vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Some observations for upcoming WJC:

The Good:
-Yakupov and Grigs on hot streak
-Zhafyarov kid making a real case for himself in Novokuznetsk
-Mironov ('94 D) getting serious minutes in KHL, AND looking good
-Nichushkin (Leading goal scorer on his team) and Shalunov doing really good in VHL
-Sigarev among LEAGUE leaders in VHL
-Vasilevski off to a good start

Not so good:
-Kosov production is low, expect better considering teammates and ice-time, shaping into a low scoring, power forward
-Shmelyov production is low for MHL and high expectations
-Buchnevich production isn't there yet, but its OK
-Mozer, good minutes in KHL but bad stats

The Ugly
-Prokhorkin has fallen off the face of the earth
-Khokhlachev looks like a 16 year old in KHL, disappointing
-Slepyshev out with a serious injury, questionable shape for WJC
-Kadeikin and Kucherov out with injuries
What is the nature of Slepyshev's injury, and has there been a forecast as to when he might return?

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
What is the nature of Slepyshev's injury, and has there been a forecast as to when he might return?
broken collarbone. I think he got surgery straight away in Germany. Not sure about the timeframe..

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
broken collarbone. I think he got surgery straight away in Germany. Not sure about the timeframe..
collarbone is usually 6-8 weeks, up to 12 with complications

hopefully if he is back in November he'll have enough time to pick up KHL fitness.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:23 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
You forgot Tkachyov, one of leaders in MHL this year as was expected... He gets a spot in my books. Now other CHL guys: Biggest surprise probably Valentin Zykov, Zlobin, Zharkov should garner consideration. Defenseman Sergeev, Pedan and Zadorov all off to great starts. Prokhorkin waiting for the AHL season to start. Plus there is another defenseman in the KHL seeing regular playing time with Yugra - Dyakov.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:11 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Defenseman Sergeev, Pedan and Zadorov all off to great starts.
I did put Pedan and Zadorov there (Pedan only as an extra).

Last edited by helicecopter: 10-10-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old
10-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
You forgot Tkachyov, one of leaders in MHL this year as was expected... He gets a spot in my books. Now other CHL guys: Biggest surprise probably Valentin Zykov, Zlobin, Zharkov should garner consideration. Defenseman Sergeev, Pedan and Zadorov all off to great starts. Prokhorkin waiting for the AHL season to start. Plus there is another defenseman in the KHL seeing regular playing time with Yugra - Dyakov.
For my roster, I didn't forget Tkachyov. He's an excellent player, but with plethora of players playing in VHL and KHL, his MHL numbers need to be insane- which they are not. It goes for any MHL player, they should dominate the league if they hope of getting on this year, since their competition is playing in pro-adult leagues. Same goes for CHL players.

Wouldn't take Pedan in a million years, the guy is a penalty magnet who can't stay in the game, worst player of SS.

I don't think that Zykin, Zlobin or Zharkov are stronger than Nichushkin, Shalunov or Kapustin- all 3 are playing against adults and look pretty good, esp considering it'll be on big ice.

Last edited by Fulcrum: 10-10-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old
10-10-2012, 02:09 PM
malkinfan

Quote:
For my roster, I didn't forget Tkachyov. He's an excellent player, but with plethora of players playing in VHL and KHL, his MHL numbers need to be insane- which they are not. It goes for any MHL player, they should dominate the league if they hope of getting on this year, since their competition is playing in pro-adult leagues. Same goes for CHL players.

Wouldn't take Pedan in a million years, the guy is a penalty magnet who can't stay in the game, worst player of SS.

I don't think that Zykin, Zlobin or Zharkov are stronger than Nichushkin, Shalunov or Kapustin- all 3 are playing against adults and look pretty good, esp considering it'll be on big ice.
I have disagreement with some of your choices. tkachyov is probably the fastest skater in the tournament, he creates problems for other teams defense, especially on the pk. Also he opens up ice for other players when he's on - dont care about his points in MHL....
Nichushkin a bit young, Shalunov yes he should go, Kapustin -a tad over rated, there are def. better players. Maybe not Zharkov and Zykov, but both bring size with skill, always nice to bring some size (Kosov).... Zlobin for sure, he's a gamer - plays good in big games - smart player who back checks + is a great playmaker (cant bring all snipers to the party).
Pedan.. I hope you don't judge him on the summer series because he was rusty but he is big, physical and skilled - dumb yes sometimes.
For me D is: Sergeyev Nesterov Dyakov Naumenkov Zadorov Pedan ....Anyone seen Vasiliev play in th USHL- supposed to be a big prospect was injured last year...

