HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kesler or M. Koivu?

View Poll Results: Well
Kessy 72 32.29%
Koivu 151 67.71%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-13-2012, 04:26 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
I don't really understand people using Kesler's career year as an argument, when many other things point to Koivu being slightly better.

To be clear, I'm saying it's very close but Koivu is slightly better, IMO.
And why is that? Kesler produces more, better defensively, gritty, plays with heart...

He's injury prone and has had three surgeries in one calendar year? Well guess how many games he missed in the last four seasons... Yeah that's right, five. Oh and he played in the playoffs in all four of the seasons, including a finals appearance. He played through injuries in last year's playoffs (hip) and this year's (shoulder and wrist). That says a lot about his character.

His last season was not so great. But thats to be expected after playing 82 + 25 games, including some while injured. Then, having a hip surgery in an already short offseason, giving no time for training.

I said this before and I'll say it again, If Kesler was not on the Nucks and was not a diver, he would be winning this poll.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 06:26 AM
LSnow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNamed View Post
And why is that? Kesler produces more, better defensively, gritty, plays with heart...

He's injury prone and has had three surgeries in one calendar year? Well guess how many games he missed in the last four seasons... Yeah that's right, five. Oh and he played in the playoffs in all four of the seasons, including a finals appearance. He played through injuries in last year's playoffs (hip) and this year's (shoulder and wrist). That says a lot about his character.

His last season was not so great. But thats to be expected after playing 82 + 25 games, including some while injured. Then, having a hip surgery in an already short offseason, giving no time for training.

I said this before and I'll say it again, If Kesler was not on the Nucks and was not a diver, he would be winning this poll.
Both are 70 point players, one had career year scoring 40 goals when Twins were feeding him on the pp. Defensive game is a wash. People might give edge to Koivu since he plays 1st line.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:52 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I find Kesler way more annoying to play up against. My Oilers see a fair bit of both of them.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:54 AM
DJOpus

Kesler.

The only knock on him is he's had a bad injury but the extra games he plays as opposed to Koivu (in the playoffs) has taken a toll on him.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 08:03 AM
hockeywoot

Slight edge to Kesler.
Its pretty close. Argument can be made for either.

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 08:39 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

vCash: 1250
Arguments can be made for both, but I agree with the notion that if Kesler wasn't a diver and didn't play for the Canucks, the slight edge that everyone keeps talking about would favor him, rather than Koivu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Both are 70 point players, one had career year scoring 40 goals when Twins were feeding him on the pp. Defensive game is a wash. People might give edge to Koivu since he plays 1st line.
Koivu has only hit 70 points once in his career, so if you want to call Keslers 40 goal season a "career year," then you have to also call Koivu's 70 point season a "career year."

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Gimme Koivu please.

10-13-2012, 10:32 AM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
Arguments can be made for both, but I agree with the notion that if Kesler wasn't a diver and didn't play for the Canucks, the slight edge that everyone keeps talking about would favor him, rather than Koivu.

Koivu has only hit 70 points once in his career, so if you want to call Keslers 40 goal season a "career year," then you have to also call Koivu's 70 point season a "career year."
Koivu has put up seasons with

.848 ppg = 69 points
.88 ppg = 72 points
.87 ppg = 71 points
.8 ppg = 66 points

Meanwhile Kesler has put up

.31 gpg = 26 goals
.30 gpg = 25 goals
.5 gpg = 41 goals
.285 gpg = 23 goals

I'd say its far more accurate to say that Koivu produces at 70 points clip then saying that Kesler is a 40 goal scorer. And thats not even mentioning how Kesler is on a team that is way better offensively.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:46 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Kesler is not any more of a 40 goal scorer than Chechoo is a 50 goal scorer. You can't compare a 2011 Kesler in a poll involving him because that will most likely be his career year. If I had to bet it would be against Kesler hitting 40 goals again, but instead hovering around 30-35 at the most and I have absolutely no problem with that. It's koivu and to the OP please take the time and check if there are identical polls before posting, seriously.

also, Kessy? Really?

Last edited by LPH: 10-13-2012 at 03:04 PM.
LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:28 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Kesler is not any more of a 40 goal scorer than Chechoo is a 50 goal scorer. You can't compare a 2011 Kesler in a poll involving him because that will most likely be his career year. If I had to bet it would be against Kesler hitting 40 goals again, but instead hovering around 30-35 at the most and I have absolutely no problem with that. It's koivu and to the OP please take the time and check if there are identical polls before posting, seriously.

also, Kessy? Really?
No one is arguing that Kesler is a 40 goal player... If he was then he would be winning this poll by far. You should try reading properly.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:37 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Koivu has put up seasons with

.848 ppg = 69 points
.88 ppg = 72 points
.87 ppg = 71 points
.8 ppg = 66 points

Meanwhile Kesler has put up

.31 gpg = 26 goals
.30 gpg = 25 goals
.5 gpg = 41 goals
.285 gpg = 23 goals

I'd say its far more accurate to say that Koivu produces at 70 points clip then saying that Kesler is a 40 goal scorer. And thats not even mentioning how Kesler is on a team that is way better offensively.
Fair point, I agree that it is much more accurate to say that Koivu produces at a 70 pace than Kesler produces at a 40 goal pace. However the fact still remains that they've each only done that once. (Kesler having two 70 point seasons under his belt).

Also the fact that you have to use PPG to "prorate" Koivu's production shows that he isn't very durable. Despite Kesler having 3 surgeries in the past 2 years, he's only missed 5 regular season games. (Although his play suffered as a result of coming back too soon).

Like I said, arguments can be made for both, I feel that Koivu has greater offensive talents, but Keslers defense is slightly better than Koivu's. Once you factor in determination, extra gears, and durability, it's a very close call.

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:15 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I voted for Koivu, however I would also say when healthy Kesler is very close.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Kesler.

The only knock on him is he's had a bad injury but the extra games he plays as opposed to Koivu (in the playoffs) has taken a toll on him.
The other Knock on him, he doesn't use his linemates, and tries to force everything himslef. Maybe that's because his line mates suck though..

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote