HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2012, 11:42 PM
  #476
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Sitting arguably the most dominant power pitcher in the game during a postseason run when he's healthy is the exact opposite of a non-issue. There were a multitude of ways the Strasburg situation could've been handled so that he'd have pitched at least one game this series. And anyone who says this series would've played out exactly the same way if Stras had pitched is off their ****ing rocker.
Edwin Jackson doesn't pitch game 3 if Stras pitches. Enough said.

Capsman is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 11:42 PM
  #477
jagrgodr
Registered User
 
jagrgodr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,453
vCash: 500
i listened to the entire game on 106.7 and the play by play guys were making it seem like the nats could not get a strike the last half of the game. I wasn't watching the game, was it that bad?

jagrgodr is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 11:44 PM
  #478
Duke33
Registered User
 
Duke33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,936
vCash: 500
Nationals were 19-1 with Gonzalez pitching and he gets at least 3 runs. You figure an early 6-0 lead would have been safe. But Johnson managed this one horribly. Left Gonzalez in too long, brought in Jackson who the Cards have pounded all year, didn't pinch hit for the useless Espinosa...and overused Clippard and Storen.

Monstrous choke.

Duke33 is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 11:51 PM
  #479
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,638
vCash: 500
I'm not even a Nats fan... my team is still in the playoffs... and I still feel ******.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 11:54 PM
  #480
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Sitting arguably the most dominant power pitcher in the game during a postseason run when he's healthy is the exact opposite of a non-issue. There were a multitude of ways the Strasburg situation could've been handled so that he'd have pitched at least one game this series. And anyone who says this series would've played out exactly the same way if Stras had pitched is off their ****ing rocker.
His replacement was excellent....don't make excuses. Stras doesn't make those plays at shortstop, or save those runs in the 9th.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 11:59 PM
  #481
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Sitting arguably the most dominant power pitcher in the game during a postseason run when he's healthy is the exact opposite of a non-issue. There were a multitude of ways the Strasburg situation could've been handled so that he'd have pitched at least one game this series. And anyone who says this series would've played out exactly the same way if Stras had pitched is off their ****ing rocker.
Most dominant power pitcher in the game? The kid is good, but he isn't that good, yet.

And its clear you didn't watch his starts towards the end of his season. Not that dominant. It was the kids first full season in the majors, coming off TJ surgery at that, sitting him was the right decision.

And spare me "If you sat him in the middle of the season to save him..." crap. You don't break in a young pitcher into his first full season in the majors by sitting him half way threw it,, and then start him back up. Ah nevermind. Pointless to argue.

WetHog is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:01 AM
  #482
Riot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
His replacement? What? They ran a 5 man rotation of Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, Jackson and Detwiler, shortened to a 4 man rotation sans Stras for the playoffs, so what are you even talking about?

If Strasburg throws game 1 or 2 the entire complexion of this series would've changed.

Riot is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
  #483
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Edwin Jackson doesn't pitch game 3 if Stras pitches. Enough said.
And?

Gio and the Nats were lucky to win Game 1, Jordan Z got shelled in game 2, Jackson was Jackson in game 3, Detweiler was lights out in game 4, and the entire team choked in game 5. Strasburg in the lineup was no garuntee of advancement.

WetHog is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
  #484
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
His replacement was excellent....don't make excuses. Stras doesn't make those plays at shortstop, or save those runs in the 9th.
Which replacement are you talking about? Edwin Jackson started a game; he doesn't start a game if Stras plays. Of course he makes a difference, anyone not a Cards fan can see that. FTR I'm of the belief that the Nats made the right decision with Stras.

Capsman is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:05 AM
  #485
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,375
vCash: 500
Blaming the ump seriously? He had a tight, but fair strike zone the entire game. Better question is why were the Nats pitchers nibbling even when they had a 6 run lead.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:05 AM
  #486
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
His replacement? What? They ran a 5 man rotation of Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, Jackson and Detwiler, shortened to a 4 man rotation sans Stras for the playoffs, so what are you even talking about?

If Strasburg throws game 1 or 2 the entire complexion of this series would've changed.
Well if Strasburg pitches in the playoffs then Detweiler comes out of the pen.

WetHog is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:06 AM
  #487
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
And?

Gio and the Nats were lucky to win Game 1, Jordan Z got shelled in game 2, Jackson was Jackson in game 3, Detweiler was lights out in game 4, and the entire team choked in game 5. Strasburg in the lineup was no garuntee of advancement.
I don't understand YOUR point. Yes Jackson is Jackson and is not Strasburg. Our chance to win game 3 is greater with Stras pitching. It doesn't guarantee anything, no. But statistically speaking the chances are greater.

