St. John's IceCaps 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 11:35 PM
blues10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I am well aware of his terrible contract and well aware of how 2 way contracts work, thank you.

Heisinger does not make the decision on who is in the lineup, that is the coach's job. Keith McCambridge does not care who is making what, he makes the decisions based on what will be most successful for the team. If Gagnon does not seem to fit in this team, he will not play him. Contracts don't matter otherwise Antropov would have been 1st line C all year right?
Your welcome.

Antropov would have spent the year in St. Johns if contracts didn't matter, they do that is why he was here. He really wasn't a typical 3rd or 4th line centre but at times found himslef there. Generally those types of guys don't make $4 + million a year.

The Jets brass have plenty of say in who is in the lineup. Gagnon will be there he is Chevy and Zinger's guy. Mc Cambridge is smart enough to realize this. There is lots of politics in hockey just ask the players.

Of course they could attempt to loan Gagnon out in an attempt to trade him when the lockout ends but they will not pay a player $500 000 to play in Colorado.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Your welcome.

Antropov would have spent the year in St. Johns if contracts didn't matter, they do that is why he was here. He really wasn't a typical 3rd or 4th line centre but at times found himslef there. Generally those types of guys don't make $4 + million a year.

The Jets brass have plenty of say in who is in the lineup. Gagnon will be there he is Chevy and Zinger's guy. Mc Cambridge is smart enough to realize this. There is lots of politics in hockey just ask the players.

Of course they could attempt to loan Gagnon out in an attempt to trade him when the lockout ends but they will not pay a player $500 000 to play in Colorado.
Hahahahahaha. You can't be serious.

Plenty of politics no doubt, never denied that. Also I never said Gagnon was going to Colorado, but there isn't really a spot in the lineup for him. He will likely rotate in and out with O'Dell, but based on the depth there I don't think he will be an everyday player. He was a depth player there last year, they did not play him top 2 lines last year, and with the increased team this year he is just an extra player.

BTW, Gagnon is probably not making 525K this year. He, like Postma/Machacek and the other players which were eligible for waivers are technically locked out NHLers since the Jets did not place them on waivers and send them to St. John's. They signed NEW contracts with St. John's based on a special exemption granted by the AHL to allow locked out players who were on a AHL clear day roster last year to sign new contracts to play in the AHL. We have no info on those contracts since they that info was not released, but I doubt Gagnon is getting 525K, at least until the lockout is lifted and Gagnon is waived back to the AHL.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:51 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Your welcome.

LOL
You can't really think that every player on the Jets last year out performed Antro........

Old
10-12-2012, 07:17 AM
kento19
@kento19

funny because Antro used to be a huge fan fav here when the baby leafs played out of St. John's.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
LOL
You can't really think that every player on the Jets last year out performed Antro........
He was a bum... but that wellwood... fantastic player.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:02 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
He was a bum... but that wellwood... fantastic player.
Screw you... I know what you're trying to do

Old
10-12-2012, 11:08 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
LOL
Everyone but Fehr. Antro was brutal last year, if it wasn't for the Albatross contract he would have been in St. Johns.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

If our team is good enough for Antropov to be low enough on the depth chart to be in the minors, we are going very far in the playoffs...

Antropov didn't play like a 4 million dollar man I admit, but he didn't play like an 500, 000 dollar man either.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
If our team is good enough for Antropov to be low enough on the depth chart to be in the minors, we are going very far in the playoffs...

Antropov didn't play like a 4 million dollar man I admit, but he didn't play like an 500, 000 dollar man either.
100% agree with this here.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:51 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:

If Antro were signed for the same dosh as Poni, then he'd be extremely good value for a 3rd line player. Given that the Jets don't have a problem with Salary Cap at this point, his contract is what it is. I'm happy that the signings and general player improvement have pushed him down to the 3rd line - that 3rd line will be a very effective line, IMHO.

I don't have an issue with someone having a problem with his play style or his large contract, but wishing he were in the minors is a bit much, IMHO. I simply don't see enough depth at forward to displace him from a 3rd line role. sipowicz - who would you place ahead of him?

Old
10-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

I just walked past the Ice Caps at Boston Logan airport as they were on the way to their charter bus to Springfield.

I'm not too familiar with your prospects but I recognized a few people and I could have SWORN that I saw Nik Antropov...Is there any reason why he would be with them or was I just mistaken?

Old
10-12-2012, 01:27 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
I just walked past the Ice Caps at Boston Logan airport as they were on the way to their charter bus to Springfield.

I'm not too familiar with your prospects but I recognized a few people and I could have SWORN that I saw Nik Antropov...Is there any reason why he would be with them or was I just mistaken?
Probably mistaken - Antropov is currently playing for Barys Astana over in the KHL. Klingberg looks similarly big (though not quite as big) and a bit goofy (in a good way they're both missing a few teeth ) - could it be him you may have seen?

Old
10-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Probably mistaken - Antropov is currently playing for Barys Astana over in the KHL. Klingberg looks similarly big (though not quite as big) and a bit goofy (in a good way they're both missing a few teeth ) - could it be him you may have seen?
Just looked Klingberg up and it was definitely him, thanks for clearing that up for me .

Old
10-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Excited for the AHL season to start, and to see Burmistrov up close!

