HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Most Ironic Trades Ever

Old
10-13-2012, 07:59 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
The English language is whimpering in a corner. Not a single one of these trades has been ironic. I seriously doubt people know what that word means.
this was my observation awhile ago

for me a bit of an ironic trade was Jimmy Carson for Joe Murphy many years ago, it was undoing the drafting of Murphy over Carson. At the end of say looking back at their careers there was not a lot of difference in stats. The fact Detroit tossed in Adam Graves and Petr Klima just made my day,

Last edited by gonzo11: 10-13-2012 at 08:07 PM.
gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 08:03 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Depends, did they really say Richards and Carter aren't capable of winning the Cup? From Philly's perspective, I always saw the trade as Richards and Carter being exceptional players who could lead teams to Cups, just not that team. The locker room problems were too big to ignore. They could be contenders with them and still have some locker room tension, or they could be contenders without them and without locker room tension. It doesn't make sense for a GM to think two players can't win a Cup when they were 2 games away from doing so just a season prior.
Using the second reasoning, that isn't exactly irony either.
They wouldn't have traded 2 of their best players if they thought they were better off with them than without them. The fact that the same 2 players ended up on the same team and won the cup the very next year is the definition of ironic.

Irony - an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

I don't think the Flyers expected both players to accomplish the goal they were trying to accomplish the year after they traded them. Otherwise they would have kept them and accomplished it themselves.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 08:10 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
They wouldn't have traded 2 of their best players if they thought they were better off with them than without them. The fact that the same 2 players ended up on the same team and won the cup the very next year is the definition of ironic.

Irony - an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

I don't think the Flyers expected both players to accomplish the goal they were trying to accomplish the year after they traded them. Otherwise they would have kept them and accomplished it themselves.
an ironic trade in hockey could also be Team A trading players to Team B for players that they hope would fill role A on the team only to see the player they traded away to fill that role on Team B and the players team A got in return fail to perform at all

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 08:39 PM
DohBruins

Quote:
The English language is whimpering in a corner. Not a single one of these trades has been ironic. I seriously doubt people know what that word means.
Look at my OP and you know what I meant by 'ironic',

simmer down

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 08:41 PM
DohBruins

Half of these posts are about the stupid definition of 'irony'.

Per my OP:
Quote:
I'm bored.

And by ironic i mean like, rivals making trades, players that hate each other who get traded for each other, stuff like that.
Now lets calm down.

Old
10-13-2012, 09:13 PM
cashman rules*

Any leaf trades

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

The Beauchemin-Fedorov trade is pretty damn ironic. At the time, it seemed like Columbus was trying to get a proven star to play with Nash and push them towards a playoff spot, while Anaheim was trying to reduce salary and made the team worse to do so. In the end, Fedorov was a pretty big bust and Columbus stayed as a bottom-feeder, while Beauchemin blossomed into a big minute defenseman and was integral part of a championship winning team. Also it's worth noting that without this trade, both salary wise and hockey wise, they never would've been able to acquire Pronger.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
Half of these posts are about the stupid definition of 'irony'.

Per my OP:

Now lets calm down.
So, by 'ironic' you mean 'not at all ironic'.

It's merely the wording I take task to.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:16 AM
DohBruins

Quote:
So, by 'ironic' you mean 'not at all ironic'.

It's merely the wording I take task to.
Really?...

I understand the meaning of ironic

Why do you care so much?

Old
10-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Frankie Spankie

In 2002, the Bruins drafted Yan Stastny in the 8th round.

In 2005, the Bruins traded Yan Stastny for a 4th round pick.

In 2006, the Bruins traded Sergei Samsonov for Marty Reasoner, Yan Stastny, and a 2nd roudn pick.

In 2007, the Bruins traded Yan Stastny for a 5th round pick.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
Really?...

I understand the meaning of ironic

Why do you care so much?
Because it's language, it's the most important thing we have. I don't want this forum contributing to English being dumbed down any more than it already has.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:00 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
You're telling me Carter and Richards trades weren't ironic, considering the fact they won the cup?
Just so you know, the Flyers didnt trade Carter to LA.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Because it's language, it's the most important thing we have. I don't want this forum contributing to English being dumbed down any more than it already has.
Then you would probably need a time machine as it's a lost cause now.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:48 AM
ColeJ

if language is the most important thing you have, that's sad.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 12:32 PM
brandon4679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Here is a very strange trade scenario...

So the trade that sent Pronger to the Ducks sent back Smid, the 1st 2007/2008, and 2nd 2008...and of course Lupul.

That 2008 1st became Eberle.
The 3rd pick the Ducks had made in the 2nd round was Justin Schultz...lol. That pick was acquired from EDM in the Penner offer sheet.

Funny enough, in order to offer sheet Penner, they needed their 3rd round pick back from the Isles. So the they traded their 2nd 2008 (Hamonic!) to the Isles for the 3rd and Rourke.

The Isles then traded Bergeron (Acquired from EDM for grebeshkov and that same pick!) for the 3rd 2008 (Petrov)

Anaheim then traded the Oils 1st from the offer sheet to Buffalo (Tyler Myers) for the 17th (Gardiner) and 27th (Tikhonov).

So all because of the Pronger trade, Myers is in Buffalo, Gardiner in T.O, Hamonic for the NYI and Schultz and Smid in EDM.

It was some of the weirdest trade offs between 3 teams I have ever seen.

Penner being traded to the kings also netted the Oilers Klefbom, Teubert and Zharkov.

That 1st 2007 (Riley Nash) from the Pronger deal, was swapped with Phoenix's that year for a 2nd 2007... That 2nd was just a few spots ahead of Subban...
I can't even get my head fully wrapped around this do funny

brandon4679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
1970: Flyers goaltending tandem of Doug Favell and Bernie Parent.
1971: Flyers trade Parent to Toronto.
1973: Flyers trade Favell to Toronto for Parent.

Fred Shero: "Whoops, we traded you the wrong goalie. Can we have him back?"

Harold Ballard: "Sure what the hell, I'm making money anyway"

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Vancouver Blazers
1973-1975

None of this is ironic!

Ironic would be like, Team A trading for a veteran to provide locker room stability, and that veteran going on to divide the locker room. Or Team B trading for a defenseman to shore up depth, and that defenseman colliding with another defenseman in the first game and taking them both out with long term injuries.

Vancouver Blazers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
None of this is ironic!

Ironic would be like, Team A trading for a veteran to provide locker room stability, and that veteran going on to divide the locker room. Or Team B trading for a defenseman to shore up depth, and that defenseman colliding with another defenseman in the first game and taking them both out with long term injuries.
Montreal trades Jacques Plante to NYR for Gump Worsley because they want a goalie who won't be a tandem goalie. Gump gets hurt, becomes tandem goalie with Charlie Hodge.

Vancouver signs Messier to provide veteran leadership, tears locker room into cliqs.

10-15-2012, 02:50 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
^ And stupid Nonis made sure we had no second round pick in 2006. Because we would have had the option of drafting him in the second round, 4 picks before he was taken by Boston. And he was a big Canucks fan at that point.

Then again, knowing our drafting history there was no chance we would have taken him anyways. Even if we had our pick + Boston's pick (Edmonton's pick).
true, it is a well established fact that vancouver has no WHL scouts.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJ View Post
if language is the most important thing you have, that's sad.
It's actually a little sad that you think it's so. Where would society and science be without the written or spoken word? We'd still be in the dark ages with you.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I think the Carter trade was ironic. The Bluejackets finally make their big deal for a top player, and everyone expects him to do pretty well with lots of icetime. Maybe he'd change the team chemistry and add something dynamic. Nope, he just fits in with the Bluejackets mold of "aggressive and constant disappointment"

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:58 PM
cyclones22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post

The sad part was that the new Captain only played 13 games last year after the trade and may never play again. When picking sides, choose wisely.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
It's actually a little sad that you think it's so. Where would society and science be without the written or spoken word? We'd still be in the dark ages with you.
You're on the wrong forum if you're here to argue semantics

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I don't get how a trade can be ironic?

Perhaps if Team A trades Prospect A to Team B for Established Player B to win this season, but Prospect A plays in integral role in winning the cup for Team A while Established Player B gets eliminated and under-performs in the playoffs.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:16 PM
DohBruins

Quote:
You must live in the dark ages if language is the most important thing in your life.

OKAY, you got me, maybe we should rename the title to "Most Bizarre Trades Ever"

But who gives a flying ****

Last edited by DohBruins: 10-15-2012 at 06:35 PM.