HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012 MLB Thread Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2012, 10:45 PM
  #551
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,012
vCash: 500
Raul is cool. MVP of the AL playoffs

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 10:47 PM
  #552
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
Raul f n Ibanez
His heroics are so unexpected, it's incredible to see.

Saugus is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 11:05 PM
  #553
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Not sure about Dickey. The answer is
Spoil:
Joe Torre, Mets
That's a trick question.

Torre was a 1B/3B when he was a player-manager. Torre stopped catching in his late 20's/early 30's.

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 11:07 PM
  #554
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
I'd bet my left nut that Ibanez will have the walk off RBI this game.

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 11:16 PM
  #555
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I'd bet my left nut that Ibanez will have the walk off RBI this game.
Wouldn't doubt it. Anyone hear that guy yelling AAAAA*****hole?

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 11:58 PM
  #556
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
I respect Jeter but he exaggerates injuries more than any player I've ever seen. Guarantee he plays tomorrow. When he's chasing down balls or running the bases you won't even notice he's "hurt" but when the cameras watching him between swings or pitches, he'll be selling the limp.

It's the one aspect of his game I never appreciated. Guy has always been like that. The worst is when a pitch tips his bat and he sells it like it hit his hand. Calling out the trainers and ****. I'm all for the competitive advantage, but not like that.

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 12:18 AM
  #557
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils
 
StvBroDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I respect Jeter but he exaggerates injuries more than any player I've ever seen. Guarantee he plays tomorrow. When he's chasing down balls or running the bases you won't even notice he's "hurt" but when the cameras watching him between swings or pitches, he'll be selling the limp.

It's the one aspect of his game I never appreciated. Guy has always been like that. The worst is when a pitch tips his bat and he sells it like it hit his hand. Calling out the trainers and ****. I'm all for the competitive advantage, but not like that.
And we care how you feel about Jeter. He is out for the season.

StvBroDan is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 12:19 AM
  #558
doc e
Bring Back Yanni
 
doc e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I respect Jeter but he exaggerates injuries more than any player I've ever seen. Guarantee he plays tomorrow. When he's chasing down balls or running the bases you won't even notice he's "hurt" but when the cameras watching him between swings or pitches, he'll be selling the limp.

It's the one aspect of his game I never appreciated. Guy has always been like that. The worst is when a pitch tips his bat and he sells it like it hit his hand. Calling out the trainers and ****. I'm all for the competitive advantage, but not like that.
His ankle is broken.

doc e is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 12:36 AM
  #559
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I respect Jeter but he exaggerates injuries more than any player I've ever seen. Guarantee he plays tomorrow. When he's chasing down balls or running the bases you won't even notice he's "hurt" but when the cameras watching him between swings or pitches, he'll be selling the limp.

It's the one aspect of his game I never appreciated. Guy has always been like that. The worst is when a pitch tips his bat and he sells it like it hit his hand. Calling out the trainers and ****. I'm all for the competitive advantage, but not like that.
You're just starting to sound like you need responses to your posts

Kinda like the guy who started this thread and has since been banned

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 12:40 AM
  #560
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils
 
StvBroDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
You're just starting to sound like you need responses to your posts

Kinda like the guy who started this thread and has since been banned
I wondered where he went.

StvBroDan is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 12:50 AM
  #561
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
I wondered where he went.
Jeter has never been known for "faking" tipped pitches off of his bat as hand injuries, rather playing through other injuries such as the numerous hamstring and lower body injuries he's incurred throughout his career - but hey when you have no flaws in your career I guess some envy it and need to make something up to self comfort themselves

Sounds kinda like Skip Bayless

In more important and factual news though, where the hell would the Yanks be this postseason without their pitching and Ichiro and Ibanez

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 04:19 AM
  #562
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
That's a trick question.

Torre was a 1B/3B when he was a player-manager. Torre stopped catching in his late 20's/early 30's.
If that's the case I apologize.

Jersey Man is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 04:21 AM
  #563
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
Broken ankle = exaggeration. of course.

Jersey Man is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 08:05 AM
  #564
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,012
vCash: 500
Broken ankles psh. Not like playing through it can make it worse or even more messed up right?



Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 08:26 AM
  #565
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Jeter being injured is the last thing the Yankees needed. One of the few guys who was actually hitting is out now.

Saugus is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 09:15 AM
  #566
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Well I have to apologize because I never would have guessed in a million years that he broke his ankle on that play. I watched it in super slow mo and it didn't even look bad.

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 09:17 AM
  #567
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Jeter has never been known for "faking" tipped pitches off of his bat as hand injuries, rather playing through other injuries such as the numerous hamstring and lower body injuries he's incurred throughout his career - but hey when you have no flaws in your career I guess some envy it and need to make something up to self comfort themselves


This isn't the full clip because youtube removes everything MLB related very quickly, but Jeter had the trainer look at his arm for a few minutes before jogging to first.

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 09:47 AM
  #568
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post


This isn't the full clip because youtube removes everything MLB related very quickly, but Jeter had the trainer look at his arm for a few minutes before jogging to first.
Before Jeter is even able to hunch over as if he was hit, the umpires arms were already up and had already signaled he was hit, what are you going to tell him no I wasn't hit, I don't want to go to first? Of course not, you're playing to win the game

As far as the trainer thing goes, its their natural reaction when they're in the dugout to come check on a player if it appeared as if they were hit and the umpire signaled so but here when he came out and he figured out Jeter wasn't hit, they played it up a little bit more than necessary I will agree, Jeter will even agree with you

Quote:
"I think Geno acted more than I did, I guess," Jeter said. "It's part of the game. My job is to get on base."
http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/derek-je...-the-game.html

For all of the faking that has gone on in baesball the past couple of decades between PEDS and other controversies, you are going to look at one minuscule incident in the career of a guy who has the respect of everybody around the league and of fans who follow baseball all around the world and categorize him as a faker?

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 10:40 AM
  #569
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,685
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
this last page

lol.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 11:25 AM
  #570
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,630
vCash: 500
The irony of that whole playing to win thing is the Yankees to a man destroyed A-Rod when he pulled his 'I got it' fakeout of the fielders in Toronto while running between bases a couple years ago and I don't think anyone in NY said a peep about Jeter getting 'hit' in that clip lol. You can't have it both ways depending on who it is, you either defend gamesmanship or come down on it.

And fwiw, I don't think either one is particularly bad at all...hell, what Jeter did nine billion hockey players do on a daily basis (exaggerate to sell a call). A-Rod's act was no different than John Madden yelling 'ACE' to Mario in the playoffs rofl.


Last edited by NJDevs26: 10-14-2012 at 11:32 AM.
NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 03:43 PM
  #571
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
A-Rod and Granderson can't be next to each other in the batting order.

Jersey Man is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 04:11 PM
  #572
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw
 
JerseyGuy276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Flood Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 8,943
vCash: 500
Empty seats........O_O

JerseyGuy276 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 04:14 PM
  #573
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The irony of that whole playing to win thing is the Yankees to a man destroyed A-Rod when he pulled his 'I got it' fakeout of the fielders in Toronto while running between bases a couple years ago and I don't think anyone in NY said a peep about Jeter getting 'hit' in that clip lol. You can't have it both ways depending on who it is, you either defend gamesmanship or come down on it.

And fwiw, I don't think either one is particularly bad at all...hell, what Jeter did nine billion hockey players do on a daily basis (exaggerate to sell a call). A-Rod's act was no different than John Madden yelling 'ACE' to Mario in the playoffs rofl.
Baseball has "unwritten rules" that hockey doesn't have. It's impossible to keep track of them all, but apparently the bush league psych out stuff falls under one of them.

Saugus is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 04:15 PM
  #574
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 18,662
vCash: 500
Jets had a home game plus the Giants and other games on now. Goes to show how much of a stranglehold the NFL has

DatBoyJPP is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 04:24 PM
  #575
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw
 
JerseyGuy276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Flood Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 8,943
vCash: 500
Oh come on, i don't buy that at all...its a regular season game vs a playoff game and it's not like Jets fans packed Metlife...Yankee Stadium sold out only game 3 against Baltimore. Pulling an Atlanta...but even they show up for the Championship Series...

JerseyGuy276 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.