HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf - next contracts

Old
10-14-2012, 11:45 AM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
Why do people think it's so easy for Anaheim to re-sign Getzlaf and Perry? They're losing money. They can't afford to re-sign two guys to 100 million+ contracts each. It's not going to happen. And if one goes, the other might just because they might both need to re-sign to stay.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Why do people think it's so easy for Anaheim to re-sign Getzlaf and Perry? They're losing money. They can't afford to re-sign two guys to 100 million+ contracts each. It's not going to happen. And if one goes, the other might just because they might both need to re-sign to stay.
1. The Ducks are not loosing anywhere close to other franchises. We are loosing 5-10 a year (if I remember correctly) While oither teams are loosing 20-30 mil a year. The team was bought for 75 mil in adn was appraised at 200+ a few years ago. Even if the ducks lose 10 mil for the next 10 years the owner still comes out on top. Stop acting like you know their financial situation. The Owner is one of the richest men in the world and is committed to building hockey in Southern California.

2. Contract lengths will be limited in the next CBA so no need to talk 100+ mil because that isnt happening. BUT you are right, they cannot affford to give lifetime contracts.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:52 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:

2. Contract lengths will be limited in the next CBA so no need to talk 100+ mil because that isnt happening. BUT you are right, they cannot affford to give lifetime contracts.
Why do people keep saying this? Because the owners asked for it? It's not gonna happen. The owners only care about the HRR % split. The only demanded everything else so they have something to concede to the players for taking less money. No way players accept the contract limitations and take less money.

The new cba might be friendlier in that the cap will be lower. But megadeals are going no where and if Anaheim is counting on that to sign their players I have a feeling you guys are gonna be disappointed

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:00 PM
drew5580

Buffalo will certainly be in the mix, especially Getzlaf. we offered Parise and Sutter 100 mill each and made the crazy offer for Doan so i think we'd def be willing to over pay a little bit for either one of these guys.

drew5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:48 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
1. The Ducks are not loosing anywhere close to other franchises. We are loosing 5-10 a year (if I remember correctly) While oither teams are loosing 20-30 mil a year. The team was bought for 75 mil in adn was appraised at 200+ a few years ago. Even if the ducks lose 10 mil for the next 10 years the owner still comes out on top. Stop acting like you know their financial situation. The Owner is one of the richest men in the world and is committed to building hockey in Southern California.

Ironic comment considering I claimed they were losing money and you agreed.

And you have no idea if contract lengths will be limited. So maybe you should stop acting like you know what will happen. The PA will fight that hard. The Owners are not going to get everything they are asking for. Their main objective is to bring down that 57% number the players have in terms of salary on overall revenues.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:16 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Ironic comment considering I claimed they were losing money and you agreed.

And you have no idea if contract lengths will be limited. So maybe you should stop acting like you know what will happen. The PA will fight that hard. The Owners are not going to get everything they are asking for. Their main objective is to bring down that 57% number the players have in terms of salary on overall revenues.
this is ironic coming from you

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:22 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
this is ironic coming from you
It's going to be very tough on a money-losing franchise to give out 1 contract like that, let alone two.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Why do people keep saying this? Because the owners asked for it? It's not gonna happen. The owners only care about the HRR % split. The only demanded everything else so they have something to concede to the players for taking less money. No way players accept the contract limitations and take less money.

The new cba might be friendlier in that the cap will be lower. But megadeals are going no where and if Anaheim is counting on that to sign their players I have a feeling you guys are gonna be disappointed
Bettman , Daly, and others are on record as feeling that retirement contracts are cap circumvention and need to be eliminated for the league's long term health. Any of the players not in the top 1% should also want them gone as the guys getting huge bonuses wind up costing everyone else escrow money as the total player compensation is calculated in the (currently) 57% but that player only pays escrow on their salary. I wonder how much every other player in the league feels about paying for Weber, Suter, and Parise's guaranteed bonus money out of their escrow if we have a season this year.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
It's going to be very tough on a money-losing franchise to give out 1 contract like that, let alone two.
Well, finally being eligible for profit sharing in the new CBA should help ease that burden, shouldn't it?

Old
10-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Bettman , Daly, and others are on record as feeling that retirement contracts are cap circumvention and need to be eliminated for the league's long term health. Any of the players not in the top 1% should also want them gone as the guys getting huge bonuses wind up costing everyone else escrow money as the total player compensation is calculated in the (currently) 57% but that player only pays escrow on their salary. I wonder how much every other player in the league feels about paying for Weber, Suter, and Parise's guaranteed bonus money out of their escrow if we have a season this year. :laugh:
Are the bonuses paid out of the escrow accounts?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:36 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Good thing we have one of the richest owners in the league then right? you do know he owns honda center and makes money hand over fist, because of the fact he owns the team? No i'm sure you didn't know that

Old
10-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Are the bonuses paid out of the escrow accounts?
No, but the bonuses are calculated as part of total player compensation, and the bonus money doesn't pay into escrow, only the salary. Therefore the money to pay for any overages of the 57% is coming out of the escrow paid by all the other players.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Italian President

Why would Perry play with anyone but Getzlaf, they've been togethertheir whole careers and have no intention of changing that, Getzlaf has no intention of leaving, he's a family man and he set down his roots, either way, they love the team too.

Italian President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian President View Post
Why would Perry play with anyone but Getzlaf, they've been togethertheir whole careers and have no intention of changing that, Getzlaf has no intention of leaving, he's a family man and he set down his roots, either way, they love the team too.
I doubt Perry bases his entire decision on whether to stay or go on what Getzlaf does. I mean(and I'm not trying to irritate Ducks fans, just an example) people were saying Schultz would sign in Toronto because Garidner is his BFF, but a lot more goes into consideration of where a player spends his career.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:08 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I doubt Perry bases his entire decision on whether to stay or go on what Getzlaf does. I mean(and I'm not trying to irritate Ducks fans, just an example) people were saying Schultz would sign in Toronto because Garidner is his BFF, but a lot more goes into consideration of where a player spends his career.
Exactly. That's not something that should be irritating or annoying as long as you're talking respectfully. It's the "They have no chance of staying in Anaheim" comments that I imagine Ducks fans find annoying. Perry is going to make his decision based on what is best for Corey Perry in the future. The same goes for Getzlaf. It might be in Anaheim, it might not be.

I think how the CBA ends up will be a big factor. In theory they could still be RFAs under a new CBA if the owners somehow get UFA age increased. If contract lengths and big bonuses are eliminated, advantages that other teams might have had in trying to sign them over Anaheim will be gone. I'd imagine Perry and Getzlaf do have to wonder about the state of the forwards if Selanne and Koivu are gone. Anaheim has some good talented forward prospects but they're not proven. Maybe a mini-rebuild/re-tool isn't attractive to Getzlaf and Perry. A CBA that doesn't allow Anaheim to get revenue sharing money (because they're technically in the LA media market) and bring the cap down would be a bit of a disaster for Anaheim. I don't think it's out of line to suggest that where they're spending right now is at the loss level that the owner is comfortable with. So if they don't get revenue sharing money or a lower cap, it's going to be hard for them to spend near the top of the cap, incurring greater losses. Thus it becomes harder to win because you aren't going to have the most talented roster. A CBA that isn't going to help the Ducks much financially would probably hurt the Ducks in the eyes of Perry and Getzlaf.

As for what a player has said or hasn't said publicly, I don't read much into it. Players are going to say how much they like the city they're playing in and that they want to win there. No player is going to say something along the lines of, "I can't wait until I can be a UFA" or "I really hope I get a big offer from such and such a team" even if they're thinking those things.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Italian President

The comments that anoy me, are the Toronto fans blindly pretending that it's a forgone conclusion that they're both going there, despite there being almost no chance of that.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:37 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I just find it hilarious how all the Anaheim cap experts come out of the woodwork whenever this topic is discussed.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:40 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
The comments that anoy me, are the Toronto fans blindly pretending that it's a forgone conclusion that they're both going there, despite there being almost no chance of that.
Where are all these posts from Toronto fans saying this, and where does it show or say that there is almost no chance Perry goes to Toronto? The comments that annoy me are from poster that make false claims, and do not have the maturity level or intlellect to have a reasonable discusion.

New Liskeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Italian President

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Where are all these posts from Toronto fans saying this, and where does it show or say that there is almost no chance Perry goes to Toronto? The comments that annoy me are from poster that make false claims, and do not have the maturity level or intlellect to have a reasonable discusion.
Name me one good reason Perry signs with Toronto. One.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:14 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
I just find it hilarious how all the Anaheim cap experts come out of the woodwork whenever this topic is discussed.
lolz they lose money so obviously they can't afford them with a multi billionaire owner

Old
10-14-2012, 07:25 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
They offer the most money.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:26 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
This is silly. Money talks. He can definitely leave.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:26 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Maybe Perry wants to work with Burke again.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:27 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Good thing we have one of the richest owners in the league then right? you do know he owns honda center and makes money hand over fist, because of the fact he owns the team? No i'm sure you didn't know that
And that means what exactly? I can provide countless examples of rich owners who don't spend money.

Just because they have the money doesn't mean they will spend it on an already money-losing operation and therefore lose much more money.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is silly. Money talks. He can definitely leave.
No, what's silly is you missing the point. His point wasn't that Getzlaf couldn't leave, but that it's likely he doesn't leave. You keep insisting that this is about money, and I can't help but think it's because you feel your team can offer the most lucrative contract, but that's not the only motivating factor for a player to sign with a team.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote