HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Botch vs Ferraro arguement (team1040)

Old
10-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Wisp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote for Rory View Post
Listen after the commercial break. Botch is a ******.
Are we picking sides, now? Okay. Botch did descend into ****ery but that's what happens when you're forced to entertain the belligerence of an *******. Not worth the energy to keep pretending you're having a reasonable discussion.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:42 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Some players intend to injure players, but most don't.

But whenever you go to hit someone you know you are hurting them whether you intend injury or not.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:54 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Some players go in with the hit with the mentality of "This hit will separate the puck and cause a turnover. Him being in discomfort it's a bonus"

Others have the mentality of "This should put him in some discomfort, if it causes a turnover it's a bonus."

Nothing wrong with either mentalities. It's when you go hitting thinking "You're dead" that it's wrong.

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:54 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
^ Pretty much.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Oh please. We all love seeing a huge hit in football, a knockout or a broken bone in combat sports, a crash in car racing.

Tell me you didn't love it when Volpatti KO'd Winchester or when Rypien ragdolled Clune?

Hyperbole much?
"Oh please" yourself.

Visually, it's what it looks like and is very unsettling to me, especially with sports fans yelling "Yeeaah!! That's what it's all about!" on top of it. That's all I'm saying. You can't oh please someone for reacting the way they're going to react. I didn't make any sort of a statement besides that.

I'd say any thrill I get from that dissipates the minute you see that sort of visual. I don't mean when someone's visibly hurt, but when their face all trembly, paralyzed, and out of it. It's creepy.

When Rypien ragdolled Clune, he looked fine afterwards and pissed off that he was made to look like a fool. Totally different.

Zero hyperbole. It's a description of what it looks like.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 10-13-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Lundface

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Some players go in with the hit with the mentality of "This hit will separate the puck and cause a turnover. Him being in discomfort it's a bonus"

Others have the mentality of "This should put him in some discomfort, if it causes a turnover it's a bonus."

Nothing wrong with either mentalities. It's when you go hitting thinking "You're dead" that it's wrong.
Thats exactly why hits like Richards on Booth or Downie on Mcammond are so disgusting. No care about the puck whatsoever

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Thats exactly why hits like Richards on Booth or Downie on Mcammond are so disgusting. No care about the puck whatsoever
You aren't required to care about the puck provided they've played it within a reasonable amount of time prior to you hitting them.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
You aren't required to care about the puck provided they've played it within a reasonable amount of time prior to you hitting them.
By the rules, yes. There is something wrong with a guy that is out there paying no attention to the puck and looking for someone vulnerable to hurt... but not injure, that would be bad.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
By the rules, yes. There is something wrong with a guy that is out there paying no attention to the puck and looking for someone vulnerable to hurt... but not injure, that would be bad.
As long as its within the rules it matters not. If the NHL, players and fans don't like it, change the rules...until then I'm going to enjoy big, devastating hits that knock people silly.

Old
10-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
As long as its within the rules it matters not. If the NHL, players and fans don't like it, change the rules...until then I'm going to enjoy big, devastating hits that knock people silly.
Would you enjoy it if it ended your career? I don't mind if an injury happens, I just hate seeing someone get hurt when the other guy goes out of his way just to make it happen.

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Would you enjoy it if it ended your career? I don't mind if an injury happens, I just hate seeing someone get hurt when the other guy goes out of his way just to make it happen.
Obviously nobody wants their career ended, but every player knows the rules and the risks involved in playing full contact professional sports...and they are well compensated for those risks.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
And your point being.... Stevens wasn't making a play for the soul purpose of injuring a player, he was making a hockey play. How is using your teamate to funnel a player into a hitting area illegal and not a hockey play?
Are you really that naive to think he wasn't going out there to hurt guys?

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Botch and Sekeres should be the main team 1040 show. Taylor and BMac are brutal.....
Oh hell yes! Bmac and Taylor basically sit around talking about the original six teams and crappy music and tv shows from the 60s and 70s. I didn't realize 1040 was so interested in appealing to the 55+ audience...

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:39 AM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Get rid of Bmac keep Taylor on the main show. Taylor is the best broadcaster in Vancouver anyone who thinks otherwise can go jump in a lake.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
I find it ironic that they are running the anti-bullying campaign yet this argument was essentially Ferraro bullying Botch.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I find it ironic that they are running the anti-bullying campaign yet this argument was essentially Ferraro bullying Botch.
But Ferraro played the game. Ergo, everything he says about anything related to hockey is correct and not up for debate.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
That's how I felt after listening. Its not only that Ferraro did it, but that he kept piling on when you could tell Botch was down. Completely uncalled for and unacceptable - Ferraro owes Botch an apology; whether it's accepted or not remains to be seen.

btw, the irony in your post is how much cyber bullying goes on here.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:01 PM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Botchford is an idiot who can't backup his statements
I used to like Botchford but as of late I think he either had someone prop his ego or something or he has decided to be a clown or something, But either way I hope Ray took him down a notch. I think someone mentioned it last season that Botch was seen hanging out with the players more and since then he was acting like he was in the know or something

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Wisp

But he is in the know.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:09 PM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
But Ferraro played the game. Ergo, everything he says about anything related to hockey is correct and not up for debate.
I think sometime we forget that former players have better insight into what goes on in the game then those who have made a living reporting it. I think it was on off the record a few years ago that the host had two reporters and two former pros who who were now reporters and when Micael L and the two guys who had just been reporters agreed on something. One of the former pros told them straight out they had no idea about what had caused a problem. One of the reporters said that he had two players tell him what happened, the one former player pointed out that he was on the team and he was there when a problem started and that the two players either screwing with him or wanted him just to go away. He said he played he often told reporters crap just to get them to go away and to leave them alone.

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote