HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Fowler524

vCash: 500
So far through 2 periods: Griffins lead 2-1

1. GR Andersson, (1) (Tatar, Nyquist) (PP)
2. GR Ferraro, (1) (SH)

Old
10-12-2012, 08:57 PM
ChadS

Why isn't Sheahan playing?

Old
10-12-2012, 09:08 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Tied 2-2.

People dancing to Gangnam style.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:11 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Milwaukee score on the PP. This team

Old
10-12-2012, 09:17 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Another penalty!!!

Old
10-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Tied 2-2.

People dancing to Gangnam style.
You're surprised people are dancing to a song that has HALF A BILLION views on youtube in the past month and half?

Old
10-12-2012, 09:27 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
You're surprised people are dancing to a song that has HALF A BILLION views on youtube in the past month and half?
surprised? No. the was the at the moves.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I was wondering the same thing...

Old
10-13-2012, 12:13 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
He was sat out of the preseason games as well, I wonder if he was hurt in training camp a little bit?

From watching a period and a half of last nights game I noticed Ferraro was getting a tonne of ice and buzzing really well, not surprised he popped in a goal. He was getting PP minutes as well.

Jurco didnt do anthing really noticeable and spent time on the fourth line but was also playing with Nyquist every now and again. He did however make 2 really nice defensive plays.

By the way, everyone is going to love watching Grant and Callahan play together. Grant might be the biggest hitter in the AHL, he reminds me of the AHL Chris Neil kinda. And Callahan is always out there stirring the pot. Callahan, Aubry and Grant all had a few big hits on the forecheck last night, Aubry got decked once too however

Old
10-13-2012, 03:12 PM
TNigs

Ferraro was playing the point on the powerplay and looked really, really good last night. He poked the puck away at the point on the PK and just took off, there was no one close to him as he ripped a shot over the goalies glove on a breakaway.
And callahan, Aubry, Grant were hitting everything in sight. Callahan absolutely destroyed Ekholm at the Griifins bench, welcome to NA hockey.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:54 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNigs View Post
Ferraro was playing the point on the powerplay and looked really, really good last night. He poked the puck away at the point on the PK and just took off, there was no one close to him as he ripped a shot over the goalies glove on a breakaway.
And callahan, Aubry, Grant were hitting everything in sight. Callahan absolutely destroyed Ekholm at the Griifins bench, welcome to NA hockey.
Ferraro is finally healthy, he looks like a very good bottom six player in the future and will be a big help with his versatility as both a wing and center. Had a good back half of last year and really plays with a ton of energy. He gets it and while he might not be what some hoped on draft night, he has a solid NHL future should the injury issues remain behind him.

On that last line man is that going to be no fun for opponents. Callahan played with even more of a pest quality with Grant around. Have known Grant for a while because I follow the AHL even before the lockout and he is a heavy body and a very good fighter. He landed some big hits and seems to get Aubry and Callahan even more involved physically. Big tough and they run through the opponent on the forecheck. Should the Griffins make the post-season that line will absolutely wear people out over a series. A very good line in my opinion. Sheahan should be playing over Parkes that is about all I had a problem with of who they trotted out last night.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:42 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Ferraro is finally healthy, he looks like a very good bottom six player in the future and will be a big help with his versatility as both a wing and center. Had a good back half of last year and really plays with a ton of energy. He gets it and while he might not be what some hoped on draft night, he has a solid NHL future should the injury issues remain behind him.

On that last line man is that going to be no fun for opponents. Callahan played with even more of a pest quality with Grant around. Have known Grant for a while because I follow the AHL even before the lockout and he is a heavy body and a very good fighter. He landed some big hits and seems to get Aubry and Callahan even more involved physically. Big tough and they run through the opponent on the forecheck. Should the Griffins make the post-season that line will absolutely wear people out over a series. A very good line in my opinion. Sheahan should be playing over Parkes that is about all I had a problem with of who they trotted out last night.
I'm not sure I even want to write off Ferraro as a top 6 guy yet for some reason. I know he hasnt done a lot but I think he can be a complimentary guy up there maybe still. Not going to bet on it or hold my breath though.

The development of Callahan and Aubry will be interesting this year, they looked like solid first year pros and good PKers last year but I want to see more responsibility given to them both.

And I dont think Sheahan is being sat for Parkes, I think Sheahan has a lingering injury. Sheahan played in the NHL last year, Parkes wouldnt be playing over him I dont think. Especially cause Sheahan didnt play a preseason game it has to be an injury

Old
10-13-2012, 06:53 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
And I dont think Sheahan is being sat for Parkes, I think Sheahan has a lingering injury. Sheahan played in the NHL last year, Parkes wouldnt be playing over him I dont think. Especially cause Sheahan didnt play a preseason game it has to be an injury
We shall see, I would expect them to tell us if that is the case soon.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:26 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Griffins get a point and really were lucky to get that. Very undisciplined and shaky performance. Looks like Jurco is in for some transition time at the AHL level.

