St. John's IceCaps 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

vCash: 50
seeing some AHL links, so i wouldnt jump into the AHL package just yet,

the AHL should really set up a free trail so people can test the quality.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:58 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I think antro is a bum most of the time, but if gomez is a nhler so is he

Old
10-12-2012, 10:19 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

I thought our team missed Nic whenever he was injurred last year. He is a big body that controls the puck well, plays a solid possession game, and tends to make smart veteran plays with the puck. Whenever our team started running around in our own end getting sloppy he could be counted on to calm us down.

I am REALLY looking forward to Antro and Poni on the 3rd line together in the last year of their contracts. Whether they are teamed with Burmi or Wellwood I think the line will be money in the bank and something we sorely lacked last year. A grinding, cycling, puck possession unit who we can match up against the other teams best and biggest players.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:27 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Not caring for Antropov's play is fine. Thinking he underperformed is also reasonable, but saying that the guy is an AHL'er is a complete and utter fail at understanding player talent and ability. I challenge you to find one person in the game that thinks Antropov is not an NHL player. One person.
Saying Antro was an AHl'er was probably a little harsh, your right he is an NHL'er, don't know if he is a good fit for the Jets though where a veteran guy needs to take on a lot of the load. Antro plain and simple just took too many nights off, either because of conditioning or just lack of effort. He is not a guy suited to the 4th line and not productive enough for a top 6, but to pay a guy his salary to play the 3rd line just doesn't work in our market. If the Jets can move him they should.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I thought our team missed Nic whenever he was injurred last year. He is a big body that controls the puck well, plays a solid possession game, and tends to make smart veteran plays with the puck. Whenever our team started running around in our own end getting sloppy he could be counted on to calm us down.

I am REALLY looking forward to Antro and Poni on the 3rd line together in the last year of their contracts. Whether they are teamed with Burmi or Wellwood I think the line will be money in the bank and something we sorely lacked last year. A grinding, cycling, puck possession unit who we can match up against the other teams best and biggest players.
I wholeheartedly support this post and would vote for you in any election if you ran this as your platform

I think that Antro will always be called lazy. That's just the body type and game he plays. I see a guy who can be dominant physically. He is a beast in front of the net and along the wall and I really think him playing with Poni this year will bring out the best in him.

I am really hurting right now because I wanted to see Poni and Olli in Jets silks.

10-13-2012, 01:36 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I wholeheartedly support this post and would vote for you in any election if you ran this as your platform

I think that Antro will always be called lazy. That's just the body type and game he plays. I see a guy who can be dominant physically. He is a beast in front of the net and along the wall and I really think him playing with Poni this year will bring out the best in him.

I am really hurting right now because I wanted to see Poni and Olli in Jets silks.
Agree completely ps241 and Jet (as surprising as that is, although without Jones we might see eye to eye more eh Jet ) Both have great points.

I really hope the lockout ends to see a Poni - Antro - Burmi/Machacek line. With Burmi you will have lots of skill and defensive awareness on the line, a shutdown line with plenty of offensive awareness. With Machacek you would have all 3 physical forwards that can dump and chase and grind it out while maintaining possession and always attacking the other line. Either way you have a 3rd line that can shutdown, take the hard defensive starts, dump and chase and grind it out wearing down the other team, while chipping in offensively. If we have a season this year we will have a true 4 line team, unlike last year, it will be great to watch, a team that can roll 4 lines at you and wear you down.

Anyways, this is getting OT for the STJ thread. Hope the caps do well, but I hope that they do give enough icetime to Jets prospects like O'Dell, O'Neill, Pasquale, Cormier, Telegin even if it means useless (for the Jets) AHLers like Whitmore, Tremblay, Sutherby, Gagnon () do not play as much.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:32 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

No offense meant... but your arguments are quite poor and completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
not productive enough for a top 6
Only three regular players on the Jets' were more productive at scoring goals: Kane (1.26), Ladd (1.08), Little (0.85) vs Antro (0.77)
Only Wheeler (1.00) was better than Antro (0.70) at being a set-up man for primary assists....
So if he's 4th best goal scorer and second best setup man on the team looks like he's capable for "top 6 production" on a team 12th in the league for scoring...

Quote:
to pay a guy his salary to play the 3rd line just doesn't work in our market.
Although Winnipeg is most likely working with an internal cap, this is quite ridiculous.
Yes, it is important to pay guys what they are worth when ever possible as it gives you freedom to make moves and acquire other assets. But, removing a player because they are overpaid when you're not needing additional space is incredibly poor asset management.
He's been transitioning from a purely offensive game to a more defensive game, while staying offensively dangerous, much like his former teammate Ponikarovsky.

Quote:
Antro plain and simple just took too many nights off
Now we're just moving to opinions/tastes... but my opinion:
He's tall, lanky, has awkward skating mechanics and is a pick-your-shot type. The first three causes people mistakenly confuse that he's lazy and/or slow. When you're a low volume shooter you are susceptible to scoring droughts, even when you're maintaining the same pressure, effort and skill.

Quote:
If the Jets can move him they should.
If the Jets are far out of the playoff race anyone or all of Poikarovsky, Wellwood, Hainsey and Antropov could become good trade chips to have. But if we're in the running, I wouldn't agree. I hope that all of these guys get extended for a year or two (obviously Hainsey and Antropov would be looking at a pay cut)... All 3 are great for a solid 3rd line and Hainsey would be a solid 3rd pairing on a deep team.

I'm very much with Holden, Jet and ps241. He's very much what our third line needs.
"A grinding, cycling, puck possession unit who we can match up against the other teams best and biggest players."
Also, keep in mind it's important for a quality team to have 3rd line players who can fill top6 when injuries happen.

EDIT: sorry Holden... I didn't read your comment about this being OT and trying to throw it back on track. Didn't mean to extend the conversation. I will leave it at this and add a St John's comment after to continue it back on topic.

Last edited by garret9: 10-13-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old
10-13-2012, 10:58 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Hope the caps do well, but I hope that they do give enough icetime to Jets prospects like O'Dell, O'Neill, Pasquale, Cormier, Telegin even if it means useless (for the Jets) AHLers like Whitmore, Tremblay, Sutherby, Gagnon () do not play as much.
I agree... partially. Having a solid team and going deep is a solid learning experience too, so is pushing for minutes. But, I also hold fears that someone like Gagnon could be placed in top minutes role when he isn't warranted it.

Goalies:
I don't have any fears for Pasquale. AHL has a lot of back-to-backs so I think they will be pretty solid with spiting the starts.

Defense
My guess is:
Meech-Postma
O`Neil-Redmond
Arsene-Ramsey
Melchiori-Chiarot
The lockout definitely hurts Jets' prospects for opportunity/ice-time. Redmond loses the opportunity for top pairing minutes and responsibilities. O`Neill may or may not be affected... I could see him flipped with Arsene, depending what style the coach goes for. Melchiori is definitely hurt as with either or both of Meech and Postma at St John's cause him to fall into the 7th D.

Forwards
Burmistrov was sent here to be the guy leaned on for offensive minutes, so I have no worries for him (as I doubt you do either).
O`Dell and Telegin will definitely have to fight for their minutes, but I wouldn't worry about Cormier; even though he's more of a shutdown guy, he pushed for top6 mins with having the 3rd highest pts/gp... I'm sure he can do it again.

EDIT:
Apparently Zinger was on 1290 the other day.
He said they don’t want to keep youngsters in the press box. He also said they did that with Chiarot last year and it was a mistake.

Last edited by garret9: 10-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old
10-13-2012, 12:28 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

One of the guys who does writing for SJ IceCaps did a write up for AIH. Check it out ->here<-

Old
10-13-2012, 01:59 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I agree... partially. Having a solid team and going deep is a solid learning experience too, so is pushing for minutes. But, I also hold fears that someone like Gagnon could be placed in top minutes role when he isn't warranted it.

Goalies:
I don't have any fears for Pasquale. AHL has a lot of back-to-backs so I think they will be pretty solid with spiting the starts.

Defense
My guess is:
Meech-Postma
O`Neil-Redmond
Arsene-Ramsey
Melchiori-Chiarot
The lockout definitely hurts Jets' prospects for opportunity/ice-time. Redmond loses the opportunity for top pairing minutes and responsibilities. O`Neill may or may not be affected... I could see him flipped with Arsene, depending what style the coach goes for. Melchiori is definitely hurt as with either or both of Meech and Postma at St John's cause him to fall into the 7th D.

Forwards
Burmistrov was sent here to be the guy leaned on for offensive minutes, so I have no worries for him (as I doubt you do either).
O`Dell and Telegin will definitely have to fight for their minutes, but I wouldn't worry about Cormier; even though he's more of a shutdown guy, he pushed for top6 mins with having the 3rd highest pts/gp... I'm sure he can do it again.

