HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons @ Lake Erie Monsters 10/13 11:00AM MDT Barons Revenge Or Monster Mash 2?

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Son of Krypton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Down loading Photon for your iPad gets you around the flash part you just use that as your search engine. I don't know about Silverlight though.

Edit: I just checked on my iPad and I had no issue using Photon to view AHL Live. When you click the app use the search bar at the top to search AHL Live then when it loads it'll say you need flash then click the lightning bolt in the top right and your good to go. I think I'll purchase an individual game to night and see what happens.
Yeah, you can navigate the site using Photon (or Puffin, or iSwifter), but can you play the videos?
Did you try the "Free Highlights"?

I can't get any archived games to play using Photon, except the HQ streams (mainly the Texas Stars at home), which might mean they aren't using Silverlight for those games.

The lower-resolution games, free highlights and "AHL Weekly" won't work on my iPad using Photon.
Unless I'm doing something wrong...

Old
10-12-2012, 02:44 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

I'll be giving the Neulion online stream a shot for $7... it better not suck! If it's decent I'll pick up a pass. Guess I'll PVR the Team Canada game tonight and watch it after.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:47 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Krypton View Post
Yes, for all archived games.

During live games, however, you can only stop the stream and restart it, and you'll miss everything that happens inbetween.

Unless it's a Texas Stars home game, or any other game using the higher-quality interface.
Then you'll be able to pause or even rewind the live stream.
Thanks for that info. As I have said before, I really hope they are smart enough to have beefed up their service in anticipation of all the extra viewers they will have this season.

How are the games out of OKC in terms of quality, since that'll make up half the games? About the same as the other two low res ones you posted?

Old
10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Bryanbryoil

I've added the Barons players #'s to the OP as well as updated the time, the start time is 5:35 MDT not 4:35 like I had posted originally.

10-12-2012, 03:15 PM
T-Funk

Wow who could have guessed pay per view would be back this year

Old
10-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
How are the games out of OKC in terms of quality, since that'll make up half the games? About the same as the other two low res ones you posted?
Yes, resolution-wise, it's the same as the Lake Erie stream and at least 90 % of the AHL Live content (480 x 360 pixels).
The vertical video resolution is higher than in Houston, since the Aeros have those big green graphics bars covering much of the screen (essentially making the video 480 x 270 pixels).

As I've said before, the main issue I have with the games in OKC is the interlaced video feed.
It looks alright when the skaters aren't moving much:

But once they're skating around and the camera starts panning back and forth, you'll notice a lot of "jaggies" - jagged black horizontal lines.
One would think that after two seasons, they'd know how to deinterlace video, but no...

Old
10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsitar View Post
The game is being streamed on hockeystreams.com you can purchase single games.
Does anyone know if hockeystreams will work on blackberry playbook? BlackBerry does not support silverlight so AHL live is not an option.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:38 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
But once they're skating around and the camera starts panning back and forth, you'll notice a lot of "jaggies" - jagged black horizontal lines.
One would think that after two seasons, they'd know how to deinterlace video, but no...
Sad. But what about the consistency of the stream, which I assume is relatively independent of the source arena... is there much/any buffering in the past seasons? As I mentioned above, I'm pretty damn worried that tonight there'll be anywhere between 2x to 10x as many people watching AHL games, and there'll be problems. However, if these guys (NeuLion) do all these other top tier leagues off the same delivery system, it might be okay. But if AHL content is served out of a particular CDN, tonight could really suck.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Sad. But what about the consistency of the stream, which I assume is relatively independent of the source arena... is there much/any buffering in the past seasons? As I mentioned above, I'm pretty damn worried that tonight there'll be anywhere between 2x to 10x as many people watching AHL games, and there'll be problems. However, if these guys (NeuLion) do all these other top tier leagues off the same delivery system, it might be okay. But if AHL content is served out of a particular CDN, tonight could really suck.
I don't think I've ever had a problem with buffering.
Once you press play, it will take a few seconds of buffering before the stream starts, but I haven't experienced any streams going down or re-buffering during play.
The exception being if you switch audio feed. Sometimes, but not always, that'll make you lose the stream and you'll need to restart the video.

My guess is, buffering isn't a problem because the bitrate is so low.
I'd be surprised if it ever reaches 500 kbps (unless you're watching the Stars at home, which will give you a 2000 kbps option).
It's probably more like 300 kbps.

Any problems with audio/video going down will most likely be due to something happening in the arena.
Doug Sauter stumbling over a cable, or something.

I guess a huge increase in AHL Live viewers could cause bandwidth problems, but my guess is the streams will work just fine.
Quality will suck, yes, but the streams will work.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:09 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, you can navigate the site using Photon (or Puffin, or iSwifter), but can you play the videos?
Did you try the "Free Highlights"?

