HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf - next contracts

Old
10-14-2012, 07:50 PM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
No, what's silly is you missing the point. His point wasn't that Getzlaf couldn't leave, but that it's likely he doesn't leave. You keep insisting that this is about money, and I can't help but think it's because you feel your team can offer the most lucrative contract, but that's not the only motivating factor for a player to sign with a team.
It's always about money. That's why I feel it will be about money.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
And that means what exactly? I can provide countless examples of rich owners who don't spend money.

Just because they have the money doesn't mean they will spend it on an already money-losing operation and therefore lose much more money.
Now you're just arguing to argue. Can you provide me with an example of said owner not spending money to keep the players they want? No, because no such example exists. When push comes to shove, the owners of the Anaheim franchise have been willing to spend to retain key players, and when they feel the time is right to make a Cup run.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Really? Is that why Scott Niedermayer took less money to play with his brother, when he was offered more to stay in New Jersey? Is that why Selanne has continually taken less than he's been worth, because he wants to stay in Anaheim? The facts don't really support you here, pal.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
If it was all about the money then why is Toronto so starved for Star power?

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Sutter16

Quote:
No,it's not always about money. Crosby took 104.4 million over 12 years. Now that's a ton of money,but i guarantee you alot of teams would have made a higher offer. He took a "discount" to stay here.He wants cups. He has enough money.Idk if he would have accepted any offer higher then 8.7 million though.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 11:36 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
If it was all about the money then why is Toronto so starved for Star power?
Because burke wont sign long term deals

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 11:38 PM
McTank

Quote:
Really? Is that why Scott Niedermayer took less money to play with his brother, when he was offered more to stay in New Jersey? Is that why Selanne has continually taken less than he's been worth, because he wants to stay in Anaheim? The facts don't really support you here, pal.
Why did leino go to buffalo? Why did suter go to minnesota? Why did weber sign with philly? There are way more examples supporting his argument than against

Old
10-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Why did leino go to buffalo? Why did suter go to minnesota? Why did weber sign with philly? There are way more examples supporting his argument than against
His argument was verbatim it is ALWAYS about money. Multiple exceptions have been provided, meaning his argument is incorrect.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 12:43 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
And that means what exactly? I can provide countless examples of rich owners who don't spend money.

Just because they have the money doesn't mean they will spend it on an already money-losing operation and therefore lose much more money.
And Henry Samuelli would not be one of them, case closed

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 12:45 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
They offer the most money.
To be centered by Bozak instead of his best friend Getzlaf....

Old
10-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Italian President

Quote:
Sumter would have been payed more in Detroit, and Weber wanted to play for a cup contending team, Anaheim is prepared to pay as much as Toronto, there is simply no reason people pretend they're on either players short list.

Italian President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
No, it actually doesn't, because his argument was that "It's always about money." All I've said is that money is not the only motivating factor, and clearly it isn't, since there are examples of players who sign contracts with more in mind than getting as much money as they possibly can.

I can summarize his entire argument, for why he feels Getzlaf and Perry will sign with Toronto over Anaheim as "Toronto can pay more." which he can't even prove to begin with, but he continues to infer that Toronto is a more likely destination. He's even used the money argument against Getzlaf raising a family here, constant claims that he enjoys living in Southern California, and Getzlaf's own statement that he wants to stay with one team throughout his career. According to him, "Money talks." and all else is irrelevant.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:13 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian President View Post
Sumter would have been payed more in Detroit, and Weber wanted to play for a cup contending team, Anaheim is prepared to pay as much as Toronto, there is simply no reason people pretend they're on either players short list.
Assuming you mean Suter there and in point of fact Detroit offered less. They were not willing to meet the figures Minnesota went to because of what that cap hit represented. Believe it or not Detroit runs with the cap in mind and manage according to that.

13 years and 90 million was their final offer to him. They felt it was competitive and were not moving off that figure. That doesn't even get into whether or not they were interested in the kinds of bonuses dished out. I am assuming they had to be to advance as deep as they did, but that hasn't been reported and they have tinkered with pay a little in the past but not to the degree those contracts were loaded.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Italian President

Either way, Toronto has about 7mil in cap space, assuming CBA doesn't change cap, that's simply not enough to sign both players, the Ducks have about 14, that's enough to give them nice fat contracts and still have 8 million to spare.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:28 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think Weber would have signed that offer sheet if the team wasn't as stacked as Philadelphia.

Suter would have been paid more in Philadelphia, I think, but not in Detroit. Detroit offered 13/88 according to Khan, our beat writer, with no chance to counter.

But I tend to agree, most of the time it's all about the money.. One has to just look out the situation where the NHL is now.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:01 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Either way, Toronto has about 7mil in cap space, assuming CBA doesn't change cap, that's simply not enough to sign both players, the Ducks have about 14, that's enough to give them nice fat contracts and still have 8 million to spare.
not that i think the leafs have a chance at signing either perry or getzlaf but if the only think stopping burke from getting one/both of them was money im pretty sure he would find a way to clear the space for them.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Italian President

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
not that i think the leafs have a chance at signing either perry or getzlaf but if the only think stopping burke from getting one/both of them was money im pretty sure he would find a way to clear the space for them.
If Burke is paying top dollar, he'd need about 9 mil or so for each, minimum. I just don't think that's possible.

Old
10-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Darlotto99

depends on the next CBA if contracts are capped at 6 to 8 years like the owners want then both will be leafs at max $$$/contract length. Burke will over pay to land the two

Darlotto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
both will be leafs at max $$$ when the CBA done. Burke will over pay to land the two
How is Toronto going to pay for both?

Old
10-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Italian President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
depends on the next CBA if contracts are capped at 6 to 8 years like the owners want then both will be leafs at max $$$/contract length. Burke will over pay to land the two
They have 7 mil in cap space, even if Burke frees up an extra 2, they still could barely land 1 player, baring the fact it's not a free agent destination at ALL. They could play with Lupul who seemed to get along with them when he played here? Maybe the only possible reason, they'd have to take a huuuuuuuuge pay cut to both go, and Burke isn't dumb, he won't ruin his cap space to land these guys. There's no other way to put it. Getzlaf and Perry aren't coming to Toronto.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Brodeur has taken less his whole entire career to help the Devils

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:52 PM
McTank

Quote:
No, it actually doesn't, because his argument was that "It's always about money." All I've said is that money is not the only motivating factor, and clearly it isn't, since there are examples of players who sign contracts with more in mind than getting as much money as they possibly can.

I can summarize his entire argument, for why he feels Getzlaf and Perry will sign with Toronto over Anaheim as "Toronto can pay more." which he can't even prove to begin with, but he continues to infer that Toronto is a more likely destination. He's even used the money argument against Getzlaf raising a family here, constant claims that he enjoys living in Southern California, and Getzlaf's own statement that he wants to stay with one team throughout his career. According to him, "Money talks." and all else is irrelevant.
Fair enough, I agree it isnt always about the money but it often is. Getzlaf seems like he could be an exception for sure but I thought the same about parise. I really doubt the leafs would be at the top of his list if he did choose to leave aswell.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:52 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

You could argue the Sedins took less to stay in Vancouver, because they were a package deal, Getzlaf and Perry ARE a package deal to

Old
10-15-2012, 03:54 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
You could argue the Sedins took less to stay in Vancouver, because they were a package deal, Getzlaf and Perry ARE a package deal to
Too*

How so?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
Too*

How so?
There isn't anything to justify what he said. They're friends, but that doesn't mean that it's all or nothing.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote