HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2012, 10:45 PM
  #301
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
He's having a good game tonight, I especially liked that give and go on his goal. He seems like a pretty good prospect whenever I watch him. Doesn't necessarily dominate the play, not one of these guys who the puck seems to follow around, but he has a great shot, he's a good skater, he plays hard, and he goes to the danger areas. I like him quite a bit, but I'm definitely not THIS enthusiastic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The kid is an elite player.

Gtfo of here with the Fisher and Stoll comparisons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He will be a top ten pick this year.

Quite possibly top five.

You obviously have no idea.

As usual.

People are comparing him to mid-second round picks.

Pfffffft.
I don't see him as a big time star in the NHL, I highly doubt he'll go top 5 this year and don't think he's a lock to go top 10 (possible, but not a lock IMO), but he's a good player who does a lot of things right. I could see him being quite a good 2nd line centre if he pans out, but I'd be surprised if he turns into a good 1st line centre. He could also easily end up on the wing.

While we're throwing out comparisons, I guess he reminds me the most of Kesler, except a couple inches shorter and not as blazingly fast (good speed, but not as fast as Kesler).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 01:18 AM
  #302
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
He's having a good game tonight, I especially liked that give and go on his goal. He seems like a pretty good prospect whenever I watch him. Doesn't necessarily dominate the play, not one of these guys who the puck seems to follow around, but he has a great shot, he's a good skater, he plays hard, and he goes to the danger areas. I like him quite a bit, but I'm definitely not THIS enthusiastic:


I don't see him as a big time star in the NHL, I highly doubt he'll go top 5 this year and don't think he's a lock to go top 10 (possible, but not a lock IMO), but he's a good player who does a lot of things right. I could see him being quite a good 2nd line centre if he pans out, but I'd be surprised if he turns into a good 1st line centre. He could also easily end up on the wing.

While we're throwing out comparisons, I guess he reminds me the most of Kesler, except a couple inches shorter and not as blazingly fast (good speed, but not as fast as Kesler).
Kesler is a whiny *****, diver and cheap shot artist. Lazar is none of those things. He plays an honest game and he plays hard. He is very fast, I dont know if I would compare him to Kesler in that regard, but he is just a kid and Kesler is a full grown man.

Ive watched him live lots over the last two years and am confident in my assessment. I may be a little optimistic, but he has the skills, the attitude (both on and off the ice), is strong on his feet, can fight, is good defensively, can hit, and has a very good shot with a very quick release.

All of that is gold to scouts. Add in the fact he is a center, who can also play wing and it makes the package even sweeter.

If he can put together a forty goal season (I think he can) he will be in the conversation for a top ten pick imo.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:21 AM
  #303
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Kesler is a whiny *****, diver and cheap shot artist. Lazar is none of those things. He plays an honest game and he plays hard. He is very fast, I dont know if I would compare him to Kesler in that regard, but he is just a kid and Kesler is a full grown man.

Ive watched him live lots over the last two years and am confident in my assessment. I may be a little optimistic, but he has the skills, the attitude (both on and off the ice), is strong on his feet, can fight, is good defensively, can hit, and has a very good shot with a very quick release.

All of that is gold to scouts. Add in the fact he is a center, who can also play wing and it makes the package even sweeter.

If he can put together a forty goal season (I think he can) he will be in the conversation for a top ten pick imo.
Let's not make this about Kesler, although I think it is quite the apt comparison.

I think the main things that can prevent Lazar from being a top 5 pick are his hands (not superb) his speed (good, but not elite) and his passing ability (not as good as other forwards of his calibre). If he can improve on two or more of those areas, he will be a top 5 pick; otherwise, he is a fringe top-10 pick

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:25 AM
  #304
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Let's not make this about Kesler, although I think it is quite the apt comparison.

I think the main things that can prevent Lazar from being a top 5 pick are his hands (not superb) his speed (good, but not elite) and his passing ability (not as good as other forwards of his calibre). If he can improve on two or more of those areas, he will be a top 5 pick; otherwise, he is a fringe top-10 pick
His speed is going to prevent him from being a top ten pick?


I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:34 AM
  #305
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,395
vCash: 50
I keep telling ya, Callahan!

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:42 AM
  #306
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I keep telling ya, Callahan!
i'd hope more offense than ryan

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:34 AM
  #307
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
i'd hope more offense than ryan
I know it's not completely of his own doing, but Callahan stilll pots 25+ goals, I'd be happy with that from a top-10 pick

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:35 AM
  #308
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
His speed is going to prevent him from being a top ten pick?

No, but his speed, hands, and passing ability all together might

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:06 AM
  #309
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
No, but his speed, hands, and passing ability all together might
These aren't the qualities that define his game. Although I don't know what is wrong with his skating, he is agile, well balanced, and fast.

His hands aren't incredible, nor is his passing, but one could argue he does all he has to. He doesn't turn it over, he's very smart and makes good reads. Lazar is fine

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:54 AM
  #310
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Kesler is a whiny *****, diver and cheap shot artist. Lazar is none of those things. He plays an honest game and he plays hard. He is very fast, I dont know if I would compare him to Kesler in that regard, but he is just a kid and Kesler is a full grown man.

Ive watched him live lots over the last two years and am confident in my assessment. I may be a little optimistic, but he has the skills, the attitude (both on and off the ice), is strong on his feet, can fight, is good defensively, can hit, and has a very good shot with a very quick release.

All of that is gold to scouts. Add in the fact he is a center, who can also play wing and it makes the package even sweeter.

