HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Prospects-Major Junior (CHL), NCAA, Europe

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 06:25 PM
OOEEL

vCash: 500
Thursday updates:

Henrik Samuelsson was kept off the score sheet as Prince Albert beat Edmonton 4-1.

Friday updates:

Marek Langhammer got yanked after giving up 3 goals in 8 shots in the first 5 minutes as Medicine Hat falls 6-1 to Vancouver.

James Melindy and the Moncton Wildcats fell 1-0 to Chicoutimi after a goal late in the 3rd period.

Justin Haché finished a +2 as Cape Breton came out a 4-3 winner over Rouyn-Noranda.

Lucas Lessio picked up two more assists as Oshawa picked up another win, 6-4 over Kingston.

Sarnia fell 4-3 to Owen Sound, Connor Murphy finished scoreless with a +1.

The Soo Greyhounds won 4-2 over Kitchener thought Andrew Fritsch was held without a point.

Saturday updates:

Henrik Samuelsson showed everyone that he is in fact Ulf's son, picking up 2 power play assists and 17 PIM in a 4-1 win over Saskatoon. Henrik picked up a minor for instigating, a major for fighting, and a game misconduct.

James Melindy finished +2 though scoreless as Moncton won 7-4 over Baie-Comeau.

Justin Haché was on the winning side Saturday as well, finishing even and without points as Cape Breton won 5-3 over Val-d'Or.

Andrew Fritsch and the Soo Greyhounds lost to Sarnia 6-3. Connor Murphy missed the game due to his grandfather's funeral, and Fritsch ended up with 2 assists in the loss.

Sunday updates:

Henrik picked up another power play assist as Michael St Croix scored with under a minute left to force overtime, though Edmonton fell 6-5 to Calgary in the extra frame.

Val-d'Or got revenge for the loss Saturday night with a 7-3 victory over Cape Breton. Justin Haché finished -2 in the loss.

Monday updates:

Lucas Lessio grabbed an assist as the Oshawa Generals picked up a 4-3 OT win over Belleville to remain undefeated at home.

Connor Murphy returned to action but stayed off the score sheet finishing even in a Sarnia 3-2 OT win over Windsor.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Thanks for the updates!

Old
10-09-2012, 06:02 PM
OOEEL

No problem!

Figured since there's a few days till the next games I'll post people's stats to date so you're not having to go through and try to add everything up.

Henrik Samuelsson
7GP 2G 5A -2 11PIM

Kale Kessy
2GP 2G 0A +1 17PIM (Currently serving 12 game suspension)

Marek Langhamer
2-2-1 .887 SV% 2.98 GAA

Justin Haché
9GP 0G 4A -3 4PIM

James Melindy
7GP 0G 1A -6 12PIM

Lucas Lessio
7GP 5 G 5A +3 12PIM

Connor Murphy
6GP 1G 1A -2 10PIM

Andrew Fritsch
7GP 2G 4A 0 0PIM

Old
10-09-2012, 07:33 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Thank you all for the updates and reviews of the prospect's performances. Very enjoyable.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:47 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
Lucas Lessio
7GP 5 G 5A +3 12PIM
Almost exactly on pace to continue the growth he has had in previous years. 40+ goals and 75+ points would be nice. I don't know what the correlation between 3rd year OHL performance and NHL performance is, but it's nice to see a prospect moving forward in a measurable way.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:38 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hank with a shorty against the Hat tonight.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:46 PM
OOEEL

Hot off the presses! An article from the Generals' site about our boy Lucas Lessio!

http://www.oshawagenerals.com/articl...-secret-weapon

I'll post the Wednesday tallies in a bit, as rt mentioned Henrik scored a shortie against Medicine Hat last night.

Also, a question I'd pose to you guys: While Connor Murphy finally seems to have gotten over the injury bug and looks to be an elite talent from the few reports we've seen from him, does anyone else wish we had taken Boone Jenner instead? Boone went 17 picks later so it might have seemed like a bit of a reach, but I remember being on twitter that day and all the reports I followed had circled in on Jenner and Rocco Grimaldi as possibilities with our first pick. Given the way Jenner has exploded this year and the fact that Lucas has chemistry with him playing both in Oshawa as well as on Team Canada, I'd have liked to see those two worked their way through our system together.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:45 PM
hbk

Quote:
Hot off the presses! An article from the Generals' site about our boy Lucas Lessio!

I'll post the Wednesday tallies in a bit, as rt mentioned Henrik scored a shortie against Medicine Hat last night.

Also, a question I'd pose to you guys: While Connor Murphy finally seems to have gotten over the injury bug and looks to be an elite talent from the few reports we've seen from him, does anyone else wish we had taken Boone Jenner instead? Boone went 17 picks later so it might have seemed like a bit of a reach, but I remember being on twitter that day and all the reports I followed had circled in on Jenner and Rocco Grimaldi as possibilities with our first pick. Given the way Jenner has exploded this year and the fact that Lucas has chemistry with him playing both in Oshawa as well as on Team Canada, I'd have liked to see those two worked their way through our system together.
I really like Jenner but I was and remain very high on Murphy. Much like Samuelsson Jenner's potential at the NHL level will be limited by his skating. Lessio for example may have higher potential because of his ability to play on the first and second line. Jenner projects as more of a 3rd liner. Murphy in my mind projects as a top 3 d man. Top 3 d men are harder to find than a bottom six forward.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:29 PM
lanky

Quote:
I was pissed that we passed on Puempel and Jensen. I would have been happy with Jenner or Phillips but I wanted nothing to do with Grimaldi. Now, however, I wouldn't be happy that my team spent a first on any of those forwards. I like Jenner a lot but I don't see an outstanding NHL career in his future.

Connor Murphy is showing his true potential now, despite the rediculous list of injuries he's dealt with. It was bold picking him at 20, but no one can question the pick at this point. Makes me wonder if Keith Gretzky should have been kept.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

No, we don't want Keith back. Look folks, as far as draft picks go, we've only had 2 guys that look to be super studs for us. Yandle and OEL and that is it.

And our only forward that is looking like he can score 50pts maybe is Bods. I wouldn't consider that a super draft resume. Especially since we've had so many of our 1's or 2nd's not pan out to be much.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:59 PM
OOEEL

Only Yandle and OEL? I think Gormley should be right there in that conversation.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:20 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
No, we don't want Keith back. Look folks, as far as draft picks go, we've only had 2 guys that look to be super studs for us. Yandle and OEL and that is it.

And our only forward that is looking like he can score 50pts maybe is Bods. I wouldn't consider that a super draft resume. Especially since we've had so many of our 1's or 2nd's not pan out to be much.
The resume is ok. Not stellar, but fine. The three ungratefull punks didn't work out here. Were they terrible draft picks? I don't think so. If you look at the players picked behind them, the quality is sparse. It would be amazing to have Giroux and voracek on our roster right now, but nobody has a crystal ball. I'd be pretty damn excited to have happy and motivated versions of Wheeler and Turris on our roster. Maybe the issue is with keeping the prospects happy and motivated.

Last edited by lanky: 10-11-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 09:25 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I was pissed that we passed on Puempel and Jensen. I would have been happy with Jenner or Phillips but I wanted nothing to do with Grimaldi. Now, however, I wouldn't be happy that my team spent a first on any of those forwards. I like Jenner a lot but I don't see an outstanding NHL career in his future.

Connor Murphy is showing his true potential now, despite the rediculous list of injuries he's dealt with. It was bold picking him at 20, but no one can question the pick at this point. Makes me wonder if Keith Gretzky should have been kept.
Keith Gretzky kept? Absolutely not.

Keith had no feel for the draft. He panicked on Tikhonov and it cost us a 2nd rounder. He wanted to select Visentin in the early 20's until Maloney stepped in and traded down to pick up an extra pick rather than jumping on a goalie who while a good project wasn't in danger of getting picked until the 2nd round

The job of a Director of Scouting is to have a feel where a guy is on other teams list. It's not just talent assessment. If you read the Art of Scouting book it is apparent that other teams knew our list almost too well. There's an art to sharing information but it read like everyone knew our list. We were going to take Ekman Larssen and everyone knew it. It was astute selection no question but Gretzky led the group that identified the potential asset. He wasn't the scout based in Europe (and who knew that Ruutu is no longer our head European scout?) who made the call.

Maloney knows this position well. I trust his judgement when it comes to the draft.

Old
10-11-2012, 11:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

I was screaming "BOOOOONE!" at the television set over and over again as the Coyotes went to make their pick. When they instead chose Murphy, I was livid. Just fuming.

When I saw Jenner at the WJCs, I LOVED his game. Kid plays like a lion. Amazing heart and soul approach.

Having said that, he's the worst skating hockey player I've ever seen on national television. He makes Paul Bissonnette look like Enver Lisin. I has a loooooooooong eay to go before he's even a fourth line winger at the NHL level.

Conversely, Murphy obvious has a ton of talent and a dynamic game that could potential make him an amazing package of tools. Fantastic skating for an ENORMOUS frame, with elite offensive potential and a ton of moxy. Will he ever stay healthy? Will he ever fill out? Has he missed way too much integral development time? He's a big project and will take a LOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Both are long shots, frankly. Both will take years to arrive. Murphy isn't any more or less likely to be an effective NHL player but is MUCH more likely to be a high end NHL player than Jenner is. At least in my opinion, which is worth very little.

As much crow as it requires me to eat, I'm not sure I'd trade Murphy for Jenner.

Old
10-11-2012, 11:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I really like Jenner but I was and remain very high on Murphy. Much like Samuelsson Jenner's potential at the NHL level will be limited by his skating. Lessio for example may have higher potential because of his ability to play on the first and second line. Jenner projects as more of a 3rd liner. Murphy in my mind projects as a top 3 d man. Top 3 d men are harder to find than a bottom six forward.
I would not compare Samuelsson to Jenner in terms of skating. Samuelsson is not a quick skater, but i dont think he is a poor skater. He at least knows how to skate. The movement is technically correct, just not particularly swift. He's still effective enough.

Jenner looks like a duck with clipped wings, running across an arizona asphalt runway in July, not sure whether he's got to lay an egg or take a ****. It's ugly. Like a hyperactive duck waddle in which all the wrong parts are moving a million miles an hour while his clumsy feet just kind of scrape behind him as if he had two broken ankles but was so high on bath salts he didn't realize either the agony or the immobility.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I'm hoping Samuelsson can mold into a Wayne Simmonds kind of player. Big nasty kid who excels in the corners but has those soft goal scoring hands in front. His skating wasn't the prettiest when I watched the two at the same age. I don't think at any point in his career where going to be blown away by his top end speed or the fluidity in his skating which is fine. He doesn't need that to be effective.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:09 PM
hbk

Samuelson on tv tonight. Sports net in Canada televising Oil Kings vs Hitmen tonight.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Kaizen

Kale Kessy traded to Vancouver Giants.

Edit: and apparently has been told he will be returning to junior.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2012/10/...r-one.html?m=1

Last edited by Kaizen: 10-13-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old
10-13-2012, 10:36 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I would not compare Samuelsson to Jenner in terms of skating. Samuelsson is not a quick skater, but i dont think he is a poor skater. He at least knows how to skate. The movement is technically correct, just not particularly swift. He's still effective enough.

Jenner looks like a duck with clipped wings, running across an arizona asphalt runway in July, not sure whether he's got to lay an egg or take a ****. It's ugly. Like a hyperactive duck waddle in which all the wrong parts are moving a million miles an hour while his clumsy feet just kind of scrape behind him as if he had two broken ankles but was so high on bath salts he didn't realize either the agony or the immobility.
I'm not sold that he can be a full time top 6 forward and for me it comes down to skating. He has work to do. I would consider it average at best. I think that might even be a bit generous to be honest.

Old
10-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Samuelson on tv tonight. Sports net in Canada televising Oil Kings vs Hitmen tonight.
The game wasn't on was it? All I could find was baseball.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:48 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
The game wasn't on was it? All I could find was baseball.
It was on SportsNet1 I believe. I watched it. They are televising games on Friday night. Next week it's Erie vs. London. For draft geeks its a good chance to scout Max Domi.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
It was on SportsNet1 I believe. I watched it. They are televising games on Friday night. Next week it's Erie vs. London. For draft geeks its a good chance to scout Max Domi.
First, you failed to provide your report.

