HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tallon won't trade Bjugstad for Luongo

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Every 2nd post is the same guy bashing Luongo.

We get it, you don't need to constantly repeat yourself.

As for the thread, I would expect Luongo to stay with the Canucks this year (if there is even a season). With only Chicago, Toronto and Florida looking for a goaltending upgrade there just isn't enough of a market to warrant trading him.
Just out of curiosity, do Canucks fans think this will change? As in more teams becoming interested? as far as I see it, Luongo's value can't go up...just my two cents.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Actually Luongo is voted by HF as the 7th best goalie, so "by what most people prefer" is not 8-12. And that's with anti-Canucks bias, which unfortunately does exist.

Also, all it takes is two teams with a genuine need for an elite goaltender(not Florida, I'll admit) in order to get fair value. There's not much diffetence between the 4-5 teams interested in Luongo and the 20+ teams interested in Hossa, as long as more than one of the teams involved really needs a goaltender.

And I think you missed the point of that offer. The fact is none of us have any inkling what is being offered, and it's ridiculous to pretend to "know" what's being offered.

And Campbell is an awful comparison because
1) The Hawks needed cap space. We don't.
2) Luongo is better than Campbell(especially at the time of the trade)
3) Luongo plays a more important position
4) Luongo is cheaper

And forgive me if I prefer my own valuation of Luongo to a fan of a rival team.
I have him at #9 or #10 everytime I make a list... some have him higher and some lower. #7 or #8 is no difference. This #7 place does not only include haters, it also includes fanboys votes

Teams that have good goaltending will not go after Luongo. Why should the Ducks or Canes even think about Luongo when they have a #1. The difference between Luongo and Ward (if there is any difference) is not worth anything of value on the trade market. This is why most teams will not even try to get him and this is why his low trade value gets even lower.

I do not miss the point of that offer. All you miss is the fact that the Hawks beat writers already said that Bolland will not go to the Nucks. He wasn't on the table and now you know that Luongos value to the Hawks is not as high as Bolland or even more like Hossa

Campbell is a good comparision (btw, he did not improve during last year) it's just a comparision you don't want to hear

Old
10-14-2012, 07:19 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
How about Lu to NJ for a first or a second plus a mid prospect...That kinda makes sense right?
It will make sense summer 2014

Old
10-14-2012, 08:12 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=Man Bear Pig;54979951]Just out of curiosity, do Canucks fans think this will change? As in more teams becoming interested? as far as I see it, Luongo's value can't go up...just my two cents.[/QUOT

Boston, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and Ottawa sprong to mind.

Boston, accustomed to superior netminding, might replace Thomas with Luongo and continue the 1 and 1a system. They can trade Thomas to Toronto, as well.

Philadelphia is serious about contending. Can Luongo help? We do not know, Gillis has never sent a playoff team forward. Is Luongo an upgrade over Bryzgalov? I'd say yes. Bryzgalov can then be sent to Toronto.

Yzerman can't be done in TB? He has a bunch of young goalies, enough to deal one away and add a mentoring vet.

Ottawa might be on Luongo's list. It makes some sense for him personally. Ottawa can certainly use solid goaltending. They have pieces Gillis and Vignault can agree on as return.

Now, as an exercise, add Edler to a Luongo trade. This package can solve a lot of problems and solidify the back end for years to come. Imagine an Edler/Karlsson pairing in Ottawa!

What might a package like this fetch? Is Latendresse and Cowan too much? What about Hedman?

Bjugstad, meh.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
[QUOTE=JuniorNelson;54980389]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Just out of curiosity, do Canucks fans think this will change? As in more teams becoming interested? as far as I see it, Luongo's value can't go up...just my two cents.[/QUOT

Boston, accustomed to superior netminding, might replace Thomas with Luongo and continue the 1 and 1a system. They can trade Thomas to Toronto, as well.

Philadelphia is serious about contending. Can Luongo help? We do not know, Gillis has never sent a playoff team forward. Is Luongo an upgrade over Bryzgalov? I'd say yes. Bryzgalov can then be sent to Toronto.

Yzerman can't be done in TB? He has a bunch of young goalies, enough to deal one away and add a mentoring vet.

Ottawa might be on Luongo's list. It makes some sense for him personally. Ottawa can certainly use solid goaltending. They have pieces Gillis and Vignault can agree on as return.

Now, as an exercise, add Edler to a Luongo trade. This package can solve a lot of problems and solidify the back end for years to come. Imagine an Edler/Karlsson pairing in Ottawa!

What might a package like this fetch? Is Latendresse and Cowan too much? What about Hedman?

Bjugstad, meh.
Nice try dude. If you think that Boston or Phlly is going to give up assets, just because Luongo may be slightly better, your dreaming. His value isn't going up significantly anytime soon. I'd say a B+ prospect and a change of scene roster player is probably the best they'll be able to do.

And for the moment Edler is UFA at the end of the year. Until he is resigned his value is much lower than his level of play as well.

If Vancouver WANTS to roll with both goalies, that's cool. But holding out for a blue chip prospect could be a long, long wait.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:46 AM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, do Canucks fans think this will change? As in more teams becoming interested? as far as I see it, Luongo's value can't go up...just my two cents.[/QUOT

Bjugstad, meh.
Ottawa doesn't want Luongo. With Anderson, Lehner, and Bishop we are set for quite a while and don't need him at all.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:03 AM
PayItForward

Quote:

Bjugstad, meh.
What? Why would Boston trade for Luongo with that contract, when they have Rask? Because they want to take up cap space for a player they don't need? Honestly your reasoning there makes no sense.

For Philly, well, Toronto's not going to want Bryzgalov. And personally, I'd be against trading Bryzgalov to replace him with Luongo. I would much rather trade for young goalie than add another bad goalie contract to the team. And I surely wouldn't give up another of much significance.

Tampa Bay just traded for a goalie... you think their going to trade for yet another one right after? Maybe if it doesn't work out, but as of right now, I don't see why they'd waste more assets.

And Ottawa has a bunch of goalies. Lehner, Anderson, Bishop, etc. Why would they waste assets for a goalie?

Old
10-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Nor should he, simple as that.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:

Bjugstad, meh.
Haha after everything that happened with Luongo in Boston last year, I could never see him in a spoked B.

We don't need or want him anyway, it's Tuukka time baby.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I have him at #9 or #10 everytime I make a list... some have him higher and some lower. #7 or #8 is no difference. This #7 place does not only include haters, it also includes fanboys votes
There's a reason why the only Canuck in the HF favourite players tournament to make it past the first round was Daniel Sedin, barely getting by Radim Vrbata before being flattened by Lehtonen. There are much more haters than fanboy votes.

Quote:

Teams that have good goaltending will not go after Luongo. Why should the Ducks or Canes even think about Luongo when they have a #1. The difference between Luongo and Ward (if there is any difference) is not worth anything of value on the trade market. This is why most teams will not even try to get him and this is why his low trade value gets even lower.
I agree the Ducks or Canes won't likely go after Luongo. But as I said, even if there are only two interested teams with a serious need for goaltending(Ex Edmonton and Toronto), Gillis can play them off one another until one of them decides it's no longer worth the upgrade.

Quote:
I do not miss the point of that offer. All you miss is the fact that the Hawks beat writers already said that Bolland will not go to the Nucks. He wasn't on the table and now you know that Luongos value to the Hawks is not as high as Bolland or even more like Hossa
Firstly, I believe that was an opinion piece, I don't believe he had a source telling him Bolland wasn't going to be traded, but even if it were true, it might just be because of Chicago's lack of centre depth that Bolland is off the table. Not because they feel Bolland has more value.

Quote:

Campbell is a good comparision (btw, he did not improve during last year) it's just a comparision you don't want to hear
You've failed to address any of my points about why that's not true, except saying that Campbell hasn't improved his stock since being traded.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Personally I see the biggest wild cards going into this season as Tampa Bay, Washington, and Columbus. All will be relying on unproven starters, and it's not unlikely that one or more will falter. They all have some nice pieces that could be deemed expendable from their end.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:49 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Personally I see the biggest wild cards going into this season as Tampa Bay, Washington, and Columbus. All will be relying on unproven starters, and it's not unlikely that one or more will falter. They all have some nice pieces that could be deemed expendable from their end.
Yzerman already said he has no interest in Luongo. It's obvious the contract was the reason.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Yzerman already said he has no interest in Luongo. It's obvious the contract was the reason.
No, he said he wanted a young goalie to grow with his core of Stamkos/Hedman. If Lindback gets lit up without Weber/Suter in front of him, he might be willing to go after a clear upgrade. Especially if another bad contract player came the other way.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:58 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Several and Luongo's terrible play in the 2010 Olympics and 2011 SCF (despite what 'Nucks fans like to believe) have stuck out like a sore thumb. How about you?
In regards to the Olympics, he was chosen ahead of Price, Ward, etc. to be at the Olympics by the smartest men in hockey. At the Olympics, they decided to give the starts to all elimination games to Luongo ahead of Brodeur and Fleury either of whom could have been subbed in for Luongo if they thought he was "terrible". I'm going to say that you are 100% wrong here.

In regards to the 2011 playoffs. Luongo dragged the lowest scoring team to make the playoffs since the lockout to within 1 game of winning the Cup where his team lost in, shocker, a shutout. I'm going to say pitching two shutouts and allowing only one goal in another is giving your team a chance to win. At some point his team should have been able to break out offensively in 1 game, just like every Cup winner ever has (note, without a five goal game in the ECF, Thomas would have been eliminated against Tampa...every goalie needs their offense to step up at least once).

Quote:
Don't forget Vancouver on that list. Schneider really isn't all that much more proven then Holtby, although his performance has been better, he's still a wild card which is why Vancouver should still have a reasonably high value on keeping Luongo.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:09 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
No, he said he wanted a young goalie to grow with his core of Stamkos/Hedman. If Lindback gets lit up without Weber/Suter in front of him, he might be willing to go after a clear upgrade. Especially if another bad contract player came the other way.
He said no to Luongo specifically.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
He said no to Luongo specifically.
Well I don't know about that, but frankly I myself would still be fine putting Schneider on the table as well. Assuming their play is similar, I'd simply trade whoever gets the better return. Can't speak for the management though, but I'd hope they do the same thing.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Beezeral

Quote:

Bjugstad, meh.
Boston has Rask who is basically in the same spot as Schneider. He's ready to be the full time #1, and that is what Boston plans on doing.

Philly is all-in with bryzgalov for better or worse. Nobody, not even Toronto is taking that contract off Philly's hands. Philly only becomes a potential destination in the minuscule chance that there is an amnesty clause in the new CBA or if the NHL allows him to stay in Russia which creates all sorts of problems for NHL/khl relations

Tampa just acquired lindback. It is extremely unlikely they give up on that experiment anytime in the near future.

That leaves just Ottawa. They are an interesting situation in that they have two average to above average goalies that got them into the playoffs last year. It is possible that a month or 2 into the season Ottawa decides they are an elite goalie short of a cup run and go after luongo, but other than that, I don't think they have been rumored to have any interest in luongo.

The biggest problem for the Canucks is that the 2 teams that likely want him most are in the division. That's a can of worms that gillis is understandably hesitant to open

Old
10-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Ridiculous to even consider the notion of Lou being waived.
Darren Dreger was suggesting it, so there is probably some truth to it.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
Darren Dreger was suggesting it, so there is probably some truth to it.
why waive him when teams are interested? Get nothing, or at least get something... Even if it came from Dregger, this is still nonsense.

There is absolutely no reason to put Luongo on waivers. None, whatsoever.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
why waive him when teams are interested? Get nothing, or at least get something... Even if it came from Dregger, this is still nonsense.

Even a 2nd round pick from anyone is more likely scenario.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:15 PM
ronnyweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Even a 2nd round pick from anyone is more likely scenario.
the cap will go down, and nobody will take on that much salary for just a pick. the teams that have the cap space are the reason there is a lockout right now

Old
10-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post

In the end, VAN may be lucky to even find a team that takes on his contract without giving negative value back in that deal

Old
10-14-2012, 12:44 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
In the end, VAN may be lucky to even find a team that takes on his contract without giving negative value back in that deal
True. We'll be lucky to be able to give him away. Although who knows maybe some desperate team could use an elite goalie. Certainly not every team is set in net like the Hawks.
People do realize that there is a lockout right now, right?

Old
10-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
the cap will go down, and nobody will take on that much salary for just a pick. the teams that have the cap space are the reason there is a lockout right now
I don't think the cap will go down without rollbacks. The owners are all on the same page, and I can't see teams that spends to the cap, agree to getting forced into moving players in a scenario that gives them a short, hard deadline to get it done.

Especially with all the last-minute signings, its clear that contracts are currently adjusted to a 70mil cap. I don't see any way that the rich teams would be on board with giving their players away to poor teams, and then give them the money to pay them too. The league wants a 20mil cap reduction. Even 10 mil would be impossible to swallow.

Cap will go down, but Luongo's contract will be reduced with it.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:51 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
True. We'll be lucky to be able to give him away. Although who knows maybe some desperate team could use an elite goalie. Certainly not every team is set in net like the Hawks.
People do realize that there is a lockout right now, right?
I think this is going to probably end like like Brian Campbell. Although Gillis will fight to the very end to try and change that.

Closed Thread