HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Today's Whale game stream 5:00

Old
10-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Boy, y'all seem to overlook that this is a new season for a team full of new, very young players. Plus, everyone's "favorite" didn't have the benefit of training camp or a chance to play with his new teammates in a game before last night. Don't forget, the AHL is developmental league. Most players are just learning the game.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:34 AM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Boy, y'all seem to overlook that this is a new season for a team full of new, very young players. Plus, everyone's "favorite" didn't have the benefit of training camp or a chance to play with his new teammates in a game before last night. Don't forget, the AHL is developmental league. Most players are just learning the game.
if everyone's "favorite" is referring to matt gilroy, not only has he been playing in the NHL/AHL for the last 3 years, but he's familiar with this team and this system. i'm not saying i expected him to come out and light it up, but he didn't look like he belonged on the ice. he was THAT bad.

Last edited by district9: 10-13-2012 at 03:30 PM.
district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
if everyone's "favorite" is referring to matt gilroy, not only has he been playing in the NHL/AHL for the last 5 years, but he's familiar with this team and this system. i'm not saying i expected him to come out and light it up, but he didn't look like he belonged on the ice. he was THAT bad.
Sorry, but I don't judge a player based on one game--especially the first game of the season when that player has just signed a contract, missing training camp and pre-season.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:07 AM
The Khan

Really liked what I saw from Kyle Jean, looks a nice signing.

The Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Pizza

What's the story on Jean? Thanks.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:44 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Was at the game last night.

Kreider wasn't overly impressive, looked like he was getting his feet wet. JT Miller stood out. Liked what I saw from Haley.

Gilroy was AWFUL. He made 3 glaring mistakes that lead to 3 of their 5 second period goals.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Was at the game last night.

Kreider wasn't overly impressive, looked like he was getting his feet wet. JT Miller stood out. Liked what I saw from Haley.

Gilroy was AWFUL. He made 3 glaring mistakes that lead to 3 of their 5 second period goals.
and some people want him skating for the Rangers id take Eminger or even Bickel over him any day of the week... what can you tell us about Jean?? does he have any NHL potential?? or just a minor leaguer?

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
and some people want him skating for the Rangers id take Eminger or even Bickel over him any day of the week... what can you tell us about Jean?? does he have any NHL potential?? or just a minor leaguer?
please--- there was no reason to believe that gilroy would be that bad in a minor league game. i'm sure if he plays like that next game nobody will want to see him-- most people probably already don't. you're acting as though he was that bad when he played for the rangers, and really he wasn't. he was a serviceable 6/7 pmd.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:06 PM
ck20

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't judge a player based on one game--especially the first game of the season when that player has just signed a contract, missing training camp and pre-season.
Then you clearly haven't watched Gilroy play at all.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:30 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
That's Colin McDonald, a good AHL scorer.

And man was Kyle Jean impressive again. He pulled some slick dangles, and he's got size and speed. I'm a fan.
Wow, good call. My bad on that one. Still trying to pick up on the details of the AHL.

I agree about Jean, kid looks very solid.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:51 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
What's the story on Jean? Thanks.
Went to Lake Superior State and put up pretty mediocre numbers.

But he's been very impressive. He's tall and a bit lanky, skates fast, and was everywhere in the games I've seen him. Threw some very impressive dangles and scored a nice goal on a penalty shot.

Easily the Whale's best players last night, and Bridgeport appears to be a damn solid hockey team.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Kershaw

Yeah Bridgeport has the best d-man in the league in Hamonic. We beat them last yr in the playoffs, but look at all the young talent they added. Nelson/Hamonic/Nino, etc.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 03:20 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Yeah Bridgeport has the best d-man in the league in Hamonic. We beat them last yr in the playoffs, but look at all the young talent they added. Nelson/Hamonic/Nino, etc.
And as much as it pains me to say it, Kirill Kabanov was great.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 03:28 PM
district9

Quote:
but this isn't one game...again i've been a gilroy defender since day 1 but to say that he hasn't performed well in the NHL is an understatement. he's a guy that has too much experience to look completely lost and like he doesn't belong on a roster in an AHL game. it wasn't his speed, stickwork, passing, or anything like that where i had an issue. it was his vision and his gamesense. he pinched at all the wrong times, he joined the rush at all the wrong times. there were at least 3 odd man rushes that could be directly attributed to gilroy not understand when to pinch. THOSE are things that are cerebral and have nothing to do with missing training camp. at 28 years old with 3 pro seasons under your belt you either have that or you don't.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:54 PM
district9

also not for nothing but i don't think anybody on this board was saying that gilroy can't improve and play better over the next couple of months. i supported the signing because i think he has talent and i think he's a pretty good player, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't criticize him for how bad he played yesterday. did you watch the game? this wasn't just a mediocre performance from a guy we were expecting more out of, this was embarrassing and hard to watch.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Kershaw

It was only the first game of the season, everyone gets a free pass 5-10 games into the season, then we can begin to pick apart the rest.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Then you clearly haven't watched Gilroy play at all.
Clearly, you don't know me at all.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 10-13-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old
10-14-2012, 11:37 AM
ck20

Quote:
Clearly, you don't know me at all.
Then you must have a very skewed view of what Gilroy does and has been doing if you think he should be anywhere near this organization again.

Let's say he actually ends up on the Rangers defensive line. Who would you replace with Gilroy? Who, besides Bickel (who can at least fight), is worse than Gilroy? As people have been saying, Gilroy's mistakes aren't just a result of missing training camp and pre-season. He's making fundamental mistakes that shouldn't still be consistently happening and to the severity they happen. 28-years-old and three pro seasons, all in the NHL no less, and he's looking like he can't handle the AHL. And then people try to say that "Oh, well he's familiar with this organization and the players and staff!" So..wouldn't you think he should be able to jump in and be a step ahead, or at least on par with guys ~6-8 years younger, instead of two steps behind? Kreider has been doing just fine and looks comfortable in the Whale across pre-season and the season opener. Miller is starting to get his feet wet and looks comfortable as well. I'm not saying Gilroy can't improve, but I really think it's a longshot at this point and it should probably be with a team that's not so..I don't want to say demanding, maybe not as critical or analytical of their prospects/potential call-ups.

Last edited by ck20: 10-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.
ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Vitto79

Gilroy is an AHL player now. Only reason he was on the Rangers is because he was highly regarded out of College but he didnt do well. Since then he's been on TB and Ottawa and did nothing.

He is fine for a call up if a few Dmen go down but otherwise Bickel has a 2 yr, 1 way deal and provides toughness. When the D is healthy Bickel is the 25th man on the roster anyway.

Sauer could very well be healthy after all this lock outs crap

McDonaugh, Girardi, Staal, Sauer, Del Zotto, Stralman with Eminger and Bickel spares

They have their 12 F in place so they only need 1 other spare like a Haley.

aaaaaahhhhhhhhh lets get some NHL hockey back already

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:02 PM
asphyXy

vCash: 50
Are there any live streams of today's game?

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
Are there any live streams of today's game?
I am also interested in this

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Jetsfan204*

The game is on right now and I still can't find a stream!

Jetsfan204* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 800
Enjoy

Net Front Presence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