HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tallon won't trade Bjugstad for Luongo

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 04:51 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
I still don't believe it. Maybe in another month or two another article will come out about it and I'll be convinced then.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I don't blame him, I'd never trade a potential no1 C prospect either unless it's for an established centre like the Brayden Schenn trade.

And if the Kings hadn't won the cup then I'd be saying right now that it wasn't a great trade for LA (mainly cos I prefer B Schenn over M Richards in the future).

Vancouver need to focus on adding depth with scoring wingers if anything here. A Versteeg plus another prospect like Howden type of deal.
Great, I'd be more then happy with a a return like that, but I charge you, as a non-Canucks fan, to get Florida fans to see the value in it. If we can get Versteeg and a minor league prospect/player I would consider that a great return from Florida based on their offers to us.

They have made it clear that an upgrade in net is a want, not a need, and that trading a scoring winger like Versteeg is counter to their needs/surplus.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

To OP, is your life's mission to shout from the rooftops that Bjugstad won't be traded for Luongo? You've said it soooo many times on our board already that this thread seems really redundant. We get it. Wanna start a Kadri is fat thread too? I think we're short on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Great point.. sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Gillis needs to just make a deal already, otherwise there will be contraversy with Schneider & Luongo on the roster.
Well yeah...but Gillis can't make any deals til the lockout is over. And if you were following our fake season, Schneider is MIA. The only controversy is between Lu and Lack, and it's quite entertaining.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
No way it will work. It's Schneiders' team now, Bobby Lou is good as gone and everybody knows it. Gillis is holding out for a last minute deal that he isn't likely to get. Luongo is a top notch goaltender, but his age + contract status are a factor in his value.
So you know more about the Canucks than Canuck fans to say that the tandem won't work?

10-12-2012, 05:14 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Markstrom, Robak and Shore were the only notable prospects before Tallon.

Our top prospect forwards were: Dadanov, Repik, Shore
Defensive: Robak, Comrie

Yup, Tallon was given a lot of prospects...
You're omitting Kulikov.

You're also omitting the fact that Tallon took over directly before a draft in which he had the 4, 33, 36, 50, 59 picks in the first two rounds alone.

He also took over a franchise with a mandate to tear the team down to the ground and rebuild (which netted him the 15 and 25 picks in that draft as well), something few GMs get.

Tallon did well with the picks he had and has done well since but frankly if you couldn't pick up a handful of good-to-great prospects out of two truly dismal seasons then you're not fit to run an NHL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Isn't this tampering?
It would be tampering if someone in the Canucks organization came out and praised Bjugstad, but the only thing even close to that in the article is Bjugstad himself saying he'd heard rumours the Canucks were interested (implying it did not come from a member of the Canucks organization).

Old
10-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Reign Nateo

I think even most Canucks fans knew they weren't getting Bjugstad...

Old
10-12-2012, 05:28 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet and grass is green...
Actually curently here the sky is grey, but I can confirm after being outside, with this grey sky, water is wet.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:29 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Campbell is in the top 2% of cap hits for regulars at his position, contrast that with Luongo who is not close to the top 10%.

Campbell is a top pairing defenseman for sure but still probably not as much of an impact player as Luongo.

And this is completely putting aside the Blackhawks absolute desperation to move his contract, the Campbell deal came at the end of a long campaign of trimming salary from the Blackhawks roster and he was the biggest (and least palatable) contract all along except for Cristobal Huet.

The Canucks as I mentioned won't have trouble icing a full roster even with $9.3m committed to Schneider and Luongo and can start the season with both players.

The situations aren't nearly as similar as you've implied they are.

Don't take this to say that I am claiming the Canucks will get Nick Bjugstad, my intent is to point out that the Canucks aren't looking for a team to do them a favour in taking Roberto Luongo's contract - they will be looking to get value in return and it almost certainly won't be an insignificant aspect of an eventual deal.
When Campbell was traded he was a 32 year old dman signed for 5 more years. Yes, his cap hit was high, but 5 years is pretty much just right term wise. Florida got a top pairing dman on a reasonable term while giving up nothing in return except a pretty poor contract (a useless player in Olesz who was signed for 2 more years at a cap hit of $3.125 mil per year, and a real salary of $4-4.25 mil per year). It made sense to take on Campbell's cap hit, because they got a very good player for nothing (actually less than nothing), and the 5 year term was reasonable.

