HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The last few games you beat and rate them II

Old
10-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 1527
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The last few games you beat and rate them II

Last thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=494393

Over the past week or so I beat Assassin's Creed Revelations and Alan Wake.

Revelations was actually really good, in my opinion. I remember criticisms about it being too short and more of an expansion, but I felt it was about as long as most other AC games, it just only occurred in one city. Obviously it was nice to get real clarification on what was actually happening and what the game was all about and I like how they wrapped up Ezio and Altair's story. Can't wait for ACIII.

9/10

As for Alan Wake, I was going into the game with low expectations, but ended up pleasantly surprised. I liked the whole concept of a writer, trapped in this world of horror, figuring out the story, etc... The game was a bit repetitive though, and there was only like 3 types of enemies (possessed items, taken, and birds). The fine details of the story were a little meh, but overall the game was good and flowed naturally.

7/10

"I think part of his game is heís over aggressive at times, which I like. Weíll tame that. Iíd rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Lambda

vCash: 500
RAGE

6.5/10

I am going to rate this game pretty harshly because it really is disappointing. There are some real bright spots that I loved and kept me coming back to finish the game, but a lot of emptiness as well:

The good:

I've always loved id Software games, and they still have gunplay and weapon selection feeling great. Every gun really does feel like it has a purpose, and is fun to unload on fools. I especially loved the wingstick!

Also, as much as I thought I wouldn't, I thoroughly enjoyed car travel to each mission, and in races and things. The controls felt great even though I was using my keyboard and mouse setup.

Graphics/animation were also top notch, even though for some strange reason I had to disable the "Texture Detail" setting in order to get a smooth experience, despite having just built my rig with 3770k, 8gb of RAM, and SLI GTX680s (I've seen other 680 owners complain about this as well).

The bad:

The story is god awful. From the beginning cut scene, it seems as though it may have some potential, and the first few people you interact with are all interesting characters well voice acted (as are all characters in the game). But after a couple times walking through each little "town", everyone feels like a cardboard cutout. Every subsequent plot point feels like a generic ripoff of half life 2, and never gives me any emotional involvement in the game, which is a huge part of game enjoyment for me. I feel as though id could have made a 100x better game if they had started with an engrossing story that they could portray with all their fancy technology and great gunplay; this feels like they spent all their time on the engine, threw in their guns, and grafted a story on.

Finally, I feel the lack of an FPS multiplayer component is a huge missed opportunity. I mentioned several times how id still "has it" when it comes to gun selection, gun balancing, and the enjoyment of just tearing through enemies. Why not just give the fans what they want and make a great multiplayer fps experience out of it? Could a community have been built around it? I'm not sure, but id Software has certainly managed to do it in the past.

Last edited by Lambda: 10-13-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 01:07 PM
blue425

Bioshock. 9/10

My fourth or fifth time through Rapture. One point off perfect cause story wise it kind of falls off after the big reveal.

Currently playing 2 again.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
New York comic con demos:

Hitman Absolution: 9.5/10
I was expecting great. I got amazing. I've never been into the series, but it really took the best elements from other stealth games. There's something extremely satisfying about bashing in a guys head with a book, or throwing a knife at him... And them taking his clothes

Tomb Raider: 3/10
I had low expectations, and still manged to be disappointed. They tried to mirror what makes uncharted great, and failed. It was boring, and seemed... Pointless. Hunting is ****ing retarded! The game felt like Uncharted, and Cabela's hunting had a disabled child....

Kreider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda View Post
RAGE

6.5/10

I am going to rate this game pretty harshly because it really is disappointing. There are some real bright spots that I loved and kept me coming back to finish the game, but a lot of emptiness as well:

The good:

I've always loved id Software games, and they still have gunplay and weapon selection feeling great. Every gun really does feel like it has a purpose, and is fun to unload on fools. I especially loved the wingstick!

Also, as much as I thought I wouldn't, I thoroughly enjoyed car travel to each mission, and in races and things. The controls felt great even though I was using my keyboard and mouse setup.

Graphics/animation were also top notch, even though for some strange reason I had to disable the "Texture Detail" setting in order to get a smooth experience, despite having just built my rig with 3770k, 8gb of RAM, and SLI GTX680s (I've seen other 680 owners complain about this as well).

The bad:

The story is god awful. From the beginning cut scene, it seems as though it may have some potential, and the first few people you interact with are all interesting characters well voice acted (as are all characters in the game). But after a couple times walking through each little "town", everyone feels like a cardboard cutout. Every subsequent plot point feels like a generic ripoff of half life 2, and never gives me any emotional involvement in the game, which is a huge part of game enjoyment for me. I feel as though id could have made a 100x better game if they had started with an engrossing story that they could portray with all their fancy technology and great gunplay; this feels like they spent all their time on the engine, threw in their guns, and grafted a story on.

Finally, I feel the lack of an FPS multiplayer component is a huge missed opportunity. I mentioned several times how id still "has it" when it comes to gun selection, gun balancing, and the enjoyment of just tearing through enemies. Why not just give the fans what they want and make a great multiplayer fps experience out of it? Could a community have been built around it? I'm not sure, but id Software has certainly managed to do it in the past.

Probably the worst ending out of any videogame that I've ever played.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Lambda

^^ Yeah! I think so as well! I was saving the chain gun for, it turns out, nothing.

Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:57 PM
patsbury

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 [PS3]
8/10
The game offers more diversity than MW2, but still a step behind MW1. Overall, more fun to play than MW2, but actually shorter; with ~2 more hours of game play, I would have given a 8.5 out of 10.

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Frankie Spankie

CreaVures - 8/10

CreaVures is a pretty neat little puzzle/platformer. It reminds me of Lost Vikings in many ways. I didn't like it quite as much as Trine because it was never really challenging and it was pretty short. I beat the whole game in under 3 hours. Still a pretty cool game. I got it in some indie bundle and glad I played through it.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:48 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Spec Ops: The Line - 8.5/10

Long story short, can't remember the last time that a game's plot made me think more than this one. I thought nothing of shock value moments in other games, notably the airport scene in Modern Warfare 2 which didn't strike a single nerve with me and mostly just left me bored and wishing I didn't have to stroll and waste time gunning down innocents. Multiple scenes in Spec Ops, though, left me really thinking after the fact. Even made me wonder how I would've reacted in similar circumstances, especially when....
Spoil:
....you find your teammate getting lynched by an angry mob and you have the choice to either let his murderers get away or to gun them down as well as a bunch of innocents in the process.
Very powerful stuff. Plus, gorgeous looking game and a great soundtrack to boot.

Gameplay, on the other hand, is hit or miss. While very visceral throughout, it's also a bit sluggish and you'll find yourself dying more than a few times entirely because your character's slow to react to what you're doing.

Definitely would give it a strong recommendation, though. Bought it for $40 and thought it was well worth it, even with it being fairly short and likely not much replay value beyond wanting to go back and redo a few decisions and see the four endings.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Ceremony
Articuno

vCash: 50
Bulletstorm

Mad, over the top fun that's let down slightly by the complexity of the ways to kill people... too many weapons, that are too hard to really use properly at times. Not bad though. And I'm not complaining, since it was free.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Frankie Spankie

Babel Rising - 8/10

This is falling under my Intrusion 2 or Anomoly: Warzone Earth category of I technically didn't beat it and rage quit at the end because it got unfairly difficult. Babel Rising is a fun game where you play God and have to kill the Babylonians who are trying to build a tower to heaven. It's actually a lot of fun and you have to use the power of the elements to stop them before they reach the top. It's pretty damn fun smiting all those people with your powers and watching the bodies fly away as they comically scream to their deaths. Pretty fun game that will last you a couple hours and has a survival mode and multiplayer (didn't try either myself).

If you're wondering why I stopped, I tried the last level several times and couldn't beat it no matter what strategy I tried. The tower isn't round like the first ten levels so boulders are pretty useless and they have towers that basically teleport workers half way up the tower. Not to mention the tower's already like 66% complete from the start of the round, makes it even tougher because they have to spend so little time building. Just way too much going on and way too much of an advantage for the workers for the last level to really be fair. You had to survive for 20 minutes, the best I did was like 12...