Old
10-10-2012, 02:11 PM
malkinfan

Quote:
I did put Pedan and Zadorov there (Pedan only as an extra). Didn't realize Sergeev is still eligible though.
I like your D except Yarullin, he makes me sh** my pants when he's in his own zone... Great on the PP tho.
According to Grigs, Sergeyev is the hardest Dman to play against in the Q.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
I have disagreement with some of your choices. tkachyov is probably the fastest skater in the tournament, he creates problems for other teams defense, especially on the pk. Also he opens up ice for other players when he's on - dont care about his points in MHL....
Nichushkin a bit young, Shalunov yes he should go, Kapustin -a tad over rated, there are def. better players. Maybe not Zharkov and Zykov, but both bring size with skill, always nice to bring some size (Kosov).... Zlobin for sure, he's a gamer - plays good in big games - smart player who back checks + is a great playmaker (cant bring all snipers to the party).
Pedan.. I hope you don't judge him on the summer series because he was rusty but he is big, physical and skilled - dumb yes sometimes.
For me D is: Sergeyev Nesterov Dyakov Naumenkov Zadorov Pedan ....Anyone seen Vasiliev play in th USHL- supposed to be a big prospect was injured last year...
I agree with you that Tkachyov is talented and fast, but I'm sticking to my theory that playing in pro-adult hockey leagues is more efficient. That's where players learn that positioning is more efficient (on big ice esp.) than speed. Same reason that slower veteran players are better than the fast youth.

I've seen Pedan play in OHL, last year's SSS and the SS, he's been away from big ice for too long in OHL. Yes, he can be big and tough, but skilled? MAYBE marginally. Size is not as important on big rinks (like it was in Alberta and Buffalo) He's inexperienced on big ice too. And the penalties that he takes are just TOO many, TOO stupid. He makes horrible decisions with the puck too. You can't afford undisciplined guys like him on a (to be) championship team.

I'de MUCH rather have Mironov from Dinamo on the team. He's 6'2'', not a small guy. Getting very serious PP and PK time in KHL!

Nichushkin is young, but he is just such a beast on the puck. If you watch him play in VHL, he has SO much power- the adults are having a hard time stopping him. It's like an unstoppable tank towards the net. After watching a few games with him, I feel like he's almost a must for the team. I hope Varnakov sees that.

Anyway, lots to be happy about as far as selection goes for this year.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:24 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Pedan on big ice - joke

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
I agree with you that Tkachyov is talented and fast, but I'm sticking to my theory that playing in pro-adult hockey leagues is more efficient. That's where players learn that positioning is more efficient (on big ice esp.) than speed. Same reason that slower veteran players are better than the fast youth.

I've seen Pedan play in OHL, last year's SSS and the SS, he's been away from big ice for too long in OHL. Yes, he can be big and tough, but skilled? MAYBE marginally. Size is not as important on big rinks (like it was in Alberta and Buffalo) He's inexperienced on big ice too. And the penalties that he takes are just TOO many, TOO stupid. He makes horrible decisions with the puck too. You can't afford undisciplined guys like him on a (to be) championship team.

I'de MUCH rather have Mironov from Dinamo on the team. He's 6'2'', not a small guy. Getting very serious PP and PK time in KHL!

Nichushkin is young, but he is just such a beast on the puck. If you watch him play in VHL, he has SO much power- the adults are having a hard time stopping him. It's like an unstoppable tank towards the net. After watching a few games with him, I feel like he's almost a must for the team. I hope Varnakov sees that.

Anyway, lots to be happy about as far as selection goes for this year.
Mironov looked just fine against all of the present and former NHL talent with Lev the other day. Nichushkin is about as big as Yakushev and Lemieux were (194 cm., according to the Traktor website), and he has incredible range, speed and puck control for a guy that big. Beast is a good way to put it.

I should have asked earlier, but what are the nature of the injuries to Kadeikin and Kucherov? Are they out for Ufa, if they should be selected?

Old
10-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Mironov looked just fine against all of the present and former NHL talent with Lev the other day. Nichushkin is about as big as Yakushev and Lemieux were (194 cm., according to the Traktor website), and he has incredible range, speed and puck control for a guy that big. Beast is a good way to put it.

I should have asked earlier, but what are the nature of the injuries to Kadeikin and Kucherov? Are they out for Ufa, if they should be selected?
I don't know about Kadeikin- he is just listed as injured of team's website. He was going through preseason with Atlant- but then got injured and didn't play in SS.

Kucherov underwent surgery for dislocating shoulder (same as Kuznetsov), he's near the end of recover and is supposed to be back by the end of October.

As far as I know no one is out for WJC. And I hope it stayes that way.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:46 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Атланты

- переведен из фарм-клуба Кристалл нападающий Кадейкин Александр

temp rehab
Quote:
I don't know about Kadeikin- he is just listed as injured of team's website. He was going through preseason with Atlant- but then got injured and didn't play in SS.

Kucherov underwent surgery for dislocating shoulder (same as Kuznetsov), he's near the end of recover and is supposed to be back by the end of October.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:

Agreed. It would be great to have all hands on deck, so to speak, since the Canadians will have access to active NHL players. As far as I know, Nugent-Hopkins is the only junior age player who is considered good enough to make a difference who played in the NHL last year. At the same time, I don't always believe that one player will make the difference. We'll see!

Old
10-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Hockeysemin

it good to se Yakupov doing great he got alot of hate last couple of month.

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Agreed. It would be great to have all hands on deck, so to speak, since the Canadians will have access to active NHL players. As far as I know, Nugent-Hopkins is the only junior age player who is considered good enough to make a difference who played in the NHL last year. At the same time, I don't always believe that one player will make the difference. We'll see!
True, one player will not make that big of difference in a tournament, but 1 player along with 5 or 6 other players projected to be in the NHL and who may not be released can all together make a significant difference. In the lockout year of 2005 it was only Bergeron who had NHL experience from the previous year..and he teamed up with a pretty impressive group of 18 year old players (6 of whom would have been playing in the NHL if it were not for a lockout) Same scernario unfolding this year...the only difference is I don't rate this possible lockout team anywhere near the caliber of the 2005 lockout team...

And just to let you know Canada's record at the U20 in lockout years is

13 wins 0 Losses 90 goals for and 29 Against 2 Gold Medals both played in N.America

Russia's record in Lockout years

9 Wins 4 Losses 65 Goals for and 41 Against. 2 Silver Medals...

This year is in the Motherland....winning at home is expected and easy right?

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:32 AM
khlman
Pudgy Faced Killer

Quote:

Buchnevich.. is he playing at all? apparently not playing in KHL anymore, nor in MHL right now.
Buchnevich is with Almaz Cherepovets in MHL. He was 1+1 today.

khlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Eugene85

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
1+2 I believe

Eugene85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Garyboy

Any word on what the Russians roster will be for the upcoming Super Series against the QMJHL/OHL/WHL? Thanks.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
True, one player will not make that big of difference in a tournament, but 1 player along with 5 or 6 other players projected to be in the NHL and who may not be released can all together make a significant difference. In the lockout year of 2005 it was only Bergeron who had NHL experience from the previous year..and he teamed up with a pretty impressive group of 18 year old players (6 of whom would have been playing in the NHL if it were not for a lockout) Same scernario unfolding this year...the only difference is I don't rate this possible lockout team anywhere near the caliber of the 2005 lockout team...

13 wins 0 Losses 90 goals for and 29 Against 2 Gold Medals both played in N.America

???

Welcome to the WJC Russian ROSTER discussion

Old
10-14-2012, 03:42 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
???

Welcome to the WJC Russian ROSTER discussion
Thanks!! I always enjoy checking in on my friends from time to time. )))

Old
10-14-2012, 02:25 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
yep, noticed that.

At the time of my post (1 week ago) he had not been playing anywhere for a while, apparently. Maybe he had some sort of injury after his stint with the senior team.

Btw, Prokhorkin has indeed started his season with the Manchester Monarchs, and reportedly had a strong, promising first game.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:

As usual, you're trying to troll up an artificial disagreement. I didn't say anything about Russia winning easily - I only said that one individual doesn't always decide the winner. If that were true, Pittsburgh would win the Stanley Cup every year. What happened in 1995 and 2005 will have no bearing on what happens in Ufa.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
As usual, you're trying to troll up an artificial disagreement. I didn't say anything about Russia winning easily - I only said that one individual doesn't always decide the winner. If that were true, Pittsburgh would win the Stanley Cup every year. What happened in 1995 and 2005 will have no bearing on what happens in Ufa.
Me? Trying to troll up an artificial disagreement! Never!
And I agreed with you...but it seemed that you didn't fully grasp the situation...that it's not just one player that impacts the junior roster depending on what the NHL is doing, lockout or no lockout, it's usually 6 - 7- or 8 players we are talking about every year; available or not, playing or not.... I don't know about you, but having or not having 8 of your best players has an impact. As evidenced by the 2 U20 Championships in lockout years. but as I said, the level of 2013 team is nowhere near the level of the 2005 team and the fact that we don't have home-ice advantage makes 2013 a fair fight I believe. (if the lockout doesn't end)

Trolling? So sensitive to historical data.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Me? Trying to troll up an artificial disagreement! Never!
And I agreed with you...but it seemed that you didn't fully grasp the situation...that it's not just one player that impacts the junior roster depending on what the NHL is doing, lockout or no lockout, it's usually 6 - 7- or 8 players we are talking about every year; available or not, playing or not.... I don't know about you, but having or not having 8 of your best players has an impact. As evidenced by the 2 U20 Championships in lockout years. but as I said, the level of 2013 team is nowhere near the level of the 2005 team and the fact that we don't have home-ice advantage makes 2013 a fair fight I believe. (if the lockout doesn't end)

Trolling? So sensitive to historical data.
In context, those 6-7-8 players that you reference were all available for the August series of this year. Yes, they all played very well, especially at home in Halifax. I thought it was fairly clear that my reference was to players who would be added to the WJC roster who were not available last year because they were playing in the NHL. To my knowledge, Hopkins was the only one to match that description. If statistical history was relevant, then the august series would have been as lopsided as the one in 2007, when Canada outscored Russia 39-13, and had a 7-0-1 record. This year, total goals scored was 16-16, and while Canada won in OT of the last game to win the series, it was even-up until the very end.