HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Griffins game in Ann Arbor

Old
10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

vCash: 500
Griffins game in Ann Arbor

Last night I went out to Yost to watch the U of M alumni game and see the Griffins play an pre-season game against the Lake Erie Monters. It was a cheap and a very good time.

In the alumni game I was able to see guys like Phil DiGuiseppe, Jon Merrill, Jacob Trouba, Boo Nieves and Brennan Serville and ect. playing with NHLers like Andy Hilbert, Matt Hunwick, Mike Knuble, and Jack Johnson from Columbus. Knuble dominated as one may expect and Guptill also had three goals.

I was able to skate on the ice and get the entire U of M teams autograph after the game. I even got Trouba to sign a U of M puck.

We had great seats right on the glass for the Griffins game and it was slug fest. Several fights broke out with Mitch Callahan and Gleason Fournier having the best two fights although Fournier ended up losing his fight. Callahan just destroyed his guy and then got a game misconduct for leaving the penalty box when Fournier had his fight. Fournier had a couple of fights.

The Griffins won 4 to 2 with goals from Billins, Coetzee, Smith (on a empty netter), and Parkes . Pearce looked outstanding and made several good saves. The majority of play was in the Lake Erie end as the Griffins out shot them like 50 to 27. Parkes had a real nice goal.

Smith, as expected, looked very solid. Ericcson is a big man and played very well. He had a nice physical game. It was nice to also see Jurco played who showed glimpses of his stick handling. Nicastro also looked like an NHL body and was very sound.

Sadly Nyquist and Sheanan were among the scrathes along with McCollum.

Following the game many of the Griffins signed autographs. I was able to get Smith, Ferraro, Coetzee, Billins, Grant, Fournier, Nicastro, Anderson, Parkes, Pare, and Jurco. Jurco was very very nice. He signed two autographs for both my Dad and I and also posed for pictures with fans. He also signed about 30 cards for one fan and was very nice.

Another highlight was when we were waiting by the locker room and out comes this short man who walked with a purpose...Ken Holland. I was unable to ask him for an autograph and he did not smile at fans, just walked like he belonged. I am not saying that he was rude or anything I am just trying to point out how he carried this aura of intimidation. We did see him get into his car which was about two spots down from our truck. Kind of odd to see a NHL GM in the same parking lot as the fans.

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Shoalzie

How do the renovations look? That place was cool already...the images I've seen look great.

Could be a fun season for the Wolverines...I like this team a lot.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannzee View Post
Last night I went out to Yost to watch the U of M alumni game and see the Griffins play an pre-season game against the Lake Erie Monters. It was a cheap and a very good time.

Smith, as expected, looked very solid. Ericcson is a big man and played very well. He had a nice physical game. It was nice to also see Jurco played who showed glimpses of his stick handling. Nicastro also looked like an NHL body and was very sound.
Ericsson on the Griffins? Did you mean Andersson?

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:17 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Thanks for posting this vannzee! Seems like you guys had a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Ericsson on the Griffins? Did you mean Andersson?
I was just going to say. I though Ericsson was going back to where he belongs, an amateur league

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:22 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I heard from a few folks that Gleason Fournier was active all night night long and came close to having a Gordie Howe Hat Trcik

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:23 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Sounds like a great time. I loved going to the alumni games when I was there. One time it was Marty Turco and Steve Shields goaltending for one of the teams. Shields took the 2nd period, so Turco just hung out on the glass behind the net in his gear and signed a few autographs. He was mostly alone though, so I had a good 15 minute conversation with him, nice guy.

Can't wait to get to a game or two at Yost this year. Miss that old barn and am eager to see the renovations.

I ran into Holland a couple times at Center Ice in TC. I always got the sense that he was "on a mission." Everything he did was deliberate and he didn't usually mingle with people, or even talk to people he didn't need to. Such is life as an NHL GM I suppose.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:30 AM
newfy

How did Aubry do in his fight?

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:40 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I don't know if it's just me, but the players and staff of North American sports like hockey, football, baseball, etc. seem to be much more accessible to fans (such as gatherings, open days for training, camps, etc.). There is more of a separation in sports like soccer here in Europe where you wouldn't be able to just chat to a player on the sidelines and stuff. Maybe my perception of the whole thing is way off, but the only time I was able to shake a players hand and get autographs was when my dad's friend (he was a soccer agent) let us meet the players at the entrance of the locker rooms and briefly meet them there. And this was in the Belgian League.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:42 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
How did Aubry do in his fight?
Apparently not so great

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1&postcount=90

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=91

Old
10-08-2012, 12:16 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Sounds like a great time. I loved going to the alumni games when I was there. One time it was Marty Turco and Steve Shields goaltending for one of the teams. Shields took the 2nd period, so Turco just hung out on the glass behind the net in his gear and signed a few autographs. He was mostly alone though, so I had a good 15 minute conversation with him, nice guy.

Can't wait to get to a game or two at Yost this year. Miss that old barn and am eager to see the renovations.

I ran into Holland a couple times at Center Ice in TC. I always got the sense that he was "on a mission." Everything he did was deliberate and he didn't usually mingle with people, or even talk to people he didn't need to. Such is life as an NHL GM I suppose.
Weird. When I've seen Holland at the Ice Cube and Yost, he's didn't look all that driven at all. I was struck by how "undynamic" he was
But then I realized lots of these guys are just hockey players who've done little else but act on the hockey stage all their life

Old
10-08-2012, 12:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but the players and staff of North American sports like hockey, football, baseball, etc. seem to be much more accessible to fans (such as gatherings, open days for training, camps, etc.). There is more of a separation in sports like soccer here in Europe where you wouldn't be able to just chat to a player on the sidelines and stuff. Maybe my perception of the whole thing is way off, but the only time I was able to shake a players hand and get autographs was when my dad's friend (he was a soccer agent) let us meet the players at the entrance of the locker rooms and briefly meet them there. And this was in the Belgian League.
I am not going to say it is not easier, but the huge difference comes in terms of team sanctioned or sponsored. For instance players will have agents or the team set up autograph sessions. They are paid for these. Teams will have events, they charge for that. In many cases it is a part of the business model, in North America it is part of the deal in terms of what an organization thinks a true professional is, not just training and games.

Also, the media while catching up doesn't seem to have the same stalker mentality. The players are a lot less afraid, the tabloid culture is not nearly as large. While superstars can land on it and should be afraid, outside of a couple of guys on the team, incidents blow over rather quickly for athletes.

There is probably differences in the American culture, what it is I am not sure. Because even Canadian superstars recently have seemed to prefer staying south of the boarder once here because of the easier nature.

Then again you reference soccer, the NHL is the fourth (probably a bit kind there) major sport here. Tom Brady isn't walking around doing this and outside of some very friendly guys, you don't here about much of this in the NFL at least I haven't. They will show up to charity events and stuff but that is buying your way in, you expect something in return.

In my opinion it is also easy to get young or minor league guys to sign autographs and chat for a bit. The more outgoing sports guys are always fun, but outside of events or official settings like that, I would never approach them myself about an autograph. That is their time, I find it really rude when I have been in the same restaurant as one of them and people approach them while they are eating with family. There is a tactic to it, but I think most players in North America feel they do enough events they are good, get them at those and leave them alone outside of just a quick chat when in the "real" world. The only other constant access point I hear of is waiting by the players parking lots after games. That is more hit or miss, but some of the guys will run over and sign stuff if that is your deal.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
i know of a few people who have run into or seen holland on the streets and said he was a *****, rude and/or just unemotional at anything. Just a bland individual. Oh well, guy still is a genius.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 01:25 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Don't get me wrong, chatting with players in these types of settings doesn't generally happen in the NHL, at least not at NHL rinks. They are pretty isolated from fan interaction. But Yost is a unique place. It's on a college campus, in a smaller venue, and, with the alumni game at least, these guys are all graduates of the school, so they are often more eager to talk and sign autographs.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:32 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Weird. When I've seen Holland at the Ice Cube and Yost, he's didn't look all that driven at all. I was struck by how "undynamic" he was
But then I realized lots of these guys are just hockey players who've done little else but act on the hockey stage all their life
Undynamic? What makes someone you see from a distance come across as dynamic or undynamic? Why can't hockey people be dynamic?

Old
10-08-2012, 02:52 PM
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

Sounds like I just missed getting to see Tatar by a day.

But Aubry did not win his fight. He put in a good effort but it was not all that close. But yes, I meant Andersson.

It was a unique event that provided the chance to get close to the players. At baseball games sometimes you can mingle with the players before the game but not usually in hockey, basketball or football. It was a media day type thing for the U of M hockey team which made it easy to get their autographs. I wanted to get Merrill to sign a puck too but it was hard to tell who was who since they were wearing suits.

We got access to the Griffins players by waiting by the locker room doors which emptied out into the lobby. There were some other autograph seekers but mostly families and friends waiting. I wasnt pushy, I just stood there and held out my lineup sheet and pen. If they signed they signed then if not I was not going to be aggressive about it. The only one I followed was Holland for a bit but couldnt catch up and did not feel the need to run after him.

Sadly the alumni players did not sign but maybe they had if I had waited by the doors after the alumni game.

But I like the renovations to Yost. It keeps the homey type feel to it. It certain doesnt feel like an NHL area which is good. You feel very close to the action and you get a sense for the age of the building and the history but in a good way. The concorse was not very spacious but it doesnt need to be. They retained the old charm of the arena.

There was no seperate parking for the players from what I could tell and there was really no security to tell you not to wait there or to bother the players. It almost felt like after a high school type game. Very awesome.

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Undynamic? What makes someone you see from a distance come across as dynamic or undynamic? Why can't hockey people be dynamic?
Slowness of talking. Slowness of movement.

And during the last lockout, I spoke with Holland and a group of NHL scouts about a prospects at a U18 tournament at the Ice Cube. Not directly to him, but as part of a group commenting about hockey players...

He just seemed a bit sluggish, overall. Seemed to really like arena popcorn too

Hockey people can be dynamic. But they aren't required to be -- not in the way you usually expect from a company's public figurehead.

Old
10-08-2012, 03:04 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Ken Holland.... The Gluttonous Slouch®?

Old
10-08-2012, 03:22 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Ken Holland.... The Gluttonous Slouch®?
LOL.

I don't think Holland is very "slick."
And that can be a good thing and bad thing.

He means what he says. Listening to Holland's radio interviews, I've come away with the impression that Holland tries hard to answer questions as fully and honestly as possible. I don't think he uses the media to run disinfo campaigns like some GMs might do.

I don't think Holland wastes much time trying to game other GMs. I think he sets a target and finds a way to get it and doesn't mind overpaying to get it.

Although, there appears to be a growing belief that Holland tries to lowball UFAs.

Old
10-08-2012, 03:46 PM
pdd

The Griffs played in Ann Arbor? WHY DID I NOT HEAR OF THIS!

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Adam Schnepp
Hockey's Future Staff

I was at the game on Sunday as well. Good atmosphere, as has been mentioned above. Really laid back and low key.

I thought that Smith played really well. He definitely looks NHL-ready. Skating was smooth, decision making was good, and I thought he just showed some refinement to his game. Can't wait to see him when (if?) the Wings' season gets started.

I didn't see Ken Holland there, but I did see Mike Babcock. Snapped a picture of Babcock with Red Berenson during the 1st period and posted it to my blog's Twitter account:
https://twitter.com/TOGBlog1/status/...653760/photo/1

10-09-2012, 02:17 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Schnepp View Post
I was at the game on Sunday as well. Good atmosphere, as has been mentioned above. Really laid back and low key.

I thought that Smith played really well. He definitely looks NHL-ready. Skating was smooth, decision making was good, and I thought he just showed some refinement to his game. Can't wait to see him when (if?) the Wings' season gets started.

I didn't see Ken Holland there, but I did see Mike Babcock. Snapped a picture of Babcock with Red Berenson during the 1st period and posted it to my blog's Twitter account:
https://twitter.com/TOGBlog1/status/...653760/photo/1
What did you think of Gleason Fournier... I heard he looked really good.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:18 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
The Griffs played in Ann Arbor? WHY DID I NOT HEAR OF THIS!
Word.
I follow all the Washtenaw media on social media and heard nothing of it,

Old
10-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Adam Schnepp
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
What did you think of Gleason Fournier... I heard he looked really good.
Sorry for the delay in response time. He did look good. One of the knocks on him is that he doesn't play a physical game but I think he did on Sunday. It's nice to see that his game is still developing and it doesn't look like his progress has stagnated.

Adam Schnepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
i know of a few people who have run into or seen holland on the streets and said he was a *****, rude and/or just unemotional at anything. Just a bland individual. Oh well, guy still is a genius.
I've had the chance to meet with him on several occasions due to my job, and the guy is a pure class act. Intimidating as all hell, which might be why your friends saw it as rude, but nothing short of pleasant when I've met with him.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:33 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Schnepp View Post
Sorry for the delay in response time. He did look good. One of the knocks on him is that he doesn't play a physical game but I think he did on Sunday. It's nice to see that his game is still developing and it doesn't look like his progress has stagnated.
Thanks.
I have some hope for him.