HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|12-8-0-1|Matt Frattin Appreciation Thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2012, 05:32 PM
  #226
Randy8706
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Iirc all of our guys were listed on readings website

Randy8706 is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 05:34 PM
  #227
67Cup
Registered User
 
67Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,271
vCash: 500
Just a few semi-connected thoughts on the Marlies...

I think in a normal year, an AHL team with this kind of talent would be a strong, strong bet for the Calder Cup, but in this lockout season, it may be that other organization's teams will be just as strong or stronger because of players who would normally be in the NHL. For example, nobody on the Marlies will be as good as RNH, IMO. Whatever is the case, the Marlies will be fascinating to follow.

I travelled from my home in Vancouver to see the Marlies in the playoffs against Abbotsford. It was high intensity, skilled hockey, with something important at stake. I think the Leafs decided that those kind of games are very significant for their prospects' development. It is normally the case, and I think it will be the case even during a lockout, that AHL veterans contribute the most to a winning team. The Leafs signed or re-signed some very strong veteran AHLers, Aucoin in particular, but a number of other players as well. If playing games that matter is the best thing for development, I don't think we prospect junkies should complain if minor league veterans are played ahead of some of our favourite prospects. A winning culture has to be developed somewhere in the Leafs' organization and this would be an excellent place to start. That's good, not just for the gate or for TV ratings, but for the prospects themselves. Make the prospects struggle for their ice time.

The ECHL will also be stronger than usual this year. There will be no stigma this year to playing at that level. With a very abbreviated exhibition season, the roster hasn't had a chance to sort itself out yet. When that does happen, I think it would be best to send some of the extras down to that level, including some most of think are very good prospects. I think it is possible that three second rounders will be in the ECHL, at least at times.

I think the most interesting decision for the Leafs may be with respect to Jamie Devane. One of the posters in this thread with a mancrush on Devane says he might be the AHL heavyweight champion. That may be a little premature, but judging by the clips, he looks promising in that department. That means, I think, that he could be useful to the Marlies in that area, already, even with no improvement in his all around hockey skills. But maybe he would develop better as a player, rather than just an enforcer, getting a regular shift in the ECHL, rather than sitting in the pressbox at the AHL level or getting a few fourth line shifts a game. It will be interesting to see what the Leafs choose to do.

67Cup is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 10:39 AM
  #228
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Toronto Marlies vs. Teh Rochester Americans (5pm - TV: SPORTSNET ONE)

Get into the AHL and the Marlies!
kThanks






GET INTO THE AHL AND THE MARLIES
KTHANKS





vs.





ForSpareParts* is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 12:20 PM
  #229
Morlesio14*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The 416
Country: North Korea
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
aucoin said he and kadri will be paired with ashton, plus mckegg will be in top 6
Yeah, wrote this before I found out the actual lines

Morlesio14* is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 03:55 PM
  #230
JMcLeaf
Culture change
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 18,132
vCash: 3936

JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 07:51 AM
  #231
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Just a few semi-connected thoughts on the Marlies...

I think in a normal year, an AHL team with this kind of talent would be a strong, strong bet for the Calder Cup, but in this lockout season, it may be that other organization's teams will be just as strong or stronger because of players who would normally be in the NHL. For example, nobody on the Marlies will be as good as RNH, IMO. Whatever is the case, the Marlies will be fascinating to follow.

I travelled from my home in Vancouver to see the Marlies in the playoffs against Abbotsford. It was high intensity, skilled hockey, with something important at stake. I think the Leafs decided that those kind of games are very significant for their prospects' development. It is normally the case, and I think it will be the case even during a lockout, that AHL veterans contribute the most to a winning team. The Leafs signed or re-signed some very strong veteran AHLers, Aucoin in particular, but a number of other players as well. If playing games that matter is the best thing for development, I don't think we prospect junkies should complain if minor league veterans are played ahead of some of our favourite prospects. A winning culture has to be developed somewhere in the Leafs' organization and this would be an excellent place to start. That's good, not just for the gate or for TV ratings, but for the prospects themselves. Make the prospects struggle for their ice time.

The ECHL will also be stronger than usual this year. There will be no stigma this year to playing at that level. With a very abbreviated exhibition season, the roster hasn't had a chance to sort itself out yet. When that does happen, I think it would be best to send some of the extras down to that level, including some most of think are very good prospects. I think it is possible that three second rounders will be in the ECHL, at least at times.

I think the most interesting decision for the Leafs may be with respect to Jamie Devane. One of the posters in this thread with a mancrush on Devane says he might be the AHL heavyweight champion. That may be a little premature, but judging by the clips, he looks promising in that department. That means, I think, that he could be useful to the Marlies in that area, already, even with no improvement in his all around hockey skills. But maybe he would develop better as a player, rather than just an enforcer, getting a regular shift in the ECHL, rather than sitting in the pressbox at the AHL level or getting a few fourth line shifts a game. It will be interesting to see what the Leafs choose to do.
I have no issue with some AHL vets on the team either.

Having two allstar level Cs that our other skilled players can work plays with is gold.

Leaders that actually play like real pros down in the A is priceless.

It will be refreshing to watch a team again that has capable tending and strength down the middle.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 11:10 AM
  #232
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 50
If there's a full year lockout, this Marlies team could be great to watch come playoff time. The kids getting another chance to compete for the Calder cup, against even stiffer competition with NHL calibre players would be awesome for their development. There's a chance Rielly would be able to join the team down the stretch as well, once he's out of the playoffs.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 11:50 AM
  #233
uncleben85
My face is my mask.
 
uncleben85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Fort Wayne Komets
Fort Wayne has affiliation with Norfolk and Anaheim and have come and said they do not want to take on any of Toronto's forwards, as their own roster has been crowded by Anaheim's Norfolk guys.

So they rejected our three players. They are willing to affiliate with our defensemen though.

uncleben85 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 11:54 AM
  #234
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Fort Wayne has affiliation with Norfolk and Anaheim and have come and said they do not want to take on any of Toronto's forwards, as their own roster has been crowded by Anaheim's Norfolk guys.

So they rejected our three players. They are willing to affiliate with our defensemen though.
I doubt then we would have a deal with them.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 04:49 PM
  #235
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,300
vCash: 500
I have updated the title for the Marlies thread with the team record and GDT for the next game.

Any news from dallas?

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 05:01 PM
  #236
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome
 
LeafsMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,018
vCash: 500
I want owuya to play the next game. Not saying scrivens played bad, but owuya needs a chance.

LeafsMonster is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 05:04 PM
  #237
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
just got back from the game.

that was awful. i said i'd do a writeup but there's not really a point - no one was good besides gardiner and ashton.

dallas pulling scrivens with 7 minutes to go left a bit of a sour taste with me too. especially after getting ANOTHER 2 powerplays after the 4th was scored into the open net. In the end it likely didnt make a difference, but it just seemed like a very short-sighted, not well thought out move to me.

2 kings scouts were sitting right behind me. didn't see scouts from any other teams. take from that what you want (probably nothing).

maplehawk is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 05:04 PM
  #238
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
I want owuya to play the next game. Not saying scrivens played bad, but owuya needs a chance.
I only saw a bit of the second but I don't know how scrivens so I really can't say. It might be upto dallas though again if he wants to make that shift.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 05:06 PM
  #239
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
just got back from the game.

that was awful. i said i'd do a writeup but there's not really a point - no one was good besides gardiner and ashton.

dallas pulling scrivens with 7 minutes to go left a bit of a sour taste with me too. especially after getting ANOTHER 2 powerplays after the 4th was scored into the open net. In the end it likely didnt make a difference, but it just seemed like a very short-sighted, not well thought out move to me.

2 kings scouts were sitting right behind me. didn't see scouts from any other teams. take from that what you want (probably nothing).
dunno whatever happened to the mobility and finish. Then again from the looks of it Pickard looked pretty epic.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 05:10 PM
  #240
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
dunno whatever happened to the mobility and finish. Then again from the loks of it Pickard looked pretty epic.
the game was over within the 1st 10 minutes imo. Erie came out HARD, finishing every check, and forechecking like mad men. we were back on our toes for the entire 1st and never recovered.

when we did try to make plays happen, pucks weren't sitting, passes were in guys' feet, and shots were being blocked. just overall very frustrating. hard to argue with paying 14 bucks to see a hockey game, but somehow i still felt ripped haha.

barrie's goal and ashton's fight were nearly enough to make it worthwhile tho.

maplehawk is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 05:11 PM
  #241
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 58,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
just got back from the game.

that was awful. i said i'd do a writeup but there's not really a point - no one was good besides gardiner and ashton.

dallas pulling scrivens with 7 minutes to go left a bit of a sour taste with me too. especially after getting ANOTHER 2 powerplays after the 4th was scored into the open net. In the end it likely didnt make a difference, but it just seemed like a very short-sighted, not well thought out move to me.

2 kings scouts were sitting right behind me. didn't see scouts from any other teams. take from that what you want (probably nothing).
It isn't like the Kings has an excess of good centermen is it?

Guess none of the Leafs' prospects are interested in moving to the Monarchs based on their finish today.

Just kidding don't take everything written here seriously.

__________________
http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/ps...e_corsi_issues

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 05:11 PM
  #242
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
the game was over within the 1st 10 minutes imo. Erie came out HARD, finishing every check, and forechecking like mad men. we were back on our toes for the entire 1st and never recovered.

when we did try to make plays happen, pucks weren't sitting, passes were in guys' feet, and shots were being blocked. just overall very frustrating. hard to argue with paying 14 bucks to see a hockey game, but somehow i still felt ripped haha.

barrie's goal and ashton's fight were nearly enough to make it worthwhile tho.
I noticed this while watching at home as well. Erie was a few steps ahead of the Marlies all night long. They finished all their checks and were the first ones to loose pucks all game. Still early, and I imagine once the Marlies start gelling, they will take off.

Crispy Crust is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 05:20 PM
  #243
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,240
vCash: 500
why dont we have a different thread for marlie games

Aplayaz2000 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 05:23 PM
  #244
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
the game was over within the 1st 10 minutes imo. Erie came out HARD, finishing every check, and forechecking like mad men. we were back on our toes for the entire 1st and never recovered.

when we did try to make plays happen, pucks weren't sitting, passes were in guys' feet, and shots were being blocked. just overall very frustrating. hard to argue with paying 14 bucks to see a hockey game, but somehow i still felt ripped haha.

barrie's goal and ashton's fight were nearly enough to make it worthwhile tho.
Well let's just hope they realize not to underestimate an opponent and learned how to gel with each other more. Ashton from what it seems had more of a jump today which is good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
why dont we have a different thread for marlie games
We do, it's the Marlies GDT: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1271047

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 06:21 PM
  #245
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
ANybody have highlights to the Lake Erie game?

S E P H is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 06:38 PM
  #246
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk
 
bansheebeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
ANybody have highlights to the Lake Erie game?
http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console

bansheebeat is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
  #247
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
just got back from the game.

that was awful. i said i'd do a writeup but there's not really a point - no one was good besides gardiner and ashton.

dallas pulling scrivens with 7 minutes to go left a bit of a sour taste with me too. especially after getting ANOTHER 2 powerplays after the 4th was scored into the open net. In the end it likely didnt make a difference, but it just seemed like a very short-sighted, not well thought out move to me.

2 kings scouts were sitting right behind me. didn't see scouts from any other teams. take from that what you want (probably nothing).
Kadri for Bernier trade resurfaces !!!!

ForSpareParts* is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 08:49 PM
  #248
WTFMAN99
Registered User
 
WTFMAN99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,610
vCash: 500
The Marlies were making some really bad passes and not shooting when they had chances more often then not....Gardiner looked good, I like McKeggs hussle...but not a strong showing by most.

WTFMAN99 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
  #249
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Kadri for Bernier trade resurfaces !!!!
correction. It's deshamps. we need our centers.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
  #250
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Kadri for Bernier trade resurfaces !!!!
LA would prefer Gardiner by a wide margin, but lukewarm on Bernier I don't see anything other than LA's core players they could offer us that would make me do this deal. Maybe the LA scouts were here for the marathon and didn't finish?

The Mentalist is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.