Almqvist was the scratch tonight as far as the defensive rotation. Nicastro was solid and physical, you don't get around him on the boards very easy and he is very put together. Raedeke also sat in favor of Sheahan.

Smith played a more even game. Ferraro was outstanding again earning his second shorthanded point in as many games, also saw time on the PP. In terms of the big guns Tatar was really the best of the guys up front in terms of jump and looking dangerous. Gus was off tonight, although once again looked much stronger on his skates then last year.

Blashill benched Callahan after his fight. Callahan was aggressive but took 6 PIM just to get his fight and I think that is what the coach had a problem with. Aubry, Grant and Callahan were punishing on the forecheck again when they were together.

McCollum looked decent but allowed his typical terrible stinker in the third.

Hopefully this team can take steps on the road. Not a great start to the season.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:24 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I know people love Gus, and I think he's got the best puck skills of any prospect we have, with the exception of perhaps Jurco. But I think Tatar is ready for the show -- if there is a show

Old
10-13-2012, 11:25 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Griffins get a point and really were lucky to get that. Very undisciplined and shaky performance. Looks like Jurco is in for some transition time at the AHL level.

Almqvist was the scratch tonight as far as the defensive rotation. Nicastro was solid and physical, you don't get around him on the boards very easy and he is very put together. Raedeke also sat in favor of Sheahan.

Smith played a more even game. Ferraro was outstanding again earning his second shorthanded point in as many games, also saw time on the PP. In terms of the big guns Tatar was really the best of the guys up front in terms of jump and looking dangerous. Gus was off tonight, although once again looked much stronger on his skates then last year.

Blashill benched Callahan after his fight. Callahan was aggressive but took 6 PIM just to get his fight and I think that is what the coach had a problem with. Aubry, Grant and Callahan were punishing on the forecheck again when they were together.

Hopefully this team can take steps on the road. Not a great start to the season.
Thanks for the update. Did Fournier sit again> Sheahan too?

Old
10-13-2012, 11:28 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

1. HAM Geoffrion, (1) (Quailer, Gallagher), 17:09
1. HAM Palushaj, (1) (Bournival, Nash), 19:53
2. GR Parkes, (1) (Ferraro), 0:46 (SH)
2. GR Pare, (1) (Smith, Hoggan), 5:24
3. HAM Dumont, (1) (Stortini, Hagel), 4:53
3. GR Hoggan, (1) (Paetsch, Lashoff), 9:39 (PP)

1 - HAM Stortini, 6:13 - Boarding, 2 min (PP)
1 - HAM Dumont, 11:11 - Boarding, 2 min (PP)
1 - HAM Stortini, 11:11 - Roughing, 2 min
1 - GR Evans, 11:11 - Roughing, 2 min
1 - HAM Quailer, 20:00 - Fighting, 5 min
1 - GR Callahan, 20:00 - Double minor - Butt-ending (attempt), 4 min (2 PP)
1 - GR Grant, 20:00 - Fighting, 5 min
2 - HAM Hagel, 8:33 - Fighting, 5 min
2 - GR Callahan, 8:33 - Cross-checking, 2 min (PP)
2 - GR Callahan, 8:33 - Fighting, 5 min
2 - GR Evans, 9:52 - Interference, 2 min (PP)
3 - GR Andersson, 1:04 - Hooking, 2 min (PP)
3 - HAM Boyce, 7:47 - Boarding, 2 min (PP)
3 - GR Paetsch, 12:57 - Delay of game, 2 min (PP)

30 McCollum, Tom 3 64:58 36 33 0

A 4 Paetsch, Nathan D 0 1 +1 3 2
7 Smith, Brendan D 0 1 +2 2 0
9 Pare, Francis RW 1 0 +1 1 0
C 10 Hoggan, Jeff LW 1 1 +1 5 0
13 Nyquist, Gustav RW 0 0 -1 1 0
14 Billins, Chad D 0 0 -1 0 0
15 Callahan, Mitch RW 0 0 -1 0 11
17 Nicastro, Max D 0 0 0 0 0
18 Andersson, Joakim C 0 0 -1 3 2
19 Sheahan, Riley C 0 0 -1 0 0
21 Parkes, Trevor LW 1 0 +1 2 0
22 Aubry, Louis-Marc C 0 0 -1 0 0
23 Grant, Triston LW 0 0 -2 0 5
27 Tatar, Tomas LW 0 0 -1 2 0
28 Jurco, Tomas RW 0 0 -1 0 0
29 Ferraro, Landon C 0 1 +2 1 0
32 Lashoff, Brian D 0 1 -3 0 0
A 44 Evans, Brennan D 0 0 -1 0 4

