, haha

You do know there are two distinct styles of IPA American/West Coast and the English version? Maybe you just like the English style? Which IPA's do you like?

But if not, maybe once you get used to the training wheel IPA's you'll be ready for the grown up ones.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:35 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
If Mad Tom toned down the hops there would be many tears shed among Ontario, lol. I see what you're saying, though. I guess I just associate IPA's with being a hop bomb a bit too much even though I'm not really a hop head myself. But it is what I want when I drink them.
Oh absolutely. There's for sure a market for it, no doubt there. I admit I seem to be in the minority among beer drinkers who dislike it.

Quote:
maybe once you get used to the training wheel IPA's you'll be ready for the grown up ones.
Ahh, there's the condescending remarks I was waiting for in "the beer thread". It's not a real discussion about beer unless someone tries to belittle your tastes, right? Same as it ever was.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 10-11-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Kekumba

Ever had the Thornbridge Kipling (in the LCBO this summer)? Sounds like something you would love given whats been said on this page.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:13 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Ever had the Thornbridge Kipling (in the LCBO this summer)? Sounds like something you would love given whats been said on this page.
Alas, I have not. It will have to wait until I get back to Ottawa/Canada/North America, probably next summer.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:16 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Ahh, there's the condescending remarks I was waiting for in "the beer thread". It's not a real discussion about beer unless someone tries to belittle your tastes, right? Same as it ever was.

Oh quit being a whiny baby. Some things, like spicy chicken wings and hoppy American IPA's are something some people have to get used to.

You're the only one being condescending here with your 'I just think it gets way too much hype based solely on the fact that beers of it's ilk are trendy' and 'It clearly has a following among the "you can't have enough hops" / "beer isn't really beer unless it's drowning in hops" crowd.' remarks which are actually bordering on insults while being condescending.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:11 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:

You're the only one being condescending here with your 'I just think it gets way too much hype based solely on the fact that beers of it's ilk are trendy' and 'It clearly has a following among the "you can't have enough hops" / "beer isn't really beer unless it's drowning in hops" crowd.' remarks which are actually bordering on insults while being condescending.
IMO it certainly isn't condescending, it's just frustrating that what is currently "in" as far as beer styles go doesn't mesh with my personal palate. Like anything else in the world, styles will change with time. I'm just biding my time until the "hop craze" dies down a bit and something else takes it's place.

It's no coincidence that as the hops-craze has really picked up steam, more breweries are trying to accommodate the demand. It's like any other industry, really. It just sucks when someone recommends a new beer, it's more often than not a beer that is too hoppy for my tastes. And when I say "you can't have enough hops", that's not my quote, it's a common sentiment that I've heard expressed numerous times by other beer drinkers who enjoy hop-heavy brews. It just seems to be a more popular beer-ideology now than it has in the past.

Maybe in 5 years, Pilsners will be all the rage among beer circles, and I'll find myself awash in a veritable cornucopia of Pilsner options, as brewers rush to meet the demand of the market.

I'm not trying to be condescending at all, I'm just pointing out the fact that there is a surge in popularity of a certain style of beer, and it's unfortunate that it happens to be a style I don't particularly like.

And I DO think that there are some beers out there that are more popular than they normally would be because they are big on hops, and hops right now is the du-jour taste. It's like anything else. It's like... remember 10 years ago, when Fusion restaurants were really in? Well, I remember there being a TON of fusion restaurants that really weren't all that good: the combination of styles didn't mesh, the food quality wasn't very good... yet they were still popular restaurants for a time because of the popularity of "fusion". Now, I'm not trying to make a comparison of the "fusion" restaurants and Mad Tom (as I have previously explained, it's a well made beer, just not my thing), but I am saying that a lot of beers are getting more press than they otherwise would because the style is currently in, not because they're great beers.

And it'll happen with whatever becomes the next thing in beer, I assure you. This isn't some unique thing that's popped up. If stouts double in popularity over the next 5 years, I'm sure we'll see a huge spike in the availability of stouts, and along with that surge, there will be some stouts out there that will get better press than they deserve if only because they are at "the right place at the right time", so to speak. And if you don't happen to like stouts, then it'll start to get a bit irksome after a while.

So yeah: no condescension intended whatsoever, just waiting for the next thing to come around so the hop craze can die down a bit.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 10-11-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Kekumba

The great thing about living in Ottawa is that despite all the Ontario breweries pumping out IPA's at the moment, we can just hop over to Broue Ha Ha for all our Porter/Stout/Belgian needs.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 533
Isnt this the Big Rig thread? Come here looking for reviews on the food, atmo, etc and there are 5 pages of random beer reviews..

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Isnt this the Big Rig thread? Come here looking for reviews on the food, atmo, etc and there are 5 pages of random beer reviews..
Lol this right here!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote