HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 153: Silva vs Bonnar

Old
10-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Captain_Cunney

vCash: 500
I dont think it changes the rankings. It's a short notice fight for the fans against a bigger opponent.

His main P4P competition had his armed almost ripped off by a smaller gut not too long ago.

Rankings are for the media anyways, all that matters is the guy at the top with the strap.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Going with some upsets picking some of the Americans here but oh well. I know it might not mean much, but I thought Big Nog, and even Anderson to an extent, looked terrible at the weigh-ins. I also think Fitch will be able to stifle Erick Silva for three rounds and avoid the submission attempts.
Big Nog always looks fat and out of shape. I think he was a couple pounds heavier today than he was for the Mir fight but it wasn't by much. I still think he'll beat Herman.

I didn't think Anderson looked terrible at all. He usually cuts a ton of weight and looks more cut up at the weigh-ins because of it. Today he weighed in 20 lbs heavier than usual and this is how he usually looks on fight night. He didn't have to cut much weight for this fight and I think that will actually help him.

Bonnar said it was a hard weight cut for him so this might even be a tougher fight than I originally thought. He is too slow for Anderson and he really isn't that great of a wrestler. All he has is size. I'm hearing the same things people were saying before the Forrest fight. Anderson is fighting a big LHW who isn't afraid to fight and that size and solid ground game will make it tough for Anderson. Bonnar has a better chin and can take a shot so it won't end as quickly but I think Anderson will make it look very easy once again.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Big Nog always looks fat and out of shape. I think he was a couple pounds heavier today than he was for the Mir fight but it wasn't by much. I still think he'll beat Herman.
To me he just looked doughier than usual. Like I said, doesn't really mean much either way.

Here's Big Nog at 134:

And today:

Definitely looks like he's carrying around a bit of a spare tire.

Quote:
I didn't think Anderson looked terrible at all. He usually cuts a ton of weight and looks more cut up at the weigh-ins because of it. Today he weighed in 20 lbs heavier than usual and this is how he usually looks on fight night. He didn't have to cut much weight for this fight and I think that will actually help him.
He looked tired and was sweating profusely when Joe Rogan interviewed him after the weigh-in. I don't recall him looking like that for most of his cuts to 185 but I guess I never really paid much attention before.

Quote:
Bonnar has a better chin and can take a shot so it won't end as quickly but I think Anderson will make it look very easy once again.
Yea I think ultimately Anderson's speed and striking will make easy work of Bonnar over three rounds although I don't see him finishing Bonnar.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 10-12-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:32 PM
m9

I don't see how the size thing is even an issue. Bonnar isn't any bigger than Forrest, and Silva made him look silly. Forrest is also a better fighter than Bonnar.

Bonnar also has good BJJ, but isn't great at actually finishing fights with it.

This is a guy that lost to Mark Coleman and looked dreadful doing it.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 10:49 PM
northstarsforever

Main Card:
Light Heavyweight Bout: Anderson Silva vs Stephan Bonnar
Heavyweight Bout: Antonio Minotauro Nogueria vs Dave Herman
Light Heavyweight Bout: Glover Teixeira vs Fabio Moldonado
Welterweight Bout: Erick Silva vs Jon Fitch
Light Heavyweight Bout: Wagner Prado vs Phil Davis
Welterweight Bout: Demian Maia vs Rick Story

Preliminary Card:
Featherweight Bout: Rony Mariano Berezza vs Sam Sicilia
Lightweight Bout: Gleison Tibau vs Francisco Trinaldo
Featherweight Bout: Diego Brandao vs Joey Gambino
Welterweight Bout: Sergio Moraes vs Renee Forte
Middleweight Bout: Luiz Cane vs Chris Camozzi
Lightweight Bout: Cristiano Marcello vs Reza Madadi

northstarsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:18 PM
BGDDYKWL

If memory serves Prado was over +500 the first time around, and that went all the way down to around +300 this time. I know nothing of consequence really happened in the first one, but I did not like what I saw. I have a feeling Prado TKO's Davis.

Wasn't a fan of Maldonado from what I saw at the weigh-ins. I know he has an impressive boxing record, but I hope Glover smokes him. He's pudgy as hell for 205. My guess is he drops to 185 after this to keep his job.

I see a lot of people talk about how much weight Anderson has to cut to make 205. If he weighed in at 202, the answer is zero. No one who is cutting weight ends up 3 pounds off. Looked a little pudgier than I remember him at the Forrest fight, but it ain't gonna matter.

Bonnar is going to get destroyed. I like the guy, but he has absolutely no chance here. He's like a 7 to 1 shot in terms of betting. That is absurd. He doesn't win this fight one out of seven times. More like one in a hundred. There's this idea of him being a tough brawler, great chin, never been knocked out, etc. Umm, Chris Leben anyone? What'd that last like a minute? The only chance he has is to put Anderson on his back, and open up a bad cut with an elbow. From the interviews I've heard, it sounds like he's gonna fight like he always does, and "give him hell". That is a recipe for disaster.

