HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official "Ottawa RedBlacks" Thread Part I: "Embarrassing Logo" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Ice-Tray

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Ottawa Highlanders

Hey guys and gals!

So, it seems that the CFL group plans on holding some sort of contest to name the team. So I guess now's as good a time as ever to start sharing some details of the proposal I have been working on for the past year.

I first met up with local sports historian Jim McAuley around this time last year to discuss finding a name for the CFL franchise. We looked over old photos and such, and talked about the name Rough Riders. One thing that came up was Theodore Roosevelt's elite army called the Rough Riders, and that sparked a research into military themes that would resonate with Ottawa.

During my research, I stumbled upon the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa. Thought it had a cool sound to it so did more research and found out some pretty interesting stuff:

1. The Camerons Highlanders are Ottawa's only regiment
2. In WWII, they were the first to land at the battle of Normandy
3. During WWII, the Camerons were stationed at Landsdown before taking off for the war. During their time there, they helped out cleaning the Rough Riders locker rooms and got to watch games.
4. The regiment was formed of two battalions, the 1st and the second, with the first being the soldiers leaving for war and the second staying back to recruit and train. Nothing special here but thought there was a bit of a parallel with the actual team and the extensive coaching staff of a football team.

So, Jim and I teamed up with Rocket 57 Illustration to get to work on branding. Our main goal was to demystify the Scottish connotation the name might have and make it clear that it was an hommage to the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa. The reason being that the Ottawa population might be aware of the reference, but the general public wouldn't. We wanted to keep the brand away from anything too modern looking. So after many iterations of the logo(s), we finally got the look we were looking for.

In february of this year, our team met with the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa and presented our proposal. They shared stories and provided insights into their history. Turned out that at some point, prior to being called the Camerons, they were actually the Ottawa Highlanders.

So, since then we've been waiting to share our work with the people of Ottawa/Gatineau. I will wait for an official announcement from the team to present the whole thing, but I will share a teaser later on today Hope you like it!
I like it... Haha, check my Avatar...

We also hold the FREEDOM OF THE CITY Honour....

Military privilege

Freedom of the City is an ancient honour granted to martial organizations, allowing them the privilege to march into the city "with drums beating, colours flying, and bayonets fixed".[1]

This honour dates back to ancient Rome which regarded the "Pomerium", the boundary of the city, as sacred and promagistrates and generals were forbidden from entering it, and resigned their imperium immediately upon crossing it. As a result, a general waiting to celebrate a triumph with his victorious troops was required to wait outside the pomerium until his triumph. Under the Republic, soldiers also lost their status when entering, becoming citizens: thus soldiers at their general's triumph wore civilian dress and weapons were also banned inside the pomerium for religious and traditional reasons. (The assassination of Julius Caesar occurred outside this boundary.)

Similar laws were passed by cities throughout the Medieval era, also to protect public security and civic rights, even against their own king's troops.

Today, martial freedom of the city is an entirely ceremonial honour, but remains the oldest and one of the highest civic honours in the Commonwealth of Nations.[2]

Last edited by Ice-Tray: 10-11-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: name change
Old
10-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

I am intrigued. I am extremely stoked for Ottawa to get a CFL team back, and I'm still holding out hope that the Original Rough Riders return (Hunt et al did buy the name off Chen I believe), I'm open to a new name as well.

I'll start with the positives, I love that you intend to maintain Ottawa colours!
I'm also appreciative of the thought put into the name. A name of historical or cultural significance is more meaningful, rather than trendy names like the Raptors for example. I also appreciate tastefully trying to disassociate the term from a specific group.
The association with Lansdown is awesome, great research!

However, while I will remain open to whatever you putforth, (as you have not done wrong yet!) I have issues right away with a team being associated with modern warfare, either expressly or implied (i.e. Jets - their new uniform). Also, very unlikely, but still something that should maybe be given some consideration is that the association of a team and a still active regiment could lead to potentially awkward issue in the future. (i.e. the regiment's inclusion in an unpopular war, etc)

I don't doubt the bravery of the men who fought in the regiment, but from a purely historical point of view the fact that it participated in the Boer War is of concern. Canada's inclusion in the war was highly controversial between the French and the English, and stirred up a lot of $@!*. (My understanding is that you had the Loyalist Canadians, who wanted to fight for Britain, and then you had French Canadians who sympathized with the Boer's). So given Ottawa's makeup, I think that's a knock against the name.

Also, the coat of arms of the regiment appears to have Jesus on it, which, while religious symbols don't offend me, it can be a sticking point with others. I know that the team won't be representatives of the Regiment, or vice-versa - but as you would be establishing a link, I know you'll be weighing the pros and cons of the names.

I know this is a little bit over the top, and given how thorough you've been, I'm sure you've given this due consideration.

Please don't see this as anything other than constructive criticism, as like everyone else on the Board, I am are hugely appreciated of your work (i.e. Sens Heritage jersey) and the fact that you're sharing it with us.

How many proposal do you have drafts for?!?!?!?!

Old
10-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
However, while I will remain open to whatever you putforth, (as you have not done wrong yet!) I have issues right away with a team being associated with modern warfare, either expressly or implied (i.e. Jets - their new uniform). Also, very unlikely, but still something that should maybe be given some consideration is that the association of a team and a still active regiment could lead to potentially awkward issue in the future. (i.e. the regiment's inclusion in an unpopular war, etc)

I don't doubt the bravery of the men who fought in the regiment, but from a purely historical point of view the fact that it participated in the Boer War is of concern. Canada's inclusion in the war was highly controversial between the French and the English, and stirred up a lot of $@!*. (My understanding is that you had the Loyalist Canadians, who wanted to fight for Britain, and then you had French Canadians who sympathized with the Boer's). So given Ottawa's makeup, I think that's a knock against the name.

Also, the coat of arms of the regiment appears to have Jesus on it, which, while religious symbols don't offend me, it can be a sticking point with others. I know that the team won't be representatives of the Regiment, or vice-versa - but as you would be establishing a link, I know you'll be weighing the pros and cons of the names.

I know this is a little bit over the top, and given how thorough you've been, I'm sure you've given this due consideration.
When you consider the knee-jerk "War bad!!" responses that things like this can be prone to, this was an insightful and educating response

Old
10-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Good points. The military theme is a common one, wether it be the Blue Bombers, Alouettes, Fighting Irish, etc... While war is in no way good, the name is meant more as an hommage and obviously not a reference to modern warfare, as are the rest of the names listed. Furthermore, the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, as they are known today, were once simply the Highlanders of Ottawa, so there is still a dissociation there. I don't think everyone who wears a poppy supports military presence worldwide, but we do remember and appreciate what veterans have done. So it's with the same frame of mind that we approached this. The fact that they were stationed at Landsdown, first to land at the battle of Normandy etc is what we are referencing.

Like you said, the Camerons are the Camerons and the Highlanders would be the Highlanders, but football in Ottawa and Landsdown shared a bit of its history with Ottawa's regiment, and that's what we're focusing on here. But great input!

Also, sadly the name Rough Riders will not be coming back. That's ehat I originally hoped for as well..

Quote:
I am intrigued. I am extremely stoked for Ottawa to get a CFL team back, and I'm still holding out hope that the Original Rough Riders return (Hunt et al did buy the name off Chen I believe), I'm open to a new name as well.

I'll start with the positives, I love that you intend to maintain Ottawa colours!
I'm also appreciative of the thought put into the name. A name of historical or cultural significance is more meaningful, rather than trendy names like the Raptors for example. I also appreciate tastefully trying to disassociate the term from a specific group.

Please don't see this as anything other than constructive criticism, as like everyone else on the Board, I am are hugely appreciated of your work (i.e. Sens Heritage jersey) and the fact that you're sharing it with us.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
When you consider the knee-jerk "War bad!!" responses that things like this can be prone to, this was an insightful and educating response
Absolutely

Old
10-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:

Hehe, that's not Jesus, that's St. Andrew.