Old
10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Frankie Spankie

Dishonored - 9.5/10

Wow, I was a bit hesitant to buy this game on release. But all I can say is wow. This is what game developers should be striving for, this is the kind of game I want to play. Anything is possible in this assassin game with so many different paths to take. You could play it one way and think you beat it how it was meant to be played and another person could play it a completely different way and beat it the way they think it was meant to be played. That's what makes a truly amazing game IMO.

I got the dark ending and liked it a lot. I also watched the good ending on YouTube and liked that one a lot. I don't think the "dark" ending is a bad ending at all.

That being said, my only real complaint about the game is how the game kind of drops after the first couple of missions. I loved the story line and loved where it went. But the first two missions, I spent about 3 hours on each just exploring and finding everything. Then the rest of the missions were beaten in about an hour each. Not that they were shorter, but they just had much less to do in all of them I thought. That's really the only reason I'm keeping it from being a perfect 10/10. There were a couple very minor bugs like at times I couldn't choke people from behind at a funny angle while they're moving, but they were few and far between.

Absolutely amazing game, should win GotY as far as I'm concerned, is in my list for favorite games of all time now.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:34 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

god of war 3 perfect 10 this can literally be as bloody and violent as you want

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Unholy Diver

Walking Dead Episode 3 8/10 - good episode though a little glitchy at times especially on the train

Walking Dead Episode 4 9/10 - another great episode, the story and writing has been fantastic, I will be sorry to see it end after the next installment

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Zodiac

Spec Ops: The Line (pc)

7/10

basically its your typical, run of the mill, 3rd person, cover based, military shooter. not bad, but not terribly exciting either. it does get a little more interesting towards the end, tho.

its also extremely short, coming in at around 5 or 6 hours ...which could actually be a good thing, depending on your view of the game.

worth getting for $10 or less in you're somewhat interested in the genre.

Last edited by Zodiac: 10-28-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Batman Arkham City - 7.5/10

Didn't like it as much as Asylum. They tried to make it seem like a giant world by making you go back and forth over the same stuff. Also just has irritating things like trying to navigate yourself back out of a place after a mission. Every game needs an accesible exit after working your way through an entire building.

Just seemed to do things like that to stretch out the length. Still a Batman game, and as such worth playing. Once.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Batman Arkham City - 7.5/10

Didn't like it as much as Asylum. They tried to make it seem like a giant world by making you go back and forth over the same stuff. Also just has irritating things like trying to navigate yourself back out of a place after a mission. Every game needs an accesible exit after working your way through an entire building.

Just seemed to do things like that to stretch out the length. Still a Batman game, and as such worth playing. Once.
Ugh, I actually got that game free with my video card when I bought it around the time of Battlefield 3 being released. That's not what I like to hear but it does remind me a lot of the newest Wolfenstein which was my biggest complaint about the game. A lot of people I talk to about games seem to overlook small annoyances like that, I usually get annoyed more by the smaller things though.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Frankie Spankie

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - 9/10

Ahh, a massive improvement over the original. I liked literally every single part of this game more than the original. Combat feels good, it's not instant failure if you're spotted, you get a couple of save files (although I only really used them for a couple of long missions, didn't even bother for the shorter ones.) My main complaint is that it got easier and a little more linear towards the end. I couldn't get silent assassin on many of the missions because it was so hard but the last couple were a cake walk. The last mission was kind of fun to not even bother with stealth though. All I know is I'm glad I had all those weapons I've been collecting as the game went on in my tool shed. I went out of my way to get some new weapons to finish the missions with and that M60 definitely came in handy!

Old
10-30-2012, 02:26 PM
chasespace

Medal of Honor: Warfighter 4/10

It looked pretty but it the gameplay was too repetitive and boring. Stuck you on rails too many times where you basically had no say in what goes on. The thing I'm really disappointed in is it seems like they're really under-utilizing the Frostbite engine. When it debuted in Bad Company you could level practically anything, Bad Company 2 added more destruction but in this game you have to lob grenades at a piece of plywood if you want to shoot through it.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Frankie Spankie

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams 8/10

I saw this come up on Steam after being Greenlit. It looked like a lot of fun so I decided to buy it. It didn't disappoint. The artwork and music in this game was definitely the most appealing part for me. You can switch sisters at any time and have calm music in a nightmarish world or rock music in a calm world. That part kind of confused me but whatever, I didn't think about it much after the first minute. The music and art work switches really nicely too.

The gameplay is solid and has some fun jumping features. One sister can do a twirl in a double jump fashion and use it to drop to the ground slower. The other can launch herself in any direction as a fireball. You can only use one special jump per jump unless you kill an enemy in the jump which adds for some fun strategy to get from point A to point B. I also like how it wasn't linear which is incredibly rare for a platformer. There were a ton of paths you could take and a lot of hidden areas that will act as shortcuts.

My main complaint about this game was to unlock the boss stages, you had to have a certain amount of stars. 2 of a possible 5 stars per stage are for how many times you die and the other 3 is for how many gems you collect. There are a lot of gems as well as a lot of hidden areas and forks in the road so aside from the first couple of levels, I never got all 3 stars possible for gems. There are only 3 boss stages and I had to replay some levels just to unlock the last two. Oddly enough, the second boss was the only one I thought was easy. The first was tough mainly due to tough controls and the last was just a pain to avoid all the attacks.

Certainly a really fun platformer. There wasn't any puzzles if that's what you're looking for. It will definitely test your platforming skills.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
XCOM Enemy Unknown (PS3) 9.5/10 - On my GotY list along with Mass Effect 3. Felt the last mission was rather lame and that there was more hand-holding compared to UFO Defense

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:08 AM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

Borderlands 1 and 2 basically the same game. People who claim there is a big difference and number 2 is so much better is wrong, same thing different campaign.

KingKopitar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Frankie Spankie

Deadlight - 6.5/10

The game itself is pretty cool but the PC version is really bugged. The game will crash randomly whenever you try to pause it and the audio will cut out in cutscenes. The story line was pretty cool and the artwork was great as well as the platforming and combat. I liked how it was a zombie game where you were better off manipulating how stupid zombies are instead of just running around killing all of them. The main reason the game scored as low as it did for me was the annoying bugs for the PC version and the ending. For those who don't care about spoilers or already beat the game, my problem with the ending is:

Spoil:
They never really explain who you are and it was kind of cool running through some dreams and realizing you were a cop that ended up sacrificing your family so they wouldn't become zombies. But the fact that you tell Shannon not to give up and make this big speech about moral choices and that you should fight to live, only to ****ing feed yourself to zombies when there was a perfectly good escape route available? WTF kind of ending is that?!

Last edited by Frankie Spankie: 11-04-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Had to lower my rating because the ending was that bad.
Old
11-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Frankie Spankie

Hitman Contracts - 7.5/10

Good engine and I liked some of the improvements (namely the syringe for quicker knockouts and the double sneak speed). However, the second half of the game minus the last mission was all remakes from the original game. The story was confusing and it felt like it was all just quickly thrown in together after making some minor, albeit good, tweaks to the engine, they seemed to have gotten lazy. I can't rate any "sequel" to any series that cut/pastes half the missions from a previous version a good rating. Although, if you played just this one and skipped the original, you'd probably be much happier with it.

It also seemed a lot easier. The first half was really fun and I liked some of the missions since they felt like there was more to do in each one that didn't include waiting and studying patrol paths. However, I find it hard to believe that I magically became much better since the 2nd. The first two I could only get the silent assassin rating about 10% of the time. In Contracts, I was getting it about 80% of the time...

Old
11-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Frankie Spankie

Hell Yeah! Wrath of a Dead Rabbit - 8.5/10

A lot of fun and just completely random, over-the-top violence. It's almost nostalgic of all the cartoon violence I used to watch as a little kid. Most of the kills you make against the monsters in the game look like they're all made up by a 3rd grade version of myself. Seriously a lot of fun for a game that clearly doesn't take itself seriously.