Notices

Official Sports Radio Thread Part 7

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Judge Smails
How 'bout a Fresca?

vCash: 500
Not going to bother searching for the link right now, but in Chad Finn's boston.com chat today he made it seem like Meterparel didn't "choose" to leave. Said he felt bad for him, contract was up.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Patrice37

Send a message via AIM to Patrice37
Just so everyone knows, Ordway took a massive pay cut after rating dropped

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_s..._with_ratings/

This being said, most of you would be shocked to hear that all of the hosts of every show on both station make into the 6 figures. The only exceptions I could see are the afternoon guys, especially Zolak and Merloni being ex-players with not much broadcasting on their resume.

They are professionals and no matter how much you may disagree with one or the other, they are good very good at what they do for the most part. They all have to prepare (except Felger who has confirmed he does very little) and there is a lot of work that goes into putting together a successful 4-hour radio show, of any topic.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Fenway

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Maybe he thinks he'll get the Patriots play by play gig
Dan Hoard who is currently the Bengals announcer will get Gil's job. His wife Peg Rusconi would be hired by Channel 4 in a heartbeat.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:32 AM
08SeaBass08
Lucic and Chong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I doubt he wants to end up like Pete Sheppard, pretty much useless.
A small correction. Pete Sheppard didn't become useless. He always was. Same for Meter.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:31 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice37 View Post
Just so everyone knows, Ordway took a massive pay cut after rating dropped

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_s..._with_ratings/

This being said, most of you would be shocked to hear that all of the hosts of every show on both station make into the 6 figures. The only exceptions I could see are the afternoon guys, especially Zolak and Merloni being ex-players with not much broadcasting on their resume.

They are professionals and no matter how much you may disagree with one or the other, they are good very good at what they do for the most part. They all have to prepare (except Felger who has confirmed he does very little) and there is a lot of work that goes into putting together a successful 4-hour radio show, of any topic.
I thought I heard TM say that Felger sends along reams of prep stuff for print out, almost daily.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Mancini0518

I heard a bit on the T&R show in which they found Felger's notes from the night before and read them on the air. It seems like he does a ton of prep and he sends stuff to everyone so they can all be on the same page. If anything it seemed like Mazz did very little to prepare for the show and Felger did it all.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Lets face it there is not a single sports forum where WEEI would do worse than here. They crapped on hockey for years and for that many of us including me will never give them a break and hold a grudge. Also, the morning shows political views alienate many including me again. That is two strikes against them to many.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:37 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Lets face it there is not a single sports forum where WEEI would do worse than here. They crapped on hockey for years and for that many of us including me will never give them a break and hold a grudge. Also, the morning shows political views alienate many including me again. That is two strikes against them to many.
Agreed, agreed, aaaaaand agreed.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:00 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Agreed, agreed, aaaaaand agreed.
This x2. I follow Dale on Twitter and whenever he tweets that he'll be filling in for Dennis and/or Callahan (preferably both), that is one of the very few times I'll actually switch over to 'EEI for a few minutes.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:07 PM
gorskic
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to gorskic Send a message via Yahoo to gorskic
Quote:
There's also the matter that, objectively, the station's gotten worse over the past few years.

D&H was the best thing they had going, wherein they kicked Dale to the curb, put Holley on PM drive with Jabba the Hutt's midget cousin, brought in Merloni and the unlistenable Mutnansky in the noon slot, and jostled all the other hosts around aside from D&C.

I went out to get gas this afternoon, and when I flipped on the radio I was treated to the rantings of this Minehane guy. I have no idea who he is, but... It was so bad. So, so bad.

10-14-2012, 06:51 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskic View Post
There's also the matter that, objectively, the station's gotten worse over the past few years.

D&H was the best thing they had going, wherein they kicked Dale to the curb, put Holley on PM drive with Jabba the Hutt's midget cousin, brought in Merloni and the unlistenable Mutnansky in the noon slot, and jostled all the other hosts around aside from D&C.

I went out to get gas this afternoon, and when I flipped on the radio I was treated to the rantings of this Minehane guy. I have no idea who he is, but... It was so bad. So, so bad.
Let's just say, Kirk and Haggs aren't exactly best friends.

Totally agree with you on D&H. Before 98.5 launched, they were the only show (largely because of Dale, but Holley could talk hockey for a bit as well) that gave the Bruins any attention. Even in their last few months, they would have Milbury on every week, and Chiarelli came on quite a few times as well. Before that, they would have guys like Savy and Kessel on every now and then. D&H complimented each other pretty well. Their last episode was bittersweet. They had a "toast to Dale" segment where they had a bunch of people call in (Ray Bourque was among a few former Bruins who did so, along with various members of the other local teams) and wish him well, but in Dale's final few seconds, when he was sounding off, you could tell he was trying to keep his emotions bottled up when he spoke.

http://audio.weei.com/a/37216416/dal...olley-show.htm

Old
10-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskic View Post

Minehane is the guy who said Jack Edwards should be fired.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:40 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Minehane is the guy who said Jack Edwards should be fired.
He's also the guy who said that it wouldn't be a big deal if they traded Dougie Hamilton. What's pretty humorous is that he apparently writes some occasional hockey columns for 'EEI, yet he doesn't know anything about the sport.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:14 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Someone who listens more than me said the political talk has stopped, via an edict from above. Even on the morning show. Don't know if it's true and don't care to find out.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:59 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Someone who listens more than me said the political talk has stopped, via an edict from above. Even on the morning show. Don't know if it's true and don't care to find out.
yes, edict from above...the hockey issues hurt this station as the Bruins were treated horrible for years and the Sports Hub understood that

Ordway's satirical on Hockey Talk a few years back was the 'jumping the shark' moment and really irked even the most forgiving like me

Old
10-15-2012, 07:40 PM
EverettMike

How was Felger today? Typical contrarian point of view?

He loves to be calm and reasonable after they blow a game in a ****** way but freak out after wins.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Fenway

People forget Ordway did color for the Bruins (78-80) before he switched to the Celtics.

WEEI was also the home of the Bruins from 1990-4.

Ordway best showed his passion for the Bruins when he got into a shooting match with Jacobs after the Thornton trade.

The disdain for hockey came from Jason Wolfe and when he took over as program director when Entercom bought WEEI the orders were clear......little or no hockey talk. He let Dale Arnold and Bob Neumeier talk hockey but that was it.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Serge

Anyone else almost drive off the road today when Gresh (or Zolak, can't ever tell the difference) claimed that the new cap of 59.+Mil means that the Bruins may need to dump Bergeron? Do these guys even watch hockey?
Bergy, Chara, Seids, Hamilton, Seguin and possibly Rask are the only ones you absolutely have to keep. Everyone else is negotiable, IMHO.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Anyone else almost drive off the road today when Gresh (or Zolak, can't ever tell the difference) claimed that the new cap of 59.+Mil means that the Bruins may need to dump Bergeron? Do these guys even watch hockey?
Bergy, Chara, Seids, Hamilton, Seguin and possibly Rask are the only ones you absolutely have to keep. Everyone else is negotiable, IMHO.
Frankly, I'd be shocked if those guys DIDN'T say something stupid.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
They also said the next move was on the owners.. which made me think the NHLPA made a quick counter.

Which they did not.. so I am still confused on that one.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Heard that as well. Yikes. Not quite as stupid as this drivel, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRyA8bGoGBo

Old
10-18-2012, 04:55 PM
08SeaBass08
Lucic and Chong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
Not quite as stupid as this drivel, though.

Consider the source of the drivel, and it's no surprise how stupid it is.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Serge

Quote:

Yep, those folks make Gresh and Zolak look like visionaries.

Old
10-19-2012, 07:57 AM
hoss75

Quote:

I have trouble believing this is for real.
I mean I believe it, but still.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
I have trouble believing this is for real.
I mean I believe it, but still.
When watching FOX News is more important to your show "research" than actual sporting events, I absolutely believe it.

Closed Thread