HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|12-8-0-1|Matt Frattin Appreciation Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Randy8706

vCash: 500
Iirc all of our guys were listed on readings website

Old
10-12-2012, 05:34 PM
67Cup

Just a few semi-connected thoughts on the Marlies...

I think in a normal year, an AHL team with this kind of talent would be a strong, strong bet for the Calder Cup, but in this lockout season, it may be that other organization's teams will be just as strong or stronger because of players who would normally be in the NHL. For example, nobody on the Marlies will be as good as RNH, IMO. Whatever is the case, the Marlies will be fascinating to follow.

I travelled from my home in Vancouver to see the Marlies in the playoffs against Abbotsford. It was high intensity, skilled hockey, with something important at stake. I think the Leafs decided that those kind of games are very significant for their prospects' development. It is normally the case, and I think it will be the case even during a lockout, that AHL veterans contribute the most to a winning team. The Leafs signed or re-signed some very strong veteran AHLers, Aucoin in particular, but a number of other players as well. If playing games that matter is the best thing for development, I don't think we prospect junkies should complain if minor league veterans are played ahead of some of our favourite prospects. A winning culture has to be developed somewhere in the Leafs' organization and this would be an excellent place to start. That's good, not just for the gate or for TV ratings, but for the prospects themselves. Make the prospects struggle for their ice time.

The ECHL will also be stronger than usual this year. There will be no stigma this year to playing at that level. With a very abbreviated exhibition season, the roster hasn't had a chance to sort itself out yet. When that does happen, I think it would be best to send some of the extras down to that level, including some most of think are very good prospects. I think it is possible that three second rounders will be in the ECHL, at least at times.

I think the most interesting decision for the Leafs may be with respect to Jamie Devane. One of the posters in this thread with a mancrush on Devane says he might be the AHL heavyweight champion. That may be a little premature, but judging by the clips, he looks promising in that department. That means, I think, that he could be useful to the Marlies in that area, already, even with no improvement in his all around hockey skills. But maybe he would develop better as a player, rather than just an enforcer, getting a regular shift in the ECHL, rather than sitting in the pressbox at the AHL level or getting a few fourth line shifts a game. It will be interesting to see what the Leafs choose to do.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:39 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Toronto Marlies vs. Teh Rochester Americans (5pm - TV: SPORTSNET ONE)

Get into the AHL and the Marlies!
kThanks

GET INTO THE AHL AND THE MARLIES
KTHANKS

vs.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Morlesio14*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
aucoin said he and kadri will be paired with ashton, plus mckegg will be in top 6
Yeah, wrote this before I found out the actual lines

Old
10-13-2012, 03:55 PM
JMcLeaf
Culture change

vCash: 3936

Old
10-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Just a few semi-connected thoughts on the Marlies...

I think in a normal year, an AHL team with this kind of talent would be a strong, strong bet for the Calder Cup, but in this lockout season, it may be that other organization's teams will be just as strong or stronger because of players who would normally be in the NHL. For example, nobody on the Marlies will be as good as RNH, IMO. Whatever is the case, the Marlies will be fascinating to follow.

I travelled from my home in Vancouver to see the Marlies in the playoffs against Abbotsford. It was high intensity, skilled hockey, with something important at stake. I think the Leafs decided that those kind of games are very significant for their prospects' development. It is normally the case, and I think it will be the case even during a lockout, that AHL veterans contribute the most to a winning team. The Leafs signed or re-signed some very strong veteran AHLers, Aucoin in particular, but a number of other players as well. If playing games that matter is the best thing for development, I don't think we prospect junkies should complain if minor league veterans are played ahead of some of our favourite prospects. A winning culture has to be developed somewhere in the Leafs' organization and this would be an excellent place to start. That's good, not just for the gate or for TV ratings, but for the prospects themselves. Make the prospects struggle for their ice time.

The ECHL will also be stronger than usual this year. There will be no stigma this year to playing at that level. With a very abbreviated exhibition season, the roster hasn't had a chance to sort itself out yet. When that does happen, I think it would be best to send some of the extras down to that level, including some most of think are very good prospects. I think it is possible that three second rounders will be in the ECHL, at least at times.

I think the most interesting decision for the Leafs may be with respect to Jamie Devane. One of the posters in this thread with a mancrush on Devane says he might be the AHL heavyweight champion. That may be a little premature, but judging by the clips, he looks promising in that department. That means, I think, that he could be useful to the Marlies in that area, already, even with no improvement in his all around hockey skills. But maybe he would develop better as a player, rather than just an enforcer, getting a regular shift in the ECHL, rather than sitting in the pressbox at the AHL level or getting a few fourth line shifts a game. It will be interesting to see what the Leafs choose to do.
I have no issue with some AHL vets on the team either.

Having two allstar level Cs that our other skilled players can work plays with is gold.

Leaders that actually play like real pros down in the A is priceless.

It will be refreshing to watch a team again that has capable tending and strength down the middle.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 50
If there's a full year lockout, this Marlies team could be great to watch come playoff time. The kids getting another chance to compete for the Calder cup, against even stiffer competition with NHL calibre players would be awesome for their development. There's a chance Rielly would be able to join the team down the stretch as well, once he's out of the playoffs.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:50 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Fort Wayne Komets
Fort Wayne has affiliation with Norfolk and Anaheim and have come and said they do not want to take on any of Toronto's forwards, as their own roster has been crowded by Anaheim's Norfolk guys.

So they rejected our three players. They are willing to affiliate with our defensemen though.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Fort Wayne has affiliation with Norfolk and Anaheim and have come and said they do not want to take on any of Toronto's forwards, as their own roster has been crowded by Anaheim's Norfolk guys.

So they rejected our three players. They are willing to affiliate with our defensemen though.
I doubt then we would have a deal with them.

10-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I have updated the title for the Marlies thread with the team record and GDT for the next game.

Any news from dallas?

Old
10-14-2012, 05:01 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

I want owuya to play the next game. Not saying scrivens played bad, but owuya needs a chance.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:04 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

just got back from the game.

that was awful. i said i'd do a writeup but there's not really a point - no one was good besides gardiner and ashton.

dallas pulling scrivens with 7 minutes to go left a bit of a sour taste with me too. especially after getting ANOTHER 2 powerplays after the 4th was scored into the open net. In the end it likely didnt make a difference, but it just seemed like a very short-sighted, not well thought out move to me.

2 kings scouts were sitting right behind me. didn't see scouts from any other teams. take from that what you want (probably nothing).

Old
10-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
I want owuya to play the next game. Not saying scrivens played bad, but owuya needs a chance.
I only saw a bit of the second but I don't know how scrivens so I really can't say. It might be upto dallas though again if he wants to make that shift.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post

that was awful. i said i'd do a writeup but there's not really a point - no one was good besides gardiner and ashton.

dallas pulling scrivens with 7 minutes to go left a bit of a sour taste with me too. especially after getting ANOTHER 2 powerplays after the 4th was scored into the open net. In the end it likely didnt make a difference, but it just seemed like a very short-sighted, not well thought out move to me.

2 kings scouts were sitting right behind me. didn't see scouts from any other teams. take from that what you want (probably nothing).
dunno whatever happened to the mobility and finish. Then again from the looks of it Pickard looked pretty epic.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:10 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
dunno whatever happened to the mobility and finish. Then again from the loks of it Pickard looked pretty epic.
the game was over within the 1st 10 minutes imo. Erie came out HARD, finishing every check, and forechecking like mad men. we were back on our toes for the entire 1st and never recovered.

when we did try to make plays happen, pucks weren't sitting, passes were in guys' feet, and shots were being blocked. just overall very frustrating. hard to argue with paying 14 bucks to see a hockey game, but somehow i still felt ripped haha.

barrie's goal and ashton's fight were nearly enough to make it worthwhile tho.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:11 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

It isn't like the Kings has an excess of good centermen is it?

Guess none of the Leafs' prospects are interested in moving to the Monarchs based on their finish today.

Just kidding don't take everything written here seriously.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
Old
10-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
the game was over within the 1st 10 minutes imo. Erie came out HARD, finishing every check, and forechecking like mad men. we were back on our toes for the entire 1st and never recovered.

when we did try to make plays happen, pucks weren't sitting, passes were in guys' feet, and shots were being blocked. just overall very frustrating. hard to argue with paying 14 bucks to see a hockey game, but somehow i still felt ripped haha.

I noticed this while watching at home as well. Erie was a few steps ahead of the Marlies all night long. They finished all their checks and were the first ones to loose pucks all game. Still early, and I imagine once the Marlies start gelling, they will take off.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Aplayaz2000

why dont we have a different thread for marlie games

Old
10-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Well let's just hope they realize not to underestimate an opponent and learned how to gel with each other more. Ashton from what it seems had more of a jump today which is good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
why dont we have a different thread for marlie games
We do, it's the Marlies GDT: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1271047

Old
10-14-2012, 06:21 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

ANybody have highlights to the Lake Erie game?

Old
10-14-2012, 06:38 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
ANybody have highlights to the Lake Erie game?
http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console

Old
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:

Kadri for Bernier trade resurfaces !!!!

Old
10-14-2012, 08:49 PM
WTFMAN99

The Marlies were making some really bad passes and not shooting when they had chances more often then not....Gardiner looked good, I like McKeggs hussle...but not a strong showing by most.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
correction. It's deshamps. we need our centers.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
LA would prefer Gardiner by a wide margin, but lukewarm on Bernier I don't see anything other than LA's core players they could offer us that would make me do this deal. Maybe the LA scouts were here for the marathon and didn't finish?

Closed Thread