If he can put together a forty goal season (I think he can) he will be in the conversation for a top ten pick imo.
Heh, I can see you don't like Kesler, but I wasn't try to compare their personalities, just their strengths/weaknesses on the ice. He reminds me of Kesler because they're both speedy centres with great shots, decent but not amazing playmaking, who are physical but not hitting machines. Both are quite versatile on offence, they can stand in front of the net and get garbage goals or snipe from the perimeter, and both are responsible defensively. Both are guys you could play at centre or on the wing. They just seem to have a lot in common, though as I mentioned before Kesler is taller, and his speed is more game breaking. Of course, as with all players, comparisons aren't that useful, everyone is their own player, and similar style does not necessarily mean similar upside. But watching Lazar, I am reminded most of Kesler, though I don't mind the Doan comparison either.

Also, agreed that he could be in the conversation for a top 10 pick, I just thought that before you were saying he was a top 10 lock, and could go top 5. I can't see him going top 5 personally, because this is just such a strong draft (at centre alone I prefer MacKinnon, Barkov and Monahan, and while I haven't watched Lindholm personally, he sounds sick too).

With all that being said, I've only seen Lazar once this year, and a handful of times last year, so I've seen much less of him than you. I definitely like him, I can see him becoming a good NHLer, but I'm not sure I see him becoming a big time star at the NHL level.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:12 PM
  #311
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,223
vCash: 500
I watch highlites of Lazar, and I see more of a Owen Nolan.

Not saying he will score 400 goals in the NHL, but style of play.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:10 AM
  #312
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,489
vCash: 500
I was at the Oil Kings game tonight and was sitting right in front of scout from NHL's CSB. I asked him about Lazar and he told me he sees Curtis as a 2nd line guy but not a #1 center. He said he thinks he will score at the NHL level, just not at a PPG pace. If others feel the same way Curtis could drop to the mid-late first round in such a deep draft.

He also told me he was very interested in Brayden Point for 2014, who he thinks will be "very good".

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:52 AM
  #313
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I was at the Oil Kings game tonight and was sitting right in front of scout from NHL's CSB. I asked him about Lazar and he told me he sees Curtis as a 2nd line guy but not a #1 center. He said he thinks he will score at the NHL level, just not at a PPG pace. If others feel the same way Curtis could drop to the mid-late first round in such a deep draft.

He also told me he was very interested in Brayden Point for 2014, who he thinks will be "very good".
I agree with that..

At the Mem Cup he just didn't show that he had the skills to play at a PPG in the NHL....

He should be a less talented Kesler.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:24 AM
  #314
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I agree with that..

At the Mem Cup he just didn't show that he had the skills to play at a PPG in the NHL....

He should be a less talented Kesler.
Well in his defense he did have 19 points in 20 games that playoffs, while I believe playing sheltered minutes.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:41 AM
  #315
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Well in his defense he did have 19 points in 20 games that playoffs, while I believe playing sheltered minutes.
He just wasn't dominant, I don't see the same dominance I see in other 2013 top guys... He's not skilled enough. He'll be a good 2nd center, maybe a top one.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:59 AM
  #316
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
He just wasn't dominant, I don't see the same dominance I see in other 2013 top guys... He's not skilled enough. He'll be a good 2nd center, maybe a top one.
So far he hasn't been able to produce points at a pace that someone like Schenn did in the WHL, does he project out better than Schenn in other aspects? Is he a slow starter in a the dub like Kane was? Or is he "just" a 2nd liner in the NHL, which is still pretty damn good!
And Point reminds me of Weal, small, you don't notice him but he produces points. Some of his positioning reminds me of RNH, he's a very smart player. (I'm not saying he's as good as RNH, just that he uses the ice differently than most players, similar to RNH)

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:24 AM
  #317
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Just saw the Warriors last night and I noticed Point. How could you not? That kid can fly. He's got great wheels and is pretty fearless/goes to the tough areas for a small guy.

Lazar's skillset is just fine and projecting to be a #2C in the nhl is pretty damn good.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:36 AM
  #318
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greendale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
sortve reminds me of gilbert brule , hopefully he pans out

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:17 PM
  #319
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
Another viewing of Lazar last night and he's honestly not jumping off the page at me the last three games I went to. I zeroed in on him for most of the second and he showed great tools but I don't know, my eyes were drawn to other players more. Think I'd have Pulock over him at this point, Shinkaruk too probably. Missed the PA game so can't say too much about Morrissey. However, I still think he's a good prospect but I'd be leery of a top 10 if I were to purely base it off this season so far, of course there's 60 more games to play (plus playoffs).

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:58 PM
  #320
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
He should be a 30-30 guy, maybe 35-35, with a strong 2 way game.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:35 PM
  #321
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Lazar with two goals tonight and crushed Shinkaruk in the corner. Hunter was a ghost and did little to nothing all night.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:13 PM
  #322
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,619
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Lazar with two goals tonight and crushed Shinkaruk in the corner. Hunter was a ghost and did little to nothing all night.
Funny, I watched these two kids on back-to-back nights last week and it was the exact same result.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:30 PM
  #323
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Just saw the Warriors last night and I noticed Point. How could you not? That kid can fly. He's got great wheels and is pretty fearless/goes to the tough areas for a small guy.

Lazar's skillset is just fine and projecting to be a #2C in the nhl is pretty damn good.
The bold part would be fine with me if the #1C in front of him is RNH and the plugs beside him are Hall and Yakupov.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:49 PM
  #324
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,395
vCash: 50
For the arguing above: If you like how Landeskog/Callahan play then you will like how Lazar plays, simple as that.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:25 PM
  #325
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Can somebody who follows the WHL a lot give me an update on Lazar's play this season..he's being quiet in terms of production but does he still have a chance to be considered a top 10 pick?

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.