HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tallon won't trade Bjugstad for Luongo

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Beezeral

vCash: 500
Tallon won't trade Bjugstad for Luongo

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...173584811.html

Into June, Bjugstad started to lean toward returning to school. Then, in late June, Bjugstad got wind that the Vancouver Canucks were pursuing him in a trade for goalie Roberto Luongo contingent upon signing Cory Schneider long-term. The trade talk came directly from the Canucks' brass, who wanted to know if Bjugstad planned to leave school. Panthers General Manager Dale Tallon heard about it and made clear to Bjugstad that the Panthers were not trading him.

Last edited by Beezeral: 10-12-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old
10-12-2012, 02:12 PM
StringerBell

Does this really qualify as new information? I thought this had been common knowledge for months.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet and grass is green...

Old
10-12-2012, 02:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Draft picks, a decent but not great roster player, what I don't understand is why Vancouver didn't just make the deal for such a return immediately after the season. They've painted themselves into a corner. Bjugstad...where's our Bjugstad for trading Campbell? He's in Florida where he belongs.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Draft picks, a decent but not great roster player, what I don't understand is why Vancouver didn't just make the deal for such a return immediately after the season. They've painted themselves into a corner. Bjugstad...where's our Bjugstad for trading Campbell? He's in Florida where he belongs.
Great point.. sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Gillis needs to just make a deal already, otherwise there will be contraversy with Schneider & Luongo on the roster.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
bhuya71

How about Lu to NJ for a first or a second plus a mid prospect...That kinda makes sense right?

Old
10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Nor should he.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Intense Rage

Bjugstad for Luongo never made any sense to begin with.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
How about Lu to NJ for a first or a second plus a mid prospect...That kinda makes sense right?
Either you really failed or you did this on purpose...

Devils don't need a goaltender and can't afford to give up a first, and will be very reluctant to give up a second as well.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Wait until the Panthers prospects become Pro's... Tallon is a very good GM.
A lot of the prospects they have upcoming were drafted prior to Tallon taking over.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Does this really qualify as new information? I thought this had been common knowledge for months.
It was rumored and speculated, but never written in print that bjugstad was off limits in the luongo deal

Old
10-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
A lot of the prospects they have upcoming were drafted prior to Tallon taking over.
Actually not true. The only prospect Tallon inherited was markstrom.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:44 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
To give a relevant reply: I'm not surprised. Gillis has really backed himself into a corner with the whole Luongo situation. On any given day, I believe that he would be worth Bjugstad, but given the current situation - other GM's will want to lowball him.
Should have just bit the bullet and traded Luongo months ago.

Last edited by piqued: 10-12-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
10-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Great point.. sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Gillis needs to just make a deal already, otherwise there will be contraversy with Schneider & Luongo on the roster.
We've already had both on the roster for two seasons with pretty good success. I think Gillis along with some Canuck fans are comfortable waiting because we've seen this movie and it's nothing but positive for the team. Anyone that thinks it will become a distraction hasn't paid much attention to this team recently and/or doesn't know the personalities involved.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:57 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet and grass is green...
What about grass in the fall/winter?

Old
10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
I think you are mistaken. Regardless, the fact that he refuses to trade away said prospects for veterans is a good sign for Panther fans

Old
10-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
We've already had both on the roster for two seasons with pretty good success. I think Gillis along with some Canuck fans are comfortable waiting because we've seen this movie and it's nothing but positive for the team. Anyone that thinks it will become a distraction hasn't paid much attention to this team recently and/or doesn't know the personalities involved.
No way it will work. It's Schneiders' team now, Bobby Lou is good as gone and everybody knows it. Gillis is holding out for a last minute deal that he isn't likely to get. Luongo is a top notch goaltender, but his age + contract status are a factor in his value.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:09 PM
dave babych returns

Gee, a guy got told by his GM that he wasn't going to be traded... isn't that what the Leafs told Luke Schenn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Draft picks, a decent but not great roster player, what I don't understand is why Vancouver didn't just make the deal for such a return immediately after the season.
You can't really question it until we see what the final return is. Hell, nobody can really agree on what the Canucks have been offered so far so for all we know they are holding out to get just the kind of offer you're talking about.

Basically right now they can ice a full roster without moving Luongo which means they are not under any specific deadline to move him.

Quote:
They've painted themselves into a corner.
I don't see that at all, it's pure speculation on your part (although in fairness you're hardly the only one to engage in it).

Quote:
Bjugstad...where's our Bjugstad for trading Campbell? He's in Florida where he belongs.

Campbell is in the top 2% of cap hits for regulars at his position, contrast that with Luongo who is not close to the top 10%.

Campbell is a top pairing defenseman for sure but still probably not as much of an impact player as Luongo.

And this is completely putting aside the Blackhawks absolute desperation to move his contract, the Campbell deal came at the end of a long campaign of trimming salary from the Blackhawks roster and he was the biggest (and least palatable) contract all along except for Cristobal Huet.

The Canucks as I mentioned won't have trouble icing a full roster even with $9.3m committed to Schneider and Luongo and can start the season with both players.

The situations aren't nearly as similar as you've implied they are.

Don't take this to say that I am claiming the Canucks will get Nick Bjugstad, my intent is to point out that the Canucks aren't looking for a team to do them a favour in taking Roberto Luongo's contract - they will be looking to get value in return and it almost certainly won't be an insignificant aspect of an eventual deal.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I don't blame him, I'd never trade a potential no1 C prospect either unless it's for an established centre like the Brayden Schenn trade.

And if the Kings hadn't won the cup then I'd be saying right now that it wasn't a great trade for LA (mainly cos I prefer B Schenn over M Richards in the future).

Vancouver need to focus on adding depth with scoring wingers if anything here. A Versteeg plus another prospect like Howden type of deal.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:14 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
You hate to put comparisons out there, but there are only so many guys that were that big, as big as Mario [Lemieux], and had that gift of having a pair of soft hands like [Wayne] Gretzky, for gosh sakes. I know those are big names to compare this young man to at this point in time, but to see the tools that he has, it's just phenomenal.
This quote is ridiculous.

When are they going to setup a press conference to announce that he's the "Michael Jordan of hockey."?

Old
10-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
Bjugstad for Luongo never made any sense to begin with.
This. We have Schroeder and Gaunce. Florida has no one after Bjugs

Old
10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
No, he brought about all these guys in.

This isn't news, it was tweeted a long time ago.

10-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Scurr

Quote:
No way it will work.
Based on what? I'm not going to get into a long back and forth about it, I laid out why I think it will work, why wouldn't it?

Roberto Luongo has been here 7 years and is close to a lot of players on this team. He's also a good friend of Cory Schneider. He's also a good teammate. I think people want it to be a problem, but it's not.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:49 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Actually not true. The only prospect Tallon inherited was markstrom.
Markstrom, Robak and Shore were the only notable prospects before Tallon.

Our top prospect forwards were: Dadanov, Repik, Shore
Defensive: Robak, Comrie

Yup, Tallon was given a lot of prospects...

Old
10-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Muuri

Isn't this tampering?

Closed Thread