HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago-Toronto

Old
10-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Abramovich View Post
I would hope Leafs take this deal and run. Phil Kesler and Bozak are not worth that package at all. That package > the package CLB received for Rick "Freeway" Nash. It is pretty well established that Rick Nash > Phil Kesler.
Yeah that package is worth more than what Columbus received for Nash, but look at Nash's contract. Clearly, it would take a lot more to pry Kessel from Toronto aaaaaaaaaaand get Bozak along with him.

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 02:30 AM
Intense Rage

Quote:
I would hope Leafs take this deal and run. Phil Kesler and Bozak are not worth that package at all. That package > the package CLB received for Rick "Freeway" Nash. It is pretty well established that Rick Nash > Phil Kesler.
Who the hell is Phil Kesler?

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

No thanks. I don't get why we would want this to happen.

10-12-2012, 07:08 AM
handyj

Quote:
The Nash trade value is pretty much irrelevant, CLB was forced into trading their star because he didn't want to be there anymore. If he had wanted to stay there's no way they would have dealt him for that package, and if he could have been dealt to any team in the league he would have fetched more. There is zero reason for the Leafs to want to trade Kessel right now, especially for a package of prospects that are only blue chippers in the eyes of Hawks fans. If the Leafs were to trade Kessel it would be for a deal they couldn't possibly refuse, not scraps.

And I don't know where it's 'pretty well established' that Nash > Kessel (maybe on HF Boards), but I'd say they are close to equal in value, and through my blue and white goggles I keep Kessel over Nash. Nash has a bit more of a rare blend of skills/size, but taking actual results over the past few seasons into consideration I stick with Kessel. Not to mention as much as I don't like him as our 1C, Bozak isn't just some throw in here.

handyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 07:16 AM
handyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
First off, the best player in this preposterous proposal is Kessel. On that alone, quantity isnt gonna get possibly the best player on the Leafs, and the mere thought that TT is enough of a deal breaqker to go along with Leddy, when the Leafs had a chance to draft the guy before he fell like a brick in the draft to the Hawks is enough for me to think this is quite out landish and insulting to Leaf fans.

Why, in gods name would Burke trade away the player he traded a high draft pick in Seguin for for what appears to be nothing but scraps? Leddy is such a one dimensional player that his expiration date expires the second he loses his quickness. TT hasnt showed anything so far this year while playing in a mediocre mens league with the exception that he fell in the draft for a reason. Kruger is nothing but a fourth liner at best in the NHL, and the draft pick is a late first rounder while Kevin Hayes has done nothing to prove he wasnt a reach when picked.

How is that worth Kessel?
This sums it up pretty accurately. No reason to trade Kessel, and this package that some Hawks fans are pretending is so special is very mediocre. TT dropped for a reason, and I'm sure he was even further down Burke's list since he's the opposite of what Burke is looking for. I wouldn't have been surprised if Burke took Matt Finn over TT if he had the choice in the 2nd round.

Leddy is an even more one-dimensional, lower upside version of Jake Gardiner. The other two guys are 'meh' prospects that will be lucky to ever see consistent bottom six minutes. The draft pick is also going to be late, especially when the Hawks add a 35ish goal winger for scraps.

And I won't even get into what our lineup would look like if we made this trade. With Lupul, JVR, and Grabo as our best three forwards we'd be picking 1st overall for the foreseeable future. In no way would this trade benefit the Leafs short or long term.

handyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:32 AM
MapleReef

Absolutely....

Ridiculous!

MapleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:38 AM
416Leafer

I'd want McNeil to be included in the deal.

