HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Halfboard
New Look

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Phonetics

Seriously, it is a bow or a tip of the cap to our good friends north of the border who pronounce the word that way. No harm meant.
That aboat sums it up.........................

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Matt

Jeff and JD's relationship goes back to grade school. And if you guys would know Jeff personally like I do, you would have a different opinion of the man.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:49 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
As far as "well respected" that really depends on who you are talking to in the hockey community.
Who in the hockey community have you spoken with that did not respect Rimer? Personally, I don't care for his TV work, but I know nothing about him away from there. If his connections to Davidson help in bringing him here, great.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:36 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Like many, i enjoy Jeff's unaffected and knowledgeable broadcasts. He's also a good guy who loves the game and the fans. That Jeff regards JD as his close friend leads me to believe JD would be the fans' ally in fixing the CBJ.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Why is this starting to turn into another Jeff Rimer argument?

It shouldn't go beyond the fact: Jeff Rimer knows John Davidson, and may or may not be a part of bringing JD into the fold here.

Like the guy or not, to me he seems like a generally nice guy that (mind you, this is based solely on what I've seen on TV) seems to be liked by the people he talks to. Be it fellow commentators, players, coaches, GMs, execs, etc ...

If this plays a part in bringing him to our franchise, great. But I think bashing him and calling him petty names is missing the point completely.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:00 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
It shouldn't go beyond the fact: Jeff Rimer knows John Davidson, and may or may not be a part of bringing JD into the fold here.
Rimer knows pretty much everyone in hockey. So.

Quote:
Like the guy or not, to me he seems like a generally nice guy that (mind you, this is based solely on what I've seen on TV) seems to be liked by the people he talks to. Be it fellow commentators, players, coaches, GMs, execs, etc ...
Yes, he is generally a nice guy.

Quote:
If this plays a part in bringing him to our franchise, great. But I think bashing him and calling him petty names is missing the point completely.
I don't care if Rimer helps bring anyone into the franchise. He's a TV guy, he shouldn't have any influence one way or another nor should we be hoping he does. What we should hope for is that if he actually the right guy ownership does the job of bringing him him.

As far as name calling. He is a name dropper. He is a suck up. Petty? Not really. Accurate, yes.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Who in the hockey community have you spoken with that did not respect Rimer? Personally, I don't care for his TV work, but I know nothing about him away from there. If his connections to Davidson help in bringing him here, great.
Let's assume for a second that I haven't talked to anyone. Simple observation of his partner(s) in the TV booth should be enough evidence to suggest that he isn't as respected as you may think.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:10 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Let's assume for a second that I haven't talked to anyone.
That's easy to do.

Quote:
Simple observation of his partner(s) in the TV booth should be enough evidence to suggest that he isn't as respected as you may thing.
I don't "thing" one way or the other and I don't presume to know. I asked you to provide support for your contention that there were those in the hockey community who do not respect Rimer and you have provided only your opinion based on what you see on TV.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Why is this starting to turn into another Jeff Rimer argument?

I totally agree

Let's stay classy CBJ fans

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Let's assume for a second that I haven't talked to anyone.
Your knowledge of JD's reputation and apparent doubt that he would bring integrity to our front office for the first time basically confirms that you have not talked to anyone within the hockey world that is worth a damn. Not that I have either, but I'm not claiming so.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Would it be fair to compare Rimer with Pierre McGuire? They have quirks on air that give certain "impressions" to people, but in real life are nice guys who love the sport?

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Would it be fair to compare Rimer with Pierre McGuire? They have quirks on air that give certain "impressions" to people, but in real life are nice guys who love the sport?
That's a fair statement. To follow up on my above post: I can't stand his play by play voice, nor his annoying metaphors and comments, but that doesn't mean he is a bad guy, or that he is in any way/shape/form harming our franchise or the sport. It's the same with Pierre McGuire.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:57 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Um, ok so anyway. JD update.

Quote:
"It was a good weekend," Davidson told The Dispatch today via text message. "My wife and I were treated very well. All first class. No decisions yet, as this has been a whirlwind. This will be an important decision for myself, my family and for the Blue Jackets. They have a great set-up there, and we were very impressed with the city."

Davidson would not say if the Blue Jackets had extended him a contract offer.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...-two-days.html

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:32 PM
JacketFanInFL

Quote:
@Aportzline: #CBJ president Mike Priest on John Davidson's visit this weekend: "We enjoyed the time we spent with John and Diana this weekend ... "
Quote:
@Aportzline: More Priest: "... and look forward to speaking with him again very soon."
From this and BlueJacketsXtra, sounds like the weekend went well. I'd wager an offer was extended.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:42 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Get it done MaC and Priest

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:37 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
no. Pierre is good on television

10-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Matt

Until this weekend I didn't know Pierre was part american. His great aunts were born in North Dakato before it was a state

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:01 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
The thing about this is I'm sure Jeff had filled in John on the organization's and front office's inside story. Thus, Davidson taking the job might be a good sign of what JD thinks of it, or gets promised.

(And Hi Jeff!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
No matter what you think of Rims as a play-by-play guy, he is well respected in the hockey community. He has been around this sport for a long, long time. Long before some of you were conceived.
I've liked Rimer since I started watching the CBJ & have said on here before that I like the fact that he's the type of guy that's probably forgotten more about hockey than this fan will ever know. If he can use that input/those connections/opinions to get this done, more power to him, because this would be a "ginormous" (Thanks George) hiring and especially when you take into account...well...the decisions of the front office in the past.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFanInFL View Post
From this and BlueJacketsXtra, sounds like the weekend went well. I'd wager an offer was extended.

But what would you wager on the offer that was extended being accepted?

We can only hope!

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Stretch Factor

No question in my mind an offer was extended. 3 reasons make me sure of this.
1. No way they would let him get back on a plane without an offer. Especially when they know, he knows, and the whole world knows, he's THE guy. It's not like a coaching search where you can interview multiple candidates. We're interviewing no one else, because we're creating a position for him and him only.
2. They wouldn't tell him to bring his wife if they weren't trying to hire him, he wouldn't bring his wife if he weren't interested in being hired.
3. If they didn't extend him an offer, why would he say- "This will be an important decision for myself, my family and for the Blue Jackets." Seriously, what's to decide if there is no offer?

JD and Mrs. JD went home and are currently talking it over. I fully expect he will be calling Columbus home in the not too distant future. Only thing that could screw this up now is Mrs. JD.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:56 PM
blahblah

A lot of assumptions in there Stretch. Might be accurate, might not be. A lot of things can screw this up. For example salary demands. Not even going to speculate if an offer was made. One will likely be made if it hasn't already. Who cares if it was made this weekend or not.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Only thing that could screw this up now is Mrs. JD.
I'm fully prepared to blame Boomer.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Your knowledge of JD's reputation and apparent doubt that he would bring integrity to our front office for the first time basically confirms that you have not talked to anyone within the hockey world that is worth a damn. Not that I have either, but I'm not claiming so.
I'm sorry, what knowledge of JD's reputation did I discuss? I don't remember weighing on the current integrity of the front office and whether or not he would bring any additional integrity to it. I didn't make a claim as such. I was talking about JR. If you are going to dump on me, do it for the right reasons. I made an off handed joke about the sanity of someone being best buds with JR, but that was the total extent of it.

As it so happens, I have a few texts in regards to Davidson. Of which I am NOT going to even give you a hint of what is in said texts. The texts have not played any impact on any post I have made to this point.

My suspicion is that he will be hired. That is a total guess. I will have mixed feelings about it. After he's hired if people corner me with a beer I will consider discussing it in greater detail (of which the information in the texts will not be discussed).

Old
10-15-2012, 02:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
That's easy to do.

I don't "thing" one way or the other and I don't presume to know. I asked you to provide support for your contention that there were those in the hockey community who do not respect Rimer and you have provided only your opinion based on what you see on TV.
I will not spread hearsay from sources I do have. I don't ask for any insider, however I do, on occasion, receive it. The information I do have is supported by what I witness. If you choose to ignore Gare or Davidson rolling their eyes at Rimer, that's your choice. Therefore I am inclined to believe those sources. If you don't, frankly Pete I could honestly give a crap less. You are free to have your opinion. It doesn't make mine or yours any more or less valuable. Your snarkiness certainly wasn't valuable.

I have no doubt that Rimer is going to have a lot of fans and for the most part he seems a decent enough guy. However "respected around the league"? Well as I said that depends on who you talk to and it depends on the context (you know what he is supposed to be respected for?).

I rolled my eyes at the thought of Rimer working in the background with his supposed childhood friend. Never asked if he was, never bothered to research it. Don't want Rimer involved. I want this to be between the owner and Davidson. Just like I don't want Howson involved. At some point it would be nice if Rimer found a new job. I am kind of tired of him repeating the same stuff over and over for the entire game. If him and JD are best buds, that isn't going to happen.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You are free to have your opinion. It doesn't make mine or yours any more or less valuable.
I agree about the relative value of our opinions.