HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OKC Barons @ Lake Erie Monsters 10/13 11:00AM MDT Barons Revenge Or Monster Mash 2?

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
A serviceable NHLer indeed...Dvorak was a valuable player. He would fill an important roll for the Oilers if things play out that way.

Why would you be disappointed about that?
Good comparison. Dvorak never became what people expected, but still carved out a solid NHL career. That said, with our top 6 not being big or physical I don't think we can afford to have that type of player in the bottom 6. Paajarvi will make a fine 3rd liner, I just don't think it will be on our team.

Pitlick on the other hand has me very excited. A poor man's Kesler would make for an excellent 3rd line C.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:37 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Appreciate the player analysis.

Very good to hear about Schultz and the Tuebert news doesn't really surprise me. Never really saw much in his game that was transferable to the NHL level.
Paajarvi is looking more and more like he will be Radek Dvorak. A solid 3rd line NHL player....nothing wrong with that except for the fact that Dvorak clones are generally not 1st round selections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If that's all that Paajarvi turns out to be I'll admit that I'll be a little disappointed, however a serviceable NHLer > a bust any way you slice it.
Dvorek was a first rounder taken 10th overall

Old
10-14-2012, 07:38 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
How has Lander looked for far

Old
10-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Teubert has a 10cent hockey brain. Never expected anything from this player. I think the AHL is probably too much of a challenge for him.
He played well enough in his short stints with us last year I expect him to get some more time in the NHL in the future probably 3rd pairing only and will fill a bit of depth role in his later years. He's not a rocket scientist, but he doesn't have to be, he is a meat and potatoes defenseman the simpler he keeps things the better. He just needs to work his butt off and listen to the coaches and he'll be fine.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Free*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Lol, beauty.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Good comparison. Dvorak never became what people expected, but still carved out a solid NHL career. That said, with our top 6 not being big or physical I don't think we can afford to have that type of player in the bottom 6. Paajarvi will make a fine 3rd liner, I just don't think it will be on our team.

Pitlick on the other hand has me very excited. A poor man's Kesler would make for an excellent 3rd line C.
Pitlick is what the Oilers are lacking in their top 6, some size and grit. He maybe that 2nd line C, but Nelson thinks he's more suited to be a RW power forward, which the Oilers do not have. I cannot see how you would think of him as a 3rd line player, just had to watch the first 2 games to see he's a top 6 player.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:27 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Pitlick is what the Oilers are lacking in their top 6, some size and grit. He maybe that 2nd line C, but Nelson thinks he's more suited to be a RW power forward, which the Oilers do not have. I cannot see how you would think of him as a 3rd line player, just had to watch the first 2 games to see he's a top 6 player.
Pitlick has always looked good in the AHL games I've seen but he's like POS in that he doesn't produce. Until he has one year at PPG in the AHL - call me unimpressed. Our forwards last year on the Barons were nothing special outside of Keller and Acrobello. Lots of grinders with no hands. MPS fit right in.

Regardless, Pitlick >>>>> Hamilton. No idea what people see in Curtis Hamilton.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
SDig14

I remember just a short time ago people were voting on our prospects list and were voting for guys like Marincin, Lander, Hamilton, and a couple other guys ahead of Pitlick before even seeing the kid play.

I knew people's tune would change seeing him play full time as a sophomore. This is the first year he will ever play a 2nd consecutive year with the same team so he will definitely be more comfortable.

He had to adjust at Mankato and by the time he did he already left to Med Hat. After finally starting to click there he got hurt, and then went straight to OKC for his rookie pro year.

IMO, this year will be his coming out party in the ahl and next year he's gonna come to camp with very high expectations and confidence.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:31 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Good catch...the similarities between these players abound.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:39 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post

The soft top 6 is a concern but I don't see that as a reason why Paajarvi becomes expendable. I think that does underscore another reason why Paajarvi wont be a top 6 player on this team.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
A serviceable NHLer indeed...Dvorak was a valuable player. He would fill an important roll for the Oilers if things play out that way.

Why would you be disappointed about that?
Because I had higher hopes for him. Seeing him at the WJC's I felt that he had more of an offensive element than he has shown at the pro level. Unless he is driving to the net hard, dishing the puck, or onetiming it it seems that his offensive capabilities are a lot more limited than I had hoped at least at this point in his career. That said we have an abundance of offensive wingers here so it's not as big of a deal as if we didn't have those guys here.

One more thing, I would have to admit that jadeddog was right and I was wrong, and that's not something that I'm willing to do just yet

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 10-14-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old
10-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I remember just a short time ago people were voting on our prospects list and were voting for guys like Marincin, Lander, Hamilton, and a couple other guys ahead of Pitlick before even seeing the kid play.

I knew people's tune would change seeing him play full time as a sophomore. This is the first year he will ever play a 2nd consecutive year with the same team so he will definitely be more comfortable.

He had to adjust at Mankato and by the time he did he already left to Med Hat. After finally starting to click there he got hurt, and then went straight to OKC for his rookie pro year.

IMO, this year will be his coming out party in the ahl and next year he's gonna come to camp with very high expectations and confidence.
This was my prospects rankings at the end of last year's TC:

1) C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2) D Oscar Klefbom
3) D Jeff Petry
4) C Anton Lander
5) C/RW Tyler Pitlick
6) D Martin Marincin
7) C Ryan Martindale
8) LW Teemu Hartikainen
9) D David Musil
10) G Tyler Bunz

Many laughed at Hamilton not being there, Pitlick being too high, and Martindale even being there. IMO right now that list doesn't look too bad with the exception of Pitlick and Lander swapping places and maybe Marincin leaping ahead of Lander as well. Lander IMO screams 3rd line NHL center to me, hard to play against, solid defensively, and some offensive skills as well. We have some very solid complimentary prospects on the way IMO and Pitlick is leading the charge.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:37 PM
jadeddog

i've been banging the "paajarvi is another dvorak" drum for a couple years now, and i'm still convinced of it... by no means do i mean that as an insult to paajarvi as well.... i've said many times that him being dvorak v2.0 would be just fine by me, and that he would be a useful player for us (just like dvorak was in his time)... a fast, big-bodied, defensive winger, who can kill penalties and slide into your top-6 in a pinch is a very valuable player

there is nothing wrong with paajarvi becoming dvorak, in fact we should be very pleased if that turns out to be the case

Old
10-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i've been banging the "paajarvi is another dvorak" drum for a couple years now
If you have any posts from 2010 stating this I wouldnt be offended if you posted them.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:45 PM
SDig14

Quote:
This was my prospects rankings at the end of last year's TC:

1) C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2) D Oscar Klefbom
3) D Jeff Petry
4) C Anton Lander
5) C/RW Tyler Pitlick
6) D Martin Marincin
7) C Ryan Martindale
8) LW Teemu Hartikainen
9) D David Musil
10) G Tyler Bunz

Many laughed at Hamilton not being there, Pitlick being too high, and Martindale even being there. IMO right now that list doesn't look too bad with the exception of Pitlick and Lander swapping places and maybe Marincin leaping ahead of Lander as well. Lander IMO screams 3rd line NHL center to me, hard to play against, solid defensively, and some offensive skills as well. We have some very solid complimentary prospects on the way IMO and Pitlick is leading the charge.
I tend to agree with that list.

Obviously I love Pitlick's game, so I have him essentially as our best prospect behind Klefbom at the moment.

At this point, it's tough to rank him against a guy like Petry because of the age difference, so ill leave Petry off the list after last year.

Thankfully, we just have so much talent up front that we just need a couple solid role players to develop properly and we will be a very good offensive team. Hopefully Lander and Pitlick can be those guys.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If you have any posts from 2010 stating this I wouldnt be offended if you posted them.
I remember arguing against him when he stated that so based on memory alone I recall it happening. I actually posted about it before he posted his last post

Quote:
I tend to agree with that list.

Obviously I love Pitlick's game, so I have him essentially as our best prospect behind Klefbom at the moment.

At this point, it's tough to rank him against a guy like Petry because of the age difference, so ill leave Petry off the list after last year.

Thankfully, we just have so much talent up front that we just need a couple solid role players to develop properly and we will be a very good offensive team. Hopefully Lander and Pitlick can be those guys.
I'd have Schultz ahead of him as well naturally. That said I've liked Pitlick from the first time that I've seen him play.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Pitlick has always looked good in the AHL games I've seen but he's like POS in that he doesn't produce. Until he has one year at PPG in the AHL - call me unimpressed. Our forwards last year on the Barons were nothing special outside of Keller and Acrobello. Lots of grinders with no hands. MPS fit right in.

That's all we need from players like him. Physical play and grit. If he can chip in offensively, that's a bonus.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Yup in Stockton.
That makes a lot of sense .....

Old
10-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Appreciate the player analysis.

Very good to hear about Schultz and the Tuebert news doesn't really surprise me. Never really saw much in his game that was transferable to the NHL level.
Paajarvi is looking more and more like he will be Radek Dvorak. A solid 3rd line NHL player....nothing wrong with that except for the fact that Dvorak clones are generally not 1st round selections.
Ironically, Dvorak was also a 10th overall pick...

Edit: crap, didn't realize it'd already been brought up.

Scary thing is, early in his career, Dvorak appeared to have a lot more of an offensive game than Paajarvi does and had to round out his defensive game (which he did effectively).

Paajarvi, on the other hand, appears far more defensively polished than a young Dvorak did.

If his offensive game doesn't pan out, maybe Magnus could turn into a Jere Lehtinen type defensive winger.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:36 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
That's all we need from players like him. Physical play and grit. If he can chip in offensively, that's a bonus.
For a 31st pick, it's disappointing. I was a huge Pitlick booster last year but the stats don't lie. He tore through the Marlies and Bulldogs D in the live games I saw but had no finish nor was he a good playmaker. Great speed and Hemsky-like stick-handling but nothing happened once he got close to the net.

I see him as a chippy 3rd liner who may provide offense in the future. It may have been better for him to spend the extra year in the juniors to develop his offensive game.

On the flipside, great to hear Davidson (my fav. D prospect) getting some praise lately. He's no Schultz but could be a Petry clone for us.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:00 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Players who never had a ppg season in the AHL...........

Ryan Kesler
James Neal
Loui Eriksson
Patrick Sharp
Zach Parise
Joffrey Lupul
Patrice Bergeron
Thomas Vanek

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 10-15-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old
10-15-2012, 01:08 AM
McArthur

Quote:

Ryan Kesler
James Neal
Loui Eriksson
Patrick Sharp
Zach Parise
Joffrey Lupul
Patrice Bergeron
Thomas Vanek
Who are they? Anyone know when this Schultz guy is gonna find his AHL game?

Old
10-15-2012, 01:34 AM
SDig14

Quote:

Ryan Kesler
James Neal
Loui Eriksson
Patrick Sharp
Zach Parise
Joffrey Lupul
Patrice Bergeron
Thomas Vanek
Sadly, even if this list were ten times as long it probably still wouldn't make some people realize that not every rookie walks into the AHL and is a PPG player.

The fact is the AHL is a professional league and its not an easy task to ask 21-22 year old rookies and sophomores to dominate offensively against men.

I still think Pitlick will have a very good sophomore year, but some people's expectations of what our prospects should be able to achieve is far too high unfortunately.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:43 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Sadly, even if this list were ten times as long it probably still wouldn't make some people realize that not every rookie walks into the AHL and is a PPG player.

The fact is the AHL is a professional league and its not an easy task to ask 21-22 year old rookies and sophomores to dominate offensively against men.

I still think Pitlick will have a very good sophomore year, but some people's expectations of what our prospects should be able to achieve is far too high unfortunately.
I think the problem comes with looking at stat sheets instead of watching the player play and recognizing his skill set.

I havent watched much of Pitlick or the Barons at all tbh. I saw Pitlick in the pre-season with the Oilers last year and Ive seen parts of the first two regular season games this year. He seems to have improved over that time imo with my limited viewings. The last Baron's game he was one of the best players on the team.

He can skate, shoot, and hit. He does all those things pretty well. He should be ok, but its not easy to break into the NHL. Fact is most second round picks never make it. I think it is approx 20% that ever make it for more than a cup of coffee.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:04 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
For a 31st pick, it's disappointing. I was a huge Pitlick booster last year but the stats don't lie. He tore through the Marlies and Bulldogs D in the live games I saw but had no finish nor was he a good playmaker. Great speed and Hemsky-like stick-handling but nothing happened once he got close to the net.

I see him as a chippy 3rd liner who may provide offense in the future. It may have been better for him to spend the extra year in the juniors to develop his offensive game.

On the flipside, great to hear Davidson (my fav. D prospect) getting some praise lately. He's no Schultz but could be a Petry clone for us.
I haven't seen tons of Davidson, but having seen a lot of Petry at the same age, I must say that I don't see Davidson having a very good chance of being a Petry clone at all. Marincin has a better shot at being a Petry type of a prospect and I'm not sure that I want to go there just yet.

Closed Thread