That -3 for Lashoff sure sticks out

Old
10-13-2012, 11:32 PM
WesNichols14

and to make things even more obvious, Petr Mrazek won tonight. 33/34 97 sv%. he should be in GR

Old
10-13-2012, 11:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
and to make things even more obvious, Petr Mrazek won tonight. 33/34 97 sv%. he should be in GR
I didn't watch tonight's game, but looking at the shots on goal stats, sure seems like McCollum lived up to his end of the bargain

Old
10-13-2012, 11:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Pearce and McCollum have let in one bad goal and the quality of chances have been pretty good. I am honestly worried about throwing Mrazek in front of that D right now. Let him make 5 or 6 quality starts down there before we really start talking about this. The vets they signed have been troubling in my opinion up in GR.

And no CB Fournier did not play.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:54 PM
WesNichols14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I didn't watch tonight's game, but looking at the shots on goal stats, sure seems like McCollum lived up to his end of the bargain
i didn't see that so yeah your right, but still when you see loss, then look at Mrazek who nearly had the shutout(last 2 min of game) you make the assumption

Old
10-14-2012, 12:32 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
i didn't see that so yeah your right, but still when you see loss, then look at Mrazek who nearly had the shutout(last 2 min of game) you make the assumption
The third goal should never happen though. That is a part of what makes McCollum so infuriating. Now lucky tonight he shook it off, in the past it would have meant a run on goals. But it still was a very bad goal. Outside of that he played pretty well, but that position requires he brings it for 60 minutes. He struggles to do that. Much better as far as not sliding out of position was more confident with angles and pushed well post to post. He is not a total lost cause, but both will struggle to hold the job if Mrazek shows up and start making the one or two key saves Pearce and McCollum seem to struggle with.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:17 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Thanks for the update. Did Fournier sit again> Sheahan too?
Is Fournier with the Griffs? Or is he with the Walleye?

Sheahan played, didnt stand out. Got some time in the top 6 but mostly played on the third line I beleive. Had one big hit and thats about it. First game of the year though theyre al rusty
Quote:

I dunno if I wuold say lucky to get a point with that terrible goal Mccollum let in. Shot from the corner on the goaline along the ice. Pretty much agree with everything else you said though. Ferraro had a Helm like pk shift and it led to a goal, I'm seriously starting to favour him as a prospect and hes becoming one of my favourites.

Gotta say I liked Nicastro too. Big, physical and was always in the shooting lane looking to block shots. At 6'3 225 lbs at his age, hes got some real potential to be a beast stay at home guy. Wanna see him drop his gloves one of these games though just to see what hes got.

One thing that really pissed me off was guys like Andersson and Pare shooting in the shootout tonight when Jurco and even Ferraro were sitting on the bench. Jurco might have the best hands of any prospect in the world, hes sitting on your bench and you dont use him in favour of a guy like Andersson who has more of a grinder skill set? come on blashill

Old
10-14-2012, 03:04 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
One thing that really pissed me off was guys like Andersson and Pare shooting in the shootout tonight when Jurco and even Ferraro were sitting on the bench. Jurco might have the best hands of any prospect in the world, hes sitting on your bench and you dont use him in favour of a guy like Andersson who has more of a grinder skill set? come on blashill
Agree with the shootout comment and remember all of us discussing it on redwingslive. Just a headscratcher out of Blashill. From what I could tell the ice was pretty chippy at the end for deke type players all of them seemed to struggle on both sides that went for the fancy moves. The part that had me angry was like you said the lack of Ferraro in that situation. Now maybe you have to hand over your five before, not totally clear on that role.

But if the idea was to have someone bear down on the goalie with speed and fire it like Pare and Andersson tried after the failed dekes Ferraro and Sheahan are the best options at that or even a guy like Parkes. Think he got caught rewarding a couple guys that have scored goals early in the season and not viewing it as just a pure talent event.

Blashill is a good coach in my opinion and right for this team. But there are going to be some growing pains. Structurally they have looked slightly better than last year although the defensive breakdowns are troubling. However both special teams units have looked good and you can see the plans on how to improve the team. He is going to have to find an answer on freeing up the middle of the ice though. They really struggled to get the puck going up the middle and into the dangerous areas. They get a little to carried away with the wide drive and a little predictable. I would like to see more space but some of the guys are knocking off the rust. Hoping for improvement there. I like the centers on this team but they didn't have a great night. Griffins need more net drive not always for the puck but just to push the defense around a little more.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:38 AM
joe89

Quote:
Is Fournier with the Griffs? Or is he with the Walleye?
Only griffin to be scratched in both first two games.

Closed Thread