HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

N. Kadri discussion thread v12

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 07:40 AM
The Blue Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Absolutely ridiculous to mention him with Giroux, who is a top 5 player in the game.

I don't think he is behind.

He is more or less on the same curve as someone like Pacioretty was or Hodgson is.
You do realize that Giroux wasn't expected to be Giroux until about 1 1/2 seasons ago right? It's not exactly sacrilege to say that he's on the same development path, no one said that he would turn out like him.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Stringer Bell

Of course he is. If you want to look at it as simply as one should, his major flaws when drafted are still his major flaws today. End of story.

He literally hasn't accomplished anything important in his over 3 years of development.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:12 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

A good comparison I use frequently is Brad Marchand (playing style too).

He didn't crack the Bruins roster until he was 22. Obviously the key difference is that he wasn't a top 10 pick but it's comparable as I think Kadri's upside is somewhere around Marchand's.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:29 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
IMO He isn't. Not everyone is going to make the NHL at 18, 19 or 20 and dominate like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos. Everyone was just expecting an immediate impact player when we had the 7th overall pick in 09.

When was the last time we drafted a centre that high in a draft? High expectations were just placed on him because of it. He's doing just fine.
I'd say the only people thinking he's behind in his development would be those who thought he was a shoe-in for the team when he was drafted, or after his post draft season, or after his 1st. AHL season.

Many others have been patient with him, saying that when he's ready he'll get the call and prove himself in the NHL.

If you have a great eye for talent, and lucky, you get a Skinner, otherwise you draft and develop.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-12-2012, 09:18 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Of course he is. If you want to look at it as simply as one should, his major flaws when drafted are still his major flaws today. End of story.

He literally hasn't accomplished anything important in his over 3 years of development.
you dont know wat development is, do you?

Old
10-12-2012, 09:30 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
A good comparison I use frequently is Brad Marchand (playing style too).

He didn't crack the Bruins roster until he was 22. Obviously the key difference is that he wasn't a top 10 pick but it's comparable as I think Kadri's upside is somewhere around Marchand's.
How are Kadri and Marchand at all similar? Beyond the fact that they're both undersized?

Marchand - Moderate amount of skill. VERY physical. Very good two-way player who is good on the PK.

Kadri - High level of skill. Moderately physical. Bad defensively and causes lots of turnovers.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:51 AM
hockeyfanz

How do you know how long into a journey you are, as it relates to the entire trip, if you don't know where the finish is?

Old
10-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Stringer Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Of course I do, better than you it would seem. LOL

Old
10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
How are Kadri and Marchand at all similar? Beyond the fact that they're both undersized?

Marchand - Moderate amount of skill. VERY physical. Very good two-way player who is good on the PK.

Kadri - High level of skill. Moderately physical. Bad defensively and causes lots of turnovers.
I see that myth is still going on.

I was going by their tendencies to get under the oppositions skins and draw penalties.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Kadri is developing nicely - as a doughnut. He reported to his American league team grossly over weight. What does that say about his character? He is much like Cody Hodgson, selfish.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:22 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Kadri is developing nicely - as a doughnut. He reported to his American league team grossly over weight. What does that say about his character? He is much like Cody Hodgson, selfish.
Who said he was "grossly over-weight"?

Old
10-12-2012, 10:25 AM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
Nazem Kadri was drafted 2 spots behind the much beloved Brayden Schenn, who has played 12 more games and one more point than Kadri. Now there is a bust.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
Nazem Kadri was drafted 2 spots behind the much beloved Brayden Schenn, who has played 12 more games and one more point than Kadri. Now there is a bust.
Schenn is a much better player. He's tough, and plays tough. Kadri does not. A comparison of point production does not take that (toughness) into account. Kadri will never be that calibre of player; he's too selfish.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:56 AM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Schenn is a much better player. He's tough, and plays tough. Kadri does not. A comparison of point production does not take that (toughness) into account. Kadri will never be that calibre of player; he's too selfish.
Kadri has grit and is tough. You have to watch him play to know that. He can hit and he does. Him and schenn are offensive players. He's not a bust if he doesn't hit all the time, or isn't the "definition" of tough. His point production is better than schenn's, therefore he is already a better player. How is e selfish exactly? He has more assists then goals. I don't know where your getting this information from.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Pierre Gotye

I think we keep waiting for Kadri to prove us wrong, prove us to be right, or be traded.

Either way, it's a lot of waiting. I'm still very skeptical. But when you look at the players drafted after him, other than maybe Kreider, it's not like we missed out on much.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Joey Hoser

Does it really make sense to this discussion on opening day? You are all just asking to eat crow.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
Kadri has grit and is tough. You have to watch him play to know that. He can hit and he does. Him and schenn are offensive players. He's not a bust if he doesn't hit all the time, or isn't the "definition" of tough. His point production is better than schenn's, therefore he is already a better player. How is e selfish exactly? He has more assists then goals. I don't know where your getting this information from.
Kadri only makes contact when he is at the advantage. He avoids all other contact. This is not tough. He does not take contact to make plays. This is selfish. Also, his skill level is not such that will compensate for the selfish nature of his play. He may, some day, play in the NHL, but his selfish nature defines him as a player that teams do not win with.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:12 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
i'll be happy if he is a 20-20 guy in the NHL anything more and he's exceeded my expectations. I do wish him the best if anyone deserves support it's him.
if thats all he turns out to be he's a bust

Old
10-12-2012, 11:25 AM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
Probably the same place as the information about Kadri being "grossly over-weight"....

Old
10-12-2012, 11:29 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draeko17 View Post
Probably the same place as the information about Kadri being "grossly over-weight"....
He's fat because he's selfish. If he'd only pass the chips once in a while.....

Old
10-12-2012, 11:33 AM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
He's fat because he's selfish. If he'd only pass the chips once in a while.....
lol well played.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:08 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
In the same market that deemed Sundin unworthy, the kids doomed. Too many expectations placed on a guy who will never carry an nhl team. In any other market he would be a good up and coming prospect. In Toronto, when your drafted 7th overall being good is not going to cut it.
Absolutely. In Toronto, nothing is ever good enough. You'll always find a vocal minority who'll deem anything adequate as simply not good enough. It's probably a factor in why we can't attract talent unless we overpay. Toronto fans are extremely fickle towards athletes and seem to want to overturn rosters ever 2-3 years. I guess it's difficult to blame them entirely when the city produces one championship caliber team every couple decades.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:10 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:

Old
10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Nope.

http://bleedingbluenwhite.blogspot.c...aft-class.html

Old
10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Kadri only makes contact when he is at the advantage. He avoids all other contact. This is not tough. He does not take contact to make plays. This is selfish. Also, his skill level is not such that will compensate for the selfish nature of his play. He may, some day, play in the NHL, but his selfish nature defines him as a player that teams do not win with.
Kessel does not take contact. I guess he's selfish and is a bust.

Closed Thread