The problem is Chicago kinda lacks a "stud" prospect, which is what I think Toronto would be looking for in any deal for Kessel. There are a number of intriguing names (McNeil, Saad, Hayes, T.T., etc), but no top 10-20 prospects (league-wide).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
No thanks, Leafs don't have anything we should want but Grabovski, maybe Gunner. The rest of the team, they can keep them.
yeah... who would need a young top 5 scoring winger anyways

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Myers View Post
yeah... who would need a young top 5 scoring winger anyways
Yeah, for free, sure. But to give up those assets, no way. We are hurting on D and at C. We're hoping the young players in this deal can fill those holes. The only thing we have no worries about are wingers.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
WarriorofTime

Heck no from Chicago. You want to completely decimate the prospect pool to add another offensively minded winger? We have enough of those as is. What we need are 2nd liners that can play on the 3rd line at a cheap cost. How do we acquire that? By developing them. Hawks should absolutely not make this trade. Toronto should since they're rebuilding and nowhere close to competitive yet.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 01:57 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Please give us an example of who?

IIRC only 15 or 16 centers outscored Krejci last season. Which one could Chicago acquire for Kane?
Um, yeah it would need to be Krejci + Hamilton. Anything short of that and you're dreaming. Kane is 23.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Heck no from Chicago. You want to completely decimate the prospect pool to add another offensively minded winger? We have enough of those as is. What we need are 2nd liners that can play on the 3rd line at a cheap cost. How do we acquire that? By developing them. Hawks should absolutely not make this trade. Toronto should since they're rebuilding and nowhere close to competitive yet.
I agree with you completely except the last part. Unless Toronto plans on rebuilding for a decade, trading Kessel isn't an option. I think the way to look at this would be whether we should trade Kane for a similar package and the answer is a resounding no.

Doesn't make sense for us to argue that our own young forward is untouchable and yet say that another team's is easily disposed for futures.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Um, yeah it would need to be Krejci + Hamilton. Anything short of that and you're dreaming. Kane is 23.

"Krejci + Hamilton for Kane" ????? And I'M the one who's dreaming??

Krejci is 26. Hamilton is 19. Keep Kane, I wish him luck at center.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:

I hate to start this argument once more but that is what it would take for Chicago to ship Kane off to Boston.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
I hate to start this argument once more but that is what it would take for Chicago to ship Kane off to Boston.
Cool. It would take Toews to get Krejci + Hamilton from Boston.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
I agree with you completely except the last part. Unless Toronto plans on rebuilding for a decade, trading Kessel isn't an option. I think the way to look at this would be whether we should trade Kane for a similar package and the answer is a resounding no.

Doesn't make sense for us to argue that our own young forward is untouchable and yet say that another team's is easily disposed for futures.
Best post of the thread. Well said.

Toronto would never accept that packiage since it does not address their real needs. Chicago doesn't "need" another offensive right winger, but Kessel's value is far higher than the offered package and that package is not going to truly address Toronto's needs. Seems simple.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:

Krejci is not close to getting Kane. Krejcii's nowhere as offensively consistent as Kane, nor as talented. You definitely add something significant to Krejci to get Kane. That being said, I don't see Boston wanting Kane as he does not seem the right kind of fit for the way the Bruins play hockey. In a vaccuum, Krejci and Hamilton would seem like fair value. In reality, Boston and Chicago both say no.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Best post of the thread. Well said.

Toronto would never accept that packiage since it does not address their real needs. Chicago doesn't "need" another offensive right winger, but Kessel's value is far higher than the offered package and that package is not going to truly address Toronto's needs. Seems simple.
While I agree that a RW isn't a pressing need in Chicago, Phil Kessel is certainly worth more than the prospect package OP offered. There are no 'stud' prospects in Chicago's system, some very good prospects, but void of top-tier kids.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Krejci is not close to getting Kane. Krejcii's nowhere as offensively consistent as Kane, nor as talented. You definitely add something significant to Krejci to get Kane. That being said, I don't see Boston wanting Kane as he does not seem the right kind of fit for the way the Bruins play hockey. In a vaccuum, Krejci and Hamilton would seem like fair value. In reality, Boston and Chicago both say no.
Kane 23, Krejci 26. Kane is a winger who averages 13 more points per season than Krejci (a center). AND you suggest Boston adding Hamilton is "fair value"??? Hamilton is the top ranked defensive prospect in the World.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:38 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:

Exactly. Kane is younger than Krejci and has outperformed him their whole careers. Hamilton is a prospect. I don't know what you don't get about that.