HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Most Ironic Trades Ever

Old
10-11-2012, 11:32 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Craig MacTavish being traded for Todd Marchant then Mactavish becoming his coach.

10-11-2012, 11:34 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
The Hurricanes acquiring Aaron Ward the season following the Walker incident in the playoffs.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:04 PM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
Flyers trade Carter and Richards because they aren't good enough to win a Cup, LA acquires both and wins a Cup with them the next year.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:17 PM
BobRouse

Caps trade for Jagr after many years (including the one immediately prior to that offseason) where he was a key factor in eliminating them from the playoffs.

They got him to be a contender and Pitt was looking to rebuild.

The trade ends up crushing two franchises to the point where they end up getting high draft picks.

If Jagr doesn't get traded to the Caps they would continue to chug along as usual and be a good grinding team that avoids lottery picks but never good enough to win a cup.

The trade helps Pitt suck enough to get Crosby and the Caps to firesale to the point where they get Ovechkin.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 04:41 AM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
I got a few for the flames........ not a flames fan but together i think they work under the circumstances

Jordan Leo- trade to Col- then trade for him to get him back to Calgary- (possibly losing both trades

Mike Cammalleri- free agency because they didnt want to pay him so much then trading for him on the contract they wouldnt pay in the first place
This thread should just be renamed 'See Calgary Flames Transaction History: 1997-2012'

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 04:56 AM
sem1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
I got a few for the flames........ not a flames fan but together i think they work under the circumstances

Jordan Leo- trade to Col- then trade for him to get him back to Calgary- (possibly losing both trades

Mike Cammalleri- free agency because they didnt want to pay him so much then trading for him on the contract they wouldnt pay in the first place

I agree with your stance on the cammalleri deal. To be fair though different gms with obvious different opinions on the guy. I think most flames fans would agree with the latter. Shouldn't have shipped him out in the first place

Not sure if its totally ironic, but as has been said, the erixon situation is awesome. Demands to leave calgary to play for daddy's old team and then gets shipped out to the worst team in the league. Priceless

sem1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Shareefruck

Wouldn't ironic be like.... it seems like one team is completely cleaning the floor with the other team and wins the deal, but then some throw in that was traded back ends up being amazing and everyone else has horrible years or something?

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 10:30 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

The Kris Draper $1 trade isn't ironic because of the trade, but rather because Draper was part of the Red Wings that eliminated the Jets from the playoffs during their last season in the NHL.

He wasn't instrumental - no GWG's - but he did score a goal in the 1st and 2nd games.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Let's examine a fellow named Olli Jokinen for a second. Firstly, Calgary traded Mathew Lombardi, Brandon Prust and a 1st (Brandon Gormley) for a 3rd and Olli. Prust was later traded back for Jim Vandemeer. Then they traded him, along with Prust again, to the Rangers for Chris Higgins and Ales Jotalik. Then after that season, they signed him... AGAIN. Then Cammalleri wanted to sign, but because of Olli they didn't have the cap room (I believe this was the explanation given at the time anyway. Could be remembering wrong). Then he left this offseason again, but it's only a matter of time before he comes back

And while we're on the topic of Cammalleri, all of a sudden BAM. They trade Holland, their 2nd NEXT year, cause they already traded this years one, Rene Borque for a minor league goalie, a 5th and Cammalleri on the same contract they didn't want to sign him to in the firts place.

Another kind of amusing one (though I'll have to go fact check, or get him to resend me the facts) was my buddy found out, that through a long, weird series of events, the Cam Neely trade wound up costing Vancouver Milan Lucic.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 01:29 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Let's examine a fellow named Olli Jokinen for a second. Firstly, Calgary traded Mathew Lombardi, Brandon Prust and a 1st (Brandon Gormley) for a 3rd and Olli. Prust was later traded back for Jim Vandemeer. Then they traded him, along with Prust again, to the Rangers for Chris Higgins and Ales Jotalik. Then after that season, they signed him... AGAIN. Then Cammalleri wanted to sign, but because of Olli they didn't have the cap room (I believe this was the explanation given at the time anyway. Could be remembering wrong). Then he left this offseason again, but it's only a matter of time before he comes back

And while we're on the topic of Cammalleri, all of a sudden BAM. They trade Holland, their 2nd NEXT year, cause they already traded this years one, Rene Borque for a minor league goalie, a 5th and Cammalleri on the same contract they didn't want to sign him to in the firts place.

Another kind of amusing one (though I'll have to go fact check, or get him to resend me the facts) was my buddy found out, that through a long, weird series of events, the Cam Neely trade wound up costing Vancouver Milan Lucic.
A quick google search got me the answer:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...5-years-later/

Vancouver received: Barry Pederson

Boston received: Cam Neely and the Canucks’ first round pick in 1995 (Glen Wesley)

Boston trades Wesley to the Hartford Whalers in 1994 for three first round picks: 1995 (Kyle McLaren), 1996 (Johnathan Aitken) and 1997 (Sergei Samsonov).

