Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

AHL Live & the Aeros

Old
10-12-2012, 08:46 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

vCash: 500
They have an "Archives" capability (i.e. recent games), but I don't see anything that says how long they keep those available. It's still streamed tho, not file d/l.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Jopsey

Just got the 5 game package..Excited for tonight

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:17 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

I think the lockout has greatly increased their traffic. . . site is sloooooooow.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:52 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

The site was slow, but I was generally satisfied with the stream once it got going (that took a couple minutes of navigating thru the painfully slow website screens). No stuttering with the feed, reasonable sync with the radio audio feed. If this is generally what I'm going to get for Aeros home games. . . . I can live with it on a 24" monitor. I don't see me trying to show this quality on a 60" big screen, however. Maybe some other arenas.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:14 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
The site was slow, but I was generally satisfied with the stream once it got going (that took a couple minutes of navigating thru the painfully slow website screens). No stuttering with the feed, reasonable sync with the radio audio feed. If this is generally what I'm going to get for Aeros home games. . . . I can live with it on a 24" monitor. I don't see me trying to show this quality on a 60" big screen, however. Maybe some other arenas.
Yeah, the quality wasn't that great. I just bought the first game, but ehh.

I played it on my 32in TV and it didn't look terrible, but it certainly was not good. I might get a game though here and there if I've got nothing else going on.

Hopefully they can put the website on some new servers or something though because it freezing and having to reload pages before I got to the actual game was just brutal. Once it got playing it was fine, but getting there was darn near impossible.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:26 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Hopefully they can put the website on some new servers or something though because it freezing and having to reload pages before I got to the actual game was just brutal. Once it got playing it was fine, but getting there was darn near impossible.
Agreed. I'd guess AHL Live website is getting significant extra traffic because of the lockout, and hopefully they react to it expeditiously.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:58 AM
wildark45

I subscribed and I'm not happy with the picture quality at all. But it seems to work very well anyway. Someone replied to one of my tweets saying that the feed we are buying is the jumbotron feed. He mentioned the quality is bad In adirondack too, was curious if different arenas had better or worse feeds

wildark45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:10 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildark45 View Post
I subscribed and I'm not happy with the picture quality at all. But it seems to work very well anyway. Someone replied to one of my tweets saying that the feed we are buying is the jumbotron feed. He mentioned the quality is bad In adirondack too, was curious if different arenas had better or worse feeds
Someone previously mentioned that the feeds vary by arena, and that Houston is particularly bad. I believe he said that the Texas Stars have a much better feed.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:50 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Krypton View Post
The quality of AHL Live is pretty crappy overall, and the Aeros home games are probably the worst of the bunch, since they have a 480 x 260 widescreen image letterboxed within the 480 x 360 stream.
So the vertical resolution is 260 pixels of hockey, plus 100 pixels of solid green bars (top and bottom) with some graphics.
Well, at least the aspect ratio, altough letterboxed, is correct.

If you're looking to buy individual games and want the best quality available, I would recommend the Aeros @ Stars games.
The Texas Stars use a different interface for their streams, more akin to NHL GameCenter Live, with a 960 x 540 widescreen format and a higher bitrate.
So it's really three times the resolution of most other AHL Live games.
Sadly, it's a 4:3 image stretched out to a 16:9 format, which could be annoying, but it's the best quality you'll get on AHL Live.
(That same higher-resolution interface is also used by the Hershey Bears in the East, and I think Abbotsford used it once last season, but the Stars are the only ones using it consistently in the West.)
Yeah, saw that Texas feed last weekend. That was actually pretty good. I think I'd be happy breaking out the laptop (which has an HDMI out) next time the Aeros play there to send it to my big screen.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:04 PM
MNman

I paid for the Aeros season pass during the early bird special. Watched two archived games so far (at Texas and at OKC) Texas did have better picture quality, but their announcers sucked. OKC had their radio announcers for sound, and they actually impressed me a bit, but the picture quality was not HD, and quite unclear.

So far it seems like all of the games have been on the archived section, so I'm happy about that. But the production quality is severely lacking, no score or time clock on screen at all.

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:20 PM
P10p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNman View Post
I paid for the Aeros season pass during the early bird special. Watched two archived games so far (at Texas and at OKC) Texas did have better picture quality, but their announcers sucked. OKC had their radio announcers for sound, and they actually impressed me a bit, but the picture quality was not HD, and quite unclear.

So far it seems like all of the games have been on the archived section, so I'm happy about that. But the production quality is severely lacking, no score or time clock on screen at all.
I couldn't stand the OKC announcers, especially the guy who can't speak a sentence without adding "UHHHH" after every third word.

P10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:24 PM
MNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P10p View Post
I couldn't stand the OKC announcers, especially the guy who can't speak a sentence without adding "UHHHH" after every third word.
The old dude was a bit annoying, but the other guy was actually pretty knowledgeable. Except that he kept switching Keumper and Kampfer's last names.

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNman View Post
The old dude was a bit annoying, but the other guy was actually pretty knowledgeable. Except that he kept switching Keumper and Kampfer's last names.
The other guy was biased as hell. Every time the Aeros scored, he would question the goal and say he "didn't know what happened."

Old guy needs to retire. "Houston Wild" made me cringe.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote