HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps Report at 2pm ...

Old
05-11-2006, 03:56 PM
PSUhockey34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17
I disagree, i think he would be better off getting 10 minutes a game in the NHL rather than 20 minutes a game in Hershey. The reason is because it is the NHL.

The sooner the Caps get him to the NHL the better the team is going to be. Now if he played in the NHL next year I would expect him to struggle for most if not all the season. But that happens with young power forwards, not everyone is Ovechking and Crosby.

Look at the premiere power forwards in the NHL, Joe Thornton. In his first year in the NHL he played under 15 min a game and had 7 points. But that is not what was important. What was important is that he got the expierience of playing in the NHL.

And I am not trying to compare Fehr to Thornton because Fehr is never going to be that good. But I could list many power forwards that have a simuler story.

I have no doubt that if Fehr plays in the AHL next year he could score 50 goals, and if he plays in the NHL he could score 5. But getting him to the NHL next year will get him faster than leaving him in the AHL. And if he gets that expierience next year he would prob be counted on to score 15-20 goals in 07-08 and the Caps should make the playoffs. If he spends another year in the AHL then in 07-08 you can expect him to struggle and the Caps may not make the playoffs.

If the is ready physically then he should be with the Caps. And he SHOULD only play 10-15 minutes a game if he is in the NHL. He doesn't need anymore than that, but he does need to get NHL expierience before he can be counted on to really contribute.

No matter how many years in the AHL he has you can't expect a player like him to just jump right into the NHL and start scoring goals. He could spend 4 more years in the AHL and he would still prob struggle through some growing pains his first year in the NHL, ALMOST ALL YOUNG POWER FORWARDS DO.

I think Fehr and Klepis should play together on the 4th line next year for the Caps.

I wouldnt even consider Fehr a power foward in the least bit...he's just a big body winger

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34
I wouldnt even consider Fehr a power foward in the least bit...he's just a big body winger
either way, he isn't going to get used to playing in the NHL untill he actually plays in the NHL. Unless you would rather he just be a great AHL player.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 06:01 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Fehr's play in TC will dictate where he will likely be.

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 07:19 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17
either way, he isn't going to get used to playing in the NHL untill he actually plays in the NHL. Unless you would rather he just be a great AHL player.
He's not even used to playing the AHL yet which is the point...I dont see him putting up the 50 goals you're projecting him to either...Fehr lacks consistentcy in his game and only seeing very limitied icetime in the NHL isnt going to rectify that situation

My whole thing about this is why does Fehr ABSOLUTELY needs to be in the NHL next season when he's better off playing another season in Hershey, let him get used to playing in the NHL when he can actually contribute and not be a liability

I'm not saying stash him in Hershey till he is dominating the league, I just think it's more realistic to let him play another season in the AHL instead of sitting him on the bench in DC to watch the guys play...hell he can do that in the comfort of his own home

Old
05-11-2006, 08:09 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34
He's not even used to playing the AHL yet which is the point...I dont see him putting up the 50 goals you're projecting him to either...Fehr lacks consistentcy in his game and only seeing very limitied icetime in the NHL isnt going to rectify that situation

My whole thing about this is why does Fehr ABSOLUTELY needs to be in the NHL next season when he's better off playing another season in Hershey, let him get used to playing in the NHL when he can actually contribute and not be a liability

I'm not saying stash him in Hershey till he is dominating the league, I just think it's more realistic to let him play another season in the AHL instead of sitting him on the bench in DC to watch the guys play...hell he can do that in the comfort of his own home
He was the 3rd leading scorer on the Bears...I think he has some consistentcy; at least scoring at the AHL level as a rookie. Offense isnt his problem...if anything its defense.

To me the only thing that slowed him down was the length of the season and getting used to the pro game and the defensive resopnsabilities needed to excel. He's improved leaps ond bounds on his defense since the start of the season...his +/- in the playoffs prives that. Is he ready for the full time jump? Ehhh...maybe; maybe not. I still think he starts in Hershey, gets to the Caps by Decmeber and stays til the end...hopefully for a playoff run.

I will say I think its not a good idea to have him playing on the 4th line in DC compared to the 1st or 2nd in Hershey next season. Players like Laich, Gordon, Clymer, Steckel, Willsie and others can fill that line. Players that are defensively sound but are not expected to fill the nets with goals. Fehr is a scorer...he would get 2nd or 1st line playing time along with PP duty. It would be like Beech being on the 4th line...its a waste of talent (Not to Tinner, but dont tell him I said that...haha).

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:18 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout
He was the 3rd leading scorer on the Bears...I think he has some consistentcy; at least scoring at the AHL level as a rookie. Offense isnt his problem...if anything its defense.

To me the only thing that slowed him down was the length of the season and getting used to the pro game and the defensive resopnsabilities needed to excel. He's improved leaps ond bounds on his defense since the start of the season...his +/- in the playoffs prives that. Is he ready for the full time jump? Ehhh...maybe; maybe not. I still think he starts in Hershey, gets to the Caps by Decmeber and stays til the end...hopefully for a playoff run.

I will say I think its not a good idea to have him playing on the 4th line in DC compared to the 1st or 2nd in Hershey next season. Players like Laich, Gordon, Clymer, Steckel, Willsie and others can fill that line. Players that are defensively sound but are not expected to fill the nets with goals. Fehr is a scorer...he would get 2nd or 1st line playing time along with PP duty. It would be like Beech being on the 4th line...its a waste of talent (Not to Tinner, but dont tell him I said that...haha).
His offensive production dropping off the 2nd half of the season is what I was getting at with consistencty, but like you said I think that was due to playing in the AHL and the length of the season...everything else I think you're 100% spot on about