The problem with Luongo is not the cap hit, but the term. He's 33 years old and has 10 YEARS left on his deal. His salary decreases near the end of his deal, so it could effectively be equivalent to more of a 7 year deal, but there have been plenty of rumblings about the new CBA punishing contracts like these (for example, AHL/retired years still count against the cap once a player is 40+). It's looking like anywhere from a 7 to a 10 year deal, and that is scary. Furthermore, the Panthers really needed a #1 dman when they dealt for Campbell, but do they really need a #1 goalie? Theodore played very well for them last year, and he's cheap and only signed for 1 more year. Long term they have Markstrom, who is widely regarded as the best goalie prospect in the world, and who was great in both the AHL and NHL last year.

Luongo, if anything, provides LESS value to the Panthers than Campbell did, and all they were willing to gave up for Campbell was Olesz.

As for the Nucks being in a better negotiating position than the Hawks, I'm not totally sure I buy that. They more or less have to trade Luongo, they've decided to go with Schneider for the future, having Luongo around would be a classic lockerroom cancer situation. Even last season, before the trade demands, the relationship between Luongo and the fans was pretty toxic, it'll only get worse if he stays on the team. The Nucks want to trade him, but he has a NTC, and so far he only seems willing to waive it to go to Florida. When you feel compelled to move a player, but he'll only go to one specific team and everyone knows that, you're in basically the worst negotiating position possible.

Last edited by ponder: 10-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old
10-12-2012, 05:39 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
You're omitting Kulikov.

You're also omitting the fact that Tallon took over directly before a draft in which he had the 4, 33, 36, 50, 59 picks in the first two rounds alone.

He also took over a franchise with a mandate to tear the team down to the ground and rebuild (which netted him the 15 and 25 picks in that draft as well), something few GMs get.

Tallon did well with the picks he had and has done well since but frankly if you couldn't pick up a handful of good-to-great prospects out of two truly dismal seasons then you're not fit to run an NHL team.
Kulikov wasn't a prospect at the time.

3rd overall, and so on. Never had the 4th overall.

He called all the players and asked them if they wanted to stick around for a rebuild. Some did, like Weiss and others like Horton didn't.
He wasn't required to trade Ballard to Vancouver. He did it because he wanted to remove the dead weight/potential bad contract while Ballard still had vaule.

Easier said than done.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:51 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
When Campbell was traded he was a 32 year old dman signed for 5 more years. Yes, his cap hit was high, but 5 years is pretty much just right term wise. Florida got a top pairing dman on a reasonable term while giving up nothing in return except a pretty poor contract (a useless player in Olesz who was signed for 2 more years at a cap hit of $3.125 mil per year, and a real salary of $4-4.25 mil per year). It made sense to take on Campbell's cap hit, because they got a very good player for nothing (actually less than nothing), and the 5 year term was reasonable.
The Campbell trade made sense for the Panthers because the Blackhawks chose to bend over and take it in exchange for unloading an awful contract (for any team operating near the cap ceiling).

Quote:
The problem with Luongo is not the cap hit, but the term. He's 33 years old and has 10 YEARS left on his deal. His salary decreases near the end of his deal, so it could effectively be equivalent to more of a 7 year deal, but there have been plenty of rumblings about the new CBA punishing contracts like these (for example, AHL/retired years still count against the cap once a player is 40+).

It's looking like anywhere from a 7 to a 10 year deal, and that is scary.
It's six years before the salary in Luongo's deal drops to backup money, then to what will probably be the league minimum the year afterwards.

As for "rumblings" about the league going out and punishing teams with these deals, don't count on Gary Bettman going after these deals when you have teams like the Red Wings, Blackhawks and Bruins all sporting one or more.

Anyway by the time any trade could even begin to materialize we'll know whether there is any merit to that kind of fearmongering but for now I don't believe it.

Quote:
Furthermore, the Panthers really needed a #1 dman when they dealt for Campbell, but do they really need a #1 goalie? Theodore played very well for them last year, and he's cheap and only signed for 1 more year. Long term they have Markstrom, who is widely regarded as the best goalie prospect in the world, and who was great in both the AHL and NHL last year.
Hey, I'm not saying it's going to be the Panthers (let alone that it's going to be for Bjugstad.)

If the Panthers want to bet a whole season on Jose Theodore stringing two good years together that's their business, and if they want to wait until Markstrom is ready to play 60-65 games for a legit starter after that, fine. It could work out great, it could mean that goaltending is a big problem for them as soon as next year and into the indefinite future (ask Dan Cloutier and Rick Dipietro what repeated lower body injuries do to a goaltender's career).

Quote:
Luongo, if anything, provides LESS value to the Panthers than Campbell did, and all they were willing to gave up for Campbell was Olesz.
Well like I said it may not be the Panthers who decide to meet the asking price for Luongo, I'm not going to argue about that. That being said I would argue that the distance between Luongo's calibre and the type of goaltender available every year in free agency and the distance between Campbell's calibre and the type of defensemen available every year in free agency is pretty different.

Quote:
As for the Nucks being in a better negotiating position than the Hawks, I'm not totally sure I buy that. They more or less have to trade Luongo, they've decided to go with Schneider for the future, having Luongo around would be a classic lockerroom cancer situation. Even last season, before the trade demands, the relationship between Luongo and the fans was pretty toxic, it'll only get worse if he stays on the team.
I'm not going to bother with this dreck, Luongo has been a polarizing figure in Vancouver over the last couple of years but on balance he certainly enjoys a great reputation around the city and with his teammates. He's never done anything other than the best thing for his team and he's never given even the slightest indication that his conduct would ever change.

Quote:
The Nucks want to trade him, but he has a NTC, and so far he only seems willing to waive it to go to Florida. When you feel compelled to move a player, but he'll only go to one specific team and everyone knows that, you're in basically the worst negotiating position possible.
More cherry picking from media speculation. Luongo has repeatedly said he'd consider a number of situations.

Even if he wasn't now the Canucks could easily waive him and end up with a better return (nothing) than the Blackhawks got for Brian Campbell.

And if he doesn't want to be the new face of the franchise in Columbus he'd probably expand his alleged list pretty quickly.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Numbers

Imagine bjudstad pulling a Justin Schultz on Florida. Then talon would be right he never will trade him

Old
10-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Good, i wouldn't either.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:47 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Imagine bjudstad pulling a Justin Schultz on Florida. Then talon would be right he never will trade him
Ha, all the more reason to watch what happens with Kulikov and the budget after a CBA is signed. Tough to speculate what's going to happen with Tallon's budget after he was able to spend big for a while there.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:53 PM
KISSland

Please God bring hockey back.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Ha, imagine any team havin that happen?? Hi-lar-I...yeah, no its stupid and shouldn't happen to any team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Ha, all the more reason to watch what happens with Kulikov and the budget after a CBA is signed. Tough to speculate what's going to happen with Tallon's budget after he was able to spend big for a while there.
We'll be fine, appreciate the "concern."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Please God bring hockey back.
This.

10-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No tanking here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...173584811.html

Into June, Bjugstad started to lean toward returning to school. Then, in late June, Bjugstad got wind that the Vancouver Canucks were pursuing him in a trade for goalie Roberto Luongo contingent upon signing Cory Schneider long-term. The trade talk came directly from the Canucks' brass, who wanted to know if Bjugstad planned to leave school. Panthers General Manager Dale Tallon heard about it and made clear to Bjugstad that the Panthers were not trading him.
Nice article. It's relieving to read stuff like this because even though we all basically knew this, we still hadn't heard the part where Tallon actually spoke to Bjugstad and said he wasn't going to trade him. It indicates just where Tallon is coming from as far as this situation goes. And it's good timing too, I saw this topic right when the Gophers were ready start their first game of the season. . And by the way, did I read that right? Did the trade talks actually play a part in Bjugstad returning for another year of college? Thanks Canucks. . And **** Luongo. Oh, and Bjugstad just scored.

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 10-12-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old
10-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Gee, a guy got told by his GM that he wasn't going to be traded... isn't that what the Leafs told Luke Schenn?

You can't really question it until we see what the final return is. Hell, nobody can really agree on what the Canucks have been offered so far so for all we know they are holding out to get just the kind of offer you're talking about.

Basically right now they can ice a full roster without moving Luongo which means they are not under any specific deadline to move him.

I don't see that at all, it's pure speculation on your part (although in fairness you're hardly the only one to engage in it).

Campbell is in the top 2% of cap hits for regulars at his position, contrast that with Luongo who is not close to the top 10%.

Campbell is a top pairing defenseman for sure but still probably not as much of an impact player as Luongo.

And this is completely putting aside the Blackhawks absolute desperation to move his contract, the Campbell deal came at the end of a long campaign of trimming salary from the Blackhawks roster and he was the biggest (and least palatable) contract all along except for Cristobal Huet.

The Canucks as I mentioned won't have trouble icing a full roster even with $9.3m committed to Schneider and Luongo and can start the season with both players.

The situations aren't nearly as similar as you've implied they are.

Don't take this to say that I am claiming the Canucks will get Nick Bjugstad, my intent is to point out that the Canucks aren't looking for a team to do them a favour in taking Roberto Luongo's contract - they will be looking to get value in return and it almost certainly won't be an insignificant aspect of an eventual deal.
Keep expecting a big return, expect disappointment. Contract is a huge hurt, period. Look at trade histories, Louie will not net a big return.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:32 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
This. We have Schroeder and Gaunce. Florida has no one after Bjugs
Yeah, because that's the problem here, the lack of depth in the Panthers system as opposed to the elite depth in the Canucks.

Vincent Trocheck, Kyle Rau, and Drew Shore are Schroeder/Gaunce caliber prospects.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:35 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

The problem with Luongo is not the cap hit, but the term. He's 33 years old and has 10 YEARS left on his deal. His salary decreases near the end of his deal, so it could effectively be equivalent to more of a 7 year deal, but there have been plenty of rumblings about the new CBA punishing contracts like these (for example, AHL/retired years still count against the cap once a player is 40+). It's looking like anywhere from a 7 to a 10 year deal, and that is scary. Furthermore, the Panthers really needed a #1 dman when they dealt for Campbell, but do they really need a #1 goalie? Theodore played very well for them last year, and he's cheap and only signed for 1 more year. Long term they have Markstrom, who is widely regarded as the best goalie prospect in the world, and who was great in both the AHL and NHL last year.

As for the Nucks being in a better negotiating position than the Hawks, I'm not totally sure I buy that. They more or less have to trade Luongo, they've decided to go with Schneider for the future, having Luongo around would be a classic lockerroom cancer situation. Even last season, before the trade demands, the relationship between Luongo and the fans was pretty toxic, it'll only get worse if he stays on the team. The Nucks want to trade him, but he has a NTC, and so far he only seems willing to waive it to go to Florida. When you feel compelled to move a player, but he'll only go to one specific team and everyone knows that, you're in basically the worst negotiating position possible.
All people keep talking about is the cap hit. Yeah, the cap hit matters. But at the end of the day he's still extremely expensive salary wise and he's getting older. And I don't consider a cap hit of over 5+ million a steal by any means.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:41 PM
vanwest

Shocking!
I expected Tallon to say that yes I am considering trading Bjugstad for Luongo but keep it under your hat and don't let Gillis know.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, because that's the problem here, the lack of depth in the Panthers system as opposed to the elite depth in the Canucks.

Vincent Trocheck, Kyle Rau, and Drew Shore are Schroeder/Gaunce caliber prospects.
How much do you actually know about Schroeder and Gaunce? Please tell me.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:46 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
How much do you actually know about Schroeder and Gaunce? Please tell me.
How much do you actually know about Trocheck, Rau, and Shore? Please tell me.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:53 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
Bjugstad for Luongo never made any sense to begin with.
Luongo to Florida has never made any sense.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
This. We have Schroeder and Gaunce. Florida has no one after Bjugs
Lol, oh ok.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:06 PM
rockinghockey

Lu is not going to get the return that VAN wants and that is plain and simple.

Closed Thread