HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

N. Kadri discussion thread v12

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

vCash: 500
N. Kadri discussion thread v12

Quote:
Claude Giroux, although he only spent half a season in the AHL, was in his third pro season when he broke out and became a star player with nearly a point per game. David Krejci spent a year and a half with the Providence of the AHL and also became a star player in his third pro season putting up 73 points in 82 games with the Boston Bruins. Max Pacioretty is a great example of how seasoning in the AHL can help a player’s development.

Like Kadri, Pacioretty was a first round pick who bounced back and forth between the Canadiens and their affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs. In Pacioretty’s third pro season, he started with the AHL Bulldogs before being called up in December. He has not looked back.

Pacioretty has developed into a top-six power forward, scoring 33 goals last season. Pacioretty’s progression is what the Maple Leafs are hoping they will see with Kadri.

The player who could mirror Kadri the most, though, is another Brian Burke draft pick, Bobby Ryan.
http://thehockeywriters.com/maplelea...s-development/

Not my article, just read it and thought I would post it for anyone interested...

Last edited by ULF_55: 10-22-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 09:58 PM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

IMO He isn't. Not everyone is going to make the NHL at 18, 19 or 20 and dominate like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos. Everyone was just expecting an immediate impact player when we had the 7th overall pick in 09.

When was the last time we drafted a centre that high in a draft? High expectations were just placed on him because of it. He's doing just fine.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler McIntosh View Post
http://thehockeywriters.com/maplelea...s-development/

Not my article, just read it and thought I would post it for anyone interested...
Your quote seems to partially argue that he isn't. Just following Ryan's curve also.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:05 PM
SuperJayMann

Good answer MapleLeafs9!

Old
10-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Ricky Bobby

Derek Roy and Mike Ribeiro are the best comparables to Kadri.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:21 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

He's fine. If we had nhl this season, he would be up with the leafs. Because we probabaly won't, he will make it next year. I like that we're taking our time with him. He has come a long way since he was drafted and he's only going to get better.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:25 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

In the same market that deemed Sundin unworthy, the kids doomed. Too many expectations placed on a guy who will never carry an nhl team. In any other market he would be a good up and coming prospect. In Toronto, when your drafted 7th overall being good is not going to cut it.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

There is no "set" time for a player to develop. We all wish a high pick like Nazem could jump right into the NHL, but the fact is every player is different, and they all develop at different rates. I'd say he's on track. Could have made the team last year, but there's nothing wrong with another year in the AHL.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Ari91

Players develop at different times and this article is only stating the obvious - unfortunate that the obvious often gets overlooked in this market in favour of getting a juicy story.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
RogerRoeper*

He's not nearly the "Bust" most seem to think he is. And why even bring up Giroux?

Old
10-11-2012, 11:38 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Is Nazem kadri behind his development curve? That depends where the other Nazem Kadri's were at this age.

Old
10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Absolutely ridiculous to mention him with Giroux, who is a top 5 player in the game.

I don't think he is behind.

He is more or less on the same curve as someone like Pacioretty was or Hodgson is.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:02 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
IMO He isn't. Not everyone is going to make the NHL at 18, 19 or 20 and dominate like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos. Everyone was just expecting an immediate impact player when we had the 7th overall pick in 09.

When was the last time we drafted a centre that high in a draft? High expectations were just placed on him because of it. He's doing just fine.
I'd agree with this.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Everyone takes their own different time. So Kadri is not behind HIS development. Is he behind what most people were expecting? Yes. Do we all just need to chill out and let him do his thing, yes.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:03 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Kadri's development is Kadri's development. Everyone is different. He's done developing when he's done developing. That isn't now.. There's no reason we should compare him to other players. Kadri is Kadri. People need to settle down.

10-12-2012, 01:36 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Kadri's development is Kadri's development. Everyone is different. He's done developing when he's done developing. That isn't now.. There's no reason we should compare him to other players. Kadri is Kadri. People need to settle down.
Well said .

Kadri may develop into a 1st liner or he may bust but it'll have nothing to do with any other players development timeline .

Old
10-12-2012, 02:48 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Not really, every player's development curve is unique.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Everyone takes their own different time. So Kadri is not behind HIS development. Is he behind what most people were expecting? Yes. Do we all just need to chill out and let him do his thing, yes.
It is true that every person develops at their own pace. Just accepting that every player is going at their own pace completely ignores the possibility that they could have, or maybe even should have, developed better and/or faster.

The question: If Kadri did everything exactly right - made all the right choices - from the start, would he be ahead of where he is today?

The answer: Absolutely!

Old
10-12-2012, 05:40 AM
Predaleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
It is true that every person develops at their own pace. Just accepting that every player is going at their own pace completely ignores the possibility that they could have, or maybe even should have, developed better and/or faster.

The question: If Kadri did everything exactly right - made all the right choices - from the start, would he be ahead of where he is today?

The answer: Absolutely!
That really can`t be said. In no way for sure can you be certain, that Kadri has 1- done anything wrong or 2-would be further if he changed his ways. Kadri seems to be the perfect guy for Toronto. He has confidence out of his wazoo and he knows it. When asked about the report he was "fat" he responded on twitter with these-

"@sportsgurl87 settle down little girl i got this"

"@sarahjeanmaher thanks miss,killed the skating n bike tests ppl dont have a clue!"

"@jon_leney they twisted stories. Now i kno which reporters not to waste my time with"

"never seen such inaccurate stories in my life haa"

We are in Toronto where the media can make anyone look bad or behind. Kadri on the AHL site is listed at 6`0 and 185 pounds, the NHL has him 6`0 188 pounds. . I dont think Kadri, while fluctuate more in his career with his weight. He seems to be a guy who maxes out 6`0 195. If this AHL site is true than i dont see how he managed to rank so low in fitness. And the true comments made by Eakins wasn`t fitness but the media said it was. Eakins said he is probably in the bottom 3 to 5 players for body fat.

I think Kadri will break into the league at 23 playing second line, and hitting his prime around 27 maxing out at an 80 point playmaking winger, and if it takes him 5 more years to do it, i am perfectly fine waiting. As a fan for more then half my life (21 by the way, started watching in 2000 as i remember) i am tired of watching us trade players who arent fully developed. Steen, Boyes, Rask, Colaiacovo...etc, why not let him try to prove himself until he is 26 if not then move him and name him a bust. He is only 22 as of 5 days ago, give him time

Old
10-12-2012, 06:03 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
Let him have a good run at the NHL. Let's face it, he is not going to be a bottom six, so he needs top 6 minutes and duties to be successful. He needs to be as good as or better than players like MacArthur, Kulemin, JvR to play there..or supplant Bozak at #1 centre. He is going to have Frattin contending for a spot too. He is in tough, but his fate is in his hands. He has the talent to do it, he just has to produce. The team can't wait 20-30 games for him catch on anymore.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:08 AM
D3ADLY

i'll be happy if he is a 20-20 guy in the NHL anything more and he's exceeded my expectations. I do wish him the best if anyone deserves support it's him.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:14 AM
416Leafer

Just because some really good forwards didnt crack the NHL or make an impact until age 22 or so, doesnt mean Kadri will. If you look at the majority of the better top 6 forwards in the league, how many cracked the NHL at 22 vs 18-20? And whats the ratio between high potential guys who became busts to guys who didnt make an impact until age 22+ ?

If something has happened in the past, its not an automatic argument for or against Kadri. You have to look at how common or how rare it is. I would say its fairly rare for a player to not make the NHL until 22+ and still become and impact player. Yes I believe its possible, but Its also far from a sure thing.

The best way to measure Kadris development is to compare him to his fellow draftees. He went 7th overall, but if the draft were redone, he'd probably go 15-20th. That could change, but like I said, its not a sure thing at all at this point.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Ciccio1980

So people herethink he might become a 50 point player like maca if that's it then trade him for a power foward like Ryan or 1c on a package of vourse

Old
10-12-2012, 07:26 AM
HOCKEYGOON

He was always a project who needed to work on his size and defensive play.

Not sure why people were expecting him to jump in right away.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:31 AM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

I always have and still believe Kadri can be a 60 point player. A 20-40 guy. You can just see it in his game that he has a ton of talent and skill, but is just naturally a skinny guy which clearly hinders himself playing against grown men. I believe the whole "unacceptable shape" news was really overblown and think Roberts' training program will help. Just have to see how he does with the Marlies.

Closed Thread