Capsman is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:06 AM
  #488
Duke33
Registered User
 
Duke33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
His replacement? What? They ran a 5 man rotation of Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, Jackson and Detwiler, shortened to a 4 man rotation sans Stras for the playoffs, so what are you even talking about?

If Strasburg throws game 1 or 2 the entire complexion of this series would've changed.
Strasburg got shelled bad in two of his last three starts and had a very pedestrian 3.80-something ERA after the all-star break. He was hardly the superhuman all-star people make him out to be, or the guaranteed lock down pitcher.

Duke33 is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:08 AM
  #489
Riot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
It was the kids first full season in the majors, coming off TJ surgery at that, sitting him was the right decision.
Was it? How can anyone possibly know that? Strasburg could go on to pitch for the next 15 years or he could walk out on opening day next year and blow out his elbow on the first pitch. He could blow it out 2 years down the road. Regardless of what happens, there will never be any way of proving that shutting him down in the midst of a playoff run was the right call. The only thing it does is beg the question of what could've been had he pitched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Blaming the ump seriously? He had a tight, but fair strike zone the entire game. Better question is why were the Nats pitchers nibbling even when they had a 6 run lead.
This. Too much ************ around the plate from Gonzalez and Storen both.

Riot is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:08 AM
  #490
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Well if Strasburg pitches in the playoffs then Detweiler comes out of the pen.
You don't think we could have used Detwiler as a long reliever tonight?

Capsman is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:10 AM
  #491
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Strasburg got shelled bad in two of his last three starts and had a very pedestrian 3.80-something ERA after the all-star break. He was hardly the superhuman all-star people make him out to be, or the guaranteed lock down pitcher.
Rizzo made sure of that with the carnival. I agree with shutting him down but could have been done differently.

Capsman is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:13 AM
  #492
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I don't understand YOUR point. Yes Jackson is Jackson and is not Strasburg. Our chance to win game 3 is greater with Stras pitching. It doesn't guarantee anything, no. But statistically speaking the chances are greater.
My point is the way the 5 games played out Strasburg pitching wouldn't have been a sure win, especially with the run support provided to JZ and Jackson in Games 2 and 3. Yes they got shelled, but if they both give up 2 or 3 runs in each game the Nats still lose.

And if Strasburg pitches Detweiler is coming out of the Pen. So that would negate his great performance in game 4. Jackson would be in that spot, and we all know how that would of ended.

WetHog is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:17 AM
  #493
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
You don't think we could have used Detwiler as a long reliever tonight?
Would he have been available for long relief tonight? Me thinks he would of been used in long relief in Game 4 after Jackson got taken out early.

WetHog is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:24 AM
  #494
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Was it? How can anyone possibly know that? Strasburg could go on to pitch for the next 15 years or he could walk out on opening day next year and blow out his elbow on the first pitch. He could blow it out 2 years down the road. Regardless of what happens, there will never be any way of proving that shutting him down in the midst of a playoff run was the right call. The only thing it does is beg the question of what could've been had he pitched.
The Nats used the same system of recovery from TJ surgery on Jordan Zimmerman, and it seemed to work great this year.


And yes, what could of been if he pitched. What could of been if the Nats hit the damn ball in games 2 and 3. What could of been if Gio pitches lights out with a 6-0 lead tonight. What could of been if the ace closer Drew Storen holds a 2 run lead in the top of the 9th.

WetHog is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 05:06 AM
  #495
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 182,863
vCash: 500
Again, lack of success in postseason, in this here city, is baffling

I just wish I hadn't assumed the game was over, and gone to bed. Missed a pretty good comeback.

Francesa is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 05:09 AM
  #496
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,064
vCash: 500
Should have never let Teddy win.

strungout is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 05:14 AM
  #497
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 182,863
vCash: 500
It's amazing that the Nats finished with the best record in baseball and still managed to blow this game.

I strongly regret going to sleep assuming it was over. The way they started off the game, leading 3-0 off the bat, and then piling on later to make it 6-0...and I was just so tired for some reason, so I just said, "Forget it. They got this, I'm going to sleep"


Francesa is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 06:39 AM
  #498
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
It's your fault.

stanleycaps98 is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 08:40 AM
  #499
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,378
vCash: 500
i am conditioned now to deal with this. i on the other hand dont have to put up with it. thank god for the lockout

txpd is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 08:45 AM
  #500
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Should have never let Teddy win.
Agreed. Don't **** with tradition when you're in first.

Devil Dancer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.