Also, I'd really like to know how Domi looks. I really liked what I saw from him in the Memorial Cup. Little pit bull with a ton of skill. My problem was that he plays way too big for his size and it was not at all effective. He just bounces of of people and spends a ton of time with his butt on the ice. I've read that he gained a ton of muscle in the off season. Please let me know if his physically assertive game has actually become effective, as a result.

I'd also love a scoyting report on Horvat. I have not seen what others seem to see. He looks like a straight up Mike Sullivan type, but others say more like Mike Fisher. I'd be curious to hear your opinion.

You are a MUCH better scout than I am.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:56 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
First, you failed to provide your report.

Also, I'd really like to know how Domi looks. I really liked what I saw from him in the Memorial Cup. Little pit bull with a ton of skill. My problem was that he plays way too big for his size and it was not at all effective. He just bounces of of people and spends a ton of time with his butt on the ice. I've read that he gained a ton of muscle in the off season. Please let me know if his physically assertive game has actually become effective, as a result.

I'd also love a scoyting report on Horvat. I have not seen what others seem to see. He looks like a straight up Mike Sullivan type, but others say more like Mike Fisher. I'd be curious to hear your opinion.

You are a MUCH better scout than I am.
2 goals and an assist. Both goals were him cleaning up the garbage. The assist was a cross ice pass to the D man for a one timer on the PP.

Samuellson has skill. He's a big power forward who will be a difficult player to play against (similar to how Hanzel is viewed by the rest of the league). He's playing both wing and center.

I've highlighted my skating concerns and I get aggravated when he sits on the bench for prolonged periods due to the strength of the rest of Oil Kings squad. He's putting up points but overall the Oil Kings are playing below expectations. Samuellson has another gear and I'm looking forward to seeing it. He's a PPG player though so he is taking a big stride forward this year. I highlight the skating because I want him to be more than the next Taylor Pyatt.

In terms of Edmonton's roster. Lazar is very very good. He has to be a top 10 pick. He's easily the Oil Kings best player. Easily. He's the type of player this franchise needs. He's a potential 1st line center at the NHL level.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:15 PM
PHX FireBirds18

You can see the highlights of the game on their website. http://www.oilkings.ca/

Old
10-13-2012, 04:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
2 goals and an assist. Both goals were him cleaning up the garbage. The assist was a cross ice pass to the D man for a one timer on the PP.

Samuellson has skill. He's a big power forward who will be a difficult player to play against (similar to how Hanzel is viewed by the rest of the league). He's playing both wing and center.

I've highlighted my skating concerns and I get aggravated when he sits on the bench for prolonged periods due to the strength of the rest of Oil Kings squad. He's putting up points but overall the Oil Kings are playing below expectations. Samuellson has another gear and I'm looking forward to seeing it. He's a PPG player though so he is taking a big stride forward this year. I highlight the skating because I want him to be more than the next Taylor Pyatt.

In terms of Edmonton's roster. Lazar is very very good. He has to be a top 10 pick. He's easily the Oil Kings best player. Easily. He's the type of player this franchise needs. He's a potential 1st line center at the NHL level.
Thanks!

This is draft is the strongest for forwards I can recall. Right up there with '03.

You've got MacKinnon who is the quintessential first overall forward. With that Stamkos swagger. However, he's currently being outshined by teammate Jonathan Drouin, which is pretty incredible and says more about Drouin than MacKinnon.

Then you've got Mr. Everything Sean Monahan, who Brock Otten called the most complete draft eligible OHL forward he's ever seen. Brock is my favorite scout.

What Sasha Barkov is doing in Finland is amazing. He's the best player on his team. That is a tough league, and he's dominating.

Speaking of tough leagues, Elias Lindholm has 10pts in 10gp in the SEL. To put that into perspective there have only been five seventeen year old players who scored .5ppg in the SEL since 1975. Amazing.

Then you've got Hunter Shinkaruk who has put up unbelievably jaw dropping numbers and is already his team's captain.

You've already mentioned Curtis Lazar who has had rave reviews and we've talked about Domi who has big time upside. Plus, Kerby Rychel who does nothing but kick ass and score goals. Very pro style player. Like a rich man's Henrik Samuelsson.

It really is an amazing draft for forwards.

Closed Thread