I can't get any archived games to play using Photon, except the HQ streams (mainly the Texas Stars at home), which might mean they aren't using Silverlight for those games.

The lower-resolution games, free highlights and "AHL Weekly" won't work on my iPad using Photon.
Unless I'm doing something wrong...
I'll try and let you know. Will suck if it doesn't work. Would I be able to watch thru my Xbox?

Edit:I tried and I couldn't view the either.

Last edited by czar99: 10-12-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old
10-12-2012, 04:25 PM
vespa99

My prediction as to what Lake Erie should expect.......Pain

Old
10-12-2012, 04:32 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

is there at least a radio dealey?

Old
10-12-2012, 05:13 PM
H4LL

Hey guys,

FYI the game is listed on this website here http://atdhenet.tv/index.html, hopefully the stream works at game time. Fingers crossed.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:49 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4LL View Post
Hey guys,

FYI the game is listed on this website here http://atdhenet.tv/index.html, hopefully the stream works at game time. Fingers crossed.
Pretty sure even if that works, it'll suck pretty bad, because those kinds of feeds certainly don't have the infrastructure to handle the big demand I expect we'll see tonight. Looking into NeuLion who do the AHL Live stuff, they also deliver all the other online feeds for major sports, including the NHL. So if it's all the same CDN, they'll be more than fine.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Pretty sure even if that works, it'll suck pretty bad, because those kinds of feeds certainly don't have the infrastructure to handle the big demand I expect we'll see tonight. Looking into NeuLion who do the AHL Live stuff, they also deliver all the other online feeds for major sports, including the NHL. So if it's all the same CDN, they'll be more than fine.
From past experience I'd say that the ATDHE feed would be a fair bit worse than the AHL live feed. Then you risk having the feed pulled, someone switching to something else, whatever the case may be. That said free > $7

Old
10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Oilception

I'll be listening to the game on ched, won't be home in time to make it worth paying 7 bucks for.

I am guessing the final score will be 6-1 Paajarvi (3) Eberle, Marincin, Lander

High hopes for a big first game

Old
10-12-2012, 06:23 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

As long as no one gets injured I will be happy

Old
10-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
I'll be listening to the game on ched, won't be home in time to make it worth paying 7 bucks for.

I am guessing the final score will be 6-1 Paajarvi (3) Eberle, Marincin, Lander

High hopes for a big first game
Man would that ever be huge for Paajarvi's confidence. I really don't know what to expect tonight, we obviously have the firepower to have an offensive explosion tonight, but hockey is an unpredictable sport.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Krigaren*

I would say that if possible its better to watch the adhtv link than to pay 7$ sure 7$ is not alot. But the quality (unless improven sense last year its not really good anyway so even the adhtv links should be pretty much same quality. I dont think they had silverlight last year but i cant remember i think it was only flash based.

If they recently switched to silverlight it might mean they are improving the stream.

For those with devices such as iphone, androids blackburry etc adhtv links will work on those that have flash browsers. However neither Iphone or Android have support for silverlight at all.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Jamin

And businesses wonder why torrents, streams and other infringments exist. Maybe just maybe your project is 75-100 dollars overpriced.

I dont understand it sometimes. Wouldnt 5 thousand edmontonians paying 50 or 75 bucks be better then 1 thousand paying 150. Obviously those are made up numbers but you have to think way more hockey fans would be up for this package if it was reasonable

Old
10-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
And businesses wonder why torrents, streams and other infringments exist. Maybe just maybe your project is 75-100 dollars overpriced.

I dont understand it sometimes. Wouldnt 5 thousand edmontonians paying 50 or 75 bucks be better then 1 thousand paying 150. Obviously those are made up numbers but you have to think way more hockey fans would be up for this package if it was reasonable
To be fair if not for the lockout there'd be a hell of a lot less interest in this service. That said I agree it is overpriced, but it still beats the days of not being able to watch any AHL/NHL hockey online.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:44 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
My prediction as to what Lake Erie should expect.......Pain
I dunno if you intended it, but damn that post gave me a flashback to the old Nitro records punk cd's....That is pretty much a paraphrased line from a Sloppy Seconds song.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:49 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Couldn't stand the thought of not watching any Hockey other than the WHL and broke down and bought the AHL Live team year package. The Baron team looks too good to miss.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Man would that ever be huge for Paajarvi's confidence. I really don't know what to expect tonight, we obviously have the firepower to have an offensive explosion tonight, but hockey is an unpredictable sport.
I don't no exactly what to excpect either, more just hoping and I think of anyone on the team Paajarvi could benefit from a hot start.
Also just hoping its a great game. Between OKC and Yakupovs KHL team they gotta fill the void the lack of the Oilers is causing

Old
10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

*Sniff* I never thought I'd see a GDT again.

My biggest hope for this game is that Paajarvi starts to gel with Nuge and Ebs. Have not given up on MPS just yet.

Closed Thread