They then traded McLaren with their 2004 fourth rounder (Torrey Mitchell) to the San Jose Sharks in 2003 for Jeff Hackett and Jeff Jillson.

Samsonov qualified as Joe Thornton‘s first great running mate/beneficiary, but they eventually traded him to the Edmonton Oilers for Marty Reasoner, Yan Stastny and the Oilers’ second round pick in ’06, which ended up being … Milan Lucic. (Yup, that’s right, the Bruins found their closest heir to Neely thanks to the Neely trade. Yikes.)

The Bruins turned Jeff Jillson into Brad Boyes (from San Jose in ’04) and then Boyes to Dennis Wideman (from the St. Louis Blues in ’07) .

Wideman was eventually traded with Boston’s 2010 first round pick (Derek Fortbort) to the Florida Panthers for Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell before the ’10 draft.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
^ And stupid Nonis made sure we had no second round pick in 2006. Because we would have had the option of drafting him in the second round, 4 picks before he was taken by Boston. And he was a big Canucks fan at that point.

Then again, knowing our drafting history there was no chance we would have taken him anyways. Even if we had our pick + Boston's pick (Edmonton's pick).

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
This one has probably been mentioned already, but it was somewhat ironic that Toronto has been after a #1 center and a #1 Dman for years now, and to try to aquire the star talent they wanted, they traded for a star winger in Kessel. Only the picks they gave up turn out to be a #1 center AND a #1Dman (currently #3 ranked prospect by HF and #1 ranked dman).

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Martyros

to me, ironic is when Phili traded Carter and Richards because *apparently* they didn't think the team would win with them...then not even 12 months later, both Carter and Richards raised the cup over their heads.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 03:15 AM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I don't know if their ironic, but is baseball you'll see guys 'traded for themselves"

I remember the one year the Bluejays traded John MacDonald to the Tigers for Future Considerations, and those futures ended up being MacDonald going back.
Thats ****ing awesome haha

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 04:43 AM
Imlach a cup

I think it's ironic that the a guy named Morris Titanic played ice hockey, but his career really sank... Badump tch

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 04:50 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

burke working for years to try and get brayden schenn, only to send luke to philly to re-unite the brothers

anaheim trading andy mac, then a few weeks later selanne announces his return, and anaheim ever since has been looking for another andy mac to put w/him

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 04:54 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

the reason i bring up that trade is burke cost us two more chances at a cup with a single stupid trade, especially in 2009, andy mac would have made a big difference, it was a short sided move due to andy's slow start, after that trade almost everything burke did sucked

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:40 AM
ColeJ

since most of these are trades that aren't by definition ironic, i'll list some things that are sort of ironic, but not trades.

brett hull and dominik hasek winning a cup together on detroit.
derian hatcher and jeremy roenick being inducted into the USA HHOF on the same day.
jason arnott and jamie langenbrunner both acquired by the blues by doug armstrong, who traded them for each other when he was in dallas. (and being coached by their former dallas coach as well)

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 06:49 AM

The English language is whimpering in a corner. Not a single one of these trades has been ironic. I seriously doubt people know what that word means.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
The English language is whimpering in a corner. Not a single one of these trades has been ironic. I seriously doubt people know what that word means.
You're telling me Carter and Richards trades weren't ironic, considering the fact they won the cup?

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 01:51 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Draper traded to Detroit for a buck then part of the team that eliminates the jets from the playoffs and sends them to the desert isn't ironic?

I can't think of any other word to describe it.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
You're telling me Carter and Richards trades weren't ironic, considering the fact they won the cup?
Depends. If you think they were traded because we thought they'd never win a cup and then they did then maybe. Definitely the closest though.

Truth be told, i'd missed that one

Old
10-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Draper traded to Detroit for a buck then part of the team that eliminates the jets from the playoffs and sends them to the desert isn't ironic?

I can't think of any other word to describe it.
No. That's just a bad trade. There's nothing ironic about it.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:49 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Depends. If you think they were traded because we thought they'd never win a cup and then they did then maybe. Definitely the closest though.

Truth be told, i'd missed that one
Well you have to assume a contender that trades 2 of their best players believes they aren't going to win with those players... so yeah it's pretty ironic

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 04:47 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Well you have to assume a contender that trades 2 of their best players believes they aren't going to win with those players... so yeah it's pretty ironic
Depends, did they really say Richards and Carter aren't capable of winning the Cup? From Philly's perspective, I always saw the trade as Richards and Carter being exceptional players who could lead teams to Cups, just not that team. The locker room problems were too big to ignore. They could be contenders with them and still have some locker room tension, or they could be contenders without them and without locker room tension. It doesn't make sense for a GM to think two players can't win a Cup when they were 2 games away from doing so just a season prior.
Using the second reasoning, that isn't exactly irony either.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote