HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout (is over!!!!!)

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Carlzner

vCash: 500
Ah, to be a casual fan.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:36 AM
sunnydaycrash

I've been a fan of the NHL for 36 years, I've bought myself 3 jerseys, bought my son 2 jerseys, spent stupid amounts of money on hockey annuals, pool magazines,.....I've had NHL center ice for 7 years, I've dished out an exorbitant amount on tickets having lived in Montreal and Vancouver going to at least 5-6 games every season......i even flew to Phoenix to see the Caps play.......now after watching the Nationals / Cardinals game tonight, i watched sports center where they had hockey highlights from the KHL, the OHL and the AHL.......and for the first time in those 36 years.....I don't think I give a **** about hockey anymore......now if I'm feeling this way,....what is the fair weather fan feeling?

Old
10-13-2012, 09:18 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I haven't gives a rats ass for a few months. Ain't stopping anytime soon.

I'm already canceling CI.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:09 PM
HTFN

It's not that I don't miss it, because the minute it starts again you can bet it will instantly occupy the void it left, but I've done so many other things that it still feels like the season just ended two months ago. I haven't even noticed.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

The Orioles helped distract me for the past few weeks, but we'll see how much longer before I feel that itch.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Atlas

I want the NHL and the players to honor the game.

Ice hockey is a great, great sport. But it doesn't reach its potential very often these days. The elite talent is mixed with mediocre guys who belong in the AHL because there are too many teams. They've jacked the regular season point getting system with loser points, no ties, and the laughable shootout. Players hit free agency about 5 yrs too soon. This alone destroys real team building and chemistry. Guaranteed contracts are a joke. You can't body check guys like the old days without getting suspended. Hip checks are out.

The glow puck idea made it clear that the NHL would compromise the integrity of the game. It's gone down and down from there (and probably from before).

It's not about the game played the right way. It's about making a fun night out for the family win or lose. Well...I hope they have fun at a game no one including the players care much about.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Ah, to be a casual fan.
except by merit of posting on this website more than a few times alone, none of us are casual.

What does this do to the actual casual fans?

They're gone. The NHL is cutting its arm off to spite itself.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
except by merit of posting on this website more than a few times alone, none of us are casual.

What does this do to the actual casual fans?

They're gone. The NHL is cutting its arm off to spite itself.

I think this stoppage is just a necessary conclusion from the irrationalities of the past 20+ years.

Appealing to the casual fan is and was the problem. By definition, the casual fan isn't interested or even aware of the integrity of the game. If winning over the casual fan is the goal, well, to hell with the game--and that's exactly what is happening. It's a money* grab.

*I love money. But it must be earned honestly, not by suckering the casual fans who will never know an icing from a zamboni.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I think this stoppage is just a necessary conclusion from the irrationalities of the past 20+ years.

Appealing to the casual fan is and was the problem. By definition, the casual fan isn't interested or even aware of the integrity of the game. If winning over the casual fan is the goal, well, to hell with the game--and that's exactly what is happening. It's a money* grab.

*I love money. But it must be earned honestly, not by suckering the casual fans who will never know an icing from a zamboni.
I mean...you weren't born a hockey fan. They don't want to win over casual fans so those fans will stay casual. They want casual fans to become "true" fans.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:17 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I mean...you weren't born a hockey fan. They don't want to win over casual fans so those fans will stay casual. They want casual fans to become "true" fans.
Yeah, but is that really a change you can manufacture? Maybe it's just me, but the difference between a casual and true fan doesn't usually come from those kinds of outside influences.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Yeah, but is that really a change you can manufacture? Maybe it's just me, but the difference between a casual and true fan doesn't usually come from those kinds of outside influences.

Exactly. The awesome product has to be on the ice consistently over the long-term. For many seasons, not just sometimes and in the playoffs. Then the new fan has a chance to get fired up about it. That's not a casual fan, anyway. That's an active-minded person learning the sport.

Nowadays you have a routine power play and for the faceoff the music blasts, there is a light and laser show, the mega-screen flashes a bunch of distorted images, and they have a pizza giveaway. That's hockey (?). It's almost a let down when Backstrom sets up Ovie for a goal.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:33 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Are you guys at all worried that Ovechkin may stay in Russia, or do you think it's all talk?

Old
10-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Are you guys at all worried that Ovechkin may stay in Russia, or do you think it's all talk?
Talk.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:40 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Hopefully this 30 goal scoring doppelganger stays in Russia and the real Ovechkin comes back.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Langway
Intangibles

The NHL is focus grouping. Priorities!

Old
10-15-2012, 04:17 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Huh man? What are they supposed to do? Fehr still doesn't want any change, he wants the current system to continue.

Its a one side negotiation, Fehr said 4 years more of the same, then the NHL put another offer on the table with the same HRR as now with 49% share for players, Fehrs response is 5 more years of the same.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:39 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Huh man? What are they supposed to do? Fehr still doesn't want any change, he wants the current system to continue.

Its a one side negotiation, Fehr said 4 years more of the same, then the NHL put another offer on the table with the same HRR as now with 49% share for players, Fehrs response is 5 more years of the same.
Why should anything between the owners and players change? The problem is amongst the owners. They should probably sort that out so that the season can start.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Langway
Intangibles

The war over who has the high ground is total folly and counterproductive. It's a waste of time, effort and $$$. Neither side has begun to negotiate in earnest and instead have largely preferred grandstanding and similar PR bull****tery. No one wants to make the first real offer because it means the possibility of less than perceived victory. There's maybe another month before another season is down the drain and I see no sign that anyone involved gets it. That's not good for business, now matter how it's spun.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:41 PM
HTFN

What do you make of the KHL Vice-Presidente making the claim that the lockout ends this December?

Old
10-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I was hoping the NHL owners had more important things to spend their money on than big GOP Republican strategists and optics.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
What do you make of the KHL Vice-Presidente making the claim that the lockout ends this December?
He can claim whatever he likes. Does he know something the rest of us don't?

If it ends in December it would have to be Dec 1st or I think it is too late to salvage the Winter Classic as it will take time for all the logistics to get up and running. Players will need to return from overseas etc. The players won't be playing well as it will like their preseason. Four or five players on each team will have had some games and the rest none. It will be really unfair for any fans travelling as it will be last minute arrangements and those will be costly.

If it's going to happen it has to happen now.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Old
10-16-2012, 10:10 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Heh. I had no idea Luntz' group was a quarter mile from me.

I'd think that if they were really interested in what the fans thought, they'd interview someone that's a season ticket holder and a 5 minute walk from their office.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Putting forth a comprehensive and fairly credible offer is better PR than any firm will cook up. Good job, NHL. Now let's see where it goes.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:20 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Twitter blowing up over the NHL's latest propsal. Positive for the most part. Ray of hope?

Pierre LeBrun‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Bettman says offer contingent on having 82-game season which would begin Nov 2. Says league offered 50/50 share of HRR

Closed Thread