EDIT:
Apparently Zinger was on 1290 the other day.
He said they donít want to keep youngsters in the press box. He also said they did that with Chiarot last year and it was a mistake.
Yea I heard Zinger talk about this and he said if players have a fear of getting burried in the ECHL and not getting noticed Craig said the only way that would happen is if they don't product. He said it was important for a guy like Sol to get the minutes so that they could improve.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250

Old
10-13-2012, 02:14 PM
puck stoppa

I just can't see Arsene playing ahead of Melchiori, that kid is raw but has tons of upside and I want to see him play not sit in the rafters.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I just can't see Arsene playing ahead of Melchiori, that kid is raw but has tons of upside and I want to see him play not sit in the rafters.
Arsene is an AHL vet and adds a physical presence that none of the other D have, he will be in the lineup.

Melchiori will be in and out of the lineup, he'll be #7 but likely rotate in with O'Neill and Ramsay every once and while.

Agreed garret. O'Dell is the player I am most worried about, since I have a feeling Gagnon will get his spot O'Dell deserves a chance to play everyday, he is a nice underrated prospect, IMO.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
For later.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1466...d-falcons.html

10-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Beauty! I've been looking forward to this all week

Old
10-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Jetsfan204*

anyone catch the lineups?

Old
10-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan204 View Post
From the Ice Caps facebook page

Tonight's Lineup:

Forwards:
22 Telegin - 11 Gagnon - 5 King
49 Maxwell - 8 Burmistrov - 48 Klingberg
17 Gregoire - 26 Macenauer - 9 Clark
36 Tremblay - 28 Cormier - 10 Machacek

Defencemen:
29 Arsene - 24 Redmond
7 Meech - 23 O'Neill
44 Melchiori - 18 Chiarot

Goaltenders:
40 Pasquale (starter)
29 Dekanich

Old
10-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Jetsfan204*

Burmi played his first shift w/ maxwell and klingberg

Old
10-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Jetsfan204*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
From the Ice Caps facebook page

Tonight's Lineup:

Forwards:
22 Telegin - 11 Gagnon - 5 King
49 Maxwell - 8 Burmistrov - 48 Klingberg
17 Gregoire - 26 Macenauer - 9 Clark
36 Tremblay - 28 Cormier - 10 Machacek

Defencemen:
29 Arsene - 24 Redmond
7 Meech - 23 O'Neill
44 Melchiori - 18 Chiarot

Goaltenders:
40 Pasquale (starter)
29 Dekanich
tyvm

*edit* very odd line combos imo

Old
10-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Postma, Jaffray, Sawada, Kaunisto, Albert, Schnell all out with injuries.

Pasquale to start.

Lineup...(listed in order they came onto ice, not lines 1,2,3,4 neccessarily)
Tremblay - Cormier - Machacek
Telegin - Gagnon - King
Klingberg - Maxwell - Burmistrov
Gregoire - Macenauer - Clark

Meech - O'Neill
Arsene - Redmond
Melchiori - Chiarot

I guess O'Dell, Sutherby, Whitmore, Ramsay are the healthy scratches.

EDIT: Well, I sat there writing the players down as I saw them come out for nothing apparently lol

PP1
Klingberg - Burmistrov - Machacek
Redmond - Meech

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 10-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old
10-13-2012, 06:26 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan204 View Post
WOOOH Klingberg!!!

Old
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Sweet, Klingberg

Old
Jetsfan204*

Klingberg with a beauty PPG

Old
10-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

What a BEAUTY by Klingberg!! All him. EDIT: Thought it went high, still a nice goal but yeah bad positioning by McEhlenny to allow that five hole, but good job to drive the net.

Telegin had showed some great hands earlier as well.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:33 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Postma, Jaffray, Sawada, Kaunisto, Albert, Schnell all out with injuries.

Pasquale to start.

Lineup...(listed in order they came onto ice, not lines 1,2,3,4 neccessarily)
Tremblay - Cormier - Machacek
Telegin - Gagnon - King
Klingberg - Maxwell - Burmistrov
Gregoire - Macenauer - Clark

Meech - O'Neill
Arsene - Redmond
Melchiori - Chiarot

I guess O'Dell, Sutherby, Whitmore, Ramsay are the healthy scratches.

EDIT: Well, I sat there writing the players down as I saw them come out for nothing apparently lol

PP1
Klingberg - Burmistrov - Machacek
Redmond - Meech
According to the Icecaps twitter:

Maxwell(49)-Burmistrov(8)-Klingberg(48)
Telegin(22)-Gagnon(11)-King(5)
Tremblay(36)-Cormier(28)-Machacek(10)
Gregoire(50)-Macenauer(26)-Clark(9)

So looks right

Closed Thread