His patronages include the following:

Scotland, Ukraine, Russia, Sicily, Greece, Cyprus, Romania, Patras, Diocese of Parañaque, City of Manila,[1] Amalfi, Luqa (Malta) and Prussia; Diocese of Victoria, Barbados, Florida, US Army Rangers, fishermen, fishmongers, rope-makers, golfers and performers.

Quite an inclusive list, and includes performers!!

As a side note, the motto of the Cameron Highlanders, and of the city of Ottawa, is Advance, not bad for a football team...

Last edited by Ice-Tray: 10-11-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
10-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Wham City

I'm sure it's gonna look great Jerk Store, but shaking the Scottish thing seems a tall order.

Ottawa Bootleggers is my vote.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

The Ottawa Bytown Riders.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
"Ottawa Friends of Lansdowne"

Mascot is a hipster pig with a stick up its ass named Debbie Downer.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
i like it just because of the history to it. (not that i knew before).
and youre obviously respecting the colors. cant wait to see it andif theres a vote, im behind you just because of your awesome heritage sens jerjey

Old
10-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
i like it just because of the history to it. (not that i knew before).
and youre obviously respecting the colors. cant wait to see it andif theres a vote, im behind you just because of your awesome heritage sens jerjey
Lol thanks

Old
10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

There can be only one!!!!

Old
10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
They should be named the Ottawa Polaks, because, as we all know, North America was discovered by Krzystof Kolumbski; then, in Earth War 1, when aliens from Jupiter known then as Russians attacked Poland's general Palramentslav Buidlingski in Ottawa (Today the Parliament building is even named after him), the Poles fought off the communists, nazis, and ghosts to save Canada, before accidentally being sent through a time-space-portal back to Europe, which they originally discovered too.

As you can see, Polaks have a long history in Ottawa.

Old
10-11-2012, 11:19 PM
BlazingRoy
It only grows

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
There can be only one!!!!
Ottawa gladiators?

... does that mean the mascot will be that spartan guy from the playoffs

Old
10-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDave View Post
They should be named the Ottawa Polaks, because, as we all know, North America was discovered by Krzystof Kolumbski; then, in Earth War 1, when aliens from Jupiter known then as Russians attacked Poland's general Palramentslav Buidlingski in Ottawa (Today the Parliament building is even named after him), the Poles fought off the communists, nazis, and ghosts to save Canada, before accidentally being sent through a time-space-portal back to Europe, which they originally discovered too.

As you can see, Polaks have a long history in Ottawa.
We'll finally be able to draw in that Wilno/Barry's Bay market!

Old
10-12-2012, 08:54 AM
FuriousSenator

Anyone know how this East end berm thing is gonna work? Why not put up temporary stands there?

Old
10-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Margaret Trudeau*

how about Ottawa Peacekeepers?

I know we have a conservative leader right now and the peace keeping has lost its budget, but it will really give kids insight into our great history of diplomacy and preventing war (excluding Rwanda.)

Old
10-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Teaser #2

Last edited by Jerk Store: 10-23-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
10-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Teaser #2
cant... tell.... what... that is!!!

Old
10-12-2012, 10:01 AM
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.

Quote:
Teaser #2
damn these teasers!
would you consider doing up a concept for the upcoming NASL team? If the team gets called the Ottawa Fury i may have to cancel my season tickets.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
damn these teasers!
would you consider doing up a concept for the upcoming NASL team? If the team gets called the Ottawa Fury i may have to cancel my season tickets.
I absolutely would! That would be quite a fun project!

Old
10-12-2012, 10:50 AM
FuriousSenator

When is the full announcement of the Highlander project planned for Jerkstore?

Old
10-12-2012, 12:14 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
cant... tell.... what... that is!!!
It's the collar of a soldier's tunic. Above that you see the shadow under his jaw and chin, and immediately above that you have the bottom of his mouth. He's facing right.

10-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
It's the collar of a soldier's tunic. Above that you see the shadow under his jaw and chin, and immediately above that you have the bottom of his mouth. He's facing right.
Well done

Old
10-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Yea Yea... ok there show-off.

Closed Thread