HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Smallz

vCash: 500
AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Figured this would be a good idea for a general thread on here

Basically just ask about a prospect or two or how every many you want and hopefully some posters who have seen them play this season will provide some insight.

Anyways I'll get it going:

I realize it's early but I was wondering how the following prospects have looked so far:

Luke Adam
Jordan Caron
Dmitry Korobov
Travis Oleksuk
Tyler Toffoli

Thanks in advance

Smallz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:57 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post

Basically just ask about a prospect or two or how every many you want and hopefully some posters who have seen them play this season will provide some insight.

I realize it's early but I was wondering how the following prospects have looked so far:

Luke Adam
Jordan Caron
Dmitry Korobov
Travis Oleksuk
Tyler Toffoli

Thanks in advance
Well I watched Oleksuk the last few nights...wasn't too noticeable to me. Though I was focused on the Norfolk players. Sorry for being totally useless.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Bure

Prokhorkin for the Monarchs looked really solid in his first game as an under ager.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:21 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Well I watched Oleksuk the last few nights...wasn't too noticeable to me. Though I was focused on the Norfolk players. Sorry for being totally useless.
Oleksuk has been very good. Enough so that I think he has a real legit chance at cracking the SJ roster when the season starts/next season in a third line role.

The only other guy I watched on that list is Adam... and I was not particularly impressed. His skating is just not good at all, it stuck out like a sore thumb.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Exit Dose

I thought Oleksuk was good in his first game against us, but I didn't notice him much in tonight's game. Sheppard was the guy I noticed the most from Worcester.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:48 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I thought Oleksuk was good in his first game against us, but I didn't notice him much in tonight's game. Sheppard was the guy I noticed the most from Worcester.
To my never-ending amusement, same here.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:46 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Toffoli has looked all sorts of average. Wasn't impressed with the three games I've seen of him at all (one was the first preseason game).

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 06:52 AM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
OT, but Sven Baertschi has 4 points in 2 games. He has looked really good out there so far.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

For the Leafs/Marlies last night:

Gardiner was dominant, was a man among boys it seemed. Ended the night with 2 points I believe? 1 Goal, 1 Assist.
Kadri was explosive, was making plays everywhere, with a little more time to gel he should be getting a good amount of points. Ended the night with 1 assist. Arguably our best forward but credit goes to Ryan Hamilton who potted two on the powerplay.
Joe Colborne was great tonight, he slowed down as the game progressed though, but you can see that he is much healthier and more effective now seeing his wrist is healed. He made a sweet pass on the powerplay for a goal our Captain.
Blacker made several mistakes but Eakins decided to rely on him and gave him heavy minutes.
Mckegg was much better than I was expecting from him, he was more solid defensively and seemed energetic, offensively he couldn't get anything going though.
Ashton had the wheels last night, started out slow but started to rush to the net quite a bit, I hope he brings out his game offensively more.
Holzer was solid for us quietly and steadily as usual.
Leo Komarov lives up to his name, he is a pest. He was making things happen non stop last night and was buging people with hits. He has the skill it seems but I want to see more from him as the season progresses as he is with our second line at the moment.

Aside from Propsect, the return of Paul Ranger. He was definitely rusty but he did help out blacker twice when blacker fumbled so I am assuming with more game under him he will start to play more effectively.

10-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Should mention hands down Zemgus Girgensons was hands down the best prospect for sabres IMO. Mark Pysyk also made some good moves for them.
Marcus Foligno was impressive.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:43 AM
wings5

Love this idea, this thread should be stickied.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post

Luke Adam
Jordan Caron
Dmitry Korobov
Travis Oleksuk
Tyler Toffoli

Thanks in advance

Caron has been average. Picked up a secondary assist last night but wasn't influential on the goal. Hasn't stood out enough considering he was in the NHL last year.

I'm interested in how emerson etem and justin schultz has looked early on

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:56 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Adam has looked average. Nothing spectacular, but not awful.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I personally thought the combo Adam and Hodgson wasn't good not gonna lie.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Caron has been average. Picked up a secondary assist last night but wasn't influential on the goal. Hasn't stood out enough considering he was in the NHL last year.

I'm interested in how emerson etem and justin schultz has looked early on
Through 2 games with the Barons, Schultz has been the best player on the team. Exactly as advertised. He generates offensive chances whenever he's on the ice. He actives all the time it's like having that 4th forward out there. His vision is outstanding and that translates offensively and defensively. Not physical but his positioning and stick are solid.

He picked up an assist in his first game on the PP and scored the GWG in his 2nd game by walking into the slot and freezing the goaltender before snapping it in low blocker. Dare I say, it was vintage Schultz.

Schultz's 1st AHL Goal, GWG

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:32 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Should mention hands down Zemgus Girgensons was hands down the best prospect for sabres IMO. Mark Pysyk also made some good moves for them.
Marcus Foligno was impressive.
Maybe Z will soon be promoted from 3d to 2nd line ?

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Heimerdinger

Bournival looked really, really good last night for the Bulldogs.

Heimerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Prokhorkin for the Monarchs looked really solid in his first game as an under ager.
If Prokhorkin plays like that consistently he's gonna be a helluva NHL-er pretty soon. Great on ice vision combined with (for a young prospect) impressive two-way game and a big body.
The last forward that impressed me like Prokhorkin did yesterday was Kopi a long time ago.

Toffoli was average.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 11:44 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I personally thought the combo Adam and Hodgson wasn't good not gonna lie.
Yeah, they're not a good combination, two players whose skating is questionable, they need a player who can go and dig out the pucks for them. Tropp getting injured is not cool.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 11:49 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

For Oilers: Schultz is probably the new ********* of NHL and hockey world, but he has looked out standing both games agains Lake Erie. The same can be said for Marincin.

For Avs: Elliott has looked good, but Barrie is just on another level right now, making smart amazing plays on both sides of the ice. Also Heard has been surprisingly good, but Aitto, though has played just one game has been our MVP so at.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 11:59 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

From the games I watched:

Jake Gardiner- Outstanding, on a whole other level then the rest of the competition.

Sven Baertschi- Looked very solid, the offense seemed to run through him as well. Slickest hands.

TJ Brodie- Skating is a notch above everyones at the AHL level (Jake Gardiner excluded) a very similar player to Gardiner. 3 points in 2 games.

Nazem Kadri- Very good hands, and used his teammates well. He should be an NHLer this year.

Evgeni Gratchev- Slow but a big body who can shield/control the puck well.

Roman Horak- Just a smart player who knows where to be, doesn't excel at anything but is good at everything.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I thought he was invisible yesterday. Great idea for a thread deserves a sticky imop.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:19 PM
That

For the Bulldogs/Griffins game last night:

Bulldogs:
- Michael Bournival was awesome. Very fast and showed some good skill as well. He was going 110% every shift.
- Brendan Gallagher went hard to the net every time he was on the ice. He was great.
- Steve Quailer surprised me. I really liked how fast of a skater he was and he's got some good hands too. Showed some smarts of Blake Geoffrion's goal.
- Nathan Beaulieu wasn't very noticeable, he had a few shots of the PP though.
- St Denis was the best player on the ice, very poised and very smart.
- Patrick Holland had some good moments. I like how he drove the net and he seemed much more willing to shoot than he was in junior.
- Greg Pateryn played a strong game. He's physical, but at the same time doesn't over do it. He was very poised on both sides of the ice.

Griffins:
- Brendan Smith played a solid game. I was expecting a bit more, but he still looked good out there.
- Gustav Nyquist had a poor game. He had a few nice dekes, but he turned the puck over and didn't seem very interested.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:21 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
For Oilers: Schultz is probably the new ********* of NHL and hockey world, but he has looked out standing both games agains Lake Erie. The same can be said for Marincin.

For Avs: Elliott has looked good, but Barrie is just on another level right now, making smart amazing plays on both sides of the ice. Also Heard has been surprisingly good, but Aitto, though has played just one game has been our MVP so at.
Yeah Schultz & Barrie were easily the best guys out there in both those games. Marincin while good, wasnt on that same level.

I also liked Malone for the Avs & Pitlick for the Oil.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:22 PM
tsujimoto74

Adam has been pretty unspectacular. Pysyk, Tropp, McNabb, Foligno, and Girgensons have all been better for the Amerks, IMO.

Pysyk has been entirely as advertised: very poised with the puck, good first pass, smooth skater, and just all-around smart player.
McNabb's skating looks a bit improved to me (though that could just be because playing vs AHLers vs NHLers) and he's otherwise picked up where he left off last year, playing very physically/aggressively, which is something the Sabres could definitely still use more of in their line-up.
Girgensons was fairly invisible his first game, but he's got a real quick learning curve, apparently, because he was one of Rochester's better forwards yesterday. Created a few chances (though he ruined his best one by over-handling the puck) and had a couple very nice defensive plays. And also this kid can hit.
Tropp had 2 goals the first game, but then got hit along the boards and hurt his leg. Really stinks because his speed and physicality are things a line with Adam and Hodgson really needs.
Foligno's been Foligno, ie: hitting, crashing the net, being awesome. 3 points so far in 2 games.

ETA: As far as the Toronto players went, Gardiner was absolutely fantastic. His skating is so quick and effortless. I think he was the best player on the ice for either team yesterday. His ability to rush the puck and set up plays really stood out.
Kadri looked very good as well. The kid definitely has skills.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 10-14-2012 at 12:37 PM.
tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote