HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Whoever takes Jones knows how much raw physical abilities he has. Erik Johnson could be a good comparison perhaps.
I feel Jones is a better skater and also thinks the game better than Johnson.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:47 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
hockeyprospect feature on Elias Lindholm (score another goal today) http://hockeyprospect.com/2013-nhl-d...rospect-brynas

Re: Frederik Gauthier, i have watched him last 3 years since the Canada game in Halifax. First thing that struck me was his defensive game and how smart he his without the puck. Played on Canada 3rd line with Simon Desbiens & Philippe Venne back then. 2-3 years ago, his offensive upside was the big question mark and its rare but going back playing midget AAA as a 16years old was probably a good thing for him. He has lot more confidence with the puck and now he's a threat in the offensive zone. Playing a tons for the Oceanic this season (1st line, 1stPP, 1stPK) I wouldn't say his skating his great for a big guy but i would think it would improved over the next couples of years. Already 6"4 220 at 17, not overly physical though but again he doesnt need to be now, he's just stronger than anyone else. its earlier but he's going to challenge to get pick in the first round this year. Also his teammate in Rimouski, Jan Kostalek is an excellent d-men for the draft as well, strong two-way game and love to throw his weight around, he was the 10th overall pick in the import draft in june.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

2 games on TV featuring 1st round talents tonight:

Mooseheads @ Voltigeurs on TVA Sports - MacKinnon and Fucale for sure...hopefully Drouin is ready to go.

EDIT: Drouin is out with his injury. Damn it.

Hitmen @ Oil Kings on Sportsnet 1 - Curtis Lazar, who is off to a very slow start.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 10-12-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old
10-12-2012, 11:23 AM
LePoche69

Question for the people who follow much of 2013's potential first round picks:

Who you think would better fit the mold of a Dustin Brown or a Ryan Smith?

Old
10-12-2012, 01:21 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
2 games on TV featuring 1st round talents tonight:

Mooseheads @ Voltigeurs on TVA Sports - MacKinnon and Fucale for sure...hopefully Drouin is ready to go.

EDIT: Drouin is out with his injury. Damn it.

Hitmen @ Oil Kings on Sportsnet 1 - Curtis Lazar, who is off to a very slow start.
This is a good thing because we will probably picking outside of the top 10. You really want him on fire all season?

Old
10-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

I wanted to watch him tonight.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:12 PM
S Bah

Depending upon the Habs draft position the BPA could be G/Zach Fucale or LD Sam Morin,in which case Morin would be my choice.Given the depth of the draft and the Habs three 2nd round choices,always take the BPA.Morin would give the Habs another behemoth Dman to complement Thrower in a few years,of course the Habs real need is complementary scoring in their Top Six.This year's draft appears to have some really talented French players available in the first,second and third rounds and the Habs have many picks.It certainly would be nice to add a few speedsters like Carrier in the 1st, Mantha in the 2nd and Baptiste in the 3rd round,giving the Habs some size,speed and Frenchmen at the same time.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Mrb1p

While watching my tapes of Sorensen, i've come to a conclusion...The kid is awesome.
The way he just burns defender off the wing reminds me of someone on the habs

He's my front runner for our 1st. Ahead of Erne and Duclair on the Remparts.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
That

Anyone interested in Artturi Lehkonen? He's a 5'10", 152 lbs RW. He's currently scoring at above a point-per-game for KalPa in the SM-Liiga. 11 points in 10 games.

I know he's not the biggest guy, but I read some comparisons to Taylor Hall and Zach Parise over on the Prospect board. Apparently he's laid some huge hits this season. He's risen to 12th on the ISS list.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:55 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Interested in seeing him, haven't been able to yet.

Am I the only one increasingly leery of Finnish prospects, especially when they get hype here? Seems like every year Finland is supposed to churn out a new star, and then they drop like bricks on draft day. Granlund might finally buck the trend but there's still countless others...

Old
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Interested in seeing him, haven't been able to yet.

Am I the only one increasingly leery of Finnish prospects, especially when they get hype here? Seems like every year Finland is supposed to churn out a new star, and then they drop like bricks on draft day. Granlund might finally buck the trend but there's still countless others...
Well you could say that for every European prospect that plays in Europe, or even prospects that we don't get to see a whole lot. One tournament can start a whole lot of hype for a prospect, especially one prospect that most posters don't get to see.

For Finland specifically, I can't really think of an example other than Teuvo Teravainen (recently). I was having a panic attack when there was talk of us drafting him with the 3rd pick.

For Sweden and Russia there are much more examples of that. Magnus Paajarvi was touted to go higher than he did. Same with Kuznetsov and Tarasenko.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Armia dropped too. People felt he would go top 10 early on that year.

And don't even get me started on Lauri Tukonen. I was convinced that guy was going to be a real good NHLer.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Et le But

Teravainen is the opposite of most recent Finnish prospects tough, guys like Armia and Granlund were hyped for a long time, and most infamously Pulkkinen who was supposed to be the next big thing and now will be lucky to play a single game in the NHL if he keeps it up.

Teravainen on the other hand was projected as a late first rounder and only rose at the end.

This Finnish draft class is legitimately different though, if only because of Barkov and Ristolainen, because these two actually have size and consistency so far.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Andy

Man, Nathan Mackinnon is just playing hockey on a different level. The game must pass at such a slow pace in his mind. He is just ridiculous. I wish I had that much talent at anything in life.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
You forgot Toni Rajala and Jesse Joensuu both really hyped to death before the draft...

Old
10-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

I'm still recovering from breaking my ankle jumping off the Toni Rajala bandwagon. I thought that guy was going to be a wicked offensive force despite his lack of his size. He completely dominated a U-18 one year.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Mrb1p

Just started watching the game...(recorded it..) It's my first Drummondville game so far this year.. Archambault has some real slick hands and he seem's to be way more implicated in the play than last year! That's a good thing I guess..

But On topic.. Fucale is reaalllly solid so far. Great glove.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Alright, my thoughts on the 3 first rounders I saw last night:

Fucale: Terrific performance, he kept it a 4-2 lead in the 2nd when the Volts were all over the Mooseheads. I am not sure if he has ELITE NHL goalie potential (basically top 3-5 for a number of seasons), but he clearly has the goods to be a very good NHL goalie. As Mrb pointed out, that glove hand is really good.

MacKinnon: I was disappointed despite the goal (an ENG) and an assist (although looking at the highlights, they gave him an assist on the 2nd goal when he shouldn't have gotten one, Frk and Fournier assisted on that 2nd goal). He wasn't bad or anything, but he did not dominate this game against a middle of the pack Drummondville team. There were some flashes of brilliance here and there were some solid stickhandling moves. Bergy was impressed though for the first time he saw him in person (watch), called him a very good skater, strong physically, good hands and involved in the play.

Edit: They got it right, no longer an assist for MacKinnon on that 2nd goal.

Lazar: He played a very good game with a goal and an assist. He's got solid speed, smooth hands, gets his nose dirty and knows where to go. I don't see him a #1 center in the NHL on a contending team because I don't think his playmaking skills are top notch, but definitely an excellent #2 C potentially.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 10-13-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old
10-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

Fucale: Terrific performance, he kept it a 4-2 lead in the 2nd when the Volts were all over the Mooseheads. I am not sure if he has ELITE NHL goalie potential (basically top 3-5 for a number of seasons), but he clearly has the goods to be a very good NHL goalies. As Mrb pointed out, that glove hand is really good.

MacKinnon: I was disappointed despite the goal (an ENG) and an assist (although looking at the highlights, they gave him an assist on the 2nd goal when he shouldn't have gotten one, Frk and Fournier assisted on that 2nd goal). He wasn't bad or anything, but he did not dominate this game against a middle of the pack Drummondville team. There were some flashes of brilliance here and there were some solid stickhandling moves. Bergy was impressed though for the first time he saw him in person (watch), called him a very good skater, strong physically, good hands and involved in the play.

Lazar: He played a very good game with a goal and an assist. He's got solid speed, smooth hands, gets his nose dirty and knows where to go. I don't see him a #1 center in the NHL on a contending team because I don't think his playmaking skills are top notch, but definitely an excellent #2 C potentially.
I wasn't disapointed by Mackinnon. Sure he didn't dominate in the O zone like he's supposed to be able to..But he was the best player on the ice in every situation. He's the perfect hockey player, strong, fast, skilled, fearless..And that's what he showed last night.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:55 PM
That

Elias Lindholm now has 10 points. Including 8 points in his last 3 games.

Brynas has been a talent machine lately. Nicklas Backstrom, Jacob Markstrom, Jakob Silfverberg, Calle Jarnkrok, Johan Larsson, Oscar Dansk and now Lindholm.

Quote:

Fucale: Terrific performance, he kept it a 4-2 lead in the 2nd when the Volts were all over the Mooseheads. I am not sure if he has ELITE NHL goalie potential (basically top 3-5 for a number of seasons), but he clearly has the goods to be a very good NHL goalies. As Mrb pointed out, that glove hand is really good.

I agree with you on Lazar. I think he's a fantastic prospect, but I just don't see #1 C potential at this point.

Last edited by That: 10-13-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old
10-13-2012, 04:06 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Elias Lindholm now has 10 points. Including 8 points in his last 3 games.

Brynas has been a talent machine lately. Nicklas Backstrom, Jacob Markstrom, Jakob Silfverberg, Calle Jarnkrok, Johan Larsson, Oscar Dansk and now Lindholm.

I agree with you on Lazar. I think he's a fantastic prospect, but I just don't see #1 C potential at this point.
Lazar will be in the Jordan Staal-Dave Bolland mold. Is it sexy? Maybe not. Is it effective? Hell yes. You need a guy like that on a winning team.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:23 PM
vad87

I would like to know more about Anthony Mantha. Big RW playing for Val d'Or and he's on fire since the beginning of the season. He just scored 3 goals in 2.56 minutes against Saint John and he's now 7-9-16 in 10 games.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
It's nice to know so many players are rising after we already had a good 15 players that should be top talents

Old
10-13-2012, 06:31 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
I would like to know more about Anthony Mantha. Big RW playing for Val d'Or and he's on fire since the beginning of the season. He just scored 3 goals in 2.56 minutes against Saint John and he's now 7-9-16 in 10 games.
Not to mention had a good rookie season with average team. Slick playmaker. Once he fills out he will have a serious advantage.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
You forgot Toni Rajala and Jesse Joensuu both really hyped to death before the draft...
Pulkkinen, too. Suppose to be a first rounder. I remember when the Oilers drafted Rajala and it was suppose to be one of the biggest steals ever...

Closed Thread