Old
10-12-2012, 01:39 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I think Klingberg looks more like Death (Death not death):

I'd be afraid to play that kid. 6'3 205 lbs...
Gives me the jeepers

Old
10-12-2012, 02:02 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Antro played easier competition than GST (top forwards wise but not top pairing D wise) and easier competition than Ladd's Little Wheeler (both F and D). He played similar competition to Miettenin and Wellwood. He played tougher competition than Kane, Machacek, Burmistrov, Fehr, Stapleton, Maxwell, or Jaffray.

Shot differential wise (aka corsi aka scoring chances) only Ladd's Little Wheeler, and our final second line beat him (Kane, Wellwood, Burmistrov *who got pulled up a bit by the other two*). Jaffray (small sample) and Fehr were similar. The rest were far worse.

Scoring wise:
Goals - only Kane, Machacek (high sh%), Ladd, and Little were better per minute of icetime.
Primary assists - only Machacek (high on ice sh%, 3x Wheeler), Maxwell (2x Wheeler on ice sh%), and Wheeler were better.

On PP Antro had the second highest g/toi, and 3rd highest a1/toi (not counting Stapleton cos he played point). Little was first for goals and Kane/Wheeler were ahead for assists... but not by much.
On PK only Burmi, Ladd and Wheeler did better at reducing shots against.

So basically Antro was middle-high of the road for offence and middle for defence for our team. He will outperform GST on the checking line next season, but the large difference will be more due to Ponikarovsky (who tends to be the best on his team for tough minutes) and a bit of Wellwood/Burmistrov pulling him up.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
Just looked Klingberg up and it was definitely him, thanks for clearing that up for me .
He's a true beauty that one.

Favorite prospect/player in the system for completely arbitrary reasons, though i think Sutter might give him a run for his money.

I really hope Klingberg becomes a good 3rd liner.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:56 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Everyone but Fehr. Antro was brutal last year, if it wasn't for the Albatross contract he would have been in St. Johns.
Pretty much.

He wasn't playing 4th line because of the Jets depth. It was because he was absolutely terrible at times.

Teams up near the CAP would have buried that contract in the minors.

For those who have forgotten.

Quote:
Noel demoted Antropov to the fourth line on Tuesday, and both agreed that something needed to change.
Quote:
Antropov, who had just one shot in seven games before Tuesday’s clash with the Islanders, said it was the right call for him to be dropped to the fourth line in favour of Alex Burmistrov.
Quote:
“The only way to get out of it is to work hard and compete every night out there and show coach you’re capable to play in the first two lines, and hopefully he sees that.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/02/1...v-gets-demoted

His 4th line play does not speak to the depth above him.

Quote:
Those four players combined for 65 goals this year -- five more than Tampa's Steven Stamkos, also a centre, scored this season for the Lightning. As well, Little, as the Jets' top-scoring middle man, ranked 41st among players listed as centres by the NHL.
Quote:
the Jets pay Nik Antropov more than $4 million to centre the fourth unit.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...159013265.html

I would love to see NIk in St. John's when the lockout ends but the contract prevents it.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
MrMariusz

Good luck IceCaps! Hope you guys have a great season again this year.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

LOL. Burying our best defensive forward in the minors, best net presence, veteran leader, arguably grittiest, with perhaps softest hands on the team and the only real size we have at C. Great idea. Whatever helps you sleep at night and justify the blind hate for Antropov.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:45 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
LOL. Burying our best defensive forward in the minors, best net presence, veteran leader, arguably grittiest, with perhaps softest hands on the team and the only real size we have at C. Great idea. Whatever helps you sleep at night and justify the blind hate for Antropov.
Agreed anyone who thinks Antropov belongs in the AHL either doesn't know a thing about hockey or didn't watch too many Jets games last year. He is an easy target though because he's slow and it makes him look lazy to some people I guess He is not worth his salary obviously but to say he isn't an NHL calibre player is pretty laughable to be honest.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Agreed anyone who thinks Antropov belongs in the AHL either doesn't know a thing about hockey or didn't watch too many Jets games last year. He is an easy target though because he's slow and it makes him look lazy to some people I guess He is not worth his salary obviously but to say he isn't an NHL calibre player is pretty laughable to be honest.
Exactly. Players like Antropov that think the game rather than skate around like a chicken with their heads cut off tend to look lazy, so people that don't pay close attention don't always notice all the little things that smart players like Antropov do.

He is no longer a 4 million dollar player. But he is a very valuable player to have as your #3 C. I hope they can resign him after this year to a 2y, 4m deal or something around that, but he might get more than that on open market.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:34 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
So, is anyone here purchasing the AHL streaming package? $150 for one team for the season. >_>

Old
10-12-2012, 06:39 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
So, is anyone here purchasing the AHL streaming package? $150 for one team for the season. >_>
With no other hockey being played at a pro level in North America, it's certainly tempting. I paid for a couple of single games last year though, and the quality was horrific.

The $150 price is only good for the next little while - goes to $199 after that.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Not caring for Antropov's play is fine. Thinking he underperformed is also reasonable, but saying that the guy is an AHL'er is a complete and utter fail at understanding player talent and ability. I challenge you to find one person in the game that thinks Antropov is not an NHL player. One person.