HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports III

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Capsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Sitting arguably the most dominant power pitcher in the game during a postseason run when he's healthy is the exact opposite of a non-issue. There were a multitude of ways the Strasburg situation could've been handled so that he'd have pitched at least one game this series. And anyone who says this series would've played out exactly the same way if Stras had pitched is off their ****ing rocker.
Edwin Jackson doesn't pitch game 3 if Stras pitches. Enough said.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:42 PM
jagrgodr

i listened to the entire game on 106.7 and the play by play guys were making it seem like the nats could not get a strike the last half of the game. I wasn't watching the game, was it that bad?

Old
10-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Duke33

Nationals were 19-1 with Gonzalez pitching and he gets at least 3 runs. You figure an early 6-0 lead would have been safe. But Johnson managed this one horribly. Left Gonzalez in too long, brought in Jackson who the Cards have pounded all year, didn't pinch hit for the useless Espinosa...and overused Clippard and Storen.

Monstrous choke.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

I'm not even a Nats fan... my team is still in the playoffs... and I still feel ******.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sitting arguably the most dominant power pitcher in the game during a postseason run when he's healthy is the exact opposite of a non-issue. There were a multitude of ways the Strasburg situation could've been handled so that he'd have pitched at least one game this series. And anyone who says this series would've played out exactly the same way if Stras had pitched is off their ****ing rocker.
His replacement was excellent....don't make excuses. Stras doesn't make those plays at shortstop, or save those runs in the 9th.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:59 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Most dominant power pitcher in the game? The kid is good, but he isn't that good, yet.

And its clear you didn't watch his starts towards the end of his season. Not that dominant. It was the kids first full season in the majors, coming off TJ surgery at that, sitting him was the right decision.

And spare me "If you sat him in the middle of the season to save him..." crap. You don't break in a young pitcher into his first full season in the majors by sitting him half way threw it,, and then start him back up. Ah nevermind. Pointless to argue.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Riot

His replacement? What? They ran a 5 man rotation of Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, Jackson and Detwiler, shortened to a 4 man rotation sans Stras for the playoffs, so what are you even talking about?

If Strasburg throws game 1 or 2 the entire complexion of this series would've changed.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Edwin Jackson doesn't pitch game 3 if Stras pitches. Enough said.
And?

Gio and the Nats were lucky to win Game 1, Jordan Z got shelled in game 2, Jackson was Jackson in game 3, Detweiler was lights out in game 4, and the entire team choked in game 5. Strasburg in the lineup was no garuntee of advancement.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
His replacement was excellent....don't make excuses. Stras doesn't make those plays at shortstop, or save those runs in the 9th.
Which replacement are you talking about? Edwin Jackson started a game; he doesn't start a game if Stras plays. Of course he makes a difference, anyone not a Cards fan can see that. FTR I'm of the belief that the Nats made the right decision with Stras.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Capitlols

Blaming the ump seriously? He had a tight, but fair strike zone the entire game. Better question is why were the Nats pitchers nibbling even when they had a 6 run lead.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:05 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
His replacement? What? They ran a 5 man rotation of Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, Jackson and Detwiler, shortened to a 4 man rotation sans Stras for the playoffs, so what are you even talking about?

If Strasburg throws game 1 or 2 the entire complexion of this series would've changed.
Well if Strasburg pitches in the playoffs then Detweiler comes out of the pen.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
And?

Gio and the Nats were lucky to win Game 1, Jordan Z got shelled in game 2, Jackson was Jackson in game 3, Detweiler was lights out in game 4, and the entire team choked in game 5. Strasburg in the lineup was no garuntee of advancement.
I don't understand YOUR point. Yes Jackson is Jackson and is not Strasburg. Our chance to win game 3 is greater with Stras pitching. It doesn't guarantee anything, no. But statistically speaking the chances are greater.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Duke33

Quote:

Strasburg got shelled bad in two of his last three starts and had a very pedestrian 3.80-something ERA after the all-star break. He was hardly the superhuman all-star people make him out to be, or the guaranteed lock down pitcher.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Riot

Quote:
It was the kids first full season in the majors, coming off TJ surgery at that, sitting him was the right decision.
Was it? How can anyone possibly know that? Strasburg could go on to pitch for the next 15 years or he could walk out on opening day next year and blow out his elbow on the first pitch. He could blow it out 2 years down the road. Regardless of what happens, there will never be any way of proving that shutting him down in the midst of a playoff run was the right call. The only thing it does is beg the question of what could've been had he pitched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Blaming the ump seriously? He had a tight, but fair strike zone the entire game. Better question is why were the Nats pitchers nibbling even when they had a 6 run lead.
This. Too much ************ around the plate from Gonzalez and Storen both.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Well if Strasburg pitches in the playoffs then Detweiler comes out of the pen.
You don't think we could have used Detwiler as a long reliever tonight?

Old
10-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Strasburg got shelled bad in two of his last three starts and had a very pedestrian 3.80-something ERA after the all-star break. He was hardly the superhuman all-star people make him out to be, or the guaranteed lock down pitcher.
Rizzo made sure of that with the carnival. I agree with shutting him down but could have been done differently.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:13 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
I don't understand YOUR point. Yes Jackson is Jackson and is not Strasburg. Our chance to win game 3 is greater with Stras pitching. It doesn't guarantee anything, no. But statistically speaking the chances are greater.
My point is the way the 5 games played out Strasburg pitching wouldn't have been a sure win, especially with the run support provided to JZ and Jackson in Games 2 and 3. Yes they got shelled, but if they both give up 2 or 3 runs in each game the Nats still lose.

And if Strasburg pitches Detweiler is coming out of the Pen. So that would negate his great performance in game 4. Jackson would be in that spot, and we all know how that would of ended.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:17 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
You don't think we could have used Detwiler as a long reliever tonight?
Would he have been available for long relief tonight? Me thinks he would of been used in long relief in Game 4 after Jackson got taken out early.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:24 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Was it? How can anyone possibly know that? Strasburg could go on to pitch for the next 15 years or he could walk out on opening day next year and blow out his elbow on the first pitch. He could blow it out 2 years down the road. Regardless of what happens, there will never be any way of proving that shutting him down in the midst of a playoff run was the right call. The only thing it does is beg the question of what could've been had he pitched.
The Nats used the same system of recovery from TJ surgery on Jordan Zimmerman, and it seemed to work great this year.

And yes, what could of been if he pitched. What could of been if the Nats hit the damn ball in games 2 and 3. What could of been if Gio pitches lights out with a 6-0 lead tonight. What could of been if the ace closer Drew Storen holds a 2 run lead in the top of the 9th.

Old
10-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Again, lack of success in postseason, in this here city, is baffling

I just wish I hadn't assumed the game was over, and gone to bed. Missed a pretty good comeback.

Old
10-13-2012, 05:09 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Should have never let Teddy win.

Old
10-13-2012, 05:14 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

It's amazing that the Nats finished with the best record in baseball and still managed to blow this game.

I strongly regret going to sleep assuming it was over. The way they started off the game, leading 3-0 off the bat, and then piling on later to make it 6-0...and I was just so tired for some reason, so I just said, "Forget it. They got this, I'm going to sleep"

Old
10-13-2012, 06:39 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

It's your fault.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:40 AM
txpd

i am conditioned now to deal with this. i on the other hand dont have to put up with it. thank god for the lockout

Old
10-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Should have never let Teddy win.
Agreed. Don't **** with tradition when you're in first.

Closed Thread