HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 CBA Discussion Thread *NHL/NHLPA Please do Something!!*

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Bones45

vCash: 500
This guy nails it

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...r-the-game-cox

My favorite line: "The NHL game as played in the post-season last spring was, for the most part, ghastly, and it will return in the same form at the end of this lockout, a ping-pong game in which shot-blocking is more valued than skill and imagination."

Part of the new CBA needs to get the game back to BEING FUN TO WATCH. NHL needs fans, and more media coverage.. and trying to watch and enjoy the the game, in it's current state, is impossible.

Nothing like having stars with playmaking talent given 4 square feet of ice to work on.

DENIS SAVARD, WHERE ARE YOU???

Old
10-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Islanderfan17

I completely agree, this past playoffs was by far the most boring playoffs in a long time IMO. The only match ups that were exciting were the Sens/Rangers (mainly cause the Sens gave them a damn good run for their money) and the Pens/Flyers match up for the insanity of it all. The Bruins cup run was also kind of meh but still fun to watch because of the insane goaltending. The Hawks run in 2010 was the most fun playoffs in the past number of years IMO, watching that team offensively dominate their way to the cup was a treat.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post

My favorite line: "The NHL game as played in the post-season last spring was, for the most part, ghastly, and it will return in the same form at the end of this lockout, a ping-pong game in which shot-blocking is more valued than skill and imagination."

Part of the new CBA needs to get the game back to BEING FUN TO WATCH. NHL needs fans, and more media coverage.. and trying to watch and enjoy the the game, in it's current state, is impossible.

Nothing like having stars with playmaking talent given 4 square feet of ice to work on.

Spot ****ing on!

Unfortunately this will never be addressed. How could it? If teams are going to play that way they are going to play that way. There is only one solution. Go 4 on 4 full time. I know the purists will kill me for saying this but I would love to see it. Of course it will never happen due to losing upwards of around 100 jobs.

No one can argue that the game is VASTLY improved in overtime. Is that because it's 4 on 4 or because both teams have a point already with nothing to lose? Probably a bit of both. But more open ice is always welcome. 5 on 5 with the type of defense teams play these days is suffocating and hard to watch at times.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
I guess I'm in the minority because I highly enjoyed this past postseason and watched almost every sing game.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I guess I'm in the minority because I highly enjoyed this past postseason and watched almost every sing game.
prob b/c you wanted to login to HF and stare at your avatar.

Understandable...

Old
10-12-2012, 02:04 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

Easy solution: SHRINK THE PADS! EVERYONE'S PADS!

The game was hard fought and tough on players but there was less hitting cheapishly, goalies were required to have TALENT (though it hurts Nilsson and Poulin a bit) and you just couldn't trap if you were afraid of being hit. The tougher teams wore down such stupid hockey.

Just bring back the 1970's regulations. Maybe keep the helmet rules (though as a purist, I'd love to see the old school game in its entirety).

Old
10-12-2012, 07:15 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Easy solution: SHRINK THE PADS! EVERYONE'S PADS!

The game was hard fought and tough on players but there was less hitting cheapishly, goalies were required to have TALENT (though it hurts Nilsson and Poulin a bit) and you just couldn't trap if you were afraid of being hit. The tougher teams wore down such stupid hockey.

Just bring back the 1970's regulations. Maybe keep the helmet rules (though as a purist, I'd love to see the old school game in its entirety).
I agree, although I think you need to keep the helmets. And not just shrink, but get rid of the hard plastic "pads" and replace them with smooshy foam again.

Old
10-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Any news on what Bailey is up to?

He'd probably benefit from a stint in Europe.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post

Bailey would benefit from anything that doesn't require wearing an Islanders jersey.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I enjoyed the postseason as well.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post

I wonder if a team would even consider him a asset though.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:12 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Um, dipietro signed over there...im sure Bailey can find a spot. The Bailey hate on this board is ridiculous.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Um, dipietro signed over there...im sure Bailey can find a spot. The Bailey hate on this board is ridiculous.
Concur. He's probably the most technically gifted islander besides tavares. His problem is, and always has been, consistency..

Old
10-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Bones45

Quote:
Mostly is generated from the Isles inept mgmt, bringing him into a circus of a team FAR too early. He needed at LEAST two years in Bridgeport.

and then the balance of the hate is based upon him being invisible and doing nothing for 80% of his shifts.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
As said above - it's MANAGEMENT.

Bailey was gonna be a soft Brent Sutter type IMHO, but now it looks like hw's gonna be a hardcore.....Bob Bassen.

Strome and Kabanov have made him a third liner with some scoring punch rather than a second line staple we'd have hoped he could be.

And I think Bailey would do well signing in a Czech league or better.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:22 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
As said above - it's MANAGEMENT.

Bailey was gonna be a soft Brent Sutter type IMHO, but now it looks like hw's gonna be a hardcore.....Bob Bassen.

Strome and Kabanov have made him a third liner with some scoring punch rather than a second line staple we'd have hoped he could be.

And I think Bailey would do well signing in a Czech league or better.
Let's not be so quick to assume that either Strome or Kabanov are better than Bailey. Bailey had 17pts in 11 AHL games. Bailey outscored both at the same age in junior (I think he was close with Strome)

Easy to project how good a player will be before they actually play a game at pro.

That said, we could use a Bob Bassen as much as anyone - well, assuming there's a season.

Quote:
Mostly is generated from the Isles inept mgmt, bringing him into a circus of a team FAR too early. He needed at LEAST two years in Bridgeport.

and then the balance of the hate is based upon him being invisible and doing nothing for 80% of his shifts.
At least an additional year in Windsor and then at least a full year in the AHL. I believe he would have earned a call-up or even won a job after a half season in the AHL, especially given how poor the NYI were at the time.

I think Bailey will play in the league for ten more years. He's a good hockey player. Maybe he breaks-out into a more offensive role at some point, maybe not, but he's become a player who's an asset on a team. He's smart, effective in all zones, he can play PP and kills penalties, doesn't take dumb penalties, doesn't make dumb mistakes, has learned to cycle the puck and play along the wall.

He's no Corey Trivino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
There are a lot of teams that would take Bailey. He's a good player.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
leaponover

Bailey would definitely be an asset to a European club. With us, he will always be a Shawn Bates. Yeah, people are going to argue this but honestly that is what his OUTPUT will be. It will mimic Shawn Bate's numbers and role on the team, but everyone will constantly say things like, "he's so skilled he will break out soon" or "he's got so much talent it's just a matter of time" for the next 10 years.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:34 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Bailey would definitely be an asset to a European club. With us, he will always be a Shawn Bates. Yeah, people are going to argue this but honestly that is what his OUTPUT will be. It will mimic Shawn Bate's numbers and role on the team, but everyone will constantly say things like, "he's so skilled he will break out soon" or "he's got so much talent it's just a matter of time" for the next 10 years.
Coming into this season, Bailey was 3 yrs from unrestricted free agency.

In his last contract, he took a 2 yr 'show me ' contract, after seeing Grabner and Okposo sign 5 yr extensions. From their disappointed comments, I thought it sounded like Comeau and Bailey wanted similar longterm deals.

Bailey's not sticking around, struggling for the next 10 yrs
He'll be due raises and quickly approaching unrestricted free agency, while Snow will have young, cheaper forwards coming through the system and looking for nhl roster spots.

Either Bailey establishes himself as a core player in the next 1-2 seasons or he'll be gone imo.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Tavaresfan91

New Proposal by Bettman today 50/50 split in HRR and this offer is contignent on an 82 game season which would begin on November 2nd. GREAT NEWS players have to accept this or will look like scum bags IMO.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Tavaresfan91

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407490

Old
10-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
New Proposal by Bettman today 50/50 split in HRR and this offer is contignent on an 82 game season which would begin on November 2nd. GREAT NEWS players have to accept this or will look like scum bags IMO.
it all depends on the other details. what other rights might they lose etc.
i mean what if the other sad to get to 50/50 there is no more Free agency or that entry level is now 10 years etc

Old
10-16-2012, 12:37 PM
puckstopper55

Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
I would like to see the details, but a 50/50 split and no roll back is a great place to be. I hope the deal is for 10 years so we dont need to go through this again.

Interesting to note that the NHL wants a full 82 game schedule. Are the owners looking to recoup the $ lost or maybe so they dont have to reimburse the season tix holders?

Old
10-16-2012, 01:11 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

The players better ****ing accept this proposal.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
scott99

Unfortunately, Fehr is the players leader, you know he will **** this up.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:23 PM
scott99

Hopefully they have an agreement by next week at this time.

Closed Thread