Also, while Bonnar looked jacked, he seemed to be really struggling at the weigh-in. My guess is he's on TRT now, and we saw what happened with that in the second Chael fight. The weight cut is too much, and the cardio suffers. In the first fight Chael had cardio for days (yes I know he was on TRT for that one too, but he didn't have the same muscle mass.). In the second fight he was a little more jacked, likely a tougher weight cut, and he was gassed after the first round. That's the last thing Bonnar needs. This one isn't gonna be pretty.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I don't see how the size thing is even an issue. Bonnar isn't any bigger than Forrest, and Silva made him look silly. Forrest is also a better fighter than Bonnar.
Depends how the fight is fought really. If Bonnar tries to stand a trade with Silva, ala Griffin, then obviously the size isn't going to mean anything. But if Bonnar can get Silva up against the cage or in a clinch, then sure, size is definitely going to help him. Of course the hard part for Bonnar is getting it to that point.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post

Bonnar also has good BJJ, but isn't great at actually finishing fights with it.

This is a guy that lost to Mark Coleman and looked dreadful doing it.

That argument falls into the mma math equation that we all know doesn't work. This is also the guy who gave Bones one of his toughest fights to date, see what I did there....

While Forrest is a better fighter than Bonnar, he's a totally different fighter. The biggest difference is that Bonnar has a better beard which is a big aspect of this matchup & he actually uses his ground game in an offensive manner.

Forrest has this excellent ground game that he never uses, he did put away Shogun when he was gassed...

And Forrest fought a stupid fight, the same Forrest who hasn't looked good since. He was beat befor he stepped in the octagon that night.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:35 AM
OfWolfAndMan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 506
Main Card:

Would love to see Bonnar pull off the upset.... but he won't. Silva will allow him to live for one round, but will put him away in the 2nd with a TKO.

To be honest, I see this one not being a runaway. I love Big Nog, but he's a shell of his former self. I think he'll pull it off, but it wouldn't shock me if Herman pulls of a knockout.

I think Teixiera pulls this one off. Maldonado has slick boxing, but he hasn't exactly dominated other competition. I think this wil be a tough fight on each side, but I see Teixiera taking this one via 3rd round TKO.

I think Silva has all kinds of potential - Fitch will try to grind this one out as he typically does, because he can't win this fight any other way. In my view, Silva is a better fighter in all areas BUT wrestling. I see Silva using his standup to wear down Fitch, and eventually score the UD.

Prado is a beast in his own right, but I see Davis as a potential champion one day if he keeps evolving. I'm going to call Davis by UD.

I'm not a Rick Story fan at all - he had a good showing against Thiago Alves, and he's riding that for all it's worth despite being handled by a below-average journeyman like Charlie Brenneman. Story may clinch it up more, but that will play into BJJ-style takedowns from Maia, leading to an eventual 3rd round submission.

OfWolfAndMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:16 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
That argument falls into the mma math equation that we all know doesn't work. This is also the guy who gave Bones one of his toughest fights to date, see what I did there....

While Forrest is a better fighter than Bonnar, he's a totally different fighter. The biggest difference is that Bonnar has a better beard which is a big aspect of this matchup & he actually uses his ground game in an offensive manner.

Forrest has this excellent ground game that he never uses, he did put away Shogun when he was gassed...

And Forrest fought a stupid fight, the same Forrest who hasn't looked good since. He was beat befor he stepped in the octagon that night.
Its not MMAmath, its a snapshot of where guys are at in their career. Bonnar gave Jones a test when Jones was7 or 8 fights into his career, its not like that was a recent fight. Bonnar lost to Coleman when Coleman was old and could barely move.

Forrest hasn't been the same since the Silva fight? He's 3-1 with his only loss being to Shogun. True 2 of those wins were over Tito and were close, but he had previously lost to him so its hard to say he hasn't looked good since then. He also beat Franklin which is a task I think Bonnar would have a ton of trouble with.

And Bonnar's BJJ game has been ridiculously over-rated by people. The guy has subbed like 1 guy in his last 10 fights, including many fights against lower-tier UFC LHW's. This isn't Demian Maia we are talking about here.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
Main Card:

Preliminary Card:

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Main Card:

Preliminary Card:

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Main Card:

Preliminary Card:

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

What would you rather see at UFC 153?

Insane finish by Anderson Silva or Historic upset by Stephan Bonnar

Old
10-13-2012, 02:47 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post

Historic Upset.

I don't think it will happen, but I'd love to see it.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Prediction: Dana White is going to have to do quite a tapdance explaining to his customers why this card was worth the money they paid.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Prediction: Dana White is going to have to do quite a tapdance explaining to his customers why this card was worth the money they paid.
The card looks pretty good to me. The main event may be a mismatch but most of Silva's fights are, what can you do. It should be entertaining even if it's very predictable.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

ya. I think Bonnar has a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice tonight than beating Silva. And Big Nog is too old to be doing this anymore.

The last few events have been kinda meh, so I don't expect much from this one.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:29 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post

Much rather see the upset, but don't think it's happening.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 04:47 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
This card looks better to me than some other cards as of late.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:06 PM
m9

Quote:
ya. I think Bonnar has a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice tonight than beating Silva. And Big Nog is too old to be doing this anymore.

The last few events have been kinda meh, so I don't expect much from this one.
Big Nog isn't that old, at least in actual age, despite him looking like he's 50 and having taken five lifetimes worth of beatings.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:14 PM
darko

Main Card:

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

Wow this facebook fight is awesome.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

I will say the prelims were okay on the last card. I often find the free fights are entertaining to watch. Probably because the fighters want to make a bigger impression on the fans and DW.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Dgill

Anyone got a stream? Please and thanks.

Dgill is online now   Reply With Quote