HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 153: Silva vs Bonnar

Old
10-14-2012, 02:04 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Seems like a fair deal. Dana will let Anderson compete in the Olympics if he agrees to fight Jones first.
Not at all what he said but okay

He said he'd "talk" to him about both but that's it.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Jasper

I'm a huge Silva fan but can see why he wouldn't want to fight Jones.. Silva is 37 and Jones is a beast at LHW. It'd be interesting but would likely ruin Silva's legacy in my opinion.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Not at all what he said but okay

He said he'd "talk" to him about both but that's it.
I know what he said. I'm just saying it seems like a good compromise. Anything to get him to take the Jones fight.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:42 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Fitch vs. Silva was a great fight.

Nice to see Fitch get a Fight of the Night bonus.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Dylonus

Best fight was by far the Fitch fight. Amazing fight back and forth. I was almost convinced that Fitch was going to get choked out in the 2nd.

Dylonus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:02 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Best fight was by far the Fitch fight. Amazing fight back and forth. I was almost convinced that Fitch was going to get choked out in the 2nd.
Same.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:13 AM
Spawn

Great night of fights.

They should throw Maia up against Fitch. If he gets through Fitch he's right in line for a title shot. Maia looked frighteningly powerful tonight. Took Story down like it was nothing and just about popped his head off. So happy to see him back to grappling opposed to trying to stand and bang with guys. No one in the UFC would want to mess with Maia on the ground. He's just so slick.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Zodiac

what a joke of a fight Silva/Bonnar was ...could see those results coming a mile away.

and Silva would destroy GSP ...and i'd say he'd take the head off JJones pretty easy, too.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:39 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
what a joke of a fight Silva/Bonnar was ...could see those results coming a mile away.

and Silva would destroy GSP ...and i'd say he'd take the head off JJones pretty easy, too.
Agree with first part.

I'd have Silva over GSP as well, but I'd take Jones over Silva, myself.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:03 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
Agree with first part.

I'd have Silva over GSP as well, but I'd take Jones over Silva, myself.
I will be pretty pissed if we get a GSP vs Silva fight.

Georges has pretty much no chance imo. Why fight a guy who fights at light heavy weight and wins there? That's crazy.

I think Silva could beat Jones fairly easily. His only concern would be getting taken down and having to endure the nasty Jones elbows. Its a dangerous fight for him to take and that's why he most likely will shy away from it.

Instead he will clown the fighters he is willing to square off with. He ducked a second fight with Sonnen and now he says he doesnt want to fight Weidman. Why is that? Because he might lose? For a guy who has been champion for as long as he has, he sure doesnt act like a champion.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:48 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Georges has pretty much no chance imo. Why fight a guy who fights at light heavy weight and wins there? That's crazy.

I think Silva could beat Jones fairly easily. His only concern would be getting taken down and having to endure the nasty Jones elbows. Its a dangerous fight for him to take and that's why he most likely will shy away from it.

Instead he will clown the fighters he is willing to square off with. He ducked a second fight with Sonnen and now he says he doesnt want to fight Weidman. Why is that? Because he might lose? For a guy who has been champion for as long as he has, he sure doesnt act like a champion.
Ducked a second fight with Sonnen? Weird, I thought I watched that.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't care about these superfights that much. Jones, Silva, and GSP are so natural for the weight classes they are in that making someone move up or down seems unneeded. Have Silva fight Bisping next, then the Boetsch/Weidman winner. GSP and Jones have other options too.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Qrispy

I like GSP as much as the next guy but he'd have no chance against Silva. Jones would have a good chance because of his frame and wrestling but, on the feet, I would give the striking advantage to Silva.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Captain_Cunney

What an exciting card, lots of great finishes.

That knee was devastating, pure awesome. I really thought Bonnar would hang around with his durability, body shots own.

Really a big fan of Nog & Maia, it was great to see such vintage performances from both. Maia could make some real waves at WW.

Fitch has always been an animal, hopefully he stays aggressive going forward.

Phil Davis also looked a lot better. His TDs off strikes & counters were sooo smooth for the most part.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:26 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Only way Silva stands a chance is if he doesn't get taken down or ends it before there's ever an attempted take down. I see the latter as the only legitimate option - I think Jones wrecks him. Size and length would be too much.
I think Jones wins that fight as well. Bonnar is a big man for sure but his wresting is poor. If Jones gets Silva against the cage he is taking him down and throwing those elbows. Silva might be able to pull off a submission down there but he could simply get smashed as well.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:30 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
IMO Silva would beat GSP he is just too big and too fast for GSP. On the other side of things Jones vs Silva would be a closer fight...interesting that Jones couldn't finish Bonnar like Silva did.
Jones vs Bonnar was in January of 2009. He has done some serious improving since then.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:01 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:

Because Weidman has no name. Hardcore fans who watch every event and are aware of the up-and-comers know that he's good, but that's about it. If he beats Tim Boetsch in January we'll likely see the Silva/Weidman fight.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:22 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

How can people say GSP has no chance. Silva has been laid and prayed on by a tiny 155er with no where near GSP's skill or athletic ability.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
How can people say GSP has no chance. Silva has been laid and prayed on by a tiny 155er with no where near GSP's skill or athletic ability.
Who?

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:51 PM
m9

Quote:
You always bring this up, and I just shake my head every time. A fight that happened over 12 years ago when a guy was just starting his career is your reference point? Are you the same person you were 12 years ago?

GSP can win the fight, but bringing this fight up as any sort of reasoning why is just a joke.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:07 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
You always bring this up, and I just shake my head every time. A fight that happened over 12 years ago when a guy was just starting his career is your reference point? Are you the same person you were 12 years ago?

GSP can win the fight, but bringing this fight up as any sort of reasoning why is just a joke.
Well yes, just taller and heavier .

All I'm saying with this is, it's the first of many fights that show GSP could beat Silva.

He gets laid on for 20 minutes by Azerado at 155.

He got laid on and subbed by Daiju Takase.

He got laid on by Lutter for two round, too bad Lutter gassed.

Hey got laid on by Sonnen for 5 rounds and almost took away the title.

The only way Silva has been legit beaten (The flying heelhook and the DQ don't count) has been when he's been wrestle******. And GSP is supposed to be the best on the planet at that.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:33 PM
m9

Quote:
Well yes, just taller and heavier .

All I'm saying with this is, it's the first of many fights that show GSP could beat Silva.

He gets laid on for 20 minutes by Azerado at 155.

He got laid on and subbed by Daiju Takase.

He got laid on by Lutter for two round, too bad Lutter gassed.

Hey got laid on by Sonnen for 5 rounds and almost took away the title.

The only way Silva has been legit beaten (The flying heelhook and the DQ don't count) has been when he's been wrestle******. And GSP is supposed to be the best on the planet at that.
Then that's fine, bring up all of these fights. I agree there's a formula there that could get GSP the win.

Don't bring up a fight that was barely in this millennium when Silva had just started fighting, it adds nothing to a discussion about a fight that will take place in 2013.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

GSP got knocked out by a 5'6" welterweight who has a 68" reach. He stands no chance against a 6'2" middleweight with a 78" reach. He'll get lit up.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:34 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Because Weidman has no name. Hardcore fans who watch every event and are aware of the up-and-comers know that he's good, but that's about it. If he beats Tim Boetsch in January we'll likely see the Silva/Weidman fight.
So he fights Bonnar instead?

Whatever.

Anyone who follows the sport knows who Weidman is. Most know he is probably the best fighter next to Silva in the division too.

Silva would rather clown cans in the cage than fight someone who may present a challenge.

From now on I will be calling him little Fedor, or Lil' Fedor.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 08:19 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Chael Sonnen on Dave Herman, "He needs to sit down with his coach and ask 'Why don't I know the first thing about fighting?'"

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
So he fights Bonnar instead?

Whatever.

Anyone who follows the sport knows who Weidman is. Most know he is probably the best fighter next to Silva in the division too.

Silva would rather clown cans in the cage than fight someone who may present a challenge.

From now on I will be calling him little Fedor, or Lil' Fedor.
You might have a point if he was asking for a can but instead he's asking for GSP. Weidman might be a tougher fight because of the size but GSP is no can. Anderson/GSP won't be a joke like the Bonnar fight and it'll make Anderson a lot more money than a fight against Weidman. Most people also consider GSP to be the second best fighter in the world so beating him probably does more Anderson's legacy than beating Weidman.

Don't call him Lil' Fedor, just call him the GOAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Chael Sonnen on Dave Herman, "He needs to sit down with his coach and ask 'Why don't I know the first thing about fighting?'"
Awesome.