HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Sweden Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Hockeyfrilla

vCash: 500
Kronwall is a lock for me.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:53 PM
MissingNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
Kronwall probably shouldn't be on the team at all and if he is he is a third pairing guy. Karlsson, OEL, Hedman, Edler, Enström are all better and Larsson and Brodin will probably surpass him by then. Kronwall can throw ugly hits and that's it; he is a role player in the D and should be a 7th defender if anything.
no Niklas Hjalmarsson?

Old
09-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
They are not very popular in this country, mainly because they never play for the national team, sometimes vancouver goes far in the playoffs but many years it's a "no thanks" due to "family reasons" or one of them wants to go but the other doesn't and they're ****ed up and have to do things together all the time so the other one declines.

And then stuff like marchand punches sedin 4-5 times and he doesn't do anything, that angers people, they are like little girls in many swedes' eyes.
Yes but they are also fantastic hockey players, lets not forget.

They have long way to reach icon status in Sweden though.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
LeX4cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Franzén-Zetterberg-Eriksson
Landeskog-Bäckström-Berglund
Sedin-Sedin-Hörnqvist
Steen-Johansson-Hagelin

Karlsson-OEL
Edler-Larsson
Kronwall-Hedman
Enström

Lundqvist
Markström
Lindbäck

I'm still not entirely happy with this team, it feels like we have a lot of players with the same kind of playstyle, but not many roleplayers/complement players. The D looks alright, and hopefully especially in 2 years, but a lot of our young defensemen are defensive liabilities at the moment. I pushed up Kronwall from a 7th D-spot because I think he'll still be very useful by 2014 (even though he had a bad WC) and his experience and leadership will be worth it. I'm also in for trading out Enström for a big pylon defenseman like Ericsson, someone big who can clean up in front of our net.

I definitely liked what I saw from Franzén-Zetterberg-Eriksson, so if possible I'd like to keep that line. Berglund can also be moved to a centre position when needed. Preferably the Sedins won't play on the first line as they seem to shrink with increased responsibility.
Lol at the 2 of the last 3 art ross and mvp/lindsay winners playing on the 3rd line for team Sweden

Old
09-19-2012, 04:11 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Olympic Team:
Landeskog - Backstrom - Eriksson
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Franzen
Johansson - Zetterberg - Silfverberg
Steen - Berglund - Hornqvist
Hagelin

Karlsson - Hedman
Edler - Ekman-Larsson
Kronwall - Larsson
Enstrom

Lundqvist
Markstrom
Enroth

Old
10-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Carlzner

Zetterberg-Backstrom-Eriksson
Sedin-Sedin-Franzen
Steen-Berglund-Landeskog
Silfverberg-Johansson-Hagelin

Karlsson-Edler
OEL-Hedman
Kronwall-Larsson
Enstrom

Lundqvist
Lindback
Enroth

Old
10-14-2012, 03:33 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

You guys are getting a little old up front. Time for a youth movement - last couple drafts will help. The big ice will work in your favour tho.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
You guys are getting a little old up front. Time for a youth movement - last couple drafts will help. The big ice will work in your favour tho.
Not older than we usually are I would say. There have already been quite a lot of retirements of prominent Swedish hockey players during the last 4-5 years (there always is though of course, old go and new come).

Old
10-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Not older than last time we won gold.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:39 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
Not older than last time we won gold.
In 2006, some of your best players were in their prime - Sedins, Zetterberg, etc. You had a very nice, deep mix of young and old.

This time all your best offensive players will be in their mid 30's - a player's ability to score drops off like a stone after his 20's.
I don't think 2014 will be your year. The top three teams will likely be Canada, the U.S. and Russia.

In the last couple years you have produced many top young prospects. If the pros play in Korea, the best teams will be Canada, Sweden and Finland.
In 2018, both Russia and the American's best players will be in their 30's - will few prospects able to step up and take their place at a high level.

At the end of the day, hockey is now a young person's game.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 10-14-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old
10-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Huffman

The Sedins are certainly not worse now than they were in 2006 and they will still be PPG players at least a couple of years ahead. Zetterberg will also be a very good player in 2014, he is also often dominant while playing for the national team. Eriksson will be in his prime and so will Backstrom and other options like Berglund and Steen. Landeskog will also be there. At least one of Nyquist, Järnkrok, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Forsberg and Lindholm should be a productive NHL player by that time. Good offense wins you games but defense wins you tournaments, our D will be better than ever before and Lundqvist can steal a game or two.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:23 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

^^^^^^

Fair enough.

The big ice will certainly help you and hurt Canada and the Americans. Still, I don't see Sweden as one of the top 3 teams in 2014 but what do I know...
not much.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Thesensation19

USA is not as talented as most of the European teams plus Canada but if they continue to build teams like they did in 2010 then they can be a top 3 team. IF... big statement. Actually implementing role players and utilizing their strengths to win games. Hense why Callahan was chosen and Drury even though many many and many fans and media members discouraged it. Because of their silver medal and one goal away from the gold, Brian Burke should have no issue getting the manager job again and I trust him.

But as for Sweden, its okay to guess they wont be a top 3 team but there def a top 5 team and improving. If your a top 5, theres no reason why you dont have a good chance at getting a medal.

Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin have proved to be top 10 players in the world since 2010 and I think they are def more mature players. Henrik Lundqvist is one of the best in the world, as long as hes in net the Swedes always have a chance at gold. Kronwall is also improving fully as a player and as he continues w the red wings he will surely grow more. Lidstrom leaving is not good but Hedman is coming up. Dont forget Backstrom, Hagelin, Karlsson

Old
10-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
They were the go to guys in the most important game and it was their one bad game? Kinda the sedins lifestory wouldn't you agree? That alone is definitely a reason to not bring them, you can be as much of an allstar as you want but if you dont use that skill when it matters then what good are you? Players who gets better when it matters are better then "regular-season-stars" even if they are less skilled.... downgrade?
In the Olympic quarterfinals, the Sedins were matched up against one Zdeno Chara. In the Stanley Cup finals, they were playing against ... Zdeno Chara. Coincidence? Daniel and Henrik have actually had playoff success whenever they weren't matched up against a world-class shutdown defenceman (see Canucks/Sharks series in 2011, or the 2009/2010 playoffs).

I believe their play does take a bit of a dip in the playoffs compared to regular season, but not so much that they're worthless in pressure situations.

As long as Bäckström is healthy, the Sedins may not even be facing the top defencemen from other teams in 2014. Also, the defence is looking much stronger than it was in 2010 (out: Tallinder, Murray, Öhlund; in: Ekman-Larsson, Karlsson, Edler), and Lundqvist will be solid in goal. In this Canadian's opinion, Sweden is looking very strong for Sochi.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:23 AM
joe89

Yeah our 2010 defense really wasn't especially good and Lidstrom had a poor showing aswell by his standards. Edler also wasn't named which was a mistake. We were really in the middle of two generations last Olympics. I mean, Homer was named initially and we had Modin, Weinhandl and Pahlsson playing aswell as Forsberg on one leg. Alfredsson was still good in 2010, but other than him we're not losing anything while gaining a lot. It was still a good team, and they were favorites against Slovakia, but wouldn't have beaten Canada.

For 2014 I think the balance up front looks fine, but not spectacular, age-wise. If Landeskog, Zibanejad and F.Forsberg were a few years older(or whoever that will develop into stardom), I would've like it more. But Zetterberg is a beast on big ice and needless to say it should suit the Sedins.

Out: Forsberg, Alfredsson, Pahlsson, Modin, Weinhandl. (had 12 F's)
In: Landeskog, Steen, Berglund, Hagelin. Two spots up for grabs.

The identity of the back end is a bit more interesting, there needs to be set roles going in. For instance, Hedman can't come in with the likes of Karlsson, OEL and Enstrom on the team and pretend he's the answer offensively. Edler and Kronwall also like offense. I lack a true #1 penaltykiller, but liked Hjalmarsson's big ice display in the World Champs. I like the age structure, every single player is still trending upwards in respective career and quite a few will be at their peak.

Out: Lidstrom, Ohlund, Tallinder, Johansson, Oduya, Murray. (had 8 D's)
In: Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Edler, Hedman, Hjalmarsson.

Projected line up:
Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog
Franzen-Berglund-Steen
Hagelin-???????-Hornqvist
???????

Edler-Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson-Kronwall
Enstrom-Hjalmarsson
Hedman

Lundqvist
Lindback

Old
10-15-2012, 11:22 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

man...we need some grit upfront. landeskog and steen is only 2 players with grit. we need zibanejad and klingberg to have breakout season.

Old
10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
man...we need some grit upfront. landeskog and steen is only 2 players with grit. we need zibanejad and klingberg to have breakout season.
Define "grit". It's gonna be big ice and IIHF reffing, the only emphasis I'd put on it is hard work in the corners and driving the net. Franzen, Hagelin and Hornqvist will do that, too. I would love if Zibanejad could take that step and be the 4th line center though. But I wouldn't be at all suprised to see Lundqvist there, either.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Nihiliste

I think a D corps of

Edler - Karlsson
OEL - Kronwall
Enstrom - Hedman

with Lundqvist behind them would make any team a contender. Add in some very dangerous weapons up front in terms of Sedins, Backstrom, Loui, Landeskog, Zetterberg, et al and I think this could be a very good team depending on how the role players are filled out.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:44 AM
The Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Will Sedin sisters, Franzén and Zetterberg etc still be good players? Not sure...

Loui - Backstrom - Landeskog
Steen - Berglund - Hornqvist
Stalberg - Johansson - Hagelin
Zibanejad - Krüger - Silfverberg

Karlsson - OEL
Edler - Hedman
Enstrom - Larsson
LMAO.

This is an absolutely ridiculous post. Do you have any concept of time whatsoever?

The Olympics are a little over a year away, you think the Sedins and Z are going to be worse than Zibanejad, Kruger, Silfverberg, Stalberg, Hagelin, Steen??

That is the worst lineup I've ever seen posted for team Sweden.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:49 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Line View Post
LMAO.

This is an absolutely ridiculous post. Do you have any concept of time whatsoever?

The Olympics are a little over a year away, you think the Sedins and Z are going to be worse than Zibanejad, Kruger, Silfverberg, Stalberg, Hagelin, Steen??

That is the worst lineup I've ever seen posted for team Sweden.
I know. Not sure what is was thinking.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Spinkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Yeah our 2010 defense really wasn't especially good and Lidstrom had a poor showing aswell by his standards. Edler also wasn't named which was a mistake. We were really in the middle of two generations last Olympics. I mean, Homer was named initially and we had Modin, Weinhandl and Pahlsson playing aswell as Forsberg on one leg. Alfredsson was still good in 2010, but other than him we're not losing anything while gaining a lot. It was still a good team, and they were favorites against Slovakia, but wouldn't have beaten Canada.

For 2014 I think the balance up front looks fine, but not spectacular, age-wise. If Landeskog, Zibanejad and F.Forsberg were a few years older(or whoever that will develop into stardom), I would've like it more. But Zetterberg is a beast on big ice and needless to say it should suit the Sedins.

Out: Forsberg, Alfredsson, Pahlsson, Modin, Weinhandl. (had 12 F's)
In: Landeskog, Steen, Berglund, Hagelin. Two spots up for grabs.

The identity of the back end is a bit more interesting, there needs to be set roles going in. For instance, Hedman can't come in with the likes of Karlsson, OEL and Enstrom on the team and pretend he's the answer offensively. Edler and Kronwall also like offense. I lack a true #1 penaltykiller, but liked Hjalmarsson's big ice display in the World Champs. I like the age structure, every single player is still trending upwards in respective career and quite a few will be at their peak.

Out: Lidstrom, Ohlund, Tallinder, Johansson, Oduya, Murray. (had 8 D's)
In: Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Edler, Hedman, Hjalmarsson.

Projected line up:
Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog
Franzen-Berglund-Steen
???????

Edler-Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson-Kronwall
Enstrom-Hjalmarsson
Hedman

Lundqvist
Lindback
I like this, but if hedman doesn't improve I want Staffan Kronwall.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkis View Post
I like this, but if hedman doesn't improve I want Staffan Kronwall.
Hedman is already better than Staffan Kronwall. Believe me, I watch the KHL games. Staffan is good, but Hedman is a star here. And he's 8 years younger aswell.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:41 AM
Garl

Quote:
In 2006, some of your best players were in their prime - Sedins, Zetterberg, etc. You had a very nice, deep mix of young and old.

This time all your best offensive players will be in their mid 30's - a player's ability to score drops off like a stone after his 20's.
I don't think 2014 will be your year. The top three teams will likely be Canada, the U.S. and Russia.

In the last couple years you have produced many top young prospects. If the pros play in Korea, the best teams will be Canada, Sweden and Finland.
In 2018, both Russia and the American's best players will be in their 30's - will few prospects able to step up and take their place at a high level.

At the end of the day, hockey is now a young person's game.

In 2006 Sweden's best players were Lidstrom, Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredsson, Kenny Jonsson and Axelsson who were 35, 32, 34, 33, 31 and 30.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post

Projected line up:
Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog
Franzen-Berglund-Steen
???????

Edler-Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson-Kronwall
Enstrom-Hjalmarsson
Hedman

Lundqvist
Lindback
This team is better than the team in 2010.
The impact of Karlsson shouldn't be understated.
That kid is a force, and should be able to exploit the larger ice.

Also I feel Landeskog could be for Sweden, like Toews was for Canada in 2010.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:15 AM
weklof

I really liked the line of Johansson - Bäckström - Hörnqvist in Channel One Cup, it would be nice to keep it on for the Olympics. My team:

Henrik Lundqvist
Viktor Fasth
Jhonas Enroth

Erik Karlsson - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Tobias Enström - Niklas Kronwall (A)
Alexander Edler - Victor Hedman
Niklas Hjalmarsson

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Gabriel Landeskog (A)
Johan Franzén - Henrik Zetterberg (C) - Loui Eriksson
Marcus Johansson - Nicklas Bäckström - Patric Hörnqvist
Viktor Stålberg - Alexander Steen - Jakob Silfverberg
Patrik Berglund

Candidates G: Jacob Markström, Robin Lehner, Anders Lindbäck
Candidates D: Niklas Grossman, Adam Larsson, Carl Gunnarsson, Staffan Kronwall, Jonas Brodin
Candidates F: Carl Hagelin, Gustav Nyquist, Mikael Backlund, Carl Söderberg (if he keeps beasting the SEL), Joel Lundqvist (has been really good in the NT in a checking role).

I think the depth on F is quite low, we are just few injuries away from seriously having to consider guys like Omark and Samuelsson. Here's hoping that some young gun like Zibanejad, Lindholm, Pääjärvi, or Forsberg steps up and has a breaktrough season. But at the moment, none of them has shown enough to be seriously considered.

Closed Thread