HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Sports Radio Thread Part 7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
  #801
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I've seen online in multiple places that he was getting around $75K for that gig. Either way, it's not nearly the big bucks you seem to think.
I will second the 75,000 number of what I have seen online for his salary.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
  #802
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I've seen online in multiple places that he was getting around $75K for that gig. Either way, it's not nearly the big bucks you seem to think.
$75K for sitting around talking sports for four hours a day is a dream job for most. Weekends off, endless perks, available to work other jobs. Please dont ever say thats hard work.

beaverjc is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:37 PM
  #803
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
$75K for sitting around talking sports for four hours a day is a dream job.
At the rate you are going on lowering the standards for this "dream job" you will soon be stating that $30k for getting donuts for a sports show host is a dream job.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
  #804
Shaun
Registered User
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,118
vCash: 500
Maybe he thinks he'll get the Patriots play by play gig

Shaun is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
  #805
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 15,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
$75K for sitting around talking sports for four hours a day is a dream job for most. Weekends off, endless perks, available to work other jobs. Please dont ever say thats hard work.
No one is saying its hard work, but it hardly offers any job security. He saw the other 2 major flash guys get outsourced recently.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:40 PM
  #806
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
$75K for sitting around talking sports for four hours a day is a dream job.
That's a different argument, and again, it's a lot more time than 4 hours. That's just the on air piece. Obviously a lot of people would love to do that job, but let's not just gloss over the reality of what it is. Unless you're a big, big star, you don't get big money, and you don't get to go on air and just wing it. There's a lot of time spent behind the scenes with show prep. I'd still do it in a heartbeat, but I'm not going to pretend it's easy.

LSCII is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:41 PM
  #807
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
At the rate you are going on lowering the standards for this "dream job" you will soon be stating that $30k for getting donuts for a sports show host is a dream job.
Do the math - he makes over $75 per hour chatting sports. Decent wage based on 4 hours a day x 5 days a week for 50 weeks (assuming he gets 2 weeks vacation).

beaverjc is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:42 PM
  #808
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Do the math - he makes over $75 per hour chatting sports. Decent wage based on 4 hours a day x 5 days a week for 50 weeks (assuming he gets 2 weeks vacation).
It is more than 4 hours a day.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:44 PM
  #809
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
It is more than 4 hours a day.
You act like he is preparing for a Neuroscience exam. Its sports, read the herald/globe/watch news and head into work. A play by play announcer has it much more difficult than the role he had on D&C.

beaverjc is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
  #810
MattFromFranklin
#FireSweeneyandNeely
 
MattFromFranklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Franklin, MA
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
If these guys are close to a million a year (Ordway was over $1m), then yes I think JMP being part of the morning on air team was making $100K a year for that gig.
I wonder if D&C had to as well as a result of their painfully mediocre Bruins expertise/coverage in 2011.
http://boston.sbnation.com/new-engla...the-sports-hub

MattFromFranklin is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
  #811
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
You act like he is preparing for a Neuroscience exam. Its sports, read the herald/globe/watch news and head into work. A play by play announcer has it much more difficult than the role he had on D&C.
I am not. I am simply stating that it is more than 4 hours a day. I also feel you are understating the amount work that goes into the job. Either way you seem to be upset over the fact that he would a job that by your definition is a dream job to pursue other goals.

Has it dawned on you that he feels getting a play by play job is a dream job?

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
  #812
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
You act like he is preparing for a Neuroscience exam. Its sports, read the herald/globe/watch news and head into work. A play by play announcer has it much more difficult than the role he had on D&C.
And he was doing both. He was play by play for the BC Eagles Football team and the NE Revolution Soccer team along with his morning gig. Why is it such a bone of contention with you about what he got paid and how long he worked? I'm not a fan of his work on the D&C show or his play by play style, but he's at least hustling.

LSCII is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
  #813
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
And he was doing both. He was play by play for the BC Eagles Football team and the NE Revolution Soccer team along with his morning gig. Why is it such a bone of contention with you about what he got paid and how long he worked? I'm not a fan of his work on the D&C show or his play by play style, but he's at least hustling.

I think you are looking way too much into the discussion and tone. My lighthearted opinion is that i am shocked that a guy that gets paid a very good salary to hang out with his buddies and talk sports for a few hours a day would leave that position voluntarily.

beaverjc is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
  #814
GordonHowe
Registered User
 
GordonHowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I think its one thing to be the co-host of a morning show and another to be a flash guy, especially on WEEI which has outsourced/laid off all their other flash guys.

I don't blame meter for leaving. With ALL the changes that have gone on at that station, and he not getting promoted says it all. I doubt he wants to end up like Pete Sheppard, pretty much useless.
Jumping in late. So, that guy left? Like the rest of those 'eei fools, never liked him.

GordonHowe is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 03:17 PM
  #815
GordonHowe
Registered User
 
GordonHowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
Agreed. To think these guys just roll out bed and talk for 4 hours and then hit the golf course is incorrect.

They do all the prep you mention plus other gigs on TV not to mention radio commercials.
Not in the biz but as noted previously, that job is not easy. It takes a lot of energy. F&M, whatever you think of them, bring a very high energy level nearly every day. For four hours. How Felger does F&M and all of the Comcast stuff is beyond me.

And how Tony's head doesn't explode is beyond me as well. Unfortunately, more and more I find myself changing the channel because the high pitch of his voice, combined with LOUD, over the top delivery has become truly irritating. And I like Tony, generally.

GordonHowe is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
  #816
duckchobbins
Registered User
 
duckchobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
Not in the biz but as noted previously, that job is not easy. It takes a lot of energy. F&M, whatever you think of them, bring a very high energy level nearly every day. For four hours. How Felger does F&M and all of the Comcast stuff is beyond me.

And how Tony's head doesn't explode is beyond me as well. Unfortunately, more and more I find myself changing the channel because the high pitch of his voice, combined with LOUD, over the top delivery has become truly irritating. And I like Tony, generally.
Agree with everything. Felger must be running himself ragged between 98.5 and Comcast. Love him or hate him, it definitely seems like he busts ass for the almighty dollar.

Tony screams into his headset for 4 hours straight. I feel like he'd be a lot more listenable if he just beat the piss out of a punching bag during breaks. Get his energy out off air, and come correct on air with a more relaxed demeanor. I like them both, but the shouting gets to me.

duckchobbins is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 03:58 PM
  #817
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Agree with everything. Felger must be running himself ragged between 98.5 and Comcast. Love him or hate him, it definitely seems like he busts ass for the almighty dollar.

Tony screams into his headset for 4 hours straight. I feel like he'd be a lot more listenable if he just beat the piss out of a punching bag during breaks. Get his energy out off air, and come correct on air with a more relaxed demeanor. I like them both, but the shouting gets to me.
See, to me it's not like he's so full of energy that he yells. It comes off more like a person who is hard of hearing trying to talk on a cell phone. They think if they yell really loud, everyone will hear them even if they can't hear themselves. I don't think energy is the problem.

LSCII is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 04:13 PM
  #818
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
See, to me it's not like he's so full of energy that he yells. It comes off more like a person who is hard of hearing trying to talk on a cell phone. They think if they yell really loud, everyone will hear them even if they can't hear themselves. I don't think energy is the problem.
Either way, Tony yelling like that makes my teeth itch.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 04:50 PM
  #819
GordonHowe
Registered User
 
GordonHowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Agree with everything. Felger must be running himself ragged between 98.5 and Comcast. Love him or hate him, it definitely seems like he busts ass for the almighty dollar.

Tony screams into his headset for 4 hours straight. I feel like he'd be a lot more listenable if he just beat the piss out of a punching bag during breaks. Get his energy out off air, and come correct on air with a more relaxed demeanor. I like them both, but the shouting gets to me.
Will McDonough is the godfather of the sports writer/TV crossover gravy train. The ethic is:
take any media gig on earth & get while the gettin's good. I'm not putting it down, because running around like that must be exhausting.

Per Tony's schtick -- and that's what it is, high metabolism to one side -- I don't know how he keeps *that* up for four straight hours. It's unfortunate, because it's unnecessary and he appears to be a thoughtful fellow.

Haven't listened to their Saturday show, but I like Marc Bertand and Chris Gasper, too. Have listened almost from the beginning, but please to tell: why "Beetle"?

GordonHowe is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 05:47 PM
  #820
Judge Smails
How 'bout a Fresca?
 
Judge Smails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bushwood CC
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Not going to bother searching for the link right now, but in Chad Finn's boston.com chat today he made it seem like Meterparel didn't "choose" to leave. Said he felt bad for him, contract was up.

Judge Smails is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 11:23 PM
  #821
Patrice37
Registered User
 
Patrice37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 781
Country: United States
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patrice37
Just so everyone knows, Ordway took a massive pay cut after rating dropped

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_s..._with_ratings/

This being said, most of you would be shocked to hear that all of the hosts of every show on both station make into the 6 figures. The only exceptions I could see are the afternoon guys, especially Zolak and Merloni being ex-players with not much broadcasting on their resume.

They are professionals and no matter how much you may disagree with one or the other, they are good very good at what they do for the most part. They all have to prepare (except Felger who has confirmed he does very little) and there is a lot of work that goes into putting together a successful 4-hour radio show, of any topic.

Patrice37 is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 07:19 PM
  #822
Fenway
Moderator
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Maybe he thinks he'll get the Patriots play by play gig
Dan Hoard who is currently the Bengals announcer will get Gil's job. His wife Peg Rusconi would be hired by Channel 4 in a heartbeat.

Fenway is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 07:32 AM
  #823
08SeaBass08
Lucic and Chong
 
08SeaBass08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I doubt he wants to end up like Pete Sheppard, pretty much useless.
A small correction. Pete Sheppard didn't become useless. He always was. Same for Meter.

08SeaBass08 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 02:31 PM
  #824
GordonHowe
Registered User
 
GordonHowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice37 View Post
Just so everyone knows, Ordway took a massive pay cut after rating dropped

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_s..._with_ratings/

This being said, most of you would be shocked to hear that all of the hosts of every show on both station make into the 6 figures. The only exceptions I could see are the afternoon guys, especially Zolak and Merloni being ex-players with not much broadcasting on their resume.

They are professionals and no matter how much you may disagree with one or the other, they are good very good at what they do for the most part. They all have to prepare (except Felger who has confirmed he does very little) and there is a lot of work that goes into putting together a successful 4-hour radio show, of any topic.
I thought I heard TM say that Felger sends along reams of prep stuff for print out, almost daily.

GordonHowe is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
  #825
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
I heard a bit on the T&R show in which they found Felger's notes from the night before and read them on the air. It seems like he does a ton of prep and he sends stuff to everyone so they can all be on the same page. If anything it seemed like Mazz did very little to prepare for the show and Felger did it